Lunch Report - Wednesday March 30th

Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:36 pm

OK,
so lets call this an early dinner report. I know, I Suck.
So, back to work is no fun although that's no excuse (unless you are taking it).
So, for lunch today I was back to my protein bars. Ate a chocolate graham bar and a cup of water.
Yum. Alot different than the shrimp and low country boil I was eating this weekend.
I have been on a diet where you just eat these bars and shakes. Lost 75lbs but man, I miss food. We got re-aquinted this weekend and I think I am in love all over again :)
So for the G&L topic, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were of the overseas made guitars. The idea of being able to get the same MFD pickups in a backup guitar that are in my #1 axe ASAT is very enticing. Yet the used market for US G&L's makes getting a budget US version pretty inexepensive. any player reviews of the imports?
I have heard GREAT things and just would like to hear some first hand reports.

Off topic, The belly cut on guitars was made for people like me. Aging musicians that enjoy good food and drink too much. Question, does it help?
(I think we are going to need a bigger piece of wood or a sharper blade!)

Re: Lunch Report - Wednesday March 30th

Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Had a leftover piece of pizza for lunch and it was as good as yesterday.

Tribute G&Ls are a fantastic buy. I have one tribute and the fretwork on my particular guitar is not as perfect as the American models as I can not lower the action as low without a bit of buzz but they are excellent quality. The Plek on the American models really makes them perfect.

If I ordered an ASAT I would get both the belly and arm cut. -- Darwin

Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:49 pm

Hey Mike!

mikenov wrote:OK,
so lets call this an early dinner report. I know, I Suck.

No problem. Sorry, didn't mean to step on any toes with stepping in. If so I apologize for that.

So, back to work is no fun although that's no excuse (unless you are taking it).
So, for lunch today I was back to my protein bars. Ate a chocolate graham bar and a cup of water.
Yum. Alot different than the shrimp and low country boil I was eating this weekend.
I have been on a diet where you just eat these bars and shakes. Lost 75lbs but man, I miss food. We got re-aquinted this weekend and I think I am in love all over again :)

I can relate. I lost 50 lbs. on protein shakes, vegetables, and water. I gained some of it back, but still looked a LOT healthier, and am now actively trying to lean down and amp up the cardio/conditioning.

So for the G&L topic, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were of the overseas made guitars. The idea of being able to get the same MFD pickups in a backup guitar that are in my #1 axe ASAT is very enticing. Yet the used market for US G&L's makes getting a budget US version pretty inexepensive. any player reviews of the imports?

If I gigged, I'd probably consider it. As a primarily basement-player, I just stick to a few well-made U.S. instruments. That said, I also tend to buy used or else probably could not afford everything I currently have.

As it stands, since I don't have to worry about the rigors of gigs I play U.S. made. I HAVE heard good things about the G&L imports though, so would be interested in that as well. When my daughter gets older and wants a nice but not THAT nice of a guitar I think that would be awesome! Plus, it is a relatively inexpensive way to try out different models. Something I've been wanting to do more of as I branch out and like some of the different options that I had previously not gotten around to trying/owning.

The belly cut . . . I never had a problem with non-belly cut guitars. I DO like the ergonomics if for no other reason than it seems progressive and as a just-in-case. I HAVE noticed a difference since getting an S-style, but just think I've learned to deal with the non-belly cut guitars and don't think for me it makes enough of a difference to go out of my way to get one over the other. The contours do seem like great ideas though.

-Cheers

Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:59 pm

Mike, congrats on losing so much weight, you must feel a lot better. I've been doing the opposite, stacking it on....

My Classic S has a belly and forearm cut. I haven't noticed any difference with the belly cut as I wear my guitar too high on the strap. THe forearm cut makes your arm approach the bridge from a different angle, thus it sits in a different position than on a slab body. No big deal and you can get used to it in less than a minute. My preference is for slab bodies, purely for feel and look.

I used to own a Tribute L-2000 that was made in Japan. It was a very, very nicely made guitar. I can't comment on the new Indonesian ones as I don't own one. The ones I've played have been very good though.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:14 pm

Halowords wrote:No problem. Sorry, didn't mean to step on any toes with stepping in. If so I apologize for that.

Hey Halowords, no problem. I think I am making you look bad here.
Sorry I am not on my game.

The big thing on the Tributes I have heard is they use the same pickups and electronics as the US made ones. That by itself is a huge selling point if true. I had an Ibanez cheapy hollow body I put good pickups in and that was enough to make it a good player.

I also didn't know G&L Plek'd their guitars. That's pretty sweet !
Man, learning a ton here.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:20 pm

I bought my first two G&Ls, a S-500 and a Legacy back in the mid-90s, so I'm accustomed to the USA-made quality. I made my living playing music for a long time, and even though I'm a mere weekend warrior now, I feel I deserve a fine instrument. So, the Tributes don't offer a lot of appeal to me, since I have already have 16 G&Ls. All are Legacy bodies, except for one lone ASAT Deluxe. Out of those 16, two are Comanches, two S-500s, and two Legacy Specials. I really don't care for ASAT body, but if I wanted another (I had an ASAT Classic SH and traded it for a Comanche), a Tribute model might be the way to go.

I do recommend the Tributes; I agree that they are very fine values. And if you're not filthy rich, or a guitar snob like me--there's plenty to love.

The belly and arm cut do wonders for the strat body, but I seem to be able to play dreadnought acoustics, Les Pauls and 335s okay without it. Never had one on a tele, but it seems somewhat sacreligious, LOL!

Bill
Last edited by Boogie Bill on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:31 pm

Lemon Pepper Wings for DINNER....TWO HOURS AGO!!!...lol

i've never tried a G&L Tribute but have read mostly good about them...i figure they're like a few other good import brands in that they're very good guitars and great for the money...but i'm trying to stop buying them and stick with USA (and one MIJ Dean i have) just cuz i always sell them after a while to pay for a USA...i've just gotten spoiled in the last few years by very refined guitars...i recently acquired an ES335 and immediately realized i've wasted a lot of time and money by not having bought one 6 years ago...instead trying to cover that sound cheaper...hmmm...think i strayed from topic here...lol

i've never needed the contours but i'm sure enjoying the feel of the guitars i have with them...it IS something i'll consider in future GASquisitions...

Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi Mike,

That is nothing to sneeze at losing that much wieght. Great job! I have slowly regained the 20 or lb I lost 4 years ago. Plan to take the bicycle again to get to work in downtown this spring/summer to lose a bit again.

Beyond some well know foreign builders (think Ibanez), some domestic companies make great 'out of America' guitars. I think PRS but especially G&L are at the top of the heap, but maybe it is because the designs have a lot in common with the domestic instruments. All I have heard about Tributes is that they are great. Just so happens I am one of these guitar snobs Boogie Bill was alluding to. But I wish these guitars were there when I started playing about 30 years ago. I would have been able to play an instrument that more than like would still be in my harem. That in sharp contrast to the LP knock-off that I actually got and had the pleasure of completely demolishing except for the after market Schaller tuners that I took with me!

I am still wavering on the belly cut. On an S-type guitar is comes with the ' comfort contour body' by default. But I really like that plank shaped T-body. And although I have a couple of them, including Original Blues Boy #9 built for Tim 'Buffalo Bros.' Page which allegedly is the very first ASAT with a contour (correct me if I'm wrong on this), I cannot say that I like them better just because the shape. In short, I don't really notice anything different when I play either a contoured on non-contoured ASAT.

Time for dinner for realz!!

- Jos

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:06 pm

Congrats on the weight loss, hard work paid off for sure. :happy0065:

All of my ASAT's are US made but have played a few tribbys in stores, and while the imports are high quality and sound good I still lean to the born in the USA variety. The neck primarily is my reason, no 7.5 and only 12 and 13.75" in Deluxe and HB. I would actually like to try the ASAT HB for the Floyd, but still like the feel and color options from good ol' USA.

No belly cuts for me, I like the ASAT plank o' wood. They might have a comfort factor but does nothing for me.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Hello,
My G&L's are USA Models My Fender and Gibson are too.
I own a Tokai and Fernandes you can find a good used Fernandes cheap and the MIJ Fernandes are mostly dead on old Fender. Tokai are more money.
I like Tributes and have owned one. But it wasn't for me.

Chet

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:17 pm

For the "no thanks to belly cuts" crowd . . . Do you think the belly cut (a/o forearm cut for that matter) detracts in any way from the guitar?

-Cheers

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:44 pm

Congrats on the weight loss.

Unless I needed an instrument NOW I'd stay away from the Tribute series for the simple reason that a secondhand U.S.A. model can be had for a little more money. Plus, and I may be mistaken in this, so I'd like to have Craig or someone else chime in, I don't think a gun oil finish is available on import necks and to me, that is a make-it-or-break it detail.

I can take or leave belly cuts. When I play sitting down, I try to adopt classical position and when I'm standing, the guitar is also fairly angled to emulate this very same position, so belly cuts make little difference to me.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:42 pm

Halowords wrote:For the "no thanks to belly cuts" crowd . . . Do you think the belly cut (a/o forearm cut for that matter) detracts in any way from the guitar?

-Cheers

Good question. Personally, although I prefer the 'plank', as it was called above, I can live with a back contour. But together with a forearm contour on an ASAT it just looks weird. Especially when you look at the guitar from the side. I still would like to add an ASAT Classic S to the harem but I only want to have one without any contour which practically limits it to a '04 or '07 (Butterscotch Blonde please). Call me old-fashioned :zzz:

- Jos

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:34 am

As far as belly and forearm cuts, for me it detacts in that it just looks like part of the body is missing and I never found the cuts to add that much comfort. Just sayin'

Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:06 am

sam wrote:As far as belly and forearm cuts, for me it detacts in that it just looks like part of the body is missing and I never found the cuts to add that much comfort. Just sayin'

I hear ya'.

I am sort of ambivalent. Not in a bad way, but I love the idea yet unless I'm actively thinking about it I can't say NOT having those contours has ever bothered me. The Tele/ASAT do sort of have their own look. I'm not sure the contours really add or detract much for my taste although a carved-top (not necessarily in any given model) seems like enough of a compromise to me.

In theory, I think it's great, so all else being equal would probably go that way just because. However, the old-style slab-o-wood look has grown on me for some reason. Conclusion: I could not possibly be sitting on the fence more than I am, could I?

-Cheers

Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:08 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Halowords wrote:For the "no thanks to belly cuts" crowd . . . Do you think the belly cut (a/o forearm cut for that matter) detracts in any way from the guitar?

-Cheers

Good question. Personally, although I prefer the 'plank', as it was called above, I can live with a back contour. But together with a forearm contour on an ASAT it just looks weird. Especially when you look at the guitar from the side. I still would like to add an ASAT Classic S to the harem but I only want to have one without any contour which practically limits it to a '04 or '07 (Butterscotch Blonde please). Call me old-fashioned :zzz:

- Jos

check out my thread in Introductions....i just got my 2010 Classic S...no contours...

Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:56 pm

BadJaxx wrote:check out my thread in Introductions....i just got my 2010 Classic S...no contours...

I hear ya Jaxx. It is just that I collect Limited Editions and Special Build models. The Classic S until recently belonged to the Special Build category and had a couple of runs before it became a production model recently. The '04 run had no contours and a push-pull volume whereas the '07 run had no contours and a tone push-pull. Then there were a bunch built for the German and British market as well as some more runs domestically, but most if not all had contours if I remember correctly.

Did you specially have to order the absence of or does the Classic S now come standard without contours?

- Jos

Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:54 pm

ahhh...ok, i gotcha...

i'm 2nd owner of mine but believe it's stock without contours...i'm a G&L noob but i learn fast, lol...

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:19 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:And although I have a couple of them, including Original Blues Boy #9 built for Tim 'Buffalo Bros.' Page which allegedly is the very first ASAT with a contour (correct me if I'm wrong on this), ...

I found this entry in the Gallery of Brad Traweek's ASAT Classic 4-bolt protoype which also has a belly cut and predates my Blues Boy Contour by 2 years. So I correct myself ;) Would be nice for historical reasons to figure out when G&L started adding body contours on ASAT guitars.

And I should know better anyway since my ASAT bass Commemorative Edition has a back body contour too and was built in 1993. I had completely forgotten that basses, ASAT basses amongst them, usually have the rear 'belly' contour.

- Jos