Do you like to adjust or remove the neck on your G&L?

Sometimes I do just for the heck of it
8%
i am a triple black belt sigma 6 G&L adjuster and do it all the time
17%
NEVER everytime I work on my guitars an angel loses his wings
25%
I bring my guitar to a pro to fine tune and adjust it
50%

Total votes : 12

Lunch Report Tuesday, March 29th.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:56 am

Happy lunchtime everyone!
Just got back home a few hours ago. Been napping and recovering. We deffinately need some lunch. I will be heading up to a local place for Chinese I think. It's deffinately off diet but what the heck. It's technically still vacation time.
G&L topic of the day
Do you take your necks off?
Seriously, I never touch the neck of my guitar. I guess it kills the benefit of having a guitar you can adjust the neck on. I just know I won't ever get it to play right once I start messing with it. I wanna hear from the resident set up experts and see how they learned and got comfortable setting up their G&L's and what specifically about these beautiful axes makes them such great players.
Off topic of the day
is there any worse food than Airport food?
Holy cow they really have you trapped there. 6 dollar beer. 15$ sandwich. Terrible food. I have traveled allot and I am just wondering if we can come up with some sort of list or ranking.
I think I would put Airport food near the top.
Let me know your thoughts!
Last edited by mikenov on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Lunch Report Tuesday, March 29th.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:11 am

no lunch today...
i've taken a couple necks off but suffer from the same fear of it never playing right again so that's rare...
Mike...you've never been in jail, obviously...jail food is the worst, albeit, it's free...which just makes you yearn to be out and free...lol

Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:24 am

I haven't taken the neck off my G&L yet, I might be soon to shim it a little bit, see if I can make the setup that last bit better.

Can't comment, never been to an airport (no, I am not kidding)

Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:31 pm

mikenov wrote:Do you take your necks off?

I've only had set-necks for the last fifteen years until a couple of weeks ago. So, fortunately not! :shock:

Off topic of the day
is there any worse food than Airport food?

Some hospital food might be WORSE, although where I work it's great. It's certainly cheaper than an airport. Some of the larger airports have restaurants that, while ridiculously expensive, are not bad. The atmosphere and air are lacking in airports, they always seem kind of sterile though.

Oh yeah, for lunch, two small cupcakes, and a cookie w/ a small cup of tea from the Tea Cart ladies. Next Stop: Sugar Crash City!

-Cheers

Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi Mike,

Just came back from lunch at Tilikum Place in Seattle's Belltown and apparently killed one potential fellow country person by ordering a Dutch Baby, a baked pancake with a finocchiono salami from Salumi (a great local salami shop). Very tasty.

mikenov wrote:Do you take your necks off?

Yes, I do take the necks of to take picks of neck and body date stamps and/or other markings. At first I was very nervous about it, but having done almost my complete G&L collection it is now a 10 minute job. I check the intonation afterwards and haven;t had any problem yet. The first one was my Broadcaster with ebony fingerboard because I just had to see Leo's signature. I picked up a couple of tricks along the way that give me more confidence nothing will go wrong.

mikenov wrote:is there any worse food than Airport food?

My wife just flew back from the Netherlands and apparently there isn't! In olden days, before 9/11 and the TSA, picking up or dropping off people was alway a reason to go to the restaurant at SeaTac and order a bowl of Udon Noodles. Unfortunately quality has plummeted and it is hard to find good food at the airport at all. Let alone what they serve you in the plane :(

- Jos

Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:47 pm

BadJaxx wrote:Mike...you've never been in jail, obviously...jail food is the worst, albeit, it's free...which just makes you yearn to be out and free...lol

never say never ;)
I have been known to skirt the law but never did a sleep over. I guess I have been lucky.
Big wedding this weekend and if I had been in public I would have been elligible for a publicly funded vacation :o
So, I am hearing a mixed bag here so maybe the G&L question would have been a better poll. I may add that. Love to hear people's aproach to adjusting their bolt ons.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Took the neck off my old 1960 Strat back in the 70's when I got it. It needed a little more back angle. I wonder if the the business card I used is still in the pocket, LOL. I'm sure sure the new owner's ditched it. Not very high tech, but it worked.

As a rule, I won't take a neck off a guitar, unless it needs something done. Why bother? Why run the risk that something could damage the guitar? I don't need to know the dates of my modern G&L guitars. It's a useless factoid. I either like the guitar, or I don't. The date isn't going to change that, one way or the other. Certainly with the Micro-Tilt, there's really no reason to take a bolt neck off.

Now personally, I am less enamored of guitars made in the '70s--even though I have three of them. So buying a guitar from the '70s requires a little extra vetting on my part, but again, I like it or I don't.

Gibson did brazilian RW on a few of their Historic Les Pauls, only in 2003. So if you're trying to sell me a BRW Historic Flame Top '59--the dates should match up. Otherwise I'm not paying a premium for a guitar with a supposedly BRW fingerboard.

So I suppose there could be a few instances where I might want to know a date, but the bottom like is--I don't care. I like the guitar, or I don't.

I do most of the set-up work on my guitars, though I don't file nuts and saddles and I don't do fretwork. But I will do truss-rod adjustments and such.

Bill

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:55 pm

1. I took the neck off my Old Gibson Sonnex but that was in the 80s and I was more adventurous then. Haven't done it to the G&L and doubt that I ever will.

2. The worst food in the world is possibly at the Happy Panda Chinese Buffet on Eglinton Avenue in Toronto or at the place next to the Giant Tiger store in Prescott, Ontario.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:32 am

Hey, I know where the Happy Panda is, I used to live around the corner, lol.

Glad I never tried it!

Airport food sucks and the food on the planes themselves, horrid. I used to do a lot of traveling around the world, 10 years ago, domestic airline food was aweful, but if you went overseas and had the luxury of traveling business class, the food used to be spectacular. Alas, all gone now.

I do find that some smaller airports, buffalo, midway and such have some good restaurants in them, but you have to be very choosy.

Its too bad, because you have to go so early now for a flight so you may as well eat there...........