Lunch Report - Thursday March 17th

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:02 am

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!! Image

Lunch: In celebration of St. Paddy's I had .............. Taco Bell! I love Taco Bell. Including the controversial sorta meat like substance they use. Today I had a Tostada and a Double Decker Taco - it’s like a Taco and Burrito all wrapped up together. Awesome!! TB now has the Green Sauce in a packet. Yay!! I had to use about 10 of them for the Tostada, but hey, at least they brought it back. Healthy? Nope. But every now and then I just got to have some Taco Bell.

G&L Topic: 30th Anniversary Finishes
Has this been discussed? Probably when they first came out? Who’s actually seen one up close? I love them in the pictures. The ASAT Special just calls to me. :luv: Wants me to hold one, it really does. I’m not generally a “painted” finish type of guy. I’ve always gravitated towards burst finishes. I like to see the wood. But recently I was the recipient of a very dressed up White Heritage H555. And since then I’ve been bitten by the painted bug. And the 30ths just …. Wow! Wonder how they’ll hold up.

Non-G&L Topic: Other guitars
This has probably been brought up at lunch before. But, can it hurt to discuss it again? I’ve been spending most of my “forum” time on the Heritage Owner’s Club. Really, really like them for my non-solid body guitars. I say that because I don’t have a solid body Heritage. All of my H’s are semi’s. But talk about wonderful guitars. And someday I’ll have a solid body Heritage, too. Right after a 30th Anni ASAT Special!

Recently I’ve been gigging my Larrivee RS-2 and RS-4. My singer and I have been long time endorsers (endorsees?) of Larrivee acoustics. I managed to snag the RS’s for ridiculously low prices (low balling sometimes works!). The RS-2 reminds me of a single cut SG. The RS-4 is like a light-in-weight LP. But has more awesomeness. And then there’s my Heritage Prospect – the perfect semi-hollow guitar, hands down. Uh …. in my opinion, that is. :whome:

So, what other brands are we sporting over here?

Re: Lunch Report - Thursday March 17th

Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:39 pm

The more pictures I see of the 30th anniversary models the more i like them...I love ebony fretboards...

I'm a straight G&L guy right now, 3 'lectrics all G&L's. In my life I think I have owned 23 electrics, 11-12 G&L's (including one tribby) My only other guitar is a Martin, which I hated right after I bought but have grown to love....The only gear I REALLY regret selling? A '63 ish rosewood D-28, best overall dreadnought I have ever played.

-jeremy

Edit: More backwoods grammar than usual....

Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:50 pm

Kenny, your lunch brings to mind a bit in the Simpsons where Moe is taking this woman out to dinner. Goes like this -

Moe: I'll have your finest food, stuffed with your second finest food.
Waiter: Excellent choice - Lobster stuffed with Tacos.

G&L: I like the look of the 30ths too, haven't seen one in person but I'm sure they're great. I would like to see more pics of the frost clear coats they're doing now.

Other guitars: I only use G&Ls at gigs now. I have an old semi-hollow Baldwin Vibraslim, but it doesn't get gigged, it's too fragile. I used to have a few Fender strats, but they've been sold off and the money raised has gone into G&Ls. I do play my Deering 'Boston' model banjo at shows for a couple of songs. I'm not much of a player but I can fool the audience into thinking so!

Those Larrivee guitars sound interesting - got any pics?

Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:02 pm

Kenny, I'm sorry. Today not much time for an LR reply. Too busy drinking ;)

Happy St. Pats everybody! Drink responsibly and drive carefully!

- Jos

Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:36 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:Kenny, your lunch brings to mind a bit in the Simpsons where Moe is taking this woman out to dinner. Goes like this -

Moe: I'll have your finest food, stuffed with your second finest food.
Waiter: Excellent choice - Lobster stuffed with Tacos.

G&L: I like the look of the 30ths too, haven't seen one in person but I'm sure they're great. I would like to see more pics of the frost clear coats they're doing now.

Other guitars: I only use G&Ls at gigs now. I have an old semi-hollow Baldwin Vibraslim, but it doesn't get gigged, it's too fragile. I used to have a few Fender strats, but they've been sold off and the money raised has gone into G&Ls. I do play my Deering 'Boston' model banjo at shows for a couple of songs. I'm not much of a player but I can fool the audience into thinking so!

Those Larrivee guitars sound interesting - got any pics?

Taco stuffed Lobster. Wonder if they have that at Red Lobster? :evilgrin:

I play at banjo, too!Image I have a Mastercraft banjo with a Shadow pickup. I fool the crowd on about 7 - 8 songs a nite, depending on the set list. Couldn't play a lead to save my life. But I can chord one of 'em like I know what I'm doing. :thumbup:

As for the Larrivee's, is it okay to post pics of those here? Don't want to step on toes --- too new 'round here for that.

yowhatsshakin wrote:Kenny, I'm sorry. Today not much time for an LR reply. Too busy drinking ;)

Happy St. Pats everybody! Drink responsibly and drive carefully!

- Jos

Image Understood!

Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi Kenny

They look like the business, the ASAT Special also draws my attention. I haven't seen any in lefty, not sure that any were produced. Some more shots of the frosted finishes would be good.

As you may or may not know Kenny I'm a big fan of Heritage guitars. In the last few months I've also become aware of Larrivee electrics and was lucky enough to snag a used lefty one a few weeks back. I also came across this, a Jackson SL2H Soloist a few months back.

It's the perfect colour for today ...

:thumbup:

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:08 pm

SouthpawGuy wrote:Hi Kenny

They look like the business, the ASAT Special also draws my attention. I haven't seen any in lefty, not sure that any were produced. Some more shots of the frosted finishes would be good.

As you may or may not know Kenny I'm a big fan of Heritage guitars. In the last few months I've also become aware of Larrivee electrics and was lucky enough to snag a used lefty one a few weeks back. I also came across this, a Jackson SL2H Soloist a few months back.

Naw, didn't know that. :roll:

Paul, is there a guitar you don't have? Or at least a color or "type" that doesn't fit a topic? 8-)

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:27 pm

KennyE wrote:
SouthpawGuy wrote:Hi Kenny

Naw, didn't know that. :roll:

Paul, is there a guitar you don't have? Or at least a color or "type" that doesn't fit a topic? 8-)

Well I haven't got around to buying a banjo yet ... :D Although I was seriously considering getting one about three months ago. The dog threatened to leave so that was that.

:banana:

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Please stop all this banter about Larrivee and Heritage guitars.

I've been attending Guitarholics Anonymous and I'm nearly cured of my GAS for a nice LP style axe. :shh:

I have a Larrivee LM-03 acoustic and every time I play it I wonder what I'm missing by not having a Larrivee electric.

As far as brand name loyalty goes, I have none :lol:. In addition to the Larrivee I have guitars by Ovation, Fender, G&L(x3), Cole Clark, Washburn and Westone. I'd like to add Heritage to the list at some point, or a Larrivee electric. Oops, I forgot I'm nearly cured....

And please don't post up any pictures like this....

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:50 pm

Philby wrote:Please stop all this banter about Larrivee and Heritage guitars.

I've been attending Guitarholics Anonymous and I'm nearly cured of my GAS for a nice LP style axe. :shh:

I have a Larrivee LM-03 acoustic and every time I play it I wonder what I'm missing by not having a Larrivee electric.

As far as brand name loyalty goes, I have none :lol:. In addition to the Larrivee I have guitars by Ovation, Fender, G&L(x3), Cole Clark, Washburn and Westone. I'd like to add Heritage to the list at some point, or a Larrivee electric. Oops, I forgot I'm nearly cured....

Understood. No pictures like that ............ no Gold Tops. But ... how about pics like this?

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:50 pm

Kenny, light lunch today.

I like most brands and have always had a respect for Larivees. I would like to have a Heritage but not an LP type so it would have to be a hollow body. I don't have gas but I could always use some more guitars. I just had a news flash as Ginny asked me today if I would like to go to Dave Guitars in La Crosse for my birthday in early April. There are some of you that may ask if I will make it that long! I made an amazing recovery from the flu after that tidbit. Lets see what this goes. Any ideas or advice??

Philby, I not sure what cure you are talking about but if it is for guitars, it isn't working. You can send me the Red one you were sporting last night for my birthday.

Great LRs this week Kenny. Drop em' tomorrow. (where do you guys come up with the beer mug smilies). I could use a few!-- Darwin

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:55 pm

Philby wrote:Please stop all this banter about Larrivee and Heritage guitars.

No mercy ....

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Not a fan of painted finished, typically. I like trans finishes, stains and dyes, and natural a lot though. That said, a red or blue flake G&L is something I could like. Or a Lake Placid blue... Never really wanted painted models til I saw some of these G&Ls.

Aside from my ASAT special (trans orange, which has somehow become my new #1, imagine that...) I sport 2 carvins, a C66C and a LB75 (my 5 banger, and home bass, I am a bassist). I currently have a very special custom being built out of a very interesting combo of exotic woods. Hoping to start have some pics in about 2 weeks time.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:20 pm

I don't have gas but I could always use some more guitars.

Guitarholics Anonymous taught me that the first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem. I can see you're not ready for rehabilitation yet Darwin :D . Happy shopping for that birthday axe. As for Ginny - what a gal!

Southpaw and Kenny, they're beautiful RS-4's. About 8/10 on my GAS meter. The gold top is 9.5. How do they play?

I'm pretty safe having GAS for Larrivee and Heritage guitars. They're virtually impossible to find down here in Aus ;) .

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Philby wrote:
I don't have gas but I could always use some more guitars.

Guitarholics Anonymous taught me that the first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem. I can see you're not ready for rehabilitation yet Darwin :D . Happy shopping for that birthday axe. As for Ginny - what a gal!

Southpaw and Kenny, they're beautiful RS-4's. About 8/10 on my GAS meter. The gold top is 9.5. How do they play?

I'm pretty safe having GAS for Larrivee and Heritage guitars. They're virtually impossible to find down here in Aus ;) .

And in Ireland !!!

( sarcasm alert :rolleyes: )

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:47 pm

Haven't seen any of the 30th Ann. finishes, but I am intrigued. I've always been a burst guy, too...until the past ten years or so. I now have G&L's in Vintage White, Metallic Gold, Metallic Silver, Lake Placid Blue, Fullerton Red, Baby Blue, Transparent Blonde, Butterscotch Blonde, and two in Bel-Air Green. I have five with the Three Color Sunburst, and a Tobaccoburst. I was happy with the original two I had in TCSB, but I blame the rest on my fashion consultant. (I think her favorite is the Fullerton Red Legacy with the cream guard and the GOT neck.) But they are all beautiful guitars.

With 48 guitars, I have several other manufacturer's guitars on hand. I have a bunch of acoustics, all dreads. I have six Martins (my favorites), a Taylor 710CE, and two Takamine EF381SC 12-Strings. My cheapie is a very nice Ibanez AW50CENT Artwood, but it sounds like a much more expensive guitar.

Ibanez is kind of a guilty pleasure, I guess. Along with the Artwood, I have a 1975 MIJ Artist 5-string banjo, blond maple with a hearts and flowers inlay. I have a MIK AS-120 Artstar, and two MIK GR-520 Ghostriders. The Ghostriders are amazing guitars, as is the AS-120. They are just so sweet, and tremendous values.

I've always been a Fender guy, from when I was first learning to play back in the 1960s; but I've had Gibsons along the way, too. Bought my first one back in 1972. The one I had the longest was a 1975 Les Paul '55 Special, but had to sell that one in 2001. Since I got back on my feet, I've acquired ten Les Pauls and a 335. Yeah, the Ibanez Artstar sounds as good, and is probably better made--but the 335 has a certain "cachet" or specialness about it that makes it really fun to have. I also have a Hondo 335 clone from the late '70s, and it is a wonderful sounding guitar too. It needs a bit of work on it right now, so I haven't played it for a while; but I bought it for practically nothing. It's the neck on this particular guitar that is so alluring.

The Les Pauls have simply become an addiction. I have a couple of Classic Plus models from the mid-'90s, a pair of Supremes, a pair of the 2007 GOTW series, a Custom Shop Elegant and three Historics. The Historics are my faves, and I think these are by far the best guitars Gibson has been building for quite some time. LPs are wonderful instruments, capable of doing so many different kinds of music. When Gibson gets it right, their guitars are very good, indeed.

I still have my old Music Man Sabre IIs, and a pair of DanElectro Innuendo 12-strings. My only Fender is a Precision "Lyte" bass.

I've fallen into some of these guitars because I got incredible deals. The LP Supremes for example, had repaired broken headstocks; I got them from Guitar Center very inexpensively. I would say that about a lot of my gear--I've been very lucky over the years at "buying low and selling high".

I've missed out on some Hamers over the years, and nearly bought a Heritage 535 a few years ago. Those are two brands I've always liked as alternatives to Gibson, but now that I have my Gibsons, there's less of a need. I've always appreciated the workmanship in the Larivee acoustic guitars, but I prefer the Martin sound. There are lots of great guitars these days--PRS, Collings, Santa Cruz, Breedlove, Thornton, and many more.

But for now, I'm standing pat.

Bill

Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Mexican for me too, fish tacos with beans and rice in Newport Beach today, killer food, GO BRAUGH :lol:

The 30th Anniversary did not grab me much at first but have slightly grown on me as I look over again. The ebony board, matching headstock and the frost paint are pretty cool. Not at the top of the buy list but could see it on there somewhere.

Maily ASAT's in my pile, six at this time, but have a showing of Fender tele's, knock off tele and 2 acoustics. See a pattern here? :evilgrin: Leo knew what he was doing with that ASAT / tele body style and I've been hooked for years.

Nice pics from you guys. Still having issues with my picture storage so in honor of today my ASAT Deeeluxe greenie will be in hiding but here's a toast to all with green geetars. :cheers:

Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:59 pm

A P-05 LH:

Cheers,

Will

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:02 pm

I didn't think much of the 30th Anniversary line at first, but they are slowly growing on me. I've been very impressed with all of the recent G&Ls I've played, but for some reason it's only the oldies that have been making me GASsy.

My guitar/bass stable is 66% G&L at this point. The three non-G&Ls are an Epiphone Genesis which I've modded slightly to match Les Paul circuitry, a hybrid Fender bass (a '69 Precision neck on a mid-70s Jazz body), and a US-built Ovation acoustic. These three have a lot of sentimental value; otherwise, they would have gone to make room for a few more G&Ls. The Epi Genesis is a real diamond in the rough. With a decent setup, it plays as nicely as any Les Paul I've ever tried. It was the last model Epiphone made that wasn't a budget copy of a Gibson product.

I also have a few other stringed instruments: a Bacon tenor banjo, an upright bass, and an oud. Ironically, all of the gigging I've done in the past several years has been on the last two, and my only current musical activity outside of the house is on the upright- yet somehow all of my GAS is confined to G&Ls.

Ken

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:29 pm

G&L Question: I hadn't thought too much about them either. Color,finish ect.. Isn't a factor on me buying a guitar.

Non G&L Question: How 'bout Collings?

Lunch:I guess Taco Bell is what you like.
I am a Mexican food snob. All of it. A good bowl of Menudo or a homemade style Chili Relleno also. There is enough good Taquerias around where I live I don't have to worry about Taco Bell , Taco Bueno or any of those places.

Chet

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:35 am

I did not get around to checking lunch report yesterday. Today when I did and ran across a reference to Heritage I have to chime in. I picked up a great deal on a Heritage H535 locally a few years ago and have enjoyed it ever since. It is my only hollow-body arch top.

My other instruments are from Fender, Yamaha, Godin, Melancon, and Daisy Rock (a cheap 12 string.)

Kit

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:08 am

Alright, it's Friday morning andI survived St Pats and am awake and sober.

KennyE wrote:Lunch: In celebration of St. Paddy's I had ..............

Wait! am I supposed to remember that? Is this a pop quiz or something?

KennyE wrote:G&L Topic: 30th Anniversary Finishes

I have 2 guitars with Blonde finishes but in both cases they are 'customized'. The Phyllis Model "Blondie" on the left has a 'Blondie' Blonde finish which allegedly matches Mrs. Fender's hair color and is more opaque. The C.L.F. Centennial on the right has a Sentimental Blonde finish which still shows the wood grain under the finish.
ImageImage
I trust that the Pearl Blonde finish for the 30th Anniversary Edition looks as great as either one of these! But I actually don't really know whether these finishes are opaque or transparent or whether it even depends on the model, e.g. transparent on the ASAT's, opaque on others.

KennyE wrote:Non-G&L Topic: Other guitars

My other electrics are all Paul Reed Smiths. My acoustics are Collings and Ovation guitars with a National Reso-phonic Tricone 1.5 sprinkled in. And a couple of small (travel) guitars: a Tacoma Papoose and Baby Taylor.

- Jos

Edit: fix image link after album was lost.