Lunch Report - Wednesday March 16th

Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:08 am

I’m feeling much this morning. Nearly human, in fact. At least all the head goo is gone. Even got hungry. So, today ……

Lunch:
Canned Chili. Wolf’s brand. Easy, quick. And doesn’t make a big mess. I even got to Telework today, so the kitchen is right here. A bit of iced tea and I’m set. Like I tell my wife when she asks what I had for lunch – just hang on there, hon, you’ll hear all about it real soon!!

G&L Topic: What sets Leo’s (and George’s) guitars apart.
The common testimony among G&L users is that Leo, along with George, really got it right with the ASAT and Legacy. But, what is it that they got right? What is it that makes these guitars Leo’s true “Legacy” … so to speak? What is different about the G&L Legacy vs a ‘50s Strat? Or is it that they are truer to the originals? Perhaps it’s something intrinsic that can’t really be put into words, sort of like the higher harmonics in an extremely musical instrument or vocal. What do you think?

I’ve had my share of Strats & Tele’s (and ASATS) but they are all gone. However, my beat up Legacy (with the wanky neck – see day 1) is a keeper. Just something about that guitar that says “keep me!”

Non-G&L: Amplifiers
What are you using to amplify your G&L (or other guitars, of course), and why? I’m currently sporting two custom builds that both make my guitars really sparkle. And that includes my non-G&L guitars, as well. Funny thing, they are both Leo designs: ’59 5F4 Super Tweed (clone) and a ’57 5E3 Deluxe Tweed clone. Both built from kits. But all built with vintage parts, speakers and tubes. I gig the 5F4 for the 28ws. I rehearse with the 5E3 for the 12ws. Both are killer amps. My other fav is a Vox AC30CC1. Not much that doesn’t sound good thru that amp! What are y’all using?

Re: Lunch Report - Wednesday March 16th

Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:17 am

Hey Kenny, glad to hear you're feeling better

G&L Question: Hmm.. maybe it's that Leo got to fine tune some of his original designs, not sure really. I think for me it's the consistent high level of quality and, if you're looking used, they are a down right bargain. I've had fender products that were good but both ASAT's I have are head and shoulders above anything I've played in recent years at local music stores.

Amps: I like your taste in amps! Right now I have a 66' blackface bandmaster because that's what I ended up with after a series of purchases and trades (started with a MIM Blues Deluxe :mrgreen: ) I really like the amp, it's ~40watts, I have gigged it, the clean is wonderful especially with the right tubes. I now have the curse of knowing what a Blackburn Mullard ecc83 sounds like in V1, nothing else I've gotten my hands on has sounded as nice and the Mullard died. Of course in the mix you probably couldn't tell. I really like the tweed->brown era tone. I've gotten a less efficient speaker and a set of JAN 6L6wgb's to try and coax a bit more grit out of her. The speaker has done wonders, haven't gotten around to swapping the power tubes, but the amp needs to be serviced in general just haven't had the funds to do it. If I can ever get the money to do so a 5E3 kit is on the list :)

-Dave

Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:22 am

My first G&L guitar was a George Fullerton Signature Legacy with a "V" neck, skinny frets, and a beautiful sunburst finish. That guitar replaced a mid-70s Strat that I had traded for a couple of other guitars. That Legacy had that strat tone that Clapton used in the Delaney and Bonnie era which to me, is that classic Strat tone. And the craftsmanship on the guitar was way above that of the Fender Strat I had previously owned. That was the magic of G&L, capturing the best of those "vintage" models...tone, feel, playability, yet improving things like the bridge, vibrato system, tuning keys, and neck stability - 3-bolt system used by G&L as opposed to that used by Fender. That is what got me into G&L and pretty much why I've kept at least one in my tool kit today.

I've had lots of amps over the years. Most of them too loud and too heavy. I pared it down to a couple of smaller amps like the Swart AST:

And the Port City 12 Combo:

I have a little Top Hat Portly Cadet that I use around the house for noodling. Usually when working for home and waiting for a report or some data:

Here are some amps from the past that I have paired with G&L:

I also have 3 Super Champs from 1985, I believe. These are Rivera designed and are extremely versatile little amps.

RickT

Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:24 am

KennyE wrote:G&L Topic: What sets Leo’s (and George’s) guitars apart.

I agree with Dave: we need to be honest here. Leo and George actually got it right with the Broadcatser/Nocaster/Telecaster and Stratocaster in the '50's way before they were able to make an even better mousetrap in the late '70's and '80's. In large part what they got right were things like body shape and comfort. One of the reasons so many people like Strat shaped bodies is because they are comfortable just like the decal says on the headstock. And the Tele-shaped guitars just have that twang that has become so ubiquitous. What the Legacy has over the Strat IMO is a better tone control system in the PTB. I do have a G&L George Fullerton Signature for which the bridge pickup is not connected to any tone control like the (early) Strats. It certainly has its charm at times but a lot of other times I wish I could just tame it down a bit. For the ASAT it is most definitely the MFD's. These pups have just the right amount of warmth with their bite. I don't know who has seen that new DVD on the 60th Anniversary of the Telecaster. I have only seen a preview but it contained an interview with James Burton who mentioned once more how incredible bright the Fender Tele pups were/are. It was just that he knew how to deal with it because the Tele has some pretty good tone controls too. But you need less of that taming power with an ASAT which is by far my favorite model and a true workhorse of a guitar.

KennyE wrote:Non-G&L: Amplifiers
What are you using to amplify your G&L (or other guitars, of course), and why?

My favorite amp right now is a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 mainly used on the clean channel in 5W setting. Many of my ASAT's are already capable of pushing the tubes in overdrive for a delicious amount of grind controllable with the volume know. Just love that combo.

- Jos

Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:49 pm

RickT wrote:My first G&L guitar was a George Fullerton Signature Legacy with a "V" neck, skinny frets, and a beautiful sunburst finish. That guitar replaced a mid-70s Strat that I had traded for a couple of other guitars. That Legacy had that strat tone that Clapton used in the Delaney and Bonnie era which to me, is that classic Strat tone. And the craftsmanship on the guitar was way above that of the Fender Strat I had previously owned. That was the magic of G&L, capturing the best of those "vintage" models...tone, feel, playability, yet improving things like the bridge, vibrato system, tuning keys, and neck stability - 3-bolt system used by G&L as opposed to that used by Fender. That is what got me into G&L and pretty much why I've kept at least one in my tool kit today.

I've had lots of amps over the years. Most of them too loud and too heavy. I pared it down to a couple of smaller amps like the Swart AST:

RickT

Love that Special! When I bought my Z3 I played it thru a Swart AST. Loved it. Should have bought that amp along with the guitar. :lol: Thats quite the stable of amps you have ... or had.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:05 pm

Glad you are on the mend, Kenny--no fun to be sick.

What did Leo and George get right? Everything! They had been making good guitars since 50, so G&L was just another step. G&L really represented the next logical step in production electric guitars/basses. To me they really fine tuned a lot of things, and made the whole package better. Then built an organization with the pride and processes to really consistently turn out quality products. To me one of the innovations that is uniquely G&L is the MFD pups. I know they don't do it for some people, but I think they are amazingly flexible...especially when paired with right.....

AMP!

Which for me are Silverface Fenders. I have 2 Deluxe Reverbs, it's true that they are a 1 trick horse, but it's a damn good trick. I love the sound of playing them in stereo. I fooled a little bit with effecting them differently (ie, effecting one channel/amp differently than the other) and think that I could find some really amazing sounds. It will be fun to try anyway. I have not yet gigged the stereo setup. One problem is that playing both amps at a level where they sound great is really loud; we just bought an in ear monitor system to decrease stage volume and now some dingy guitar player wants to use not one but two tube amps! I know they are just 22 watters....still loud. So i want to either get a set of tweed reverb clones or Silverface Princeton's or something. But this business of buying amps in pairs has some obvious down sides, $$$$ and ######'s. And, playing the small clubs and events we play, it's not a hi-fi experience so getting too carried away is kinda silly.

Good LR week so, even with the creeping crud! --jeremy

Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:17 pm

Leo and George continued in the 80s with a super quality product. For those of you who are comparing to Fenders built in the late 70s/ early 80s, there were no comparisons. Fenders quality had hit the toilet and in the mid 80s, they had to move to Japan for quality until they could get things at home shored up with a new company owned by employees. Fender today has a quality guitar and generally you get what you pay for. In my opinion G&L has far surpassed Fender in the woods that are used and the pickups. An excellent build quality doesn't hurt either. If they were mass produced like the big F we may not have the woods that we currently enjoy. The 80s were tough times for some manufactures. George and Leo concentrated on what they did best and improved it. I think that BBE has done the same.

I am set for amps at the time. I use a Fender Cyber Twin SE most of the time or the Twin Reverb Custom 15. Keep in mind that I am primarily a bass player and have a couple of SWR amps and speaker cabs that I use and chain together if I need the power. Normally I use one amp with a 15 and a Goliath II 4/10 cabinet. If I use the second amp I add another 15.

Good week Kenny.-- Darwin

Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Kenny,

Glad you are feeling better. I hate being under the weather.
Wolf Brand Chili - I like it ,no beans of course.
That was food by default by my mother when I was growing up.
Wife and I went To El Fenix a Tex-Mex restaurant chain here. Had there Wednesday enchilada special.
G&L Question: I feel the ASAT,Legacy and S-500 were a evolution of the original Fenders. Overall quality is better all the way around.
I have a Corona Strat I love and won't part with but I locked down the tremolo because it kept pulling sharp I couldn't get it straighten out.
I like the feel of a ASAT over a Tele. It feels more modern I guess is the best way to put it..

Non G&L question,Amps:

I am playing through a 1976 Peavey Musician Those are a love/hate and built like a tank.A Epi Valve Junior cab & head and a late 60's Baldwin C-1 Custom the same type amp Willie Nelson Plays. Thats not why I bought it. I remember the Baldwins from back in the day and I liked the sound and it's retro cool.The Baldwin is my main go to amp.
I have gone backwards my main amps are older solid state amps. I prefer a clean good sounding amp over a overdriven amp. I cant get the break up like a tube amp but I can always put a OD pedal in front of it when I need it.

Chet

Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:20 pm

Sounds like you got the snot monster on the run there Kenny. Chili will finish it off!

G&L Question: I like my Fender strats, but my G&L's feel much better built and, like Dave said, they're much better value for money. Especially second hand. The only thing that bugs me from time to time is the difficulty in getting parts, but that goes with the territory for any boutique instrument. For me ASAT's, Legacy's, S-500's etc. are teles and strats re-imagined by Leo.

Non-G&L Question: My current amp-du-jour is my new Vox AC15. The clean (normal) channel is a thing of rich, lush, 3D beauty. Vox traditionalists complain that it sounds too much like a Fender, but I don't care. It just sounds good with single coil guitars. There's always the Top Boost channel for gritty British overdrive and Vox chime. I haven't really experimented much with the Top Boost channel yet.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:28 pm

Philby, cool amp, I would love to have one. What is the red guitar? It looks like a Fender 6 saddle vintage but I could be wrong. I have a chambered Ash tele that looks like except for the pickguard.-- Darwin

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:36 pm

darwinohm wrote:Philby, cool amp, I would love to have one. What is the red guitar? It looks like a Fender 6 saddle vintage but I could be wrong. I have a chambered Ash tele that looks like except for the pickguard.-- Darwin

My guess an Australian built Cole Clark Tele model. Wasn't aware he/they had moved into electrics too (just like Bill Collings doing the Gibson side of things).

- Jos

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Yow, I think that you are right on. It is a sweet looking one!-- Darwin

Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:18 pm

Great looking guitar Philby! love the clear red finish, and the sig on the pickguard is a nice touch.

-Dave

Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Philby, cool amp, I would love to have one. What is the red guitar? It looks like a Fender 6 saddle vintage but I could be wrong. I have a chambered Ash tele that looks like except for the pickguard.-- Darwin

Should have known a red guitar would get you in Darwin :D

Excellent detective work Jos. Yes, it's an '01 Cole Clark Offender, a prototype of the current model Culprit. Fender threatened legal action over the name (because it contains 'Fender') and the Fender style headstock so only ~100 Offenders were built. Mine is #54 and has a native Australian mountain ash body (medium weight) with hard rock maple neck. All the hardware is Wilkinson except for the Fender CS52 pickups. She's a quality built axe. It was the gorgeous Gibson SG style clear cherry paint job that sealed the deal for me.

The new Cole Clark Culprit and Guardian models are beautifully built guitars too, and feature more Australian wood content, but I don't care for the funny looking headstock.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:26 am

G&L Question:

I'm not certain what George and Leo got right .... I just keep having to get another G&L to try and find out :roll:

My first ASAT Classic arrived on Monday :thumbup: It's a '98 model and has the natural wood binding and the rear contour, aka belly cut.

Non G&L Question: ... amps.

I use a Blues Jnr, a Laney TT50 and a VOX AC30CC2. Lately the Laney has been getting most of the play time.
Jnr with ASAT Special

Laney with Heritage H-137

Vox with Heritage Prospect

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:09 am

Philby wrote:
Non-G&L Question: My current amp-du-jour is my new Vox AC15. The clean (normal) channel is a thing of rich, lush, 3D beauty. Vox traditionalists complain that it sounds too much like a Fender, but I don't care. It just sounds good with single coil guitars. There's always the Top Boost channel for gritty British overdrive and Vox chime. I haven't really experimented much with the Top Boost channel yet.

After getting the AC30CC1 I picked up an AC15CC1. Loved that amp. Didn't have quite the complexity of the AC30, to my ears. But it got so darned close it hardly mattered. Sold it to a fellow country musician that needed a small gigging amp. I've looked at the newer versions. Been thinking about picking up one of those, but I keep buying guitars instead. Don't really need another amp with the Tweeds in the house. But I sure like the sound of them! Voxxy or Fendery, don't care. They just sound good! Yours is that latest version of the AC15, right? Seems to have a darker covering and cloth.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:12 am

SouthpawGuy wrote:G&L Question:

I'm not certain what George and Leo got right .... I just keep having to get another G&L to try and find out :roll:

My first ASAT Classic arrived on Monday :thumbup: It's a '98 model and has the natural wood binding and the rear contour, aka belly cut.

Gee, where'd you get the new one?? :roll: BTW, love the Prospect. ............ :clap:

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:24 am

Happy St. Patrick's Day, Paul!

That classic looks unbelievable, how does it sound?

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:22 am

Allright guys, when you start flashing these Red guitars around, especially the T types, I lose it!. Paul, the new one is a beauty. It looks pristine. Okay, here is my Tele from supposedly a run of 100. It is a chambered ash, 52 with a 62 neck. It is a featherweight and one of my faves to gig because of the weight. And it is RED!!!!!!!

Darwin

Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:03 pm

KennyE wrote:
SouthpawGuy wrote:G&L Question:

Gee, where'd you get the new one?? :roll: BTW, love the Prospect. ............

The ASAT came from Ohio I think. The Prospect from Colorado fwiw :banana:

Gotta love those semis' !

... and USPS :thumbup:

Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:06 pm

astutzmann wrote:Happy St. Patrick's Day, Paul!

That classic looks unbelievable, how does it sound?

Thanks Alf. It sounds good. I'm surprised it took me so long to get a Classic.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:10 pm

Yours is that latest version of the AC15, right? Seems to have a darker covering and cloth.

Yep, mine is the 2010 AC15C1. Just after I bought mine I saw a special edition burgundy red AC15 in the shop window, and wished I'd waited just another month. They are gorgeous in the flesh. :luv:

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:05 pm

Philby wrote:
Yours is that latest version of the AC15, right? Seems to have a darker covering and cloth.

Yep, mine is the 2010 AC15C1. Just after I bought mine I saw a special edition burgundy red AC15 in the shop window, and wished I'd waited just another month. They are gorgeous in the flesh. :luv:

If I didn't have the Tweeds, I'd be rockin' an AC15 like yours for sure!!