Lunch Report - Tuesday, March 15th

Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:12 am

Lunch:
Stuck at home again today with a nasty cold. Not sure if I'll even eat lunch. However, I have fencing at the local community college on Tuesday evenings and since I don’t really care to show my team mates what I ate for dinner (If you get my drift!) my norm is to have a Caesar salad with roasted chicken and walnuts from Dean and DeLuca’s. Yummmy!!! It's what I would have had for lunch today if I was at work.

G&L Topic: Comanche v Legacy v S-500.
This comes from being a complete noob (read: uninformed) about the differences between a Comanche, Legacy and S-500. To look at them, they appear to be the same, at least body style. If you had to explain the differences between the 3 models, what would you tell a prospective G&L owner? And why one over the other?

Non-G&L: Pets.
Most of us have them. What do you have? And why? We raise Irish Wolfhounds. Just amazing dogs. And not solely because of their size. They are very loving, loyal, easy going and you don’t have to bend over to pet them. We had a large mutt that we loved. When we knew he was dying we did some research and decided to look at Giant Schnauzers. It was off to the local dog show one weekend. While watching the GS’s this huge dog was walked by us. My wife and I both just turned and followed the dog (and owner) over to their cages; where we started talking IW’s. It’s been a love affair ever since. So …… what gets it for you as a pet owner?

Re: Lunch Report - Tuesday, March 15th

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:47 am

Get well soon Kenny. No fun to be sick!

I only gave Legacies. But Steve Grom's YouTube video, found here in the Knowledgebase is very good at showcasing the diffs between S-500 and Legacy. Would be great if a similar video would be produced with either S-500 and/or Legacy and Comanche.

We have 2 kitties here at home. I have always been a cat person as has my wife. This morning I am working from home and one of my cats is sounds asleep right behind me on the chair. They're so cute!

- Jos

Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:16 pm

Well, that vid just kinda explains it all, doesn't it? For Legacy v S-500, anyway. I really liked that. Thanks for posting the link. My ASATs always had the MFDs. Sorta wish the Legacy did, as well.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:24 pm

KennyE wrote:Sorta wish the Legacy did, as well.

Now ya know there is the S-500 just for that purpose ;)

- Jos

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:06 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
KennyE wrote:Sorta wish the Legacy did, as well.

Now ya know there is the S-500 just for that purpose ;)

- Jos

I have the excuse of being sick today, you know. :evilgrin: I get to make stupid comments like that ...... evan after viewing the vid that explains the difference. Argh!!!!

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:01 pm

I've got an Asat classic tribute and love it. I've got a spalted maple legacy on its way to me as we speak- so my hunch is between the two different pick-up options etc i should be able to cover the tonal range I want to.

An Asat classic and Legacy option would appear to be a better combination for that reason than an Asat classic and S-500 (as both the asat and S-500 have MFDs). Just my opinion of course....

Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:51 pm

I'd like to know more about the Comanche. It's pricing puts it near the top of the G&L product tree. I like the idea of the z-coil pickups, which are noiseless MFDs. Cool name too, Comanche.

I had dogs the whole time I was growing up. Everyones favourite was Dot, a Jack Russel/Kelpie/other breeds cross. She had such spirit. She died about 4 years ago at the ripe old age of 17. She went to the vet twice in that time - once when she got pregnant and had to be aborted (it would have killed her) and at the end to be put down. She became to frail to enjoy anything, even pats, and it was the humane thing to do. I loved that dog.

I've never known an IW, they are an amazing looking animal though. If I were a burgular and came across an angry one I'd be wishing I'd worn brown trousers!

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Kenny,

Lunch: Salad late lunch.

G&L Question : I know Legacy's are wired more like a regular Strat,but my Legacy has the Alinco pickups and wired like a S-500 with the expansion switch and the bass and treble bleed off. So I think I am bias to S-500.
I know the later Legacy,S500 and Comanches all feel the same but it all in the wiring that makes a difference.

Pets: My wife is allergic to dogs and cats. After so research we got a American Hairless Terrier He is now 4 we have had him since he was 9 weeks old.Since we don't have children he is our child. Plus we have a double yellow head amazon parrot who my wife had for 27 years . They live for 50-70 years.

Here's a album of my Legacy and the boss of the house.http://s737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/cmguitar1/1990%20Fernandes%20LE1/Lord%20Chae%20and%20Guitars/

Chet

Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:30 pm

G&L Question:

Never played a Comanche, they don't make them in lefty. I think three or four were made by "mistake" :crazy: , but the pickups were right handed, i.e. angled in the wrong direction. I'm not sure how that would affect the sound, it does make a difference. Some time in the '80s I had a right handed strat strung left handed and the reverse angled bridge pickup certainly had a different sound. I do have a couple of S500s, they sound a lot different to a Legacy with a bigger, fatter and meaner tone. The neck pickup on an S500 is surprisingly good for a clean fat jazz tone, lately I actually use mine clean most of the time.

Non G&L Question:

Pets.

Molly the miniature Irish Wolf hound aka, jack russell ! :banana:

Today she had three sausages for lunch, washed down with some fine water !

I need to take some newer pics, she's only a few weeks old and tiny in that one.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:46 pm

SouthpawGuy wrote:G&L Question:

Never played a Comanche, they don't make them in lefty. I think three or four were made by "mistake" :crazy: , but the pickups were right handed, i.e. angled in the wrong direction. I'm not sure how that would affect the sound, it does make a difference. Some time in the '80s I had a right handed strat strung left handed and the reverse angled bridge pickup certainly had a different sound. I do have a couple of S500s, they sound a lot different to a Legacy with a bigger, fatter and meaner tone. The neck pickup on an S500 is surprisingly good for a clean fat jazz tone, lately I actually use mine clean most of the time.

Non G&L Question:

Pets.

Molly the miniature Irish Wolf hound aka, jack russell ! :banana:

Today she had three sausages for lunch, washed down with some fine water !

I need to take some newer pics, she's only a few weeks old and tiny in that one.

Hmmm, seems I've seen that picture before! ;) Puppies are SO cute. You know, they're made that way on purpose. Not sure I have any current pics of my Wolfhounds. But here's one of Celeb at about 3 months.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:42 am

Lunch: Had a tuna sandwich on rye with some chicken soup

G&L Question: I've actually never played a Legacy, s-500 or Comanche, but from my extensive "research" I gather that Legacy = Alnico pickups/classic strat tone, s-500 = mfd's / fatter, more versatile, Comanche = z-coil mfd's/such a wide arrange of tones available it's been described as a blank slate for creating your own.

Pets: I grew up with dogs, my first when I was 6 (snuggie - hey I was 6!) He was fantastic, not sure what he was a mix of but just a great dog, he died when I was 16. Then came Mr. Raggs he is a Bedlington Terrier, lives with my Mom now, he's up there in age I want to say 14 or 16 but still energetic.
At one point I had 3 dogs; Marvin(pointer mix) Link(Huntaway mix) and Angel (Golden/chow mix). Marvin came to my door, a stray and emaciated so we took him in got him back up to health and found him a good home. I got attached, it was difficult to see him go. Link I got as a puppy from a rescue league, went there for his brother actually but he walked right over to me and crawled in my lap winning him the trip home. Angel my wife and I rescued from a neglectful home, her and I really bonded over the years more than any other dog I've had, she died last summer at only 6-7years old (no prior vet records so estimated age) only had her 4 years she was in fantastic health, we were out for a walk in the neighborhood and she just dropped, vet thinks it was an aneurysm, I didn't even know that could happen. Anyway, so just have Link now and with a new baby that's about all I could handle at the moment.
I was big into aquariums for a while too, never bonded with cats, I don't mind them but never want to live with one. The one I lived with peed on everything that was mine, not my roommate's (who's cat it was) including coming home laying on the couch for a nap only to find the cushions were soaked :scared0016:

-Dave