Would you like to see a G&L 20th Anniversary Leo Fender commemorative guitar ?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:11 pm

No thanks I'd prefer to remember Leo in my own way.
55%
Yes a commemorative guitar would be a good idea.
45%

Total votes : 11

Lunch Report - Friday March 11th

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi all and welcome to Fridays lunch report.

Lunch:

Well today I had scrambled eggs with some tomatoes and black pepper with wholemeal bread and the standard issue sparkling water. Simple but very tasty.

G&L Question:

I know G&L have recently released the 30th Anniversary range of guitars and basses that mark thirty years in business for the company.
The 21st of this month is the 20th anniversary of the passing of Leo Fender. I was wondering if there are any one off or limited run instruments planned to commemorate the day. Would G&L fans like to see some form of marking of the anniversary ? Or would you prefer to remember Leo in your own way ?

Non G&L Question:

What amps are you all running your G&Ls through ? I use a Blues Junior, an AC30CCII and a Laney TT50. They're all EL34 / 84 amps. For some reason I seem to prefer that type of amp. They all sound completely different though, the speakers, circuitry and construction obviously make a big difference. I find with a lot of Fender amps that they have overly sensitive volume controls, they are either inaudible or just way too loud, the Blues Jnr however is controllable at low volumes and also sounds good. I like to use the amps sans pedals a lot, a guitar straight into a valve amp is fantastic. When I do use pedals I tend to use them with the Fender or Vox, never the Laney. That one is a three channel high gain type, although the clean channel is really good, it just doesn't seem to need pedals. The Vox is awesome, the clean tones are magnificent and when cranked, not that I do that often, it's a thing of beauty.

Please post pics of your G&Ls / amps ....

ASAT Special / Blues Junior

ASAT III / Blues Junior

Legacy Special / Laney TT50

G&L pic of the day ...

ASAT Classic Custom in natural

Thanks for having me as your Lunch Reporter this week, it was a pleasure.

I'd also like to thank KennyE for taking on the role of Lunch Reporter for next week and would like to wish him the best in his duties.

Paul

Re: Lunch Report - Friday March 11th

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks for a fine week of LR's Paul.

As far as my lunch was concerned, it was provided by my project manager. All mayhem broke loose after it was finally realized our product team had overlooked a rather important work item for 4 months. As I always say, oh well ...

As far as (another) commemorative edition for Leo, after the ASAT Classic Commemorative Edition and ASAT Bass Commemorative Edition in '91-'93 and the C.L.F. Centennial in '09, I personally am not waiting for another model. I will tip my hat to the man once more and thank him for all hist contributions to the musical instrument industry. It is hard to point out somebody who has been more instrumental (no pun intended). And besides that, 25 years would be a nicer number.

I play my guitars through Mesa Boogie amps. Have the full rig kinda thing with 6L6's and a couple of smaller amps (Subway Blues and Express 5:25) with EL84's. I especially like the 5W setting on my Express 5:25 (wuth ASAT Super for good form):

- Jos

Edit: fix image link after album was lost.
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:52 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Thanks for a fine week of LR's Paul.

As far as my lunch was concerned, it was provided by my project manager. All mayhem broke loose after it was finally realized our product team had overlooked a rather important work item for 4 months. As I always say, oh well ...

As far as (another) commemorative edition for Leo, after the ASAT Classic Commemorative Edition and ASAT Bass Commemorative Edition in '91-'93 and the C.L.F. Centennial in '09, I personally am not waiting for another model. I will tip my hat to the man once more and thank him for all hist contributions to the musical instrument industry. It is hard to point out somebody who has been more instrumental (no pun intended). And besides that, 25 years would be a nicer number.

I play my guitars through Mesa Boogie amps. Have the full rig kinda thing with 6L6's and a couple of smaller amps (Subway Blues and Express 5:25) with EL84's. I especially like the 5W setting on my Express 5:25 (wuth ASAT Super for good form):

- Jos

Now that's an amp setup I'd like to take for a spin !

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:55 pm

Great week of reports Paul.

G&L: I think a 20th anniversary Leo remembrance guitar is a good idea.

Amps:

Left to Right we have: '08 Classic S in 'old school' tobacco burst, Ceriatone 5E3 'Paisley Deluxe' with matching Blarg-Bilt (thanks Phil...) 110 extension cab, '97 Classic in blonde, Blarg-Bilt 115 cab in Hawaiian, ZT Club, '09 Bluesboy SH no f-hole in Spanish copper, Ampeg J20, '98 Laney LC30. Excuse the mess of pedals, I'm putting together a new pedal board.

My main rig is the ZT along with either the 115 (has a Weber Neo 15 in it) or 110 (Eminence Ragin Cajun - great speaker) extension cab. It gives me all the volume and push I could ever need. The ZT has sold me on solid state amps and I have no intention for the time being to purchase another tube amp (well, except a Princeton....). It's 130 watts and weighs only 10kg. That should be enough to sell it, but the sound is incredible and so is the price......

The 5E3 gets used a bit too, and I will be using it today in a recording session. It's great for soul, it has that clean but hairy sound you hear on Steve Croppers guitar work.

The Ampeg is a good amp, especially when paired up with the 115. By itself it's a little wimpy, but running it at 4 ohms makes it sound that much better. It's a clone of a brown-face era Fender Deluxe.

The Laney is a great amp, made in England and I've got a Celestion Alnico Gold in it. That speaker made it a lot better. I really like EL84 tubes for the chime and quality of the overdriven sounds you can get out of them. I don't use it as much as I should, partly because the other guitarist in the band uses a Vox AC30, and if we both played t-style guitars through EL84 powered amps it would be a bit boring and similar.

My favourite guitar is the Bluesboy. Easily.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Wow guys. Beautiful amps and G&Ls. I'm going to have to take some photos soon. I've had my hands full with lots of stuff here lately, but that's no excuse.

I don't personally care about another commemorative guitar, but I think that if well-executed and marketed, it could help G&L put it's brand more firmly on the map and provide an excuse to educate the public a bit on the Leo connection.

These days (thanks to Jonc), I'm playing my G&Ls mostly through a 1964 Vox AC-4 and a '66 Fender Vibro Champ. These suit my tastes and my situation - having two kiddies asleep upstairs in the evening when I play. If nobody's home, I use my mid-80's red knob Fender Super 60 to rattle the windows utilizing the second channel.

I enjoyed your week, Paul, and will never tire of seeing and drooling over your gorgeous lefties. Thanks! - ed

Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Great Reports!!!

Lunch: On the Run. Picked up last night a Giant Muffaletta from a real good Italian deli here so I ate part of it with Zapps Jalapeno potato chips.

G&L Question: If a guitar is commemorative that's OK,but naot a maker or breaker on getting a guitar.

Non-G&L Question : I guess I am being out of the ordinary. I am playing a 60's Baldwin C-1 Custom Supersound. The same type amp Willie Nelson uses :shock: The cleans are really clean. 45 watts sound between a old Kustom Tuck & Roll and a Fender. If I want to get dirty I do have to put a od/distortion pedal in front of. I also use a 1976 Peavey Musician MK III with a 4X12 Behringer 412V cabinet.I also have a Epi Valve Junior that can be a fun amp. Tried the modeling amp thing didn't like it.
I don't know why but it seems I have gone from tube to solid state. I don't know whats different is but my Baldwin and Peavey seem to be louder than the new solid states with the same wattage. I don't know what is different :?
Here's pics of my G&L's,my Baldwin,Fender and Fernandes. Also a pic of the lord of the household.
http://s737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/cmguitar1/1990%20Fernandes%20LE1/Lord%20Chae%20and%20Guitars/

Chet

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:22 am

I like special builds (like the 30th anniversary) but not to go back and do an older one, keep the modern ones coming. The 30th anniversary gave me some ideas for my asat special deluxe that I ordered, like the ebony fretboard, modern wide neck with 12 degree radius.

As far as amps go, I have 1. Its from a custom amp builder here in niagara and he build this as a first prototype for me. He now sells this amp but I don't know how many he sold. Mine was the first, Pics here.

http://gallery.me.com/astutzmann#100311

Let me try this pic insert thingy again,

The amp (Morris Amp, Mini Muscle, name tag fell off) is a very loud 20W clean and a 2W distortion channel (with A/B switch for the amount of distortion) that is pedal switchable. It has a wonderful 12" Eminence Red Fang speaker in it. The amp is great and I love it, perfect for the house because it sounds as good on 1 as it does on 10.

I keep thinking what over amp to get but right now, there is no need, this one is great. He does have larger units and maybe later a 55 bassman clone that he makes.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:36 am

astutzmann wrote:Let me try this pic insert thingy again, ...

Worked!! Nice looking amp Alf :happy0065:

- Jos

Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:37 pm

I've had lots of amps over the years. Most of them too loud and too heavy. I pared it down to a couple of smaller amps like the Swart AST:

And the Port City 12 Combo:

I have a little Top Hat Portly Cadet that I use around the house for noodling. Usually when working for home and waiting for a report or some data:

Here are some amps from the past that I have paired with G&L:

RickT