Which era of G&L instruments appeals to you ?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:25 pm

I'm a modern sort of guy.
23%
I'm a Leo era guy.
9%
I'm a little of both, they're all good.
68%
What's a G&L ?
No votes

Total votes : 22

Lunch Report - Thursday March 10th

Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi all and welcome to Thursdays lunch report

Lunch:

Well after yesterdays healthy outing today I totally blew the gates off and had a plate of chips with some brown bread. For our US friends that would be french fries with some wholemeal bread. And of course some ketchup. Which has to be Heinz, no substitutes accepted ! Are any of you particular about your ketchup ? A strange question maybe but it's one of those little things that complete the circle so to speak.

Oh and my token healthy option for today was the usual sparkling water :happy0065:

G&L Question:

Do you prefer the modern or Leo Era instruments ?

I have a couple of modern, if that is the correct term, S500s. A standard S500 and a Deluxe model. I've never played an original version, don't think I've even seen a lefty one. How do G&L fans define the different eras of instruments ? Is it by the body style or the year of manufacture or possibly whether the instrument is pre or post Leo Fenders passing ? Are such terms even relevant or useful ? I'm relatively new to G&L, since 2008 or so, I know some of you guys go back a lot further than that. Do newer members have an opinion on the older instruments or does it not interest them ? Do you wake up in the morning GAS'ing for an early Rampage ? I'm guessing the Bluesboy would be classed as a modern era instrument. Isn't it one of the biggest selling models ? Personally I'd like to try a few of the older models, the S500 in particular or maybe an SC-3 or even a funky early Invader, that would be cool.

Any thoughts welcome.

Non G&L Question:

Do you wax ?

:shocked003:

Ha !

:banana:

Now that I've got your attention .... which wax or polish, if any , do you use on your guitars ? Electric, bass or acoustic. Do you wax at all or do you prefer to just leave everything au natural ? ( still talking guitars here ... :roll: ). I know some guys don't like the idea of polishing a guitar or even cleaning it down after they've used it. I like to have them nice and shiny and once in a while I give them a good polish. Importantly do you apply any wax or polish to the fingerboard ? I always wipe down my strings after playing and use string cleaner but I don't use polish on the fretboard. If it's looking grubby I apply some lem oil to a cloth and give it a good rub down. Lately I've been using carnauba wax, Planet Waves actually. I find that it really brings out the wood grain in any any instrument. Well except for solid finishes of course ! It is also great for protecting the finish on hardware, gold in particular. I tend to corrode tailpieces, tuners and pickup covers etc. very quickly and wax seems to slow that down a fair bit.
Please discuss.

Todays G&L photo ...

ASAT Deluxe semi hollow in honey burst

Again, thanks for any and all input guys.

Paul

Re: Lunch Report - Thursday March 10th

Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Paul, I had a healthy lunch, soup, today. Your choice of ketchup is just fine and II love French Fries.

Vintage G&L or modern. I think that the discussion on the tremolo plate adjustment in the past couple of days has been healthy and kind of tells us where I am at. The setup manual was still referring to the 3 bolt/ micro tilt neck. The quality control has become much more refined and the build quality I think has improved, especially with CNC and Plek. There have been some very minor changes at times and that became apparent yesterday when I actually did some measuring. So, these little differences add up collectively and all of a sudden things are not as they were. 1/16 of an inch can make quite a difference on adjustments. I think that the new manufacturing process and machines have brought the build quality to a level of consistency that we have not seen before. I hope that the same holds true for the quality of the woods in the future builds. Yep, I am a modern guy.

Wax?? First of all my wife is a manicurist and does waxing in her salon. I see wax with nothing else and I say What????????????? So after my initial shock and scrolling down, I get it. Yes, I wax the daylights out of the guitars and find that it is necessary on nitro necks( I have seen Bills post). I normally do not wax maple fretboards until I change strings. The rosewood boards get the lemon oil several times a year, especially in the winter due to the dryness in our climate. I have used many different kinds of waxes and have to admit that I do not have a clear favorite.

Beautiful Honeyburst today! :thumbup: Darwin

Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:03 pm

My brother in law is from Dundee, Scotland (don't hold that against me) and he always talks about having a CHIP BUDDY, I am assuming that its close to what you had for lunch. The Scottish would eat a more starchy bread, I understand.

I'm a modern guy cause I'm just learning. I'm sorry, but i don't get when people say they want that vintage strat sound? If the guitar sounds great, perfect. I also don't like antiques for the same reason, don't get having old furniture.

I wax the bodies and oil the fretboards. Its like that first coat of wax on a new car, looks fantastic after!

You made me laugh, lol, thanks for that!

Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:17 pm

That must be the prettiest Deluxe ever made. Wow!

Vintage/Modern G&L: I think they are all great. I will say that the necks on the Leo-era stuff feels very vintage Fender, which suits me.
The newer guitars may actually be better made, though, thanks mostly to technological advances in manufacturing processes.

Wax: Not me!

- ed

Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:24 pm

astutzmann wrote:My brother in law is from Dundee, Scotland (don't hold that against me) and he always talks about having a CHIP BUDDY, I am assuming that its close to what you had for lunch. The Scottish would eat a more starchy bread, I understand.

I'm a modern guy cause I'm just learning. I'm sorry, but i don't get when people say they want that vintage strat sound? If the guitar sounds great, perfect. I also don't like antiques for the same reason, don't get having old furniture.

I wax the bodies and oil the fretboards. Its like that first coat of wax on a new car, looks fantastic after!

You made me laugh, lol, thanks for that!

Yes the chip butty ... one of the main food groups !

Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:27 pm

astutzmann wrote:My brother in law is from Dundee, Scotland (don't hold that against me) and he always talks about having a CHIP BUDDY,

I think you mean a CHIP BUTTIE. Buttie refers to the butter on the bread in which the chips are placed, not your posterior (though eat too many and that may become an issue).

Ketchup: We generally call it 'tomato sauce' here. In some places its known simply as sauce - for example, the bakery, where you ask for a 'pie and sauce' if you would like a mince "meat" pie with tomato ketchup. My favourite brand is called 'Rosella', named after my favourite bird, the beautiful native Australian bird (pictured below). Its cheaper than Heinz and tastes better IMO. There's another one called 'White Crow' which is also very nice.

G&Ls: I'm yet to play a Leo era instrument so it's hard for me to comment. I have a pre-BBE ASAT which is a very nice instrument. Is it nicer than my newer ones? It's too early to comment. When the new ones I have are the same age I'll be able to make a decision.

Waxing: Not for me, though it seems a lot of the younger guys at uni are doing it......

For guitars I have a polish cloth which came free with a bulk lot of strings I bought that I use and it does a good enough job. The guitars come up squeaky clean. I don't clean them all the time, just before gigs. I think it's nice to go on stage with clean tools.

Paul, that's another STUNNING guitar!!!! Honey-burst is a great finish.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:31 pm

rotfl

Buttie, not Buddie, got it!

Who can understand my brother in law anyway! :o

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Buttie, not Buddie, got it!

I like a chip buttie as much as the next guy. Thanks for the picture SouthPaw. Now I'm hungry. Who can tell what those crazy Scots are saying anyway? I was doing some research on WWI (or the Great War depending on where you're from) and read that the Scots wore kilts into battle on the Western Front, even in the freezing cold mud. The Germans were terrified of them and believed them to be insane (they probably were due to having their goolies frozen off). They called the Scots the 'Ladies from Hell' because of the kilts.

I'm not too choosy about tomato sauce, but I like Rosella better than Heinz.

G&L Question: I don't have GAS for Leo era instruments, though that might change if I ever get to play one. They're pretty hard to find in Australia. I saw a pink SC-3 on the wall of a shop once but the colour made me turn and run. I'm pretty happy with my modern G&L's but I'd like to find a good Leo era SC-2 one day. They're a cool looking axe.

Waxing: I work close to a university and I've noticed all the young dudes seem to wax so they can wear their gym clothes in public. Even more mind boggling are the ads for Manzilians on the student noticeboard. What are these guys thinking?

I've heard from several sources that Fender guitar polish is nothing more than Meguiars carnuba wax re-packaged. So I use carnuba wax on the bodies of my guitars and lemon oil on the fretboard when I change strings. I used to use a Gibson polishing kit but it left residue on my guitars that wouldn't come off. The polishing rags were nice though.

You seem to be working up to some sort of climax with the pix Paul! Each day has been better than the previous. Can't wait to see tomorrow's. :thumbup:

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:47 pm

[quote="SouthpawGuy"]Hi all and welcome to Thursdays lunch report

Lunch:

Well after yesterdays healthy outing today I totally blew the gates off and had a plate of chips with some brown bread. For our US friends that would be french fries with some wholemeal bread. And of course some ketchup. Which has to be Heinz, no substitutes accepted ! Are any of you particular about your ketchup ? A strange question maybe but it's one of those little things that complete the circle so to speak.

....................................My wife is from England, I know all about chip butties, yum.

G&L Question:

Do you prefer the modern or Leo Era instruments ?

..........................................That ansewer your question?

I have had some mid 90's guitars sneak in here and there and bought a new hog S-500 when they came out in 02 or 04? but It's leo all the way for me.
Lero era is considered before his passing.

sorry got a cut it short, contractors here for our thursday night maintanence metting,

later
gary

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:10 pm

Holy smokes. It looks to me like the Duck has been hunting. I hope he didn't get fined for being over the limit but he sure has picked the best from the flock and most of them are old geezers!!!! What a collection!-- Darwin

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Lunch:
Since I was home waiting for the arrival of a new washer and dryer, I could make myself a couple of grilled Mild Italian sausage sandwiches with sauted onions and green bell bepper and toasted Hoagie rolls. Pretty darn good. The kitties liked it too ...

G&L Question:
I have both Leo era and BBE era models. I like the sound of maple bodies and those are more prevalent in the Leo era. But I also like many of the Limited and Special Built Editions of late. And of course Tim 'Buffalo Bros.' Page's contributions to the G&L line-up. And those are all BBE-era. Most models I buy are not what you would call the 'standard production instruments' so I would not be the right person to judge those and/or Tribute models. Let me also add that I do have a serious crush on the Bi-Cut neck and am saddened to see them gone. With a Bi-Cut neck, the Bird's Eye Maple neck had the same warranty as the rest of the guitar ...

Wax:
I clean my instruments after playing with a rag and polish cloth and clean the strings with string cleaner. Just like you Paul, I use some lem oil when necessary especially on the Indian Rosewood neck of my PRS McCarty. But have never used wax on any of them.

BTW, what brand is your neck pup in that beautiful Deluxe? I don't see a SD brand logo on it and am curious.

- Jos

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:39 pm

SouthpawGuy wrote:Do you prefer the modern or Leo Era instruments ?

I don't GARA about "era."

SouthpawGuy wrote:Now that I've got your attention .... which wax or polish, if any , do you use on your guitars ?

I've got some "Lizard Spit"--good stuff, but I rarely use it. A micro fiber cloth works good enough for me. But hey, I never shine my shoes. ;-)

--GDub

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:53 pm

gary: What a collection. I know I probably ought to change my undies due to that stunning G-200, the rare Interceptor(s), etc. But I have to tell you: Even though I don't play bass, I just can't get my eyes off of that particular SB-2 you managed there. The average one of those is really something. The one you've got there, I can only imagine the woody thunder of it..... - ed

Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:09 am

Being a G&L scrounger type of enthusiast, kinda an anti-jos if you will, all my stuff is straight production--and I love all three guitars I own right now.

Before I started participating on this forum regularly, I was not aware of the 'pre-bbe' era. So I foolishly called my 93 ASAT classic Leo Era, cause it has the 3 bolt. But I am all trained up now! Well, mostly, I don't know exactly when BBE bought G&L. But I do know it was before '08 when my ASAT Deluxe was made.

I have changed from an s-style guy to a tele style guy in this last 10 year stint of guitar playing. If you like the t-style G&L's, Jos's collection of Broadcasters/ASAT's is outrageous and you might check his blog about them, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Gary, that gold/yellow F-100, what is it honey-lemon or something, blows my MIND every time I see it. If you were to tell me it's a HOG, I might just lose it completely. Most new stuff I am looking at and buying now is chunky t-style, but my go to player is still my f-100. Amazing collection all round.

Wax?
Wax? Yea about 4 times a year. (the guitar body, blarg, the guitar body. I am too old and fat for any of this metro-business) But lemon oil on rosewood/ebony boards all most every string change. And I change strings a lot. I am a greasy guy, and my fretboards get nasty pretty quick--if you let it go a couple months of heavy playing it is a struggle to get the shmutz off. The effect of hard wax on my old f-100 that has been used and abused is amazing. It shines again!

Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:49 am

Great left handed instruments, as usual. Heinz is my brand too, but the family behind it is a bit eccentric. As for the eras of G&L I've yet to be disappointed. I like the bi-cut and quartersawn, but the new way will show off the birdseye better. Wax? I don't do it often, but use Lizard Spit or car wax when "needed". I bring my guitars in to a reputable shop to get the star treatment annually.

Cheers,

Will

Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Gary, that gold/yellow F-100, what is it honey-lemon or something, blows my MIND every time I see it. If you were to tell me it's a HOG, I might just lose it completely. Most new stuff I am looking at and buying now is chunky t-style, but my go to player is still my f-100. Amazing collection all round.

Candy lemon, and it is a HOG, so is the white one next to it in one of the pics.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:17 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Lunch:

BTW, what brand is your neck pup in that beautiful Deluxe? I don't see a SD brand logo on it and am curious.

- Jos

Sorry, I missed the question ....

As far as I know it's a G&L humbucker. The Invader and Legacy 2HB have the same non Duncan pickup so I presume it's the same model in all three.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks SouthpawGuy, I already had such a suspicion. A while back, I put out a post asking me if anybody knew who manufactured the pups on my Deluxe because I didn't see the SD brand on them either. Unfortunately, there weren't a lot of takers. But nevertheless, I suspect mine are G&L too even though that doesn't jibe with years given in the updated pickup list. There it is indicated that these pups were used in '08-'09 whereas my ASAT Deluxe got built in '02 but was back at the factory in '05. But every time I see a pic of a Deluxe with pups sand SD print, I ask.

- Jos