Lunch Report - Tuesday February 22, 2011

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:25 am

This is an early report, since I'm not sure whether I would be able to post this from my office. Anyway, I'm sure it's lunchtime for a G&L enthusiast somewhere...

Lunch:
I will probably spend the entire day responding to two weeks' worth of emails and phone messages, so I'm packing a lunch to eat at my desk. Tuna salad with lots of dill, a couple of oranges and probably a bag of chips and a Coke Zero from the cafeteria.

G&L Topic:
Yesterday's discussion about the Rampage reissue and signature models in general made me think about what HASN'T been reissued. Personally, I would love to see a reissue or update on the G-200. I've never played one, but the looks are very appealing to me and I love the thought of a 24.75" scale neck combined with G&L electronics and craftsmanship (if nothing else, for that little bit of extra reach for chord extensions). Question of the Day: If you could select an instrument for G&L to reissue, what would it be and why?

Non-G&L topic:
Yesterday afternoon I stopped by my local guitar shop and picked up a digital delay I had on layaway. It's an older Boss model, but it's my first foray into anything longer than a slapback echo. I tend to work with chords much more than single-note leads, so I was expecting a steep learning curve to get enjoyable sounds. I played it with a Skyhawk into a Jazz Chorus, totally clean. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to build layers of sound, especially the way regeneration gave a hint of distortion as the layers built up. I plan to try it again this evening with a brighter-voiced instrument, to see if it responds differently. Question of the day: What was your most recent (or significant) find for an effect pedal?

Ken

Re: Lunch Report - Tuesday February 22, 2011

Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:53 am

thanks for the lunch report, just started reading these about 2 weeks ago and am amazed at the amount of info learned in them.

G&L topic of a re-issue. Seems to me that G&L is very careful with what they release and who they use as a representative and I like that. I am amazed still at the quality of my bluesboy and legacy. Bluesboy had some issues, but after a day with a luthier and a proper setup and neck adjustment, new nut, its amazing. I'm in love all over again, ha. Funny, he said its common for a new neck to need a truss rod adjustment after 1 year and again after a second year. ????? Anyway, if G&L were to do a re-issue, I would want it to be really special. I have heard of the 200, but a Broadcaster comes to mind as a special instrument that's missing.

Non G&L. My amp has a clean channel and a 2 watt distortion channel, switchable between lower and higher distortion, so I haven't thought about pedals much. As I checked into them, there seem to be just way too many options for my peanut brain to comprehend and when I ask at a guitar store, I get the "noobie" look from the sales folks. So, I have bought a line 6 box which inputs to my mac for garageband, through a napogee duet, works well, but not really needed. I didnt want to use the line 6 in front of my amp, so recently I saw a good guitar player live and between sets, talked to him about it. He said he got rid of all his pedals and went basic with a Boss ME-70, multi effects processor. Good enough he said and 1 box. So I just bought one of those and am learning how to use it. Right now, only using the reverb on it but want to learn the rest of the functions. 1 Day, want to be able to be good enough to use the loop function and play multiple parts, I love it when I see that on youtube.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:13 am

Question of the day: What was your most recent (or significant) find for an effect pedal?

That would be either my MI Audio Tube Zone or the Durham Sex Drive. The TZ is just an OD, but it would have to be the best I've tried and it's not too expensive either. The Sex Drive is a great clean boost and has been a constant fixture on my pedal board for the last 4 years. It hasn't missed a beat either. Another contender would be the BBE Sonic Stomp, it makes any amp sound about 43% better.

If you could select an instrument for G&L to reissue, what would it be and why? Maple bodied Broadcaster, because I want one :D

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:39 am

Unable to post yesterday but nice start to the week.

G&L Topic:
If you could select an instrument for G&L to reissue, what would it be and why?
Being an ASAT guy, and the fact I do not have one, I would say maple body Broadcaster built to original spec. And the marketing guys would just have wait for someone to tell them not to use the Broadcaster name! :shh:

Non-G&L topic:
Question of the day: What was your most recent (or significant) find for an effect pedal?
Nothing "recent" but got a BBE Two-Timer about a year ago that I enjoy due to the ability to choose two settings. It does offer a little different sound than my Carbon Copy as well.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:56 am

I would love to play a G-200 to see what all of the fuss is about. I am a bass player primarily, so a guitar reissue would only be a curiosity to me. If I had my choice, I would love to see G&L reissue the two-tone bass with the stylized body, and El Toro pickups, whose name escapes me right now. I think it may be the Interceptor bass. I have been looking for one to try out for a long time.

I like the Sonic Maximizer, that I received for doing the Lunch Reports. I appreciate the tone enhancement that it gives me when I play some less powerful basses than G&Ls.

Nice job this week and the last four. I have been too busy at work to post lately.

bassman

Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:47 pm

First, nice to see you back around and I love tuna with lots of dill !!

Question of the Day: If you could select an instrument for G&L to reissue, what would it be and why?

......................G-200 if they did it right, just don't murder it like they did with the F-100.

I went on a pedal binge years ago and sold them all off with the board. Now if I want to play around with effects I run my POD XT in front of the amp or record direct with it. I do have a small collection of BBE pedals from doing lunch reports and I find myself getting back into it, the BBE pedal I use the most is the sonic stomp, it does wonders in front of my old low watt tube amps. I also recomend the bench press, nice compressor.

gary

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:18 pm

Non G&L Topic - I picked up one of these off Evil Bay a few months ago. It's not strictly a guitar pedal, but takes guitars really well. The digital delay is warm and lo-fi due to the old school 8-bit resolution, and adjusting the pitch control a couple of cents gives a noticeable thickening of the tone, almost like a chorus.

This box's big party trick is reverse (inverse) delay. When set 100% wet it sounds just like a guitar solo from Revolver. I LOVE it! :D

G&L Topic - I pretty much agree with everyone else. I'd like to see an authentic G-200 reissue or a maple bodied ASAT style guitar which couldn't be called a Broadcaster.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:08 pm

My quickie response (very busy!):

Don't care much for reissues. Give me something with the Mustang body, a bridge humbucker and a big MFD in the neck.

Pedals: Don't use them much, but I really enjoy the Green Screamer I got for doing L/R. It's really as good as any TS-anything I have tried, and I think it will outlast me by a bunch of years. - ed