Lunch report - Friday 18th February 2011

Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:52 am

Lunch: Birmingham (West Midlands, UK) again today. Delivering training to junior managers re. a big change initiative affecting our organization. A big shift needed in the culture. Most understand where we’re headed, but don’t feel that their Senior Management are ‘on side’. Lots of obstacles to overcome. Feelings of helplessness, etc. All the typical feelings when people are faced with change. Anyone here been involved in major change programmes in their organizations? How were they handled? Did they succeed? Lunch was spent (again) hunched over my laptop catching up on e-mails. I just had to get out of the office for a strong Macchiato coffee mid-afternoon. My head was ‘buzzing’. Thank goodness for strong coffee. Thank goodness for the weekend.

G&L Topic of the day: OK. Being totally selfish and ‘mercenary’, I have to admit that the prospect of being awarded a G&L / BBE stomp box of my choice for a week’s service as your Lunch Reporter did sway my decision to accept the nomination. I admit it. What an incentive though. I’m not sure what the choice is likely to be. (Craig will present me with a list shortly from which I shall choose.) But, folks, for those of you who use a G&L / BBE stomp box already, what would you recommend? And why? I’d be hooking it up to a Fender Blues Junior with or without a Boss PW-10 V-Wah.

Non-G&L Topic of the day: Well, I have to finish off my week as your Lunch Reporter with a G&L-related Non-G&L Topic of the day. “Eh? What’s he talking about then?” I’m talking about a visit to the USA specifically to visit Fullerton, CA. Do G&L do ‘open days’ for visitors? An opportunity to look around the factory? I’ve only ever visited the USA once. That was way back in 2006 when I did a 2 week ‘exchange visit’ with the Michigan Army National Guard (State Medical Command). We were based out of Camp Grayling in the Lower Peninsula. It was great fun. The Guard treated us very well. I have fond memories of those 2 weeks and still have occasional contact with some of those with whom I served. I managed a trip to the Upper Peninsula (UP) too in that time and spent a few days in Munising on the shores of Lake Superior. It was summer and we had a boat on the Lake. Cruising around. Barbecues on the beaches. Beers in the cooler. Swimming in the Lake. Lake Superior of all places. Wow! What memories! Never been back since though.

So, a visit maybe to California and to Fullerton? Wouldn’t that be a blast? Anyone here (other than those who work / have worked at G&L / BBE) had the honour and pleasure of a visit? If so, I’m very jealous. Share your experiences and memories please.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, that’s me then folks. A week as your Lunch Reporter. I hope I’ve given you a tiny glimpse into the life of one proud British owner & player of G&L guitars. The company is doing something very right it seems to me. A top-quality product at an affordable price, and a feeling that they are still keeping to the spirit and tradition of what ‘George & Leo’ would have wanted for their business. It feels like a small ‘family’ business, although I’m sure their manufacturing processes and business set-up today is as professional as the other company which still bears the ‘Fender’ name. I pass on my best wishes and sincere thanks to all the folks at G&L. May you go on doing what you do so very well.

Adios folks.

Bill

Re: Lunch report - Friday 18th February 2011

Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Bill,

Change programs, huh. Well, I have never been through one myself. But I have witnessed a couple as an invoved bystander. I was working as a Program Manager for a software supplier to MCI back in the late 90's through, oh 2004 or so. Anyway, the WorldCom 'buyout' was a nightmare. It was miserable as a supplier. But it was hell for my colleagues at MCI. The brain drain was phenomenal, as you would expect. The other was my wife worked for a small telecom, and when it was being sold the change program by her parent company (the one selling he small telecom) was fantastic. Really well managed. So i am sure you need a break, but you can really make a difference in peoples lives. The difference in the way these two situations went down, as it affected the rank and file was amazing..

I sure enjoyed your lunch reports this week. I got my first BBE stomp box as a lunch reporter, I chose the Sonic Stomp which was on the list when I was LR. It is an interesting little bugger. I have turned the knobs pretty extensively. It really tightens up the sound of some guitar pre-amp combos--it is interesting to me, sometimes it doesn't seem to make much difference. What the hell is it anyway, LOL. I don't find I use it that much in front of my Fender DR's, but I really like it in front of my all-tube Pignose with single coil pickups. Also, I really like it in front of direct-in on my acoustic guitar for just a little more tight sound. (Of course the only place I have heard this setup is through my in-ear monitor system. I need to finish a couple of demo's and mix them down so I can hear them on a real stereo.)

Well, I was so happy with the quality of the sonic stomp pedal I tried the two-timer delay. I am pretty new to effects, but overall I really like the two-timer as well.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Bill, interesting reports this week. Many of us enjoy the LRs and I hope that more do in the future. Thanks for stepping up

I only have to deal with one change program now. I have all these hard decisions too make during retirement but I am constantly busy and if I weren't, Ginny would help me.

I currently have a Sonic Stomp and an 882I maximizer for vocals. They are magic and will enhance most amplifiers, some more than others. The BBE pedals are built like tank and I would suspect are difficult to wear out. Definitely a great prize for LR duty. Wouldn't it be nice if jury duty paid that well.

Now that I am retired I would like to hop on my Gold Wing and made a trip to Fullerton and also the Buffalo Bros. I really enjoy their web site and wish they were closer. -- Darwin :greet:

Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:23 pm

It's a hard choice, I'd like to have a Soul Vibe, a Mind Bender and the Bench Press too! They're all good quality pedals and you can't choose wrong. I'd recommend the Sonic Stomp. It's hard to describe its effect, but it gives your sound more punch and definition. It can liven up your sound a lot too. They do have a more profound effect with some amps than others, but with a tweak of the knobs you can make you amp/guitar sound even better. I never turn mine off now.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:06 pm

darwinohm wrote:Bill, interesting reports this week. Many of us enjoy the LRs and I hope that more do in the future. Thanks for stepping up

Thanks Darwin. My pleasure. I enjoyed my stint as LR for the week. I hope more volunteer for the future. Bill