Lunch report - Thursday 17th February 2011

Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:19 am

Lunch: Overall, a good day. Worked from Birmingham, West Midlands. UK members will know where that is. For others, think of a big city slap bang in the middle of England and you’ll get the general idea. Lunch was “same as, same as”. No surprises there. And, as usual, spent hunched over the laptop catching up on e-mails. Back there again tomorrow. Delivering training which isn’t my primary job role, but very satisfying. Working with good people hampered in their ‘day jobs’ by ineffective Managers. Sounds familiar?

G&L Topic of the day: So, ‘George & Leo’ left a great legacy for which the music world is surely grateful. But, let’s suppose for a minute that they hadn’t both passed on and were still very much alive and well and active today. Full of that energy and drive that they would have had in the beginning. Just how do you think they would be developing the company today? What new products and what new markets would they be looking to develop? What new innovations would we be seeing coming out of the workshops? Anyone want to come up with some ideas? Maybe those here who are close to the company could shed some light on ‘what might have been’?

Non-G&L Topic of the day: You’ll recall from yesterday’s post that I’m a keen ‘hiker’. I like to get out in the country and walk. I prefer the hills and mountains rather than flat plains and coastal areas. The club I belong to has a bunkhouse in Snowdonia (North Wales, United Kingdom) which is only a 2 hour drive from Shrewsbury. So, you’ll find me up there quite a bit. The United Kingdom also has fine mountain areas in the Lake District and in Scotland. But, what really impressed me some while back was reading Bill Bryson’s ‘A Walk in the Woods’ – his account of some hiking he did along the Appalachian Trial (the AT) with his friend Stephen Katz. I also got hold of the audio book which is read by Bill Bryson himself. Now, Bryson is a real good writer. Real funny. I like his style. His tale of his AT walk got me thinking how great it would be to tackle that walk. So, anyone here got any experience of walking the AT, or even just a part of it? And, if not the AT, then how about another long distance trail or footpath? What tales have you got to tell? Who did you meet along the way? Which bits would you recommend to others?

Thanks.

Bill

Re: Lunch report - Thursday 17th February 2011

Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:40 pm

George and Leo understood that the most important components on the guitar are pickup, bridge and electronics, so I assume that those are the areas that they keep experimenting and innovating.

A few years ago I ran across someone recommending Bill Bryson's "In A Sunburned Country" and so I read it. It was a great read and incredibly hilarious. I remember I laughed out loud several times reading this book. Since then I have read "A Walk In The Woods" and the one where he did a walking tour of England before he moved back to the US. They are all good and well worth the time.

When I was in high school (decades ago) I used to do a lot of hiking, but sadly I have not done much of that since then. A couple of years ago I was vacationing in Hawaii with my family and I decided we were going to hike to this green sand beach. It wasn't that far but it took close to 2 hours each way and pretty hot and windy. To this day I still get complaints from my wife and kids about that decision. I thought it was worth it -

Another time in Hawaii we hiked to see lava. This was not that much of a hike and again it was well worth the effort-

Kit

Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:43 pm

Great photo Kit! What a great place to get rid of a body......

I enjoy Bill Bryson too, I've read a few of his books, most recently 'A Short History...' I forget the rest of the name. Great read. I think I'll have a look at the library for the AT book, sounds like a good one. I haven't done any long hiking stuff, but once walked around all day on a hunt in the German forest. I was a beater, so got to yell at wild boar to scare them in the direction of the European aristocracy who were doing the shooting. SInce then I've been wanting to go on more hikes, it was great fun and we got potato soup and beer at lunch time, and it was free. It's one of the most memorable days of my life.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:01 pm

Sorry I've been a bit out of touch this week. Dealing with lots of family stuff, trying to be a good son to aging parents...

I appreciate the book recommendation. I like outdoorsy books, and I like humorous ones. Can't recall reading one that combined these genres, so I am very much looking froward to exploring "A Walk in the Woods" and then perhaps other works by Mr. Bryson.

The Appalachian trail actually runs about 35 miles west of here, so I have walked (a very small portion of) it. Hilly and beautiful. Though my trail walking experience is limited, most years we get in the car and drive a road (which I can 't recall) which parallels the trail in the northern part of Virginia in the autumn to look at leaves. If I can find some photos, I'll post them.

Regarding what Leo and his buddies might be up to today, it's hard to tell because I have some serious doubts as to whether G&L would have survived some of the lousy economic periods we've endured since his death. I have a suspicion the Mr. Fender may well have gotten back into the amplifier end of the business, given his love of electronics and his great success in this area. - ed

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Bill, I have been winding down today and Ginny is under the weather.

Over the years in the computer industry I did a lot of training and I enjoyed it. I reflected a bit in your yesterday lunch report and I am enjoying my freedom from all the stress that you folks have to put up with now days.

I think Leo would have done just fine. I think that BBE has done a great job on the product and when you look at what has changed on a Tele or a Strat today, there isn't that much. They are a design that is timeless and G&l has taken advantage of that too. Personally I think that Gibson is in trouble. I might be wrong but they are coming out with new artist models weekly. Who is going to by these overpriced models. They are nothing but standard models with artist tweaks and are priced as though they are specifically engineered models. The signature models go for $7500 or more. Who is going to buy a Don Felder signature model, with the ding like his original for $10,000? I don't even know who Slash is. I guess that dates me as prehistoric. But, I think that staying with the proven basics is survival. Any of you looking for a Robot? How about the new Robot type that Gibson is pushing? This to me is a sign of being desperate. The beautiful woods, quality control and finishes that G&L provides is where it is at for me. Do they have a guitar that sells for over $2500? based on what you can buy new for $1500 what would a $10,000 G&L have?

Kit, excellent pictures that you posted. The lava flow would keep you feet warm! Bill, I would like be a hiker. I spent some time in the UK in 1970 and it was very enjoyable. I was at the Grand Canyon in the 1960s and some young people from Germany had walked to the bottom and back up. That was a tough trip and I never tried it. I would have rented a donkey. I would need a world class Dr. to make me into novice hiker at my age. Great reports this week!--- Darwin

Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:18 pm

Hey Bill, it's been a dream of mine for many years to "thru-hike" the AT, I wish I had acted on it right after high school. I had bought a book on how to plan for the trip but never got it all together. I have hiked portions of it, here are a few pics from Mt. Washington in New Hampshire, tallest peak on the east coast and part of the AT

Ranger station; about the half way mark to the summit on Tuckerman Ravine Trail

As you might imagine the first half was the easier one, there is a trail in there I promise :mrgreen:

One of my best friends and I close to the summit

Victory! this was my second or third time to the top

I've hiked Mt. Washington many times over the years it's one of my favorite places to be, and only 4 hours drive from home.

Most of my hikes are local and much less impressive. In the spring (before hunting season) I try to get out at least once a week with my hiking buddy
(I just realized this pic is from last Fall during hunting season, not very relaxing hearing gunfire in the distance :o )

Sorry for the ramble, the talk of hikes and a 53 degree day today have me aching for spring time. Other long distance trails of note? the Long Trail in Vermont is supposed to be nice, closer to home in RI we have the North-South Trail which is about a 3-4 day hike from the coast up to Massachusetts (75 miles I think) not very long in comparison. I highly recommend Acadia National Park in Maine as well.

-Dave

Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:26 pm

darwinohm wrote:Do they have a guitar that sells for over $2500?

Yes they do. Some Limited Editions like the C.L.F. Centennial and Phyllis Model "Blondie" have a price tag above your number. And funny enough G&L's most expensive, commercially available, model ever is a 'artist' model: the Jerry Cantrell Signature 'Blue Dress' Rampage.

- Jos

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:40 pm

Thanks for the info Jos, that blows me away. Now I may pay some good bucks for a JJ Asat but they seem to be coveted. The model in your link I had not seen or even heard of. That's what happens when I live in a cave in Minneapolis. Thanks Jos, boy was I way off on the $2500 cap. I don't think my ASAT Ghost could even come close to $2000.--- Darwin

Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi Darwin,
FYI, if you do to a site like Guitar Asylum, pick a model like the Comanche and complete ly deck out the instrument, you'll be surprised how much it'll set you back. Not necessarily in a bad way because it is still way cheaper than e.g. a Custom Shop Fender or Gibson. But you easily exceed your $2,500 limit.

And here is another link to a 'Blue Dress'. I didn't have a lot of time yesterday to find a proper link and used the first one I could think of. But I had seen NAMM pics that showed the extraordinary detail that went into this model. Just look at the neck plate. That thing is in and by itself a miniature piece of art. So when I suggested that the new S/N look would be moved to the neck plate, I wasn't suggesting anything tG&L hasn't done before, since I knew about this thing.

- Jos

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:46 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:I haven't done any long hiking stuff, but once walked around all day on a hunt in the German forest. I was a beater, so got to yell at wild boar to scare them in the direction of the European aristocracy who were doing the shooting. SInce then I've been wanting to go on more hikes, it was great fun and we got potato soup and beer at lunch time, and it was free. It's one of the most memorable days of my life.

Free beer has to be a good reason to put yourself in front of the rifles. Glad to hear you had a great time. Bill

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:48 pm

zapcosongs wrote:I appreciate the book recommendation. I like outdoorsy books, and I like humorous ones. Can't recall reading one that combined these genres, so I am very much looking froward to exploring "A Walk in the Woods" and then perhaps other works by Mr. Bryson.

The Appalachian trail actually runs about 35 miles west of here, so I have walked (a very small portion of) it. Hilly and beautiful. Though my trail walking experience is limited, most years we get in the car and drive a road (which I can 't recall) which parallels the trail in the northern part of Virginia in the autumn to look at leaves. If I can find some photos, I'll post them.

Yes please Ed, do post some photos. Will be good to see them. Bill

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:52 pm

darwinohm wrote:They are a design that is timeless and G&l has taken advantage of that too. .... But, I think that staying with the proven basics is survival. ... The beautiful woods, quality control and finishes that G&L provides is where it is at for me.

Great reports this week!--- Darwin

Thanks Darwin. I agree with you about "The beautiful woods, quality control and finishes that G&L provides". That's exactly the attraction for me too. Thanks. Bill

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:56 pm

Dave_P wrote:Hey Bill, it's been a dream of mine for many years to "thru-hike" the AT, ...

Most of my hikes are local and much less impressive. In the spring (before hunting season) I try to get out at least once a week with my hiking buddy

Sorry for the ramble, the talk of hikes and a 53 degree day today have me aching for spring time. Other long distance trails of note? the Long Trail in Vermont is supposed to be nice, closer to home in RI we have the North-South Trail which is about a 3-4 day hike from the coast up to Massachusetts (75 miles I think) not very long in comparison. I highly recommend Acadia National Park in Maine as well.

-Dave

Thanks for the pics Dave. I like the one of your 'hiking buddy'. That's a great pic. Thanks for the trial recommendations too. Maybe one day? Bill