The Day the Music Died - Thursday Lunch Report - 2-3-2011

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:41 am

Alright....it's Thursday already!
Having fun being Lunch Reporter this week. :D

Anyhow...yes, today back in 1959, the world lost Buddy Holly, J.P. Richardson, and Ritchie Valens.
Any of you guys were alive when it happened??
I wouldn't be born for another 10 years, but their music, especially Buddy's really helped shape me..

Exhibit A...

[youtube]FpWHp6i-Bhg[/youtube]

Anyhow...on with the show!

I'm still feeling under the weather today, so I stayed home. It's nasty outside today. Not as bad as most of the country, but just wet, cold and generally gross.

Lunch

Probably leftover red beans and rice. One of my favorite comfort foods. My wife made a big batch last night...YUM.

G&L Question

Ok......if you could permanently "barrow" another members G&L, which one would you "nab"???
There's a lot of beautiful guitars and basses floating around this forum. I'll have to mull this one over myself!

General Music Question

Alright...another question for the band guys.
After you've got your songs tight, and your sound right, I think the most important other thing is creating a good look for you band.
Does your band have a "look", or do you just pile on stage wearing whatever?

General Music Question for the non band peeps.

There's a lot of great unknown music in the world. What are some great bands that we should know about?
Post a song or video by them and let's spread the good music!

Well....that's about it for me today. I think I'm about to take some Nyquil and go to "happy land"
I look forward to your answers! :banana:

Re: The Day the Music Died - Thursday Lunch Report - 2-3-2011

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:44 am

Anyhow...yes, today back in 1959, the world lost Buddy Holly, J.P. Richardson, and Ritchie Valens.
Any of you guys were alive when it happened??

.....................I was five

Ok......if you could permanently "barrow" another members G&L, which one would you "nab"???
There's a lot of beautiful guitars and basses floating around this forum. I'll have to mull this one over myself!

Jim's Interceptor

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:45 pm

G&L Question

Probably this one.....Yowhatsskakin's Broadcaster. Always wanted one of those, and that on is a beauty!!

General Music Question for the non band peeps.

There's a lot of great unknown music in the world. What are some great bands that we should know about?
Post a song or video by them and let's spread the good music!

We recently played with these guys....JB Beverley and the Wayward Drifters.
They are buddies with Wayne Hancock and Hank III, and are much in the same vein as those guys. Really nice guys to boot!

[youtube]03fqBhE89iA[/youtube]

Here's some other buds of ours....Alabama's The Modern Eldorado's.

[youtube]NnuBk2NFGb8[/youtube]

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Buddy Holly was a favorite of mine, I was eight when he died, so don't remember much about it. I loved "Peggy Sue" and "Rave On". I liked Chuck Berry, and Elvis too. "Hound Dog" and "I'm All Shook Up" were really big with my fellow third graders, as I recall.

Damn! Now I'll be humming those songs all day!

That's a great question! I'm not the borrowing kind, and besides, I'm pretty happy with the guitars I have. But I wouldn't mind having a "sit, strum and yak" session with Jay and his C. P. Thorntons. I've only ever seen pics of those guitars, and it would be fun to actually play one.

As for the look of my band, we do try to look nice and not "scruffy". Sandy, our beyboardist, always looks nice--made up and put together, but never provocative. I'm usually in a bright colored Polo shirt and Dockers-type pants. Don might wear anything from a suit to a outlaw bikers' vest, and he usually has one of his Stetsons. We've done some summer festivals where we all wore matching Hawaiian shirts, and that looked really great. And we did an outdoor wedding with the boys in the band all wearing pink Polos--as pink was one of the bride's colors. When we have dressed up, I notice we seem to get better tips. I really do think a band should make the effort to look special.

As for bands....they've been a favorite of mine for a LONG time, but check out keyboardist Neil Larson and his bands, with guitarist Buzz Feiten. (Yeah, THAT Buzz Feiten.) "Larsen-Feiten Band", and Neil's solo albums "Jungle Fever" and "High Gear" are great smooth jazz recordings--with some terrific guitaring. Your feet will want to move!

And I'm off to get a massage!

Bill

Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:24 pm

I will remember that day forever. I was a Junior in high school (16) and lived in North Central Minnesota and listened to KFGO in Fargo. Buddy Holly was one of my faves and they were doing a concert in Fargo that weekend and were flying from Clear Lake Ia, to Fargo. I heard it on KFGO early in the morning, I believe a Saturday. During those years there were several artists who died in plane or auto crashes. It was also an important day for Bobby Vee in Fargo as he was a young kid, maybe 16 and he and his brother Bill, and their band, later named the Shadows, filled in for the Buddy Hollie show. The rest is history.

If I could pick a guitar to keep I would sweeten the deal to one from each member on this board. Yow, Jay, Jazzrat, Boogie and many (including you Shawn) on this board would be in big trouble. I would not have to hear any of them but could choose from pictures that have been posted and I could gather at least 50 of them faster than you might imagine. I would really open up my heart and pick up the shipping costs and to further sweeten the deal I would promise you photos whenever you became lonesome for them. I would also guarantee that they would not be resold. The only concern would be is that I hope it would not inflict me with GAS. I have seen many beauties on this board.

Our band usually dresses for the occasion. It is interesting to see the first time we play somewhere and us old farts get up and people are wondering, what can these guys do??? That is when the fun begins. We often wear Jeans and 60s flowered shirts. The best part is that I am only guy with hair on top of my head, although it is white, not blond as many of you may have thought, so I couldn't cover it with a hat. The other dudes glow under light. We joke about bands having a tour bus, we have an ambulance! -- Darwin :shocked003:

Glad you are enjoying the week Shawn! Thanks for stepping up.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:35 pm

I wasn't born for another 23 years after Buddy Holly died.... We do one of his songs - "Crying, Waiting, Hoping". We just couldn't get it right at rehearsal this week, even though we've played it live a few times. Maybe his ghost prevented us :o

I'm with you, Shawn - I'd like to have a pick on Jos' Broadcaster. Or one of Jay's CP Thorntons or his Broadcaster.

For gigs I wear a suit and tie with the soul band, jeans, boots and a shirt in the country band. I don't wear a cowboy hat. I never wear shorts or open shoes on stage

Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm with you, Shawn - I'd like to have a pick on Jos' Broadcaster. Or one of Jay's CP Thorntons or his Broadcaster.

I'd whisk Jay's CP Thornton gold top away before he even knew it was missing........

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:18 pm

I wasn't even a twinkle in my parents eye when the plane went down. But I am intimately familiar with the lore ever since I learned about Buddy Holly listening to the Stones' version of "Not Fade Away" on one of their mid-70's Greatest Hits compilations.

shawn500 wrote:G&L Question

Probably this one.....Yowhatsskakin's Broadcaster. Always wanted one of those, and that on is a beauty!!

Thanks for the reference Shawn! I feel honored! But if you want to play it, and you're more than welcome, you'll have to come and visit me in Seattle ;)

But funny you mention that guitar. Before I got it, I would have answered your question with Griff's (Bryan Griffith) maple fingerboard Broadcaster. Now I have one myself and I need to think about the answer a bit. Oh, I know, one of Will Ray's own signature models set up for the master. Just curious whether it plays better than any of mine. Mind you, I said the guitar playing better, not necessarily me, the player!

shawn500 wrote:General Music Question for the non band peeps.

One of my favorite bands is Bløf from the Netherlands with one of my favorite songs:
[youtube]jS_fkPGxzZ8[/youtube]
Another band I love and sings in a language even I do not understand is Sigur Rós from Iceland:
[youtube]vA123xHvrJo[/youtube]

Great week of LR's BTW Shawn. I wish I had the time to participate more this week, maybe put in some answers over the weekend, but I'm just swamped at the moment. But after seeing my own guitar, I just had to.

- Jos

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:38 pm

I'd also take one-o-jays CP Thorntons. I'd also nab a Trinity.

Speaking of "death"...the IPv4 addresses just ran out...
http://www.icann.org/en/news/releases/release-03feb11-en.pdf

My good friends are in Jonezetta (formed in HS right here in Clinton, MS). Ty (the bass player) leads our band at church.
[youtube]ymZCrHKHA9I[/youtube]

Their 1st hit...it played on MTV...pretty catchy. EMI just reloaded the video...(it used to be on their youtube channel)
[youtube]jmqbck15JDw[/youtube]

...and also the White Stripes quit....
Legos!
[youtube]q27BfBkRHbs[/youtube]

...Another cool type video from the David Crowder Band...with
Lite Brite!
[youtube]P8cAU475dQo[/youtube]

Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:26 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
shawn500 wrote:General Music Question for the non band peeps.

One of my favorite bands is Bløf from the Netherlands with one of my favorite songs:
[youtube]jS_fkPGxzZ8[/youtube]
Another band I love and sings in a language even I do not understand is Sigur Rós from Iceland:
[youtube]vA123xHvrJo[/youtube]

Great week of LR's BTW Shawn. I wish I had the time to participate more this week, maybe put in some answers over the weekend, but I'm just swamped at the moment. But after seeing my own guitar, I just had to.

- Jos

Jos...a friend turned me on to Sigur Ros a few years back, really great stuff!
Thanks for replying, I know people get busy and don't have time to reply. I appreciate it!

Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:28 am

Kodor wrote:
My good friends are in Jonezetta (formed in HS right here in Clinton, MS). Ty (the bass player) leads our band at church.
[youtube]ymZCrHKHA9I[/youtube]

...and also the White Stripes quit....

[youtube]P8cAU475dQo[/youtube]

Nice...I like Jonezetta. Really awesome RIckenbackers!
Yeah, I saw about the White Stripes. I guess Jack is too busy with his other projects to keep it going. :(