Lunch Report - January 31st 2011

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:12 am

Hello G&L peeps!
It's my honor to be the Lunch Reporter for the week.

For those that don't know me, my name is Shawn.
I reside in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I work in the IT field. I do database support for the accounting department at our local newspaper. I have been a G&L fan for a long time and an owner since 2002. My first G&L was an S500, then I would purchase an 1981 F-100, and then a few years later I would purchase my first G&L bass, a 1999 L-2000.

..but enough of my yaking.......let's get on with it.

Lunch:

For lunch today, I am eating leftovers. I'm trying to not go out as much, both to help my pocketbook and my waistline!
I'm eating a New York strip steak that I grilled this weekend. Some shells and cheese, and a salad. YUMM!

G&L Specific

Ok, we're all fans of G&L, that's why we're here, but what I'd like to know is this...

What was you first reaction to a G&L? When you first picked on up, did you immediately bond with it, were you comparing it to a like Fender product? Did you become an immediate fan, or did it take a while to sink in?

Off the wall general music question

Ok....a scientist invents a machine that enables you to leap into a person ala Quantum Leap. This person can be anyone in history. He wants you to test it and you agree to do it.

So....here's the rules...
A. You must leap into a musical figure from history.
B. You can change the outcome of their life if you so choose.
C. You can leap into their body at any time in their career and leap out at your will. What point in their career would you choose?

Ok......everyone likes pics....here's some of my G&L babies.

Alrighty then...........I look forward to your responses! :banana:

Re: Lunch Report - January 31st 2011

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:00 pm

Shawn, welcome back as LR. I hope the weather has been better where you are although I sure that you have had lots of bad weather in the south this winter. We have already had more snow through January than we are supposed to have all year !

I had leftover Beef Stew for lunch. It was tasty.

My first G&L was a Legacy that I traded an American Tele for. I was immediately impressed with the build quality and the wood grain. It was an HSS and it was sweet. I traded it about 6 months later for a Legacy with GOT neck and maple fingerboard. The guy traded wanted a rosewood. I now have eleven of them and have owned 13.

I like the colors of your guitars especially what looks like the L2000 bass in green. Have a great week. --Darwin :happy0065:

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:02 pm

Hey Shawn

I lived just north of you for about 15 years - up in Natchez.

The first G&L I ever touched was a 1985 Interceptor. Gotta admit that thing really offended the old school part of me. But I also have to admit it was one of the best sounding guitars I had ever played. So what was a poor boy to do but suck it up and buy the thing. Since then I have owned a Broadcaster, two 1986 ASATs and a Classic S but that Interceptor remains my favorite G&L of all time.

Going back in music history

As I could leap out at will, I would go back to afternoon of December 8, 1980 and possess Mark David Chapman and fling myself off the Brooklyn Bridge.
Last edited by zombywoof on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:03 pm

Yep, that's an L-2000.
I don't actually own that one anymore. The previous owner begged me to sell it back to him.
I did with the proviso that I can barrow it whenever I want. He lives a couple of streets over so it works out.

The weather here is really nice right now. Cool but sunny. Perfect!

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:06 pm

zombywoof wrote:Going back in music history

As I could leap out at will, I would go back to afternoon of December 8, 1980 and possess Mark David Chapman and go jump off the Brooklyn Bridge.

Indeed!

That was my first thought. Go back and prevent Chapman from shooting Lennon.

But this is what I'd do.......

I would go back and inhibit the body of Hank Williams. I would clean myself up and stay off the booze and drugs, so I wouldn't die in the back of a car. I would then spend the rest of my life making sure that country music would stay on the right path and not wind up in the pathetic state it's in right now!

Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi Shawn

Love at first touch for me and a G&L - it was a Japanese Tribute series ASAT Special. I wish I had the money for it but didn't. I didn't own a G&L for 8 years after we first met!

'Quantum Leap' moment: I loved that show! I'd stop Patsy Cline from boarding the plane that crashed and killed her.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:56 pm

Red Stick representin! I'll be headed to BR sometime later this year....maybe we can grab a brew!

Lunch:
We went to Mama Hamil's today. Noticed Guy Fieri had paid a visit (since I had been there last) and signed a pic for the wall. I didn't overdo it...but it was sooo good...2 bbq poak ribs and a small piece of fried chicken with the fixins...some sweet tea to warsh it down with.

G&L Specific
What was you first reaction to a G&L? When you first picked on up, did you immediately bond with it, were you comparing it to a like Fender product? Did you become an immediate fan, or did it take a while to sink in?

I picked up my 1st G&L after it came in...it's a 2007 Legacy that I custom ordered...and came in in 3 weeks! I was an immediate fan...and joined this board actually a few days after ordering it...I think.

Quantum Leap question
Well...there are so many options to choose from. I don't think I'd try to save a musician from death...how many people became guitarists after Jimi and SRV passed?

It would be fun to see what the heck the Beatles/Stones/etc were thinking in the mid 60s when they wrote their songs. "That tree is floating...far out!"

Some here might want to leap into a womans body just to see what it feels like.

I personally wouldn't mind leaping into Leo Fender in his later days to see what pickup designs he was dreaming of...or his next best thing.

Good start this week!

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:06 pm

Kodor wrote:Red Stick representin! I'll be headed to BR sometime later this year....maybe we can grab a brew!

Mos def!

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:13 pm

Beautiful guitars, Shawn. Wow!

I'm a moron so my first encounter was a beery eBay thing where I thought I wanted a Tele with P-90's and ended up in the morning with a three-bolt G&L ASAT Special. The Belair Green color drew me in, and the large MFDs hooked me. Nice start. - ed

Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:02 am

Thanks Zapco, yeah, I like them. That blue S500 is just awesome.

Belair Green Asat!...........Very nice.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:16 pm

Shawn, finally found some time to answer your LR's. And good to hear from you!

shawn500 wrote:What was you first reaction to a G&L?

The first G&L I ever played was a Clear Orange ASAT Classic in '98 at the Zobrist music store in Seattle. I do not recall what amp I used at the time, but I do remember the guitar felt great, sounded great, and looked great. The store manager, Ron Stoehr, told me all about why G&L were such great guitars and why I should keep that in mind if I ever played a Fender Tele at the local GC. Well, after test driving some Fenders it was an easy decision. Unfortunate thing was that the ASAT Classic had been sold by then. So the first G&L I owned (and still do) was a G&L Legacy Special from the same store. Wonderful guitar especially when I went to 11's a couple of years later.

shawn500 wrote:Ok....a scientist invents a machine that enables you to leap into a person ala Quantum Leap.

When I was 27, I finished my PhD thesis in Nuclear Physics. When Keith Richards was 27, he recorded what I consider to be his 'PhD thesis': Exile on Main Street by the Stones. It has always been my dream to be Keith during that year at Nellcote. Last year saw the re-release of that seminal album which provided me with an opportunity to get some books written about the album and the subsequent '72 US STP Tour. And although all a great read, it would even be better to experience it to see whether there is any to the hoopla.

- Jos