Report: Lunch, Wednesday

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:21 am

And Now For Something Completely Different
Good Morning America! We at GbL Salute Thee! My brother and I had too much time on our hands...
[youtube]rQHpRWYRscI[/youtube]

My 1st Cousin made this: "Shannon's Ultimate Machine" AKA "The most useless robot"
[youtube]nMODMPQFma4[/youtube]

Kevin Gordon paints a picture on what it's like to be in Jr. High Band. (I know all of these little towns he mentions in the song)
...lots of visual nuggets in this song...on the bus...kid locks himself in the band directors office playing "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang" over the bandroom speakers
[youtube]i0nPDMY7BXA[/youtube]

Louisiana Fun Machines....Cece Rider and mom-n-JT on the 4-wheeler
[youtube]_TuzEpV1lgw[/youtube]

Non G&L TOTD
Anybody here play drums/percussion?

I do...i love playing the djembe. I have a real nice one from Mountain Rythym (Canada). It's amazing how much fun it is to bang on the drum.

G&L TOTD
If Mr. Leo Fender was with us...I wonder what he'd be doing....what pickups he would be inventing. It boggles my mind that the electric guitar has been around so long...and basically so little has changed. Much like John Browning's gun designs after 100 years...they just can't be topped...or can they?

LUNCH
On the road back to Louisiana today to finish up what we didn't get done yesterday. We'll probably go to the Mexican place today. I love chips and cheese dip!

Thanks for staying along with the ride sofar y'all!

Re: Report: Lunch, Wednesday

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:08 am

Your cousin is an evil genius! I'm sure battery manufacturers everywhere would love to see that design mass produced.

I wish I could play drums. Despite being a bass player with (if I may say so) a solid sense of rhythm, I just can't coordinate limbs to play a kit worth a darn (or maybe I just lack the incredible patience to get it together). Percussion, yeah, I can hold my own with a shaker or tambourine, but they still sound better in the hands of an actual percussionist.

I can't imagine what Leo would be up to if he were alive today (which, I guess is why he was Leo and I'm not). But I suspect I'd be buying the end result.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:49 am

I would love to play drums, but alas, am worthless. Someday I may take a couple weeks and practice like hell and see if I can get a little bit of a feel for it.

Also a mystery. I haven't played much base in my life. I know my scales. But I pick up a base and it is the most bizarre feeling. Like I should be able to make sense of it, but can't--I think of things to do to slowly. I try and say "it's just like your guitar, minus two strings, play something basey." But it's a goat show. I kinda start to straggle along after a couple of verses.

Keep up the good work on the LR, fun stuff...

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:56 am

No Drummer here, at least not on a kit, never had a chance to really sit down and learn though. I imagine I could do it if I had the interesting.

Sick, maybe if you tried picking up a bass you would have better luck. Those bases I hear are quite unyeilding, especially the military variety. Bass is not just like guitar minus 2 strings. Guitar players tell themselves that to try and believe they can play bass :happy0007:

Leo did seem to do a lot with pickups, so I assume that would have been more the direction he would have taken over time.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:04 am

I dig useless machines. Ok, new band name: Useless Machines. I said it first...maybe. I hope Mr. Fender would be promoting the Innovator. I'd of course have the first lefty made and brag about it. Percussion? Rhythms rule my life:

Walnut and ash.

Giorgini custom Udu.

Cheers,

Will

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:40 am

What are the first ones, and what do they do/sound like Will.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:51 am

Those are two of my medium(3' 6") slit drums and have a woody xylophone sound. It's hand percussion, but you can use mallets too. Great tone woods selected by my drum maker. I plan on taking more pictures, but here is another ash-topped large drum that has seen the stage many times:

Cheers,

Will

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:11 pm

So those spoon type cuts are tuned to a note and you rap em with your knuckles?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:26 pm

Can't thank you enuff for posting that youtube clip. Really enjoyed Kevin's music. Refreshing & different. I listened to some more of them Wow,

Ever since Monday, I've been looking at djembes. Not sure why. Was in GC, saw some, got to banging around on them. Have been looking for one at a good price on C/L. It appears I'm the only one around here who knows what one is; not much available. I'm sure I'll pick up one yet. Question: considering about 14" head - is bigger better?

I think Leo if alive today would be tinkering away in that lab. I also think he would agree that BBE has kept his tradition of quality alive and even surpassed it since getting the CNC & Plek machines.

Good stuff, Chris

jay

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:25 pm

sirmyghin wrote:So those spoon type cuts are tuned to a note and you rap em with your knuckles?

The cuts act as tongues and each one is fine tuned. Together they make a scale. The tone is easy to get and just lightly tapping the wood creates sound. Great, seasoned tone woods were used and these were made in 2002. They all either have sound holes or mic'ing holes in the back. I use Countryman http://www.countryman.com/ microphones inside and sometimes an AKG in the front of a big drum.

Cheers,

Will

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:51 pm

Kodor wrote:Anybody here play drums/percussion?

I do...i love playing the djembe. I have a real nice one from Mountain Rythym (Canada). It's amazing how much fun it is to bang on the drum.

[b]G&L TOTD

If Mr. Leo Fender was with us...I wonder what he'd be doing....what pickups he would be inventing. It boggles my mind that the electric guitar has been around so long...and basically so little has changed. Much like John Browning's gun designs after 100 years...they just can't be topped...or can they?

I took drum lessons when I was about six. Didn't have money to continue them. Funny though, I'm usually the best rhythm guitar player in the band.

I think Leo would have gone back to using the low impedance pickups, ala the Music Man Sabre. With the issues of noise, long signal chains with multi-effects, and the players' penchants for changing pickups--I could see Leo embracing modeling technology to use with a set of low-noise, low-impedance pickups and a sophisticated on-board buffered preamp allowing the player to tweak the output and tonal parameters of each pickup. Want single coil tones? Want classic PAF tones? Plug your guitar into your computer, set the parameters and switch between one of say, five settings loaded on your guitar for each pickup. Sort of like, the Seymour Duncan catalog meets the Roland VG-88.

Perhaps not that far off.

John Browing's designs are proven winners; battle tested. But, Gaston Glock's little plastic pistols dominate the US law enforcement market, with 70% of law enforcement departments choosing Glock. The Glock is a very accurate, easy shooting, and durable pistol right out of the box--at about 1/3 the cost of an accurized, modernized custom 1911. As much as I love shooting a 1911, when the caca hits the fan, and the armorer throws 30 different guns on the table to go to battle with, I'm choosing the Glock--every time.

Bill

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:23 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:John Browing's designs are proven winners; battle tested. But, Gaston Glock's little plastic pistols dominate the US law enforcement market, with 70% of law enforcement departments choosing Glock. The Glock is a very accurate, easy shooting, and durable pistol right out of the box--at about 1/3 the cost of an accurized, modernized custom 1911. As much as I love shooting a 1911, when the caca hits the fan, and the armorer throws 30 different guns on the table to go to battle with, I'm choosing the Glock--every time.

Give me a P-90 w/ a Desert Eagle backup... Oh, and a PTRS 41 modded to a sniper rifle.

Cheers,

Will

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:33 pm

Sometimes nothing but a good P-90 will do. I prefer Lindy's. - ed

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:37 pm

Madcity Fats wrote:Your cousin is an evil genius! I'm sure battery manufacturers everywhere would love to see that design mass produced.

He and I have "the knack"... We used to take everything apart. Made lego hovercrafts, potato guns, take a weedeater motor and put a wheel directly on the drive shaft just to see what would happen...etc....
[youtube]CmYDgncMhXw[/youtube]

The design for his machine is a design from Claude Shannon in 1952...and youtube has some really cool versions.
I really like this one...it really says "leave me alone...go away"
[youtube]x4-odpHMRHI[/youtube]

Jaystrings wrote:Can't thank you enuff for posting that youtube clip. Really enjoyed Kevin's music. Refreshing & different. I listened to some more of them Wow,

Ever since Monday, I've been looking at djembes. Not sure why. Was in GC, saw some, got to banging around on them. Have been looking for one at a good price on C/L. It appears I'm the only one around here who knows what one is; not much available. I'm sure I'll pick up one yet. Question: considering about 14" head - is bigger better?

Djembes: bigger isn't necessarily better, but just different. I think mine is the 14" circle series....cost about $225ish. The cool thing about mountain rythym djembes is that they are tunable with a simple twist mechanism and they have a real goatskin head. I played the Remo djembe for a while, but I didn't like the feel or sound.
http://www.mountainrythym.com/home/drums/djembes.asp

Kevin Gordon is now in Nashville...I've seen him live....too cool. I forget what year that old Gibson he plays. Here's his website to hear more tunes and to purchase music...
http://kg.kevingordon.net/

Oh...by the way Jay...he'll be in your backyard on Feb 17th at MUSIC ON MAXWELL 146 Maxwell Avenue, Greenwood, SC.

zapcosongs wrote:Sometimes nothing but a good P-90 will do. I prefer Lindy's. - ed

wokka wokka wokka!