Tuesday Lunch Report

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:40 am

Oh I believe in yesterday
Thanks for the replies y'all. It's good to be back on the board. Y'all are starting to make me have GAS! I've seriously been a very busy boy...and I don't play my guitars at all. I play bass at church and that's pretty much my only opportunity to play during the week. For those of you don't know...I'm married to Shannon (nearly 12 years now)...she's an exTaeKwonDo/Nationally Ranked College Debater/exRollerGirl/from the westbank of New Orleans. She is the driving force in our household, but she has a softspot for this engineer guy...which I haven't quite figured out why....but I'm digging it. Then there's Cecelia, my 7-almost-8 year-old daughter. She's halfway done with 2nd grade and is a budding artist and soccer goalie. She loves Michael Jackson's music...and has memorized almost all of his songs. I think she's working on Elvis next. She's a chip off her mom. Finally, we have JT. He's 3 now and is growing up quick...must be all them honeybuns he eats. He is in a growth spurt I guess...ate all his mini raviolis lastnight and was still hungry...not much baby fat on him now....me...eh....not so much.

I do like to eat. Jay...when you come over here...I just might have to take you to Mama Hamil's http://www.hamils.com/....one of the world's best buffet places. It's a 2-story building with as much parking as Cowboy football stadium...and can feed 5,000 men not including the women and the children, but the food is hole-in-the-wall good. $8.95 all you can eat. The other day, one of my coworkers was there and put on his facebook that he saw Gene Simmons there. It gets so packed at 12....that you can't get in the door...better go at 11. I left my seat to get icecream onetime when it was packed....and I came back and my seat was taken.

LUNCH
Unfortunately, I can't eat at Mama Hamil's today...I'm headed over to Louisiana for work at one of our Substations. I work as a Sr. Engineer for Entergy, a large electric utility in the deep south...with some nuclear plants sprinkled around the northeast. It just so happens that I get to work with my dad today. He retired from the Substation Relay department 2 years ago after almost 35 years in the same job. Late last year...he started contracting back for the company...and seems to be loving it. More pay...same job...less responsibility and headache. So we'll probably go to the same ole watering hole just outside of the little town we'll be in. **edit Yup...got a plate lunch of fried chicken, mashed taters, and red beans and rice with a small slice of yellow cake with chocolate icing for dessert and sweet tea to warsh it down with.

G&L TOTD
I wonder whatever happened to the G&L Whipper Snapper amp that was announced last year. I saw the NAMM prototype on ebay a while back. I see GA has em. Does anyone have one? Tim?

Non G&L TOTD
What was the last Record/8-track/Cassette/CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/MP3 of music you bought? Was it any good?

I bought Dumpstaphunk's "Everybody want sum" mp3 album download. If you like the Meters and anything funky...then you'll love http://www.dumpstaphunk.com/. They have TWO Bass Players...straight up tendin to bidness. There are some really catchy tracks on there...and some cool instrumentals. I give it 4 out of 5 widgets. A Widget sounds better than a Star to an engineer.

Here's one of their new track "Greasy Groceries"...how fitting for the Lunch Report. Shrimp Po'Boys...100lbs of burled crawfish....bacon grease...
[youtube]nDp6nkPv-tw[/youtube]

And now for something completely different
I miss my 1989 Toyota 4x4 extended cab Hilux. She died one day when I was going to class. RIP One day I will find one just like her.

[youtube]xnWKz7Cthkk[/youtube]
[youtube]xTPnIpjodA8[/youtube]
[youtube]YfZDtC9kjVk[/youtube]
Last edited by Kodor on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Tuesday Lunch Report

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:53 am

I dig the Funk and Shrimp Po'Boys. I had a Po' at the State Fair and it was goooood. I'm actually still looking for a tube amp that's a<50W and the Whipper Snapper is in that category. Does it use a reverb tank? The Soldano dealer in town is taking forever to get back to me; was looking at the "44" and Astroverb. I guess they were at NAMM, so I'll be patient...

Cheers,

Will

P.S. Toyota's are tough.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:23 am

Da Bay had a Whipper Snapper listed for the longest time. Was interesting to see how the price fluctuated in an attempt to move it. Was on sale several times but nobody seemed to bite. But it did disappeared 2 days ago and was not directly relisted. However, I don't know whether it got sold or not.

The last record I bought was Bela Fleck's Music from the Acoustic Planet, Volume 3: Throw Down Your Heart, his project to search for the origins of the banjo. The album includes a DVD documenting his travels through parts of Africa, playing with local musicians, and getting schooled. Fascinating and highly recommended.

- Jos

BTW, forgot to mention yesterday but that is quite a nice JB Chris :happy0065:

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:20 am

Chris, glad to see your reports again. Yours were one of the first reports that I looked when I started watching this board and I was always admiring you pictures. They were always perfect. Is that the engineer part showing? Great JB in yesterdays report. I didn't have time yesterday as I was consumed by Jays book on GAS last night!

Retirement is great! I had carrot sticks and celery with ranch dip for a mid morning. I have been consumed by guitar stuff in general since I retired a week and a half ago. The perfect relaxation and I'm so thankful that I don't have this condition "GAS" that many of you are suffering from

I haven't looked at the music clips as my internet is slow. I will get there when the time allows. Keep those young uns interested in music. It is good for the soul.
I haven't bought any CDs recently. I usually buy a song on I-Tunes now and then if I need them for a gig.

I have not seen a Whipper Snapper anywhere. I would think that American Band and Guitar would stock one as they are known for high end amps. This is not the best economy to introduce a product like that. :happy0065: Darwin

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:07 pm

On vacation over the holidays I drove 2000 miles in 2 weeks and bought 3 new cds. An etta james greatest hits, alan jackson greatest hits 2, and the only album of the trip Robert Plants 'Band of Joy'. I rarely buy mp3's, and never from itunes. It's a beautiful apple free world for me!

If I am learning a song I don't have? Youtube all the way....

My youngest brother and I are planing and warehousing parts for a tacoma to chevy conversion....We have two pretty good bodies. Broadly, we are going to put an LS series motor in one, and probably The transmission out of a tundra.

Should be fun for about 2 weeks, then misery for about 2 months to finish...

Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:10 pm

Man, I can't believe JT is 3 already. Seems like months ago you posted his pic right after birth.

I gotta stay away from restaurants like that. THEY are the reason I'm on this diet... that all you can eat stuff. Restarants like those are VERY popular around here. The 28# I'm losing now are there because of eating all I could eat over the last few years. Only 11# more to go. And I ain't gonna get that big ole belly back no mo.

I haven't bought a dvd, 8-track, cd, etc in so long I honestly can't remember what it was. The last cd was a 4-cd box set by Vince Gill several years ago. Great songs. He took acouple years off & just wrote songs. The box set had all 40+ songs.

Good LR's this week.

Jay

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:36 pm

willross wrote:I'm actually still looking for a tube amp that's a<50W and the Whipper Snapper is in that category. Does it use a reverb tank?

Have you ever tried a Peavey Classic 30? It has el-reverbo. It's bigger brother, the Delta Blues (my main amp), has the same circuit 'cept it adds tremolo and either a 15" speaker or 2 10"s....both made right here in Mississippi.

yowhatsshakin wrote:BTW, forgot to mention yesterday but that is quite a nice JB Chris :happy0065:

Thanks...it was love at first sight...I had a American Fender JB and the original owner had 1st dibs...so I took that money and a little more and got the JB. It's still the only JB in the G&L Registry. Does that make it a rarebird? :think:

darwinohm wrote:Chris, glad to see your reports again. Yours were one of the first reports that I looked when I started watching this board and I was always admiring you pictures. They were always perfect. Is that the engineer part showing? Great JB in yesterdays report. I didn't have time yesterday as I was consumed by Jays book on GAS last night!

Retirement is great! I had carrot sticks and celery with ranch dip for a mid morning. I have been consumed by guitar stuff in general since I retired a week and a half ago. The perfect relaxation and I'm so thankful that I don't have this condition "GAS" that many of you are suffering from

Well congrats on retirement! :happy0065: I'll probably end up retiring in 2045 or something...coughcough...unless the gov't raises retirement age to like 85 or something. My dad retired, but he just contracted back to our company....less headaches for him...works when he wants....double dips...and he's spending my inheritance on my children.

I'll have to find some new pics to post. I like photography when I have the chance.

sickbutnottired wrote:On vacation over the holidays I drove 2000 miles in 2 weeks and bought 3 new cds. An etta james greatest hits...

...nuff said...
[youtube]pyMd19sE6U4[/youtube]

Jaystrings wrote:I gotta stay away from restaurants like that. THEY are the reason I'm on this diet... that all you can eat stuff. Restarants like those are VERY popular around here. The 28# I'm losing now are there because of eating all I could eat over the last few years. Only 11# more to go. And I ain't gonna get that big ole belly back no mo.

I haven't bought a dvd, 8-track, cd, etc in so long I honestly can't remember what it was. The last cd was a 4-cd box set by Vince Gill several years ago. Great songs. He took acouple years off & just wrote songs. The box set had all 40+ songs.

Wow Jay...that's awesome! It sounds like you've set a reasonable goal...which is key to your motivation. Truthfully, I'm having to watch what I eat too....especially when I go out of town and eat out all the time.

That Vince Gill is something else. He makes me want to throw rocks at my guitar sometimes.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:24 am

Chris - I've posted that Etta/Dr. John clip here myself before. I NEVER get tired of it. It's one of the best performances ever recorded, I have to get hold of that DVD (BB King and Friends, I think...?). They all probably went to Mama Hamils after the gig....

I'm keen on hearing a report about that Whipper Snapper. And the stomp boxes for that matter.

The last CD I bought was Bill Frisell's "Lookout For Hope". I've been very busy learning songs for the band and haven't really had much of a chance to put the cans on and just listen to it - it's the sort of music that rewards attention otherwise is lost in the background.