Humpday LR

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:52 am

Sun is shining in the South & roads are becoming passable again. Since I've chosen to live in the woods, it's gonna take me longer than most folks around these parts, even though I didn't get as much snow because of the lake. Still pretty around my house. Schools will start back tomorrow. This seclusion has caused me to sleep in the last 2 days - something I rarely do.

LUNCH: Gonna pull this from my diet - eggplant parmesian, plain yogurt sweetened with Truvia, a big ole California naval orange, & green tea. Looking forward to this tasty meal. Quite filling, too.

BOOK WINNER: Totally enjoyed the responses yesterday, & the pics that were posted. Tougher decision, but yowhatsshakin gets the edge with his response. Man, I've been there. And ole Tim Page's response actually captures a very REAL piece of humanity - the early warning signs of the depth & breadth of the influences of the guitar gods & bands we've experienced. So, yowhatsshakin there in Seattle, send me yo mailing address (jaystrings@aol.com), & I'll get a book headed to Seattle as soon as the roads allow.

Special thanks to all those who are chasing the weekly prize of a G&L gig bag & also posting their answers on http://www.gasesperiences.blogspot.com. I'll give everyone until noon EST Saturday to do that. Best overall response(s) for the week by someone lands them what I consider to be THE nicest gig bag you can own.

I had a flashback when seeing Legasat's post & that awesome, awesome 86 ASAT pic again. And I finally got to see & fondle that ASAT. Still my fave photo of an ASAT. Not only do I identify with his response, I am reminded of the G&L Shindig we attended together & the great tour & jam it included. It was a time of association with SO many on this board. Here is my table at the jam.

QUESTION: Imagine there is another G&L Shindig coming. Which ONE member of this forum would you MOST look forward to meeting, hanging out with, sharing a beer with, & sharing a room with at the gathering - and WHY? Please post just ONE member & the WHY part, too.

See ya tomorrow
Jay

Re: Humpday LR

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:20 am

I'll never forget the fun of meeting so many GbL'ers, a factory tour, & hanging out with California family, the Legasats & Connor, & a Will Ray performance (& shopping trip) at Buffalo Brothers.

REPLY: If there is another opportunity, I'd want to meet & hang out with Aussie. I always enjoy his posts & I'd like to find out lots more about Perth & places to go in his downunderland when I finally DO get to go. I also enjoy cross-cultural experiences. Aussies have played a strong role in world matters - wars, movies, music, history, literature, etc - that I have much to enjoy & appreciate regarding special time with anyone from there. And based on several of his responses, I'd just like to chat, jam, take a factory tour, visit BB's, & hang with him. I did that last time with Legasat & Anglewood & I feel a bond with them that totally transcends this forum or distance. And I've been to all except one of the Michigan Jams, & it's the same with those "regulars". There are many I'd like to meet and see again, but since we're just using our imagination here, I'll imagine Aussie gets to come & we take it from there.

Jay

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:56 am

Jay, great lunch reports this week. I just read through them all because I have spent the last 2 days completing my on-snow training to be a bi-ski driver (that's a ski you sit in if you happen to not have use of your legs, not an alternative lifestyle ski.) They would not let me ride in the sit ski, because I am too fat! I am that guy! Arghh!!! I am 6' 2" and weigh about 220 (230 in ski gear) and the equipment has a 200 lb limit. I have lost about 15# sense October, so lot's of forward progress, but I made the director of the program promise to let me go out in the mono-ski if I get to 210 by the end of the program (So I have nine weeks.)

I maybe kinda tubby, but out of 30 rookie volunteers, they only found about 5 of us that developed the skills during the on-snow workshop to run our own team, so I am proud of that. But, alas, it's back to the dreaded no booze and desert diet for me! And great work and good luck on your efforts.

I'll take a stab at the GAS question on your blog. That sounds like a cool project.

Who would I like to meet? Hmm. Just one you say? I am strangely uncomfortable with the question, but here goes...Blarg, RickT, and Bassman all seem to take a similar approach to their music life as I am attempting. So I am going to go that route, try to find people that know a more than I about what musical paths I am attempting to follow.

Flip Coin.
Flip Coin.
Flip Coin.

BassMan wins, the coins say. He always has something brief and helpful to say here on the GLDP. He talked me down off the ledge about my amplifiers a few weeks back when I was on LR detail. And there are, to quote Albert King in a discussion with SRV 'There's lot's of guitar players out there, they just play. They play fast, they don't concentrate on no soul'. But a quality and reliable Bassman? Hens' teeth my friends, hens' teeth!

Edit: RickT and Blarg, my Albert quote has nothing to do with your playing, that you have both shared with us. Just an attempt at humor--and maybe a little back handed poke at some guys I have played with in the past (that I am sure are not around on here). I like both your guy's picking a lot!

Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:49 pm

That is a tough question Jay! If forced to pick just one I'd like to meet DaveP. There seem to be similar musical interests (we both use homemade 115 extension cabinets, for a start) and his lunch reports about the food in Rhode Island had my mouth watering.

It'd be cool to attend a G&L jam, do they happen very often?

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:26 pm

I would love to meeet anybody on this board, but if Ihad to pick one, it would be you Jay.

I have always wondered how your had the idea to write a book on G.A.S.
back when I was just trying to hide my affliction from my wife?!

I have been limited in my computer access, and therefor my LR contributions, because my wife is using the house PC as she recovers from shoulder surgury. She is basically on it all of the time.

I am trying to define what I have learned about my gas over the past 5 years?

I am still very impulsive in my buying. I always have been. I also have bought a number of low end basses just to have fun working on them and improving them as instruments. I don't see many G&L basses for sale anywhere. I am not counting online sources because I like to play a bass before I buy it.

I did buy a Tribute G&L bass via Craigslist and I am very happy with it.

I am also trying to find gigs for my band and learn a new job at work.

Great week- I am going to try to do more participating on LRs.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:51 pm

If the jam were in the northeast it would be Slick, south east it would be cajun boy, mid west gotta be Gabe but I doubt I'd have any time to jam because I'd be pounding him with questions, left coast definatly G dub, how could you resist a guy wearing a skirt! north west it would be Andy and Spot.

gary

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:10 pm

Well' first off I'll say sorry for not checking in till today, been kinda busy at the store. I am not what you call a regular here anymore, so I'm not sure if any of the folks Im going to mention are still here. I've met quite a few already either at the MI Jams or at your house Jay, It was a real treat the last time I was down 2 years ago to Jam with you and Rick T. Loved all the MI Jams with Emmitt, Ches, Ohio Kev, Darkhorse, Milo, Boogie Phil, GG Jaguar, Firebill and a slew of others. If I was able too meet anyone that I haven't met, I'm not sure I could narrow it down to just one, so I'll give you my top 5. Gabe (GPD) for sure, His knowledge amazes me. Josey Wales, how one man can have so many Rare G&L's is beyond me. Cajun Boy, love his wit. GW, although we RARELY agree on anything, I would still love to sit down and have a conversation with him. West Side Duck, I've always thought he was a cool down to earth guy and we are both from Western NY. Well thats 5 but, gotta ad one more. I would love to meet Tim Paige, I've always wanted to get out to BB and meet him.. So theres my top 5+1 in no particular order.......

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:54 pm

Nice week you have going, Jay. I'm checking in mostly to apologize for not being around more the past few weeks. Just moved my folks up from Florida, and frankly, they're not doing so well. In short, I've been very busy helping them get settled and comfortable.

Regarding today's question, it really is impossible for me to narrow down to one individual, so there goes my prize. Anyhow, as I think I mentioned earlier, I've had the pleasure of meeting Zombywoof and Bassman already. Not only are they both great guys, but they are also two of the finest gents I've ever had the pleasure of spending some time with. I don't generally believe in coincidences, so I guess there's something special about fellow G&L enthusiasts....

Regarding those I'd really love to meet, there are quite a few. I will say first that I'd love to get together with all of our resident Aussies. As a group, they really have come to bring a bunch to this board and I am really grateful for their participation. They all seem to be personable, knowledgeable, funny and likely great fun to party with. Among other members I'd really like to meet (and I'm sure I'm leaving many out) are: JimP, Elwood, gw, sam, Kit, RickT, willross and a number of the MI Jam crew. Cajun Boy is also high on the list. Not only do we have G&L in common, but we appreciate many of the same sports, including and especially, fishing. We're also raising some interesting boys, like to cook and drink, and share appreciation for, uh, uh... Where is my map of Tasmania when I need it!??? - ed

Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Left at least a couple out among those I'd really appreciate meeting: y2kc, Spot, BoogieBill and jonc. And the other ones (Sprinter, Tim....) - ed

Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:33 pm

Jaystrings wrote:Which ONE member of this forum would you MOST look forward to meeting, hanging out with, sharing a beer with, & sharing a room with at the gathering - and WHY?

Among the many fine candidates, which I'll omit for fear of leaving somebody out, I pick darwinohm. Just curious about the man given my perception we have quite some things i common.

- Jos

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:19 pm

Jaystrings wrote:REPLY: If there is another opportunity, I'd want to meet & hang out with Aussie. I always enjoy his posts & I'd like to find out lots more about Perth & places to go in his downunderland when I finally DO get to go.

Well, umm honoured as I am - that was totally unexpected, particularly as I generally try to keep a low profile and haven’t actually been around much over the last year or so while dealing with various family issues. And thanks to Ed for the nod towards the great southern land as well.

Hopefully 2011 will deliver my family a better year and I can find time to get back to playing guitar and being more active on some of the guitar and video production forums where I am a member .… but we’re not there yet and spare time remains a rare commodity. Although my circumstances are different, I can certainly empathise with you Ed.

Sorry Jay but I couldn’t possibly pick one name. In all my time reading this board I couldn’t think of anyone that I wouldn’t be able to find some common ground with – even beyond G&L Guitars.

Certainly all of the G&LDPers that I’ve had an opportunity to interact with on other forums as well as this one - both in the past and more recently - would be high on the list (you know who you are folks).

Also, as I’m a moderator on a couple of forums (albeit currently on leave of absence), and given the similarity of our current circumstances, sharing a drink of choice with Craig would be time well spent too.

Cheers, Robbie

PS for those who don’t win a book this week, consider buying a copy – not only because it’s a good read at a good price, but because what Jay hasn’t mentioned is that he directs the proceeds to a worthy cause.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:35 am

That is a tough question Jay! If forced to pick just one I'd like to meet DaveP. There seem to be similar musical interests (we both use homemade 115 extension cabinets, for a start) and his lunch reports about the food in Rhode Island had my mouth watering.

Thanks Jamie! I was thinking the same thing! We seem to share a lot of common interests, I would love to make it down to Australia one of these days, despite all your venomous creatures :lol:
And if you happen to make it up to RI be sure to drop me a line!

-Dave

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:50 am

I have a tough time picking one.
Jay, you would be on the list as well as Emmitt,Boogie Bill,Cajun Boy,Craig, Brad,Phil,and i could go on and on.
A reunion jam would be cool.Go back to the beginning and send invites to all the old gang, and then blend in the new arrivals and I think you would have a real revival of the GbL DP for sure!
Lets do it!
Cheers!
Vinnyk