Tostito BCS Tuesday

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:10 am

Pardon my shamelessness, but.......

WAR EAGLE!!!!! What a game. My daughter is an Auburn grad & was at the game. Her daughter [my granddaughter] just won an academic scholarship to Auburn this Fall. We've become big fans. But the Ducks played them SO tough all the way to the final seconds.

Here in the woods, WE GOT SLAMMED WITH SNOW, BUT ALL IS WELL. Biggest in 20 years, but kinda mild compared to some states in the northern half of our country.

Lunch - gonna do a leftover chicken stirfry, some fruit, keifer, & green tea. The diet continues to work & is a piece of cake [that's just an expression, unfortunately]. I'll soon be able to enjoy my all-time fave dessert: cocoanut cake. My over-enjoyment of cake is partly the reason for the diet. There was some interest in my diet, just google 17 day diet.

Totally enjoyed the answers to yesterday's question. Am pickin' the one from Darwinohm as my fave. Loved the part about if he knew 5 years ago what he knows now he would have bought more guitars & possibly more red ones. So, Darwin, send me your mailing address & I'll get a copy of G.A.S. out to you. Send to http://www.jaystrings@aol.com. Oh, by the way, you can forget that you are not a GASaholic - based strickly on your answer, I can safely diagnose you as a Stage 4. You're not Stage 5 [chronic] yet, but you are headed in that direction like snowbirds headed south. You NEED this book.

Also, remember to post your answers to the same questions this week on the 2011 blogposts on http://www.gasexperiences.blogspot.com . The individual with the best overalll responses posted there this week to my 2011 questions will be sent a G&L deluxe gig bag. (read rules on Monday LR post)

Speaking of G.A.S., I'm very much trying to add to the body of research on this world-wide condition. The more I dig into it, the more I believe some of the early warning signs are possibly associated with a life reference of "scarcity vs.abundance" or "deficit vs. surplus". As a long-suffering GASaholic, I must say that my attacks are associated with [real or imagined] thoughts of how I CAN have this thing more so than how I CAN'T AFFORD IT or why I SHOULDN'T have it. And judging from the hundreds of responses of other GASaholics, we tend to hold this in common. Our resources available somehow always seem to be possible and adequate for us to proceed with the acquisition. Like, it will all work out; the end justify the means, blinders on, etc. GASaholics somehow find a way. It has little to do with rational thinking.

QUESTION: What is your theory on the early warning signs of GAS problems? (please post pics to help make your case)

Here's my pic. Who could possibly walk away from this? Who couldn't find SOME way to own it?

See ya tomorrow

Jay

Re: Tostito BCS Tuesday

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:44 am

This guitar gave me my first MAJOR gas attack, it happened many moons ago when Brad Traweek had a major sell off of some of his collection, I have to blame Gabe for this one as he was always talking up this model as the best G&L ever! Brad wanted $1500.00 for this one and I had about $500.00 in my guitar account so I had to borrow $1000.00 from a friend to make the deal. At that time it killed me to spend that much money on any guitar, F-100's were going for about $350.00, SC's at $400.00 and nice ASAT's and 500's at around 5 bills, so to me it was crazy to spend that much money on any G&L. Now looking back I wish I would have taken out a loan to buy more of Brads collection, he had some beauties! Now go forward in time about 6 or 7 years and I have to actually thank Gabe as I sold this 200 for 6K It was a very nice guitar but I just didn't care for the short scale, I couldn't get used to it but it sounded killer, I was only able to part with it when I picked up an 82 S-500 which fit me like a glove and sounded just as good as the 200 to me. This was my worst gas attack ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:45 am

Your G200 pic is causing more than just GAS; it's causing a GAS Heart attack!!!

Early symptoms for me have always been when I can see me playing it in my minds eye. Then I know there is "something" about this particular guitar or bass.

Be careful in the snow & ice. I'll be nice and not tell you about the weather out here ;-)

Here a couple of pics that always increased my heart rate:

My Asat (photo by JByrd)

Our Webmasters BLack Knights

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:44 pm

Something strange is going on with the weather this year - you guys are copping a lot of snow and we have serious flooding in numerous parts of the country. It's raining here and has been for nearly three days. It's humid as tropical hell.

I get GAS whenever I see one of these

I love the look of a Les Paul shape, in gold, with P90s. The one in the pic is a Gibson, but I'd much prefer a Heritage, I just couldn't find a good picture of one. Unfortunately for me they are waaaaaaay out of my price range. I started GASing for one of these when I was 16. I played an Epiphone version in a shop and it felt soooo right, I foolishly didn't buy that one and ended up with a different guitar.

I limit my gear purchases to money earned at gigs. It's a good way to keep unnecessary splurging under control. Fortunately I've had a few great paying gigs recently and have made enough to have got the amp I mentioned yesterday, a new compressor pedal, and the parts for a parts-a-caster which I'm assembling this week. I should have spent the money on my car's registration, but to hell with that!

Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:27 pm

Early signs of G.A.S.:
As a fourteen year old get a catalog with mainly Fender (and/or FMIC related) entries and getting a piece of paper out to calculate how much it would set you back to buy a drum kit, a bass, some guitars, microphones, PA, tape echo, etc. That's what happened to me. I was playing in a high-school band and dreaming of getting some good equipment. In retrospect, it being the '70's, it might just have been better equipment, but nevertheless... I was already computing then how many hours I would have to work to buy the whole shebang. If I think hard enough, I'm still able to remember the original number in Dutch guilders, about 6 grand. I have always dreamt of getting lots of equipment in general. It just took a while to get to that point that I could afford it. And, as stated in my response yesterday, the only thing that is different is the focus on a particular brand and guitar model. But I still once in a while dream of getting me that maple Pearl drum kit with Zildjian hand-hammered cymbals ...

- Jos

Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:47 pm

Gas starts the second I think 'oooh, I could do something neat with that'. Recently it is minimal, a few pedals I would like and a 7 string.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:19 am

QUESTION: What is your theory on the early warning signs of GAS problems? (please post pics to help make your case)

It's primal. It's the same reason a crow picks up a piece of foil and carries it off to it's nest. Only with people it's a more highly developed and complex urge. The early warning signs? When you desire it but there is no "real" rational reason to get it. When you start the rationalize, you're gased!

Sorry no pic. I'm having trouble accessing photobucket. Any one know why?

Tom

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:43 am

Weird year for weather throughout the country.

I don’t get guitar GAS much these days, it’s more about pedals and amps lately. I guess the symptom that lets me know I officially have GAS for a piece of music equipment is when I’m looking around the Lab trying to figure out what gear I’d sell to acquire the new one.

Have to admit, I was eyeballing this pretty closely…..

[url]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 97.c0.m619
[/url]