Lunch Report for Friday 1-7-11 - open mic

Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:25 am

All,

Jamie_D has a family member in hospital for emergency surgery and asked me
to post an Open Mic for today.

Our prayers and thoughts go out to him and his family.

Re: Lunch Report for Friday 1-7-11 - open mic

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:40 am

Prayers & thoughts to Jamie's family. Jamie's a good guy. As a result of membership on this board, we have met, jammed, attended guitar shows, & even traded a bit together.

So, my question -

Who on this board have you met in person?

I've had the good fortune to meet Griff, Ches, Craig, Darth Invader, Guitar Ed, Tim Page, Milo, Emmitt, Blackie, Ohio Kevin, Slick, Spiderfingers, Anglewood, Legasat, and oh, the list goes on and on..... If I don't stop, I'll forget someone.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:01 pm

I'll second that. I haven't officially met anyone on here, but have conversed with a few and worked with "Thumbs" on my S-500. Hopefully, this year will be different.

My question: Favorite combo amp (tube/SS) with your G&L?

Right now I have no combos; just two acoustic amps(Crate Gunnison, first issue & Carvin AG-100D). However I just ordered a Soldano Astroverb 16 2x12 exactly like this one:

It was a toss-up between a Swart AST and this one. I've had good luck with the Decatone, so...

Cheers,

Will
Last edited by willross on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:08 pm

First all the best to Jamie and his family. I hope the operation will go well. Bit of a weird morning. Just got back from a couple of days at the Washington Coast with my wife and visiting niece, where we got thoroughly soaked. And then there are 2 medical emergencies mentioned on the forum.

Although I have e-mailed, bought, and traded with a fair number of members, notably Griff, JoseyWales, y2kc, TomG, Thumbs, Felix, Burnt 999, and of course Tim Page. But I never had the opportunity to meet anybody in person. 'Never had the opportunity' is maybe slight misrepresentation. It would be easy enough to hook up at one of the guitar trade shows, jams, etc. but I never found the time to attend any of them. There are a fair number of members here in the Seattle area so who knows.

And thanks for picking up the LR Jay!

- Jos

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:15 pm

I haven't met anyone, yet. It might be a little tough unless I really start to travel for work again. I wonder how many G&L owners there are in MT? No idea. I have only actually scene (allright, i feel like this isn't the right 'scene' but I can't for the life of me remember what is) one other, a guy had a nice ASAT classic for sale. I took my deluxe reverb over and checked it out; and then talked him out of selling it.

But hey, if anyone does come through, hit me up! For a Jam or directions or whatever....

Cheers, jg

Edit: Hang tough Jamie, hope the procedure is successful and as easy as possible! Also, I am not that superstitous, but I have heard trouble comes in three's. So take care everyone, just in case.
Last edited by sickbutnottired on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:18 pm

My thoughts are with Jamie and Craig.

I've met Paul Piche and BoogieBill, who both reside in the Portland area, and both are nice and interesting. Unfortunately we seemed to have lost them both in the board migration. Although I have not met with any other board members I have communicated with several of them over the years.

Kit

Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:39 pm

My question: Favorite combo amp (tube/SS) with your G&L?

I like many amps with my G&Ls, but it's just hard to find anything sweeter than on a Fender DR.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:18 pm

I agree, jay. The DR is great. I have been playing them forever. I especially have mine dialed in with my F-100. The ASAT Deluxe I bought this year is amazing through it. I don't have quite as good a handle my Classic sound. Not bad, but not what I think it could be.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:36 pm

Sending good vibes in Jamie's direction.

Jaystrings wrote:My question: Favorite combo amp (tube/SS) with your G&L?

I like many amps with my G&Ls, but it's just hard to find anything sweeter than on a Fender DR.

My tweed deluxe clone is very nice, I haven't tried a G&L through a DR yet. I just got my SS amp in over 10 years yesterday, a ZT Club, which is my favourite SS amp with a G&L.

I haven't met any board members personally yet. If anyone is holidaying in Melbourne be sure to drop me a line :)

Will - I love the look of that Soldano. Very cool :thumbup:

Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:25 pm

Hoping for the best for Jamie and his family.

I've met Zombywoof several times at our favorite G&L dealer in Topeka, KS. Zombywoof, is a great guy and a lot fun to hang out with!

I play my G&L's through three different amps. They are: '56 Fender Princeton, '71 Fender Princeton Reverb and a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15". The OEM 10" speaker in the '71 PR is a bit weak & tired so I run it through a Bogner, Duende/Metropolis 1x12" cabinet. The '56 Princeton doesn't like pedals or high output pickups. The Peavey DB is a lot of fun and the 15" speaker gives a huge tone. I like the Peavey so well that I'm hoping to add the 2x10" version to the collection one of these days too.

Sprinter 92

Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Best Wishes to Jamie and family.

Haven't met up with any of the board members in person. The only other Aus members I'm aware of were Paul and Chrissie on the old board and Jamie (Blarg), Phil (Philly) and Tom (offPlanet) here on v2.0 ,,, and all of these guys and girl are at least a 4 hour commercial jet flight away from Perth. Although you never know ... I may have crossed paths with Jamie at a Zydecats gig somewhere in the past :-).

cheers, Robbie

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:05 pm

Robbie - You don't happen to have played in a reggae band with an ASAT Special deluxe do you?

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:18 pm

My prayers and best wishes go out to all who can use them. Certainly can't hurt....

I've had the distinct pleasure of meeting both Zombywoof and Bassman. I try to attend Bassman's gigs with some regularity. Unfortunately, Zw has moved to the Great Plains, but we remain regular correspondents. I look forward to seeing him and his lovely family again before too long.... My oldest boy and his daughter have a long-distance thing going on. I'm interviewing caterers and have been for a couple of years now....

Combo amps? I only own combos. Thanks to our JonC, I'm really enjoying my '66 Fender Vibro Champ and my rare and cool '64 Vox AC4.
When I want to blow the windows out, I turn to my trusty Fender Super 60. Channel 2 on that thing moves me - and plenty of air.

Thanks guys for stepping up. I needed a lift today. - ed

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:34 pm

zapcosongs wrote:I've had the distinct pleasure of meeting both Zombywoof and Bassman. I try to attend Bassman's gigs with some regularity. Unfortunately, Zw has moved to the Great Plains, but we remain regular correspondents.

Ed, you need to come out to the plains and visit. Zombywoof, and I can take you on a tour of the Flint Hills region of Kansas. It's beautiful country! Also everyone needs to experience Kansas Guitar Exchange in Topeka.

Sprinter 92

Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:37 am

Best wishes and Godspeed for Jamie and his family.

My apologies for being out all week. No point in making excuses. :roll:

Interesting questions all week. As for meeting members of the forum, well I'm still very new here, but I'm starting to see people mention Lafayette, LA which is also where I live. George(4th) has been my friend for longer than I can remember so I can't count him as someone I met through or because of the forum. However, there are many, many people that I look forward to learning from one day - either in person or via this electronic world or ours. :)

Phillip

Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:16 am

Hope everything is ok, Jamie. Best wishes to your relative for a full recovery.

Who on this board have you met in person?
Like Jay, I've met a bunch of people on this forum, but most are AWOL now (me included). I met most through the Michigan G&L Jam, and also had the privilege to meet Will Ray when he came into town to do a clinic. We've had seven Michigan Jam's now, and I've met guys from New York, PA, the Carolinas, Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois, Florida, and as far away as England. Here's a shot from the first year . . .

Got a bit bigger the second year:

Not sure what year this is, but this is the group who stuck around Sunday morning for breakfast. Had to make a play off Cajun Boy's piss pants joke from a few years before:

We've had a great time at these jams, and I've met a lot of really nice people due to this board.

Where's just-a-guy? He got the whole G&L jam thing started 10+ years ago in TX. They used to get a pretty large contingent to those jams.

Favorite combo amp (tube/SS) with your G&L?

I'll agree with Jay that it's tough to beat the sound of one of Leo's creations through a Deluxe Reverb. I used to have one, but Jay's playing it now! My favorite amp at the moment is a Top Hat Super Club Deluxe. Very versatile amp that can take 6V6's, 6L6's, or EL34's without having to bias. Fits in well with the stuff we're playing now.
Last edited by Ches on Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:28 am

Yeah, my G&L experiences have only been through heads/cabs. I'll have to lug a guitar over to American Guitar & Band to check a few out (they actually have a pile of them, incl. DR's, Princeton's, etc.). A lot of positive talk around Swart, but I went Soldano from past experience and a good review w/ an ASAT. The speaker configuration is nice too and will be good for studio work.

Cheers,

Will

Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:04 pm

Sprinter 92 wrote:
zapcosongs wrote:I've had the distinct pleasure of meeting both Zombywoof and Bassman. I try to attend Bassman's gigs with some regularity. Unfortunately, Zw has moved to the Great Plains, but we remain regular correspondents.

Ed, you need to come out to the plains and visit. Zombywoof, and I can take you on a tour of the Flint Hills region of Kansas. It's beautiful country! Also everyone needs to experience Kansas Guitar Exchange in Topeka.

Sprinter 92

Ha! I don't know whether or not my marriage can survive the Kansas Guitar Exchange, but I certainly look forward to meeting you, seeing ZW again, and exploring your beautiful corner of the universe. Appreciate the invite! - ed

Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:03 pm

Thoughts and prayers with Jaime and Craig as well.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Burnt999, repoman, Darth Invader and have communication with Woodfixer, BoogieBill, Jay, zapcosongs and others along the way. Would certainly like to broaden my horizens and meet others who I share this G&L afflication with. :D

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:16 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:Robbie - You don't happen to have played in a reggae band with an ASAT Special deluxe do you?

Certainly played the odd reggae song or two over the years but nope, never been in a reggae band and never seen an ASAT up close and personal. Not sure who you are thinking of - Raggabeats? Grace Barbie? Don't remember seeing either with a G&L tho. Cheers, Robbie

Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:35 am

Thanks for y'all's concern.

Thing's are going as well as can be expected.

jamie