Merry Christmas Eve lunch report

Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:30 am

Merry Christmas to everyone! I hope all have a safe and happy holiday.

I have tons of last minute stuff to do today before going to mom's for dinner with the family, we do the whole family thing today, aunts uncles cousins etc. etc. so on Christmas everyone can stay home and enjoy time with thier own little family group. So the lunch report will be short and sweet today.

So, what are your plans for the holidays?
Post up some pics, I like to see how others around the country and the world celibrate Christmas.

Here are a few pics of our humble abode past and present

MERRY CHRISTMAS
gary

Re: Merry Christmas Eve lunch report

Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:14 am

My original Christmas plans were to go to Iowa and visit my Grandmothers. The roads aren't the best due to snow and I have a sick cat. I'll be spending Christmas taking care of the cat.

I don't decorate for Christmas.

Since I don't have any Christmas pictures I post another gear-head picture!

The driver is Billy Alley and the track is I-80 Speedway in Greenwood, Nebraska.

Nice job this week, Gary!

Sprinter 92

Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:19 am

My wife and I plan to stay over at some friends. For us Dutchies in the US, there is the ever present conflict of gift exchange for St. Nicolas and/or X-mas. This year we did it on St. Nicolas eve (December 5th). For tomorrow, we bought some present for our friends kids and have a 'White Elephant' for the adults. Last year was great fun doing that and I hope we'll be able to repeat it. And a great way to rid your drawers of some tchotchkes and have a good laugh. But otherwise X-mas is usually very low key in our household. Most important aspect seems to be to get together with loved ones, which with our families living overseas means friends, and having good conversations over good food and libations.

Merry Christmas to everybody on the board. Enjoy your time off. :cheers:

- Jos

Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:41 am

Well, after sleeping until 11:30 until the phone rang (I said I was going to rest after the crazy week at work, but I didn't expect this), I'm letting the house warm up enough to get dressed and finish the Christmas shopping - yeah, I know.

Jos, believe it or not, I not only know what "tchotchkes" means, but I can pronounce it as well. In the Russian alphabet that word is only 4 letters long. :)

Once the caffeine kicks in, I'll play my S-500 for a while to "get happy" and then go in search of the final Christmas present for my friend who either has or buys anything he wants. How hard is that to try to get a gift for? He's the one that called me this morning to tell me his new guitar for his collection is strat-style Melancon (made not far from where I live south Louisiana). It's his new favorite guitar - this week, maybe month.

I keep seeing all those pictures with snow, mountains of snow in the background and I miss it terribly...I was always like a kid every time it snowed in Moscow, even when there was already six feet on the ground. It used to amuse and then annoy the local Russians. ;)

Merry Christmas to everyone (or at least enjoy the time off).

Phillip

(I also didn't get to chime in on yesterday's report. A new guitar is nice (tried it once), but nothing beats a guitar owned by somebody who knew their way around it. My S-500 was owned by a jazz player and he had it set up very differently than I do now, but after a couple of months, I get withdrawals if I have to wait longer than a few days to get it back from my guitar tech. Like someone already said, a personal bond is formed with some guitars and not others. My vintage Frankenstrat is still a joy to play, but my 3-bolt S-500 is my guitar of choice. I wouldn't/couldn't own more than say three guitars because of the division of attention that would have to happen.

Oh, whoever made the jambalaya knew what they were doing - right down to the choice of seasoning mix (the only "mistake" to a traditionalist Cajun was the use of Uncle Ben's - big no-no :o ). So many people who try to make it without the proper equipment, patience and experience end up with a dry, nasty tasting overcooked mess. Shrimp and tasso is my personal favorite way to make it - and don't forget the parsley and green onions at the end.)

Phillip
Last edited by de Valcourt on Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:02 pm

Fun report this week Gary, great pics and stories as well.

The house will be filled with my wife and my parents and my brother, should be fun. Two of my kids are singing in a play during one of the services at our church tonight, then off to wait for Santa.

Atlanta area is expecting a white Christmas tommorrow, first since 1882 according to the news. Having lived in the snowbelt midwest, this isn't real snow, since it will melt off by 1pm probably, but the kids will dig it.

Did not get to post yesterday so will add my .02. I usually go for used due to price and can find Leo era guitars that way. Leo era are my first choice but have a ASAT Z3 SH that I think is an unbelievable guitar. Leo knew what to do with p-ups for sure.

To all, enjoy a safe, Merry Christmas and happy holidays. :banana:

Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:17 pm

Just to clarify my post, the Z3 is a BBE era guitar.

Sweet sounding guitar and the 12" radius neck can handle all the bends anyone can throw at it. :thumbup:

Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:40 am

Its the end of a great Christmas day here in AUS - the first time we've had the whole familiy together in the same part of the country for nearly 20 years.

Temperature was 40C (104F) and we spent most of the day on Cottesloe Beach swimming, playing beach cricket and enjoying a picnic lunch with our parents, siblings and kids. You're stock standard Christmas day really :-)

Best wishes to all.

cheers, Robbie