Thursday lunch report

Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:25 am

Thanks for the great pics yesterday!

Sprinter, I know I can always count on you for some good motorhead pics, I see you have two Artic Cat's now, I need to get me another 4 wheeler, it would be nice to have another for when friends stop by, it's awfull boring to ride by yourself.

Sam, I bought the Interceptor years ago from an old time collector in the midwest, Joe Mass, Joe has been around since the inception of the old board but never posted much, I try to keep in contact with a few of the old time collectors, the Interceptor was NOS MINT when I bought it.

Lunch today will be some leftovers, A melt in your mouth tasty pork roast sandwich with hot gravey.

As you can probably tell by my pics from yesterday I'm a die hard Leo era guy, I've owned some BBE Guitars but could never quite bond with them, I do have a few I've kept but they were built within a couple of years of the BBE takeover and were basicly the same as the pre BBE guitars as nothing much changed in the first few years, so If it ain't got three bolts it ain't for me. Don't get me wrong, BBE is putting out some great quality guitars I just like mine mojo'ed up some.

What's your pleasure, The new car smell and feel or the mojo you get from a Leo guitar with it's aged woods and finish?

Here's a pic of my first stash of G&L's

Out of these origional six I only still have two of em, I never could bond with the Cavs, The white S-500 neck warped out on me so I parts it out, the G-200 I kept for quite a while as it was one of the best sounding guitars I ever owned but it still didn't have three pups and I don't like short scale necks so off it went. If I was a collector I'd of kept them all but I buy guitars to play, My thing was to get my hands on every Leo era model I could get and keep the ones I liked and sell off the ones I didn't, it was and still is a win win situation because I get to play a lot of very nice guitars and never lost a cent on resale.

Guitars finishes;
I love some of the old finishes G&L used, MY favorite is the see through red and the natural mahogany finishes but some of the new finishes G&L is using are outstanding, here's an example of one I really like.

Your TID BIT from the past today is a post from 09 by the Cajun Boy, you may not be aware that CB is not only known for pissing of bridges and on your tires but dude can cook and build some pretty nice guitars so here's a pic of the famous Sponge Bob double Neck G&L and a great recipe for some cajun jambalaya

How to cook a Cajun jambalaya
the Cajun Boy on January 28, 2009 at 18:32:33:

How to cook a Cajun jambalaya

Get yoself a nice black iron pot. Sugar kettles are preferred, but for smaller sizes, this 12 qt dutch oven does the trick and doubles nicely for fish fries. Its new, so the cure in it ain't as black as usual. Note the handy dandy windscreen. It was a little breezy so I needed it. Don't forget the burner, stand, and propane fuel either.

Here's the meat. Some pork (Boston Butt), Andouille, smoked sausage, and tasso

In goes the pork

Cook till browned

If ya ain't stoopid, you didn't forget to season the pork

Add the rest of the meat

Let it cook down and render some of the fat

Time for some Cajun Trinity (Onion, Bell Pepper, Celery) there's also some red bell pepper in there too

Don't look at me, toss it in the pot mutha <censored word>

Stir it up Cleetus

Cook until the veggies are wilted

Now add mushrooms, stewed tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and some secret ingredients and cook for 25 minutes. This is known as the gravy stage.

We's gettin' there boy. Jus hold on will ya? Jus two mo things.

Toss dem two tings in

Stir the rice in and mix well, bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cover.

Cook for 25 minutes, till rice is done, and shoot any assclown that even looks like they might lift the lid on the pot.

Kill the flame when your Spidey Senses tell you that the rice is done. Continue to stand by with the weapooon, and shoot any assclown that even looks like they might lift the lid.

After a half hour or a few beers, uncover and fluff. This is what you get.

That's all for today folks

gary

Re: Thursday lunch report

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:16 am

Duck, Your LR this week are fan-frickin-tastic. I have had a crazy week, so not much time to play along, and I am not much of gear picture guy. I will remedy that, though.

I am going to do the 4 way mod. I have got my eye on a couple of specials--for some reason this mod seems especially cool for a special.

New guitars vs. leo era? The only guitars I really LOVE are Leo era. By Love I mean that I have some special sentimental and emotional attachment. Mojo, if you will, or juice I like to call it. I promised myself I will never sell my first f-100 or my current (and longest in my possession) Deluxe Reverb. Otherwise gear is totally easy come, easy go with me. I am making good friends with an ASAT Deluxe '08. It is a great guitar. Exactly what I want out of solid body/humbucker setup. It's great player, and am glad I own it--but it's not quite the same.

So I guess I go both ways, new and Leo era, But the stuff I have a long relationship with is extra cool--to me--and is Leo era.

Well I am off to the in-laws for 10 days. Gotta get ski's in so I can get out the house during the day. (Look out Mt. Hood & Bachelor country-folk on their way!) Hopefully I can sneak in my Martin as well....

Wish me luck! And take care all!

By the way, I love Jambalaya.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:48 am

I'm getting more and more into that Leo era 'mojo thang'. Notwithstanding my BBE-era work-horse shown yesterday, the 3 Leo era guitars are the best sounding in my collection. And in all honesty I have to add the Trinity too as an excellent sounding 4-bolt BBE guitar. More than likely it is no coincidence that all 4 have a soft maple body. But since I collect any (predominantly T-shaped) Rarebird, Custom Creations Department created, and/or Tim Page designed guitar, each one has something going for them. May it be the appointments, color, body wood, and/or construction, etc. And they still all sound good.

And boy, that jambalaya makes me hungry ....

- Jos

Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:13 pm

Aw, I can't play today, not having much experience with the Leo era. Mine are '05 and a Tribute. :shh:

I did have a three bolt '88 ASSAT once, but I forget how it was, as anything last week is pretty much mush as far as my memory goes.

I pretty much gig 'em as tools, but I can appreciate mojo, and in years past have had lots of good guitars and some that were sought after (which i$ why they left the fold eventually). Just not much in the G&L line.

Thanks very much for the cooking lesson! Gonna have to try that out. :thumbup:

Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:08 pm

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:Nice photo ~ and the Green guitar whatever it was, was nice too! :)

Looking at your stash of G&L's ~ no ASAT's?

I saw F-100, G-200, S-500, Cavalier, all Strat style bodies.
Never ventured to the ASAT side?

Tim

I had a special and recently got a clasic, it did take me a while, check out the monday lunch report for a pic.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:44 pm

westsideduck wrote:Sprinter, I know I can always count on you for some good motorhead pics, I see you have two Artic Cat's now, I need to get me another 4 wheeler, it would be nice to have another for when friends stop by, it's awfull boring to ride by yourself.

My Dad discovered how much fun ATV's can be and sold his Harley. He was using the 650 so much that I decided to buy the 700 so I could ride too. That's why I have two Arctic Cat's.

westsideduck wrote:What's your pleasure, The new car smell and feel or the mojo you get from a Leo guitar with it's aged woods and finish?

I prefer used guitars. Used guitars always seem to sound and feel better.

Sprinter 92

Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm with Sprinter and others with respect to used guitar preference. Axes are kind of like speakers in that they open up and give their best over time. Given this tendency and the economic advantages of buying used, I've owned very, very few new guitars.

Gary, I assume CB knows he's featured today? I wish he'd get his head out of his, uh... I wish he'd stop by more often. I forgive him because he's being a good daddy and homework expert, bringing home the bacon, frying it up real good while managing some pork on the side. Heck, he's even a world-renowned bird-watcher (though I anxiously await some new sightings). Ha! - ed

btw, great array of G&L guitars past & present, and great week! (The amps are lovely too.)

Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:32 am

Great collection you have there! I prefer the Leo era guitars. There's just a cool classic look about them. And the sounds they produce are incredible in my opinion. With that being said, I also like the BBE era as well. I plan on getting a USA Rampage very soon. The Tribute Rampage (If that even counts) I currently own is a very well made guitar, so I assume the USA version will be even better.

Great Lunch reports this week!
Dave