Tuesday Lunch Report

Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:54 am

Alright, Nice start to the week. Todays lunch will be on the road, as soon as I'm finished with thodays report it's off to the mall to finish up with the Christmas shopping.

Are you like most guys who wait untill the last minute? I hate shopping so I just keep on putting it off, This year I did do some shopping on line, that helped a bit but I still have a lot to do!

Yesterdays responses showed more tele style guys then Strat so today I'll continue on the TELE theme with todays TID BIT from the past, from 2004 it's Gabe's 4 way switch mod.

: I've read here, but now can't find the thread, about a four-way switch mod for the ASAT. I assume it's Neck-Serial-Parallel-Bridge, but have no clue.

What you get is one additional connection (when using a 4-way switch)...which is the neck + the bridge pickup in series in phase (as opposed to the typical parallel in-phase connection) you get between two pickups. At this point I've lost track of all the times I've done this for myself and others...great, great, great mod.
What does the serial connection get you?...well, in simple terms it gets you the sum of the outputs of both pickups at the expense of a narrower and lower frequency response. To you ears you hear a bunch more volume, a bunch more midrange and a bit less treble content. Your amp will provide a dirtier tone for sure compared to the other three settings. It is almost like a sound from a completely different guitar...and I love it. No need to stomp on a pedal...this setting gives you a searing hot lead tone in spades...

Now, check this out...back off your tone control and it is jazzer city...very surprisingly great sounding for sure...great stuff!!!

Below is a link to a wiring diagram (not a schematic) I sketched up last year for my fellow GBL'er's. It is very basic to follow...anybody can handle this mod with great ease.

Any Canadians lurking out there?

Sports report from the frozen tundra,

Buffalo is a big time Hockey town! hell, I could skate across the Niagara river and be in Canada in no time, We held the first outdoor NHL Hockey game at Ralf Wilson Stadiam (home of the four time losing super bowl Buffalo Bills), This week players are arriving from around the world to compete in the world junior championships and next week we host the Labbat's outdoor pond hockey tounament with rinks set up on good ol frozen lake Erie. When you live in a city known for it's cold and snow you gotta make the best of it, these events bring full hotel rooms and a bustling trade for the downtown bars and resturants during a normally slow holiday season.

What's the biggest sport in your town?

And to fill G Dubs request:

Snow! hell we ain't scared of no snow...............

Re: Tuesday Lunch Report

Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:51 am

Normally I am a last minute guy but this year way ahead of the game. (only because of foot surgery last week. Off to see the doc today to unwrap my "pedal" foot and see how it's healing) One year I did every bit of shopping on line and had Christmas messages included with the packaging. Very easy but it did feel a bit sterile. With shopping crowd behavior any more I may go back to all on line shopping.

YEAH for the 4 way switch. :banana: I am another big believer in this mod. Have done it to two ASAT's and another will be done soon. The most tone for the dough anywhere. Paid approx $17 for the switch.

Biggest sports in my town? Atlanta area is having a huge sports year. Falcons are best ever, Thrashers are proving that a southern town can get a few hockey players and even the Hawks are playing respectable basketball. For what was all about Braves baseball this is a fun year to be a sports fan in Atlanta.

Great pic, always fun to see. BTW, like the tip jar on the table. That is a tip jar isn't it? :?

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:06 pm

Thanks for the 4 way mod, I have been wanting to do it over the holidays (if santa brings a 4 way switch ofcourse) and had no idea what I would need to do.

I live in Canada, hamilton, so on lake Ontario. This place is a football town, rather dull overall.

I did all my Christmas shopping in november, mostly online.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:51 pm

Awesome pic!

Thanks for the mod, I had heard of it before but your description and the diagram really make me want to try this, where do you get a brass shield plate for the control cavity? the older of my 2 asats has one in there already.

Still working on Christmas shopping, actually I just bought the first present earlier today online, so yeah, I guess you could say I wait till the last minute :lol:

Well in RI you have your pick Baseball (Red Sox), Basketball (Celtics), Football (Patriots), or Hockey(Bruins) all championship teams, hard to keep up with all this winning :mrgreen:

-Dave

Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:14 pm

That is a lovely neat wiring diagram, one of the best I've seen.

I'm a last minute xmas shopping guy. I'm down to just my mum and sister to buy for now, they're always tougher than dad, who I share a lot of common interests with.

Melbourne is a sport mad city, with Australian Rules Football as the most popular - about half of the teams in the league are based in the greater Melbourne area. I'm not a sports guy, but do enjoy the cricket and rugby union, when its on. If I lived in the USA I'd be a baseball guy, but only because you guys don't have cricket.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:25 pm

Dave_P wrote:...Well in RI you have your pick Baseball (Red Sox), Basketball (Celtics), Football (Patriots), or Hockey(Bruins) all championship teams...

Yep. Reminds me of my High School days of Boston in the sixties, when the Unicorn Coffeehouse, and Club 47, ruled.

Stanford Football is closeby, which means San Francisco and all is too. I don't go much. After the Basball strike years ago I went one more time to Candlestick Park, only to be assaulted on every side by advertisements on billboards and BigScreen (even a plane overhead towing an ad): pluis expensive lousy seats: all to watch spoiled millionaires play a game on a grassy field I used to play as a boy. TV is good enough for me now for games, now that the boys and even grandsons are grown.

I enjoyed the 4-way switch mod on several partso-tele's I cobbled together over the years. I even still have a switch in a blister package in my parts box! :thumbup:

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:08 pm

Gabe's the man! His VERY useful technical posts are sorely missed.

"Any Canadians here?" Well, as of 12/18/2010 I'm officially a dual citizen of the US and Canada. Canada changed their citizenship laws in 2009 and because my Dad was born in Canada I had the right to claim citizenship--which I did. I may be living in there in the not too distant future! Most likely in Quebec or the Maritimes. Snow? Bring it on! I'm psyched!

Sports? The Giants won the 2010 World Series. Need I say more?!?

Here's my SC-2 in it's virgin state. It's no longer quite as pristine, but you have to look close to see the scuffs. Love this guitar! It pairs beautifully with the Mesa Express 5:25 1x12.

--GDub

Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:49 am

"Any Canadians here?" Well, as of 12/18/2010 I'm officially a dual citizen of the US and Canada. Canada changed their citizenship laws in 2009 and because my Dad was born in Canada I had the right to claim citizenship--which I did.

Hmmm...I didn't know that, my Grandfather was born in Quebec, I'm wondering now if I could claim citizenship :think:

-Dave

Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:15 am

That's a very cool wiring mod. i wish I had an ASAT so that I could try it out.

That diagram has Gabe Dellevingne's name on it so is this something from the old board?

Will that mod work on a Mexi Tele?

I guess that I am more of an S type guitar player, when I play electric guitar.. I like the body contours.

The blues is the blues. Bad Blues is always boring. Good blues will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Trust me. If you are blind, crippled, one eyed or cheated on you have the blues. Even at a hockey game in Canada.LOL

In Washington D.C. we are happy that the Capitals broke their 8 game losing streak and have won their last two games.

Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:32 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for posting Gabe's wiring diagram. I found my copy of it and just added it to the Gallery in the Instrument Manuals and Wiring Schematics Album.
Here's the link to it: SC-2/ASAT 4-Way Switching with revised Tone Control.

Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:41 pm

Dave_P wrote:
"Any Canadians here?" Well, as of 12/18/2010 I'm officially a dual citizen of the US and Canada. Canada changed their citizenship laws in 2009 and because my Dad was born in Canada I had the right to claim citizenship--which I did.

Hmmm...I didn't know that, my Grandfather was born in Quebec, I'm wondering now if I could claim citizenship :think:

I don't think you can "grandfather" in, but I would definitely check it out if you're really interested.

--GDub