Tuesday Tidbits

Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:15 am

Lunch today is courtesy of the Red Dragon. I'm having the Hunan Pork, extra spicy, with fried rice and an egg roll. The lunch special is $5.95 and a pretty good deal. My drink today is diet Pepsi.

Effects: I've got 10 pedals on my board, 30 inch Trailer Trash, and pretty much use everyone of them over the course of a gig. Some more than others. For instance, I have a Swollen Pickle fuzz which I absolutely love, but it doesn't really work with the material we play so I use sparingly on maybe a Neil Young tune or a Wilson Pickett song. The pedals I use the most are my SIB (red) delay and a clean boost. I also have a Fulltone Trower pedal and a Spitfire by FX Eng (TS808-like) that are useful for low volume distortions. What effects are you guys using most?

G&L: Here's a clip that I did a while ago using my Legacy HB, Swart AST, SIB Echo, Fulltone Fulldrive MosFET, and Fulltone Deja Vibe.
[url]files.me.com/rickythompson/9h9u6c.mp3[/url] (Not sure if this will stream to your machine or download)

RickT

Re: Tuesday Tidbits

Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:29 am

Howdy Rick,

The pedal I use most currently is a Carl Martin TremO'Vibe pedal. Provides a luscious tremolo or a beautiful sounding vibrato. Just using that on the Clean channel of my Mesa Express 5:25 on the 5W setting and a good sounding ASAT is all I need to be in heaven.

- Jos

Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:16 pm

I never quite got the pedal thing. The ony ones I own are those I received from the kind folks at BBE which have come in handy as the Supro amp I have been using lately has alot more loading/capacitance on the input than say a comparable Fender and to my ears sounds better with some added boost. And I do love a bit of slapback echo.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:10 pm

Rick - I'm getting a message that the file you put up is no longer available. Looking forward to giving it a listen, though.

The Green Screamer I got once for LR duty is the only pedal I use on a fairly regular basis. Others I have and occasionally dust off are a vintage Vox King Wah, and an old Japanese Boss chorus pedal. I own a Sonic Stomp from my most recent LR stint, but I have yet to take the plastic off the box because things have been kind of crazy here with my kids and old folks and all. I do look forward to exploring it before too long, however. - ed

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:27 pm

I have been using no pedals the last couple few years. I love my sound, BUT IT IS LIKE TYPING IN ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME. HOW ABOUT I SCREAM AT YOU GOOD PEOPLE SOMEMORE!!!!! I am playing a lot more diverse music right now, and am just kinda feeling the need to try some new stuff. I just ordered a furman pedal board, and I can't wait to put both my pedals on it. A dunlop wah and a Boss Tuner. Then the fun begins!

I was kinda thinking my next steps were a delay, I am thinking analog. And then a compressor sustainer. So I am looking forward to other's thoughts.

EDIT - I downloaded the file OK. Cut and past into browser. But can't listen to it cause I'm in a meeting!

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Rick, great pics of your G&Ls over time. I also would like to have your amps. Glad to see you could LR for the week.

I am trying to retire and will be by the end of the year so I will have more time to do the music things that I like to do.

I only use BBE sonic Maximizers and a sonic stomp. BBE builds the products well and they seem to hold up. I was going to do a test on the Sonic Stomp using different amps but got sidetracked with a huge snowstorm. I did receive my MIDI foot controller on Friday and spent some time setting it up to work with my Fender Cyber Twin SE. It does exactly what I hoped it would. I can now select up to 100 presets with the foot controller and have the volume pedal working. The presets had to be selected by turning a knob on the amp before. Now I will spend time programing some cool sounds and use it on a gig the first part of January. So, I am a pretty limited guy with pedals. I have made great strides with the foot controller considering I didn't know what MIDI meant a month ago.-- Darwin

Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:28 pm

when I am not practicing drills I break out the pedals. The newest is a very clear optical compressor, Strymon OB.1. Other than that I use a lot of delay, very subtle, almost inauable as delay for soloing and such.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:26 pm

Lunch today is courtesy of the Red Dragon. I'm having the Hunan Pork, extra spicy.....

I thought that said 'Human Pork' until I reread it. I got a bit worried for a second. CANNIBAL!!!!!

Nice clip there Rick. It's good to see people posting their music up here, it takes some guts.

I use pedals, and I consider myself a purist. Currently my pedal board is set up for the country band I play with. It goes like this:

Boss tuner - MI Audio Tube Zone OD - Durham Sex Drive - Way Huge Aqua Puss - Mr. Springgy reverb - BBE Sonic Stomp

I leave the reverb and the sonic stomp on all the time, and the OD is on 3/4 of the time and is set for a very mildly overdriven sound, it's only just past clean. The Sex Drive (clean boost) gives me a bit more volume for solos/main riffs, so I'll use it in at least 75% of the songs in our set. I have the tone on the clean boost rolled back a way to give a fatter sound.

I recently bad mouthed the Aqua Puss as a high end robber, which it isn't - turns out the battery was a wee bit low on charge :oops: . Since using it with a power supply its much better. In fact, it's superb. I'd recommend it as a very good analog delay pedal for short delay times. I use it sparingly, only in rockabilly songs when the other guitarist in the band doesn't beat me to the slap-back sound!!!

I'm also looking at adding a compressor, since mine, an Electro Harmonix Black Finger, has died.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:16 pm

Hey Rick,

Pedals, currently rotate up to 13 pedals on my board, a Pedal Train Pro. Lately been using my RAT, BBE Two Timer, and DOD Phaser. Have a handful of distortion and overdrive pedals but the RAT seems to be fitting the bill lately with a BBE Green Screamer jumping in as well. The Two Timer has a great tone IMHO and tons of variety with the two options. Also switch over to a Carbon Coby delay every now and then. The Phaser to get that 70's REO Speedwagon vibe.

Would like to get a Nova Repeater, BBE Soul Vibe and a wah of some kind. Ah, the joys of modulation. 8-)

Have seen good reviews for the Swollen Pickle, will do some youtube search on your Neil Young recommendation, you enabler! :thumbup:

Hope yer not buried too bad.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:35 pm

I knew you guys had a nice collection of pedals out there. I do love a good tremolo pedal. I've got the Fulltone SupaTrem on my board and tha thing sounds really goo. I've also got tremolo built into my Swart so I can have two different tremolo settings. It gets pretty wacky sometimes but can be very inspirational.

Tonight is the geminid meteor showers. Look to the south and a bit west after midnight local time.

RickT

Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:40 am

I don't have a lot of pedals, three total, BBE free fuzz, sonic stomp and boss tuner, I use the sonic stomp with the old tube amps and it works great!, no need for it with a good amp like a Swart of Fuchs. At home I use the POD for effects and I have a rack mount compressor that's hooked up to an old Carvin Vintage 50 stack.

gary