Wicked Fun Wednesday the Eighth of December 2010

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:53 am

I sure am enjoying all the input on the lunch reports. A lot of you have done a lot of learning about the electric guitar as an instrument over the years!

Having a lot of Holiday “parties” this week. I use the term parties loosly, because they are with various work and social organizations. Not my troops, so the partying is limited and the politickin' is annoying. What's more, it leaves me short of leftovers for lunch. Today I will be heading out to a Pizza and wings buffet. What the heck. I'll have a boring lettuce and ranch salad (the salad bar is miserable) and then eat pizza until I am miserable.

I have a goal for the day, and it's a tough one—Ask a G&L question that the answer isn't “because they are great.” Hmmm. Off we go.

I say we go to guitar fantasy land for both questions today, a brief respite from technical gear question! Ultimate fantasy Jam time. Here's the deal. Using my amazing Montanan powers, I can set you up to jam with anybody who's ever played music. Alive or dead, famous or local. This is no time to hold back! Suck-up, Buck-up, and Play. The only catch is-you have to go with the fingers, one guitar, and gear you have today...

Who is invited to the Session? Why them?

What Songs Do you want to do? (Let's keep it short, maybe 2 or 3, just the coolest stuff)

And the all important G&L Question - What G&L are you taking?

Bonus – What's the second most important thing to take to the session?

Ok. I'll start. Well, I'm tempted to say Chet, he's the best. But, what the heck would I play to make it better?. So I am going to go with a monster performer: George "Buddy" Guy. Why? He's so expressive, I just want to play and watch him work!

What songs?
Feels like Rain – Gotta play one of his songs. And we could rock it, with a way simpler arrangement than the album version.

Champagne and Reefer – Gotta do a classic blues thing, and this is a great song to jam on both for guitar and vocals.

It's to hard to narrow it down after that.

What G&L?

My F-100, no question. I am most comfortable there.

Bonus,

I should say an amp I know. But I am tempted to say video camera. Wait, there are no video camera's in guitar fantasy land. So I am going to take both my DR's.

Come on, don't be shy...

Re: Wicked Fun Wednesday the Eighth of December 2010

Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:42 pm

I could sit down and wail at a session with whomever I want alive or dead huh? Tough one.

The first tune would would be Bessie's "Electric Chair Blues" followed by Victoria Spivey and Lonnie's "Toothache Blues." It would be me and...

Singer - Etta James
Bass - Who else but Willie Dixon
Guitar - Lonnie Johnson - the best there ever was or ever will be.
Keyboards - Johnnie Johnson
Drums - Sam Lay

The Gear I would bring:
G&L Guitar - 1st body style Interceptor.
Amp - 1955 Fender Twin-Amp

Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:46 pm

Feels like Rain – Gotta play one of his songs. And we could rock it, with a way simpler arrangement than the album version.

[youtube]LTUTKkxw94A[/youtube]

I'm not surprised you think this is Buddy's song--A lot of people have never heard of John Hiatt although he has been writing and recording for years.
He is one of my favorite singer songwriters and countless of his songs have been recorded by others.
Angel Eyes=Jeff Healy
Have a Little Faith in Me=Delbert McClinton (and many others)
Thing Called Love=Bonnie Raitt
Riding with the King=Clapton and BB King
Just to name a few.....

I'd love to play with him someday.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:52 pm

Ya know you could also just drop me in a room with Keef Richards.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:57 pm

Going to have to pass today, believe it or not I have no interest in jamming with anyone of 'stature'. Most of them are pretty down to earth guys and it might be fun, but I am happier not knowing them personally due to the fact that they are just normal people. I don't do the idolize/hero worship thing, but at the same time I have no interest in meeting them, especially to play music. I would be much happier and getting together with a guitarist I used to play with and rocking some of our tunes if we can remember them, we always had productive jams too.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:07 pm

suave eddie wrote:

[youtube]LTUTKkxw94A[/youtube]

I'm not surprised you think this is Buddy's song--A lot of people have never heard of John Hiatt although he has been writing and recording for years.
He is one of my favorite singer songwriters and countless of his songs have been recorded by others.
Angel Eyes=Jeff Healy
Have a Little Faith in Me=Delbert McClinton (and many others)
Thing Called Love=Bonnie Raitt
Riding with the King=Clapton and BB King
Just to name a few.....

I'd love to play with him someday.

Great Get, Thanks for straightening me out! I should have checked, it is a little more complicated than most of Buddies stuff. Definitely somewhat with John though, he is one of the great writers! I have a couple of CD's of John's, I should dig them out. My first dance at the reception for my 'other' (first marriage) was Real Fine Love, the version off 'Live at Budekon' (sp???). I think. Same guy?

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Great Get, Thanks for straightening me out! I should have checked, it is a little more complicated than most of Buddies stuff. Definitely somewhat with John though, he is one of the great writers! I have a couple of CD's of John's, I should dig them out. My first dance at the reception for my 'other' (first marriage) was Real Fine Love, the version off 'Live at Budekon' (sp???). I think. Same guy?

Yep, same guy......

I'm pretty sure there is an album out of his songs all done by others--sort of a tribute.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:28 pm

zombywoof wrote:Ya know you could also just drop me in a room with Keef Richards.

Loved your band. But yea. Keith. I love his playing. It drives, and yet it's so...just tasty. He's one of my favorites to just listen and love. Oh, yea. I have to look up electric chair blues. No idea. THANKS!!

sirmyghin wrote:Going to have to pass today, believe it or not I have no interest in jamming with anyone of 'stature'. Most of them are pretty down to earth guys and it might be fun, but I am happier not knowing them personally due to the fact that they are just normal people. I don't do the idolize/hero worship thing, but at the same time I have no interest in meeting them, especially to play music. I would be much happier and getting together with a guitarist I used to play with and rocking some of our tunes if we can remember them, we always had productive jams too.

That's not a pass... I didn't say they had to have stature with anyone! I was thinking they would have stature with you, though. The songs would come back, I think. I am playing with the guys I played with 15 years ago in college, every Sunday for 2-4 hours of jamming/writing awesomeness. Some of the stuff we wrote back then seems pretty trite, content wise, but it is cool to revive em and update em.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:09 pm

I wish my brother had more time to play guitar with me like in the good old days. We'd play some original songs.

I'll take a shot at the bonus question: Beer!

- ed

Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:15 pm

I'd like to jam w/ The Stones and Steely Dan. Let them choose the songs... or write new ones. My S-500 would have to come, but my 59'LP and a Marshall would be more realistic. Oh, fantasy: double-bound Bluesboy and the Whipper Snapper.

Cheers,

Will

Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:28 pm

It was the first incarnation of The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, when they came to Boston, that ended my Folk period. I'd love to jam with Mike Bloomfield, Elvin Bishop, Paul Butterfield, and the rest of that band.

I'd have to put some lighter strings on my S500, and a plain G so I could bend the Blues more than the heavier flatwounds I usually use, and line out my Tech21 TM30.

I'd want it recorded for DVD too, so a camera crew would be the equipment to bring.

Mike Bloomfield was an early influence (not that I got anywhere close to sounding like him ever), but as the years have passed I have appreciated Elvin Bishop's work -then and since- even more. I did manage to learn a Paul Butterfield harp lick I used to remember how to play on guitar, but it's buried under rust now so far I can scarcely remember what it was. :eh:

Driftin' and Driftin' would be the first tune I'd call. Born Under a Bad Sign, is another.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:35 pm

Great question Jeremy

I'd borrow Etta James from Zomby's jam for vocal duties.
Drums - The guy who played with Elvis in this video (what's his name??? He's awesome!!)
[youtube]FOzaVpgeHJg[/youtube]
Bass - Donald 'Duck' Dunn
Steel guitar - Cindy Cashdollar
Piano - Mac 'Dr. John' Rebennack
Organ - Booker T (duh!)
Guitars - Albert Collins, Grady Martin, Roy Nichols, and myself switching lead parts and Eldon Shamblin smiling up the back on rhythm.

I'd take my SH Bluesboy and my paisley deluxe and fit right in. Or flunk out badly, unable to play from the shakes.

Songs - You Don't Know Me, What'd I Say, I'd Rather Go Blind, Baby Ride With Me, Honey Hush.......It'd be a long jam.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Ah, I would like to hang out with these folks and have twangin', bangin' sangin' time:

Singer - Roger Daltrey
Bass - Sir Paul
Guitar - David Lindley and Will Ray (should have their own band Will RayO-X) 8-)
Keyboards - Billy Preston
Drums - Terry Bozzio

The Gear I would bring:
G&L Guitar - gotta go with the new ASAT Jr, probably because it's the latest in my hands
Amp - "borrow" a Mesa Mark V from one of GLDP owners, if no one shares it's my F-50

Bonus - surprise visit by Jerry Garcia to add some lap steel and banjo fills for fun :shh:

songs would be Twist and Shout, Werewolves of London, Will it Go round in Circles, Squeeze Box

Why these people and songs? Why not cut loose and jam some songs with some guys that that are incredible players