Freaky Friday

Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:58 pm

[youtube]7zB0RygrYy8[/youtube]

It's Friday already. Woo hoo! Thanks everybody for making me welcome this week and for all your responses. I've had a real blast. Now it's time to post the last report of the week and then suck off into the funset :wave:

Lunch
Friday is the best day of the week for so many reasons, not the least because it’s sushi day. I love the stuff. The flavours and textures are subtle, and they all complement each other perfectly. Except if you choose to blow your sinuses apart with wasabi. There’s something about the presentation of Japanese food that adds to its enjoyment too.

I don’t know the proper name for anything I’m eating right now. It looks a bit like this but it's crammed into a disposable plastic container.

It’s an assortment of tuna, salmon and a very white fleshed fish on rice. Throw on some soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi and my stomach is smiling. The California rolls with prawns (shrimp) inside are pretty good too.

G&L Topic
There’s been a bit of discussion over the last week about MFD pickups going microphonic as they age. My latest G&L, a ’97 S-500 has exactly this problem on the middle pickup, and to a lesser extent on the bridge pickup.

Craig posted up some useful information on the knowledge base yesterday about possible causes and fixes. One of the possible fixes is to get the pickups wax re-potted. I had convinced myself that I would have to do this, though I'd prefer not to. I'd already decided to put this project off as long as possible!

A different cause of microphonics in MFD pickups is that the magnets and keeper plates come un-glued over time, allowing them to move around in response to vibration. The solution is to simply re-glue them together.

I don’t know much about the design of MFD pickups so I popped the pick guard off my S-500 last night and took a look. Lo and behold, the long square plate at the bottom of the pickups was being held in place by magnetism alone on the middle and bridge pickups. I’m assuming this is the keeper plate or base plate referred to in the knowledge base info? The glue must indeed have broken over time.

So all I need to do now is some re-gluing. The question is what glue should I use? I don’t want to use the same stuff G&L use as it doesn’t seem to last very well. Gluing metal surfaces together is not one of my areas of expertise.

Would I be better off going the wax potting route and letting the wax hold the components in place?

Off Topic
Australians are generally a proud bunch of people, particularly when it comes to sporting achievements. But this summer dark clouds of discontent are massing on the horizon and the fragile bubble of Australian sporting self-esteem looks set to pop.

You see it is cricket season and the Australian and English teams will do battle for one of the most unimpressive but enduring sporting trophies in the world. The Ashes.

Rivalry between Australia and Britain goes back a long way and probably stems from Australia’s colonial roots. The Brits, or Poms as we affectionately call them, like to remind us at every opportunity that we are nothing but a bunch of useless ex-convicts that live in a God forsaken, dried out country at the arse end of the world. There are elements of truth in this. Even so, Poms continue to migrate to Australia in record numbers, though they’ll never admit they actually like it here. But I digress…

Australians like to remind the British that they are a bunch of effeminate, pale skinned, pompous nancy boys that only win world wars by getting Australians and Americans to help them. It’s all very good natured and, deep down, we all like each other. Really.

Historically, the natural order of events leading up to an Ashes series goes something like this.

England win a game against a lowly nation like e.g. Bangladesh. The British tabloids all say ‘jolly good show, this new team is world class. We really have a great shot at the Ashes this time’. The English team continues to win a game here and there (the losses are conveniently overlooked) and before you know it the tabloids are trumpeting ‘this is the best English team ever to leave our shores, you beer swilling convicts have got no chance’. After this the usual thing happens - the English players themselves start to believe the hype. Their heads puff up with helium and they march into battle against the Australians believing everything they’ve been told. Then the other usual thing happens. They wilt under pressure. First there’s a few wobbles, then a few cracks, and before you know it they’ve lost 5-0, or maybe 4-1 (the Aussies are inevitably hungover from celebrating for the last match).

The Poms start blaming each other, the tabloids scream for blood and the captain is sacked. It’s very amusing to watch, and one of the reasons Australians take such an interest in what can be a very boring game.

This time around it’s different, and I’m getting bad vibes. First of all the Australians are in lousy form – we’re in a rebuilding phase after the retirement of many champion players. Some of these retired players had the ability to make the Poms give up simply by walking onto the field. They were the spine that allowed the collective team to swagger and strut and intimidate. They were champion sledgers too (see note below). Now that they’ve gone the other teams smell blood.

Another ominous sign this summer is that the Poms have been winning lead up games. Here. In Australia. As a rule that doesn’t happen. Usually the Methodist Ladies College second eleven give the Poms a hiding leading up to the first Ashes match.

A further worrying sign is that when the Poms win a game they are not gloating and saying they are going to tan our hides. They are serious and focussed and I don’t like it. It is not the natural order of things, and it’s making me and my countrymen nervous – a bit like the way animals get edgy just before an earthquake.

If England pull off the impossible and defeat Australia in an Ashes series on home soil it will be a terrible day indeed. Our dollar will dive, consumer sales will slump, flags will fly at half mast and we’ll pretend we’re not really interested in cricket anyway. And the Poms will never let us forget it. They will be insufferable.

On the up side, if these depressing predictions come to pass I will surely need a new G&L to snap me out of it. Himilayan blue is a nice, cheery colour. And a cup of tea with an iced vo-vo on the side.....

Note: Sledging
- also known as niggle, chin music etc. etc. Sledging is a form of verbal psychological intimidation invented by the English but elevated to an art form by successive Australian teams. For years the Indian team tried to have sledging banned by arguing that they were at a disadvantage because English was their second language. Their feeble responses to sledging were along the lines of ‘stop it you big white bullies’ and were usually greeted with howls of laughter. Since then they have undergone intensive training in sledging and can now niggle like the best of them.

At its best, sledging can be a witty exchange of ideas along the lines of:
Bowler to Batsman: ‘Hey fat arse, how come you’re so fat?’.
Batsman to Bowler: ‘Because every time I bed your wife she gives me a biscuit’. Touché.

At its base level, sledging is a barrage of four letter words and expletives questioning the parentage of a player and the promiscuity of his wife/girlfriend. In my opinion all the players should be mic’ed so we can listen to this under appreciated, but entertaining aspect of the game.

I'm sure sledging is not unique to cricket (but the pace of the game does encourage it!).

Please feel free to contribute your best sledging stories from other sporting codes....

Re: Freaky Friday

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:03 am

Sushi is so great...I like to steadily add wasabi as I go...to full blowout at the last piece!

G&L Question -
I know nothing, but there is a lot of good information on this forum generally, even though it sometimes seems a little slow.

One general comment on 'vintage' gear. There are so many periods when a certain company produced a really remarkable product; pre CBS Fender amplifiers, for example, that are amazing. I don't have any pre CBS stuff, but even my 70's silverface amps are getting OLD. And stuff wears out.

I love vintage, love perfection in products, but as a straight player (as apposed to historian/collector) it is great that lot's of companies, like G&L, continue to make high quality gear as well. Sometimes I just want to hit the switch, and play, no tinkering!

Have a great and somewhat loud weekend, all.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:09 am

I might just have to go get sushi now! My favorite is called the "White Dragon Roll" it's spicy tuna with avocado in a white rice roll topped with unagi tempura (fried fresh water eel). Inevitably at some point I put on too much wasabi, but I kinda look forward to that now.

A two part epoxy might work well on those pickups, I have no idea what G&L uses though.

That's terrible news about your team, you never know though, they could still pull it off! We're generally superstitious here in RI so maybe try some sort of ritual, like wear a certain hat and/or shirt, do a dance, drink a certain beer....or all of the above combined! wear your favorite shirt and do a dance while shotgunning a beer!!! That's sure to do the trick :banana:
Best of luck!

-Dave

Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:00 am

Great week Phiby, not much to comment on today though, I cannot help you with the fix, nor about microphonic pickups. All mine are dead quiet and I like them that way.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:43 pm

I was curious why you posted the video of the EasyBeats so I went to Wikipedia and found out they are from Australia! When I first heard of them in the 60s they were on the British charts so I've always thought that they are English. I won't make that mistake now.

I enjoy sushi a lot. There is a Japanese restaurant about a mile from our house and we go there every once in a while, I usually get a combination of either sushi or sashimi and tempura. Even my son of 14, who up to this year would turn his nose up on any fish, finally started liking tuna rolls. The best sushi I've ever had though is found in Hawaii. About 20 years ago my wife and I visited a fish market in Hilo (Big Island Hawaii) to watch a fish auction and it was quite fascinating.

I thoroughly enjoy your report on cricket and the ash cup. I want to let you know that you are a good writer. Given what I understand to be the length of a cricket match your agony anticipating the final outcome may be too much to bear.

Kit

Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:05 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with Kit here. You are a most excellent and entertaining writer, Philby. Not only did I thoroughly enjoy your reports this week, but I think I peed myself a little reading today's installment.

I have nothing useful to say as usual, but I'll add that in American football, players sometimes spit on each other (which isn't flattering but it beats giving each other concussions intentionally utilizing illegal hits which is another way of getting the point across).

Sushi: I took microbiology in school so I prefer consuming cooked flesh. But Sushi is beautiful, nourishing, mysterious and best eaten fresh, much like the iced vovo a chap like you clearly deserves. Enjoy your weekend and thank you for a great week. - ed

Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:34 pm

I can't wait for the Ashes. I love watching it, and I especially enjoy the commentary. Cricket season is a great time of year in Melbourne as it means that football season is over! I used to live near the MCG and if I went anywhere in the car I'd have a 40min delay as people tried to get there and park. Grrrrrr! Anyway, cricket is the best game ever. It's true that you can't talk to an English person without the ashes coming up.

One of my favorite sledges:
Wicketkeeper: Hey batter - how's your wife and my kids?
Batter: *Misses ball*

I'm just going to leave my pickups microphonic - I don't play with a heap of distortion or overdrive anyway so it's only a problem very rarely. Phil, If you get around to doing it let me know how it goes.

Great week Phil, highly entertaining. 5 stars!!!!

Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:17 pm

As far as sledging goes, the only team sport I played was hockey, and when I was on the ice even the crowd was in audible, just skates and sticks w/ picks, it is eerily quiet it seems.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:30 pm

Great week Philby. Good posts and a great sense of humor from down under. My condolences to your better half as she gets it about these guitars. We are suffering from brain disorders when it is about guitars.

The only cricket that I am familiar with in Minnesota is the one that stars chirping after dark. They are hard to catch but a little patience and a flashlight and they are dead meat. Just kidding!!!

Loose plates on a pickup probably isn't that uncommon as guitars get older. But, I think with new glues and epoxies this will become less of a problem as time goes on. Vintage is cool but guitars and electronics continue to improve. I would use epoxy to re glue a plate but it would probably be a good idea to re wax as long as it is already out.

New technology is always a challenge and interesting to me. I traded my Pro Reverb Amp this week for a Cyber Twin Se. The Cyber Twin Se is a love or hate relationship for most who have tried them. I love it and will do a separate post.

Waiting to hear from Dave from that Nordeast area next week and get ready for summer Philby. We will be basking in the snow. Thanks :happy0065: Darwin

Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:14 pm

Thanks for the positive vibes everyone!

I'm a scientist by day, and writing executive level reports is part of my job. But scientific reporting has to be one of the most dry and boring pursuits one can do. You're not allowed to be funny, you're not allowed to exaggerate, you can't be colourful, and every little detail has to be spot on. It does my head in and I often contemplate a career change.

Writing the Lunch Reports felt like being released from a straight jacket! Once I got on a roll I couldn't stop. Thanks for reading my thought explosions.

Have a great weekend!

Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:25 pm

I was curious why you posted the video of the EasyBeats so I went to Wikipedia and found out they are from Australia! When I first heard of them in the 60s they were on the British charts so I've always thought that they are English. I won't make that mistake now.

The Easybeats qualify as possibly Australia's first rock and roll export. Their chief songwriters, Harry Vanda and George Young, have written more hit songs over their careers than I can possibly recall. George Young is the elder brother of Angus, of AC/DC fame. After the Easybeats, Vanda and Young formed a side project called Flash and the Pan. In this Youtube video George has a not-so-subtle dig at his younger brother's schoolboy look!

[youtube]tz48dyXTFpQ[/youtube]

Unfortunately Stevie Wright, lead singer of The Easybeats, descended into alcoholism after they broke up. He lives in a homeless shelter in Sydney, but incredibly still plays the odd gig.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:45 pm

I can't wait for the Ashes. I love watching it, and I especially enjoy the commentary.

Too right Jamie.

For me the classic sound of Australian summer is laying on a beach with a commentary of the cricket playing in the distance on someone's transistor radio, just quiet enough that the sound wafts across in waves on the sea breeze.