Final Report Friday

Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:28 pm

Lunch today is some left over lentil, vegetable and Polish sausage soup, which was Wednesday’s dinner. Very tasty and kind of healthy. I’ll have a cup of tea with it.

Non G&L topic
I have a love of live music – recorded or in person, I think it’s infinitely better than the studio where overdubs and, god forbid, pitch correcting ruin the interaction between musicians – interaction is what makes jazz such interesting music.
There seems to be a trend recently to bring some of the theatrics back into music performance, which I think should be welcomed with open arms. There are a few local acts who I’ve seen use props, some have gimmicks, and some are just plain good musicians whose playing does all the talking. One of the coolest bits of showmanship I’ve seen recently was this band (I’ve forgotten their name) who were all dressed in matching orange suits with white trim. After a few songs they all put their instruments down, the drummer stood up, and they removed their jackets in perfect unison, then went straight back into playing a great set. It looked great! And so simple! It was very memorable.

What are your favorite live recordings?

This clip is my favorite thing that’s ever been committed to tape.

[youtube]pyMd19sE6U4[/youtube]

Here you get two blues legends singing a duet version of one of the best blues songs ever written with the best backing band imaginable - the one belonging to BB King. Dr. John’s verse really shows his personality – there’s no one else who could sing those words like him. Etta James opens right up on this which is always going to be a spectacle! On top of the amazing performance of the song are the theatrics. Ever so easy, not physically demanding at all (they are both inflated versions of themselves in the clip due to various addictions, food being one of them...) but ever so effective – just listen to the crowd as the theatrics begin.

Here's a few more of my favourite live recordings:
The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East - Amazing guitar work and interplay.
Zappa’s 'Tinseltown Rebellion' is a very good fun album - yes, ok he did a lot of overdubs because he was a control freak and a perfectionist but in essence it’s live.
Wes Montgomery’s ‘The Incredible Jazz Guitar’ is an opus and lthough not recorded at a live concert, it was almost certainly recorded as a live take (ie all the musicians playing at once)
John Coltrane’s ‘Spiritual’, which has the best versions of ‘Naima’ and "My Favorite Things' I’ve ever heard.
Buck Owens has some great live albums as well – check out the ‘Carnegie Hall’ concert or ‘Live in Japan’ - banter through an interpreter never sounded so good.
Yngwie Malmsteens ‘Live in Leningrad’ is good too, but not everyone likes him as much as I do.

G&L Topic
Is there a feature of G&L’s past that you’d like to see revisited? I’m a fan of the 3-bolt neck with the micro-tilt. From what I understand the only reason it was pulled is because Fender guitars with 3-bolt necks had a bad reputation (which was also undeserved) and that adversely affected sales of G&L's.

It’s been fun reporting to you guys, I hope you’ve enjoyed reading, maybe you’ve learned something or even tried an new dish at lunch!

-Jamie

Re: Final Report Friday

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:05 pm

TGIF indeed!!

Great week blarg... thanks for providing a break from the daily letters. (hint to your question)

What are your favorite live recordings?
Agree with Zappa's Tinseltown, love that one. One day I too will "make a quilt" !! :evilgrin:

A few of my faves include these (fighting with posting vids so here's the best I can do):
The Who Live at Leeds and Isle of White (no Leeds live clips)
[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/k0CmU1Atz_M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/k0CmU1Atz_M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

G3 in Denver (was there)
[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aiXR9ggRdFI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aiXR9ggRdFI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Alice Cooper on the Muppets - man those were the days!! :happy0065:
[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fHr6GbWPBVQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fHr6GbWPBVQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

G&L Topic
Is there a feature of G&L’s past that you’d like to see revisited?
How about when ya could buy a G-200 and an Intercepter!!! Yee Haa

Thanks for the input and rock on with the new band and new (incoming) guitar! :banana:

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:50 pm

Hey Sam

I can't work those links. If you want to post youtube clips, click the youtube tabs and insert the posrtion of the address after the '=' sign in the url for the video (not the embed code like you've done), like this bit in red

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZqZgmpq1nw

This is what you get:
[youtube]7ZqZgmpq1nw[/youtube]

Easy!

Thanks for all your responses - I enjoy the Muppet show a lot!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:26 am

Good week Blarg,

I too enjoy live music, but I have nothing against over dubs. Some things musically, in a band pretense cannot be achieved outside the studio, but that doesn't make them any less awesome. My favourite live recording is Rush in Rio. That was a great one. I also have a copy of Sonata Arcticas for the sake of revenge (caught that tour too) and it is quite good. As far as Yngwie goes, he is a great player, we cannot doubt that, unfortunately he is a victim of his own tropes, and his metal is some of the lamest crap ever. He is great on a classical guitar, and heck him doing Red House was pretty spectacular, but his metal leaves flat. The fact he can run around playing like that is very impressive though.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:36 am

There are overdubs on live recordings and then there are overdubs. About the worst would be something like the the "13th Floor Elevators Live" LP. Little more than outtakes with the cheers from a bullfight or something added.

Most of my favorite live recordings are bootlegs.

But Among my favorite legit releases are:

Warren Zevon - "Stand in the Fire"
Son House - "Live at the Gaslight Cafe"
Who - "Live at Leeds"
Rolling Stones - "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out"
Dave Alvin & The Guilty Men - "Interstate City"
Georgia Satellites - "Let it Rock" (import EP)

G&L stuff - I kinda miss that industrial look of the crinkled black metal scratchplate and hardware.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:48 am

I enjoy both live and studio recordings. Actually, when I was younger I avoided live recordings, but have come to appreiciate some. As a guitarist, I like watching live video to see what they're using to get their sounds...I HATE it when they don't have their gear visible on stage!

Rush in Rio is my favorite live DVD (since it was mentioned already)
The Andy Timmons Band DVD is great, too.

For live audio recordings, some of my favorites are bootlegged recordings of Bruce Cockburn...he sometimes reinvents old songs for live shows, and some are really incredible, but they never show up on albums, so the only way to get them is through bootlegs!

Eric Johnson and Alien Love Child is probably my favorite officially released live recording.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:56 pm

Great week, glad to see another perspective.
not to be the thorn amongst the roses since I'd agree with all the
OP's statement but, not the Buck Owens part. Not that I think he
was bad, since he was a great entertainer, I just never got into
his stuff.. Roy Clark on the the other hand, I just loved to watch
him play.. The love of music just poured from him...

Best shows I've seen..
Scorpions 1988
BB King/Robert Cray 97 (I think)
Garth 1998 (I think)
Assylum Street Spankers 2002 (I think)
G3 first go round with Vai, Satch, EJ, Chris Duarte, and Adrian Legg..
Many others but those are the top.
favorite albums (live) Skynyrd, Robert Johnson box set (I think you can
call it live) as well as the Hank Williams sr 40 hits. and Scorpions
world wide live...

I can't think of any G&L's past guitars that impacted me as much as
the current ones other than the S 500 Leo sig but that's not gonna happen..

Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:07 pm

sirmyghin wrote:Good week Blarg,

I too enjoy live music, but I have nothing against over dubs. Some things musically, in a band pretense cannot be achieved outside the studio, but that doesn't make them any less awesome. My favourite live recording is Rush in Rio. That was a great one. I also have a copy of Sonata Arcticas for the sake of revenge (caught that tour too) and it is quite good. As far as Yngwie goes, he is a great player, we cannot doubt that, unfortunately he is a victim of his own tropes, and his metal is some of the lamest crap ever. He is great on a classical guitar, and heck him doing Red House was pretty spectacular, but his metal leaves flat. The fact he can run around playing like that is very impressive though.

I know where you're coming from Sirmy, he is definitely stuck in his ways, has a reputation as being one of the biggest a-holes in the entire music industry and has written some of the worse lyrics ever. I have to disagree that his metal is lame (I totally respect your opinion, but I'm going to try and sell it to you now anyway ;) ). It's got a commercial '80s thing going on but that was just the in thing when he started out and probably made him more money than if he'd chosen a hipper, more underground sub-genre. There are a LOT of bands from that era who are much, much lamer. The reason I like him is that he is who he is, and he's confident enough in not only his ability to play but in himself to keep doing it despite having been torn to shreds (pun intended) by critics for the last 20 or 30 years. If you admire his playing - and I recall you mentioning that you enjoy classical music - you may want to check out his work with the Japanese Philharmonic. Get the DVD so you can see the look on his face. It's his life dream and he's living it. It's a fantastic watch.

zombywoof wrote:There are overdubs on live recordings and then there are overdubs. About the worst would be something like the the "13th Floor Elevators Live" LP. Little more than outtakes with the cheers from a bullfight or something added.

G&L stuff - I kinda miss that industrial look of the crinkled black metal scratchplate and hardware.

You're dead right, Zombywoof. A lot of live albums are contrived pieces of claptrap. I think Zappa uses to overdub where there were bad mistakes - that's okay by me, if I were the musician playing the clunker I wouldn't want it on record.

On the crinkle black, I'm totally with you. I love the look of that stuff. And bring back the metal string ferrule on the ASAT Classic!!!!!!!

Chris - You'd have to be the first person I've heard say they don't like Buck's material - you deserve a prize!!!!!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:46 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:
sirmyghin wrote:Good week Blarg,

I know where you're coming from Sirmy, he is definitely stuck in his ways, has a reputation as being one of the biggest a-holes in the entire music industry and has written some of the worse lyrics ever. I have to disagree that his metal is lame (I totally respect your opinion, but I'm going to try and sell it to you now anyway ;) ). It's got a commercial '80s thing going on but that was just the in thing when he started out and probably made him more money than if he'd chosen a hipper, more underground sub-genre. There are a LOT of bands from that era who are much, much lamer. The reason I like him is that he is who he is, and he's confident enough in not only his ability to play but in himself to keep doing it despite having been torn to shreds (pun intended) by critics for the last 20 or 30 years. If you admire his playing - and I recall you mentioning that you enjoy classical music - you may want to check out his work with the Japanese Philharmonic. Get the DVD so you can see the look on his face. It's his life dream and he's living it. It's a fantastic watch.

That the one when he is playing electric beside the orchestra? I have seen most of that, sometime I thought he wasn't playing the same song. I prefer Gilbert to Malmsteen, especially stuff liek viking kong which is gilbert making fun of Malmsteen. You are definitely right about him though, he is confident, I just think his licks are a little tired is all. He uses the same stuff over and over. He is like Angus Young but amazing at guitar :P

Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:40 pm

Wow. That Etta vid IS something else, no?

I may lose a few friends here in the next moment, but when I think great live albums, I cannot ignore Frampton Comes Alive. Mind you, when it first came out I got tired of all the radio play and I didn't even realize who this Frampton joker was. But I've come to realize now that as live albums go, few have been more important or so widely well-received. Or fun?????

Live at Leeds is wonderful too. How about Band of Gypsies? Gosh there are so many. Great question. I like Tull at MSG a lot (what a shock!) - ed

PS: On the G&L feature to be revisited, I'm with ZW on the black crinkle. Plastic can be so, uh, plastic.....

Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:53 pm

zapcosongs wrote:
PS: On the G&L feature to be revisited, I'm with ZW on the black crinkle. Plastic can be so, uh, plastic.....

I think you and Zombywoof are going to like what I have in the works, hopefully I'll have it in 2 weeks or so. Stay tuned.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:20 pm

sirmyghin wrote: He uses the same stuff over and over. He is like Angus Young but amazing at guitar :P

Good analogy!

I'm looking forward to seeing this secret project you keep hinting at, especially if there's some crinkle black on it!

zapcosongs wrote:Wow. That Etta vid IS something else, no?

Glad you enjoyed it. Pure magic. I still get goosebumps when I watch it and I've watched it A LOT!!!!! There's a DVD available of the entire concert. I'm afraid that if I buy it I'll never leave the house again....

Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:21 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:
sirmyghin wrote: He uses the same stuff over and over. He is like Angus Young but amazing at guitar :P

Good analogy!

I'm looking forward to seeing this secret project you keep hinting at, especially if there's some crinkle black on it!

Not quite..