Workin’ Mans Wednesday

Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:07 pm

Lunch today was some chicken I got from the local butchers - they sell them there, cooked, for $6.50. I managed to resist buying an enormous piece of pork crackling, that's just plain unhealthy. I ate the wings and those nice bits underneath with some leftover coleslaw. I always put some apple in coleslaw, it makes it even better.

Got a lot to cover today, I'm feeling wordy and inquisitive.

Off Topic
Today I had a job interview (audition last night, job interview today, lunch reporter - I'm under a lot of scrutiny this week) for a stevedore position with P&O shipping. It involves driving cars off of ships for A LOT more money than I would have thought! I’m on my summer break from uni so rather than sit around the house getting fatter for three months I’ll get a job so I can pay off that credit card I wish I didn’t use! Who knows, I may even make enough money to fund a lavish music purchase! I have my mind set on an SH ASAT Special in either Fullerton Red or Emerald Blue, either way with a tortoiseshell guard. My girlfriend would prefer I put the money towards a mid year holiday, and she’s right - I haven’t had a proper holiday where I can put my feet up and not worry about money or house work for 5 whole years. But guitars are damn good fun and the exchange rate is in my favour at the moment….. What's your next guitar related purchase going to be?

On the topic of girlfriends etc - and I realise this is a bit of a girlie question - where did you meet your partner? My girlfriend and I met at an evening called Soul-A-Go-Go on New Years Eve on this year’s side of midnight. My sister is responsible for introducing us – I was dancing with my sister and she’d obviously had enough of so she spun me around into my now girlfriend. We took over the stage when the actual Go-Go dancers got down, it was an absolute belter of an evening. After a while she left with her friends for another bar but I got her number! Our first date was a couple of days later at a Chinese dumpling restaurant; the bill was $15 in total. The rest, as they say, is history. We moved in together three weeks ago.

G&L Topic
In my opinion, the neck of a guitar, above all else, is the most crucial part of the instrument. There are so many factors to consider in the construction of a neck that it is a small miracle when one finds a neck that is just perfect. What’s your favourite G&L neck and why? Is there a neck option you wish they’d add?

For me, the #1 neck with its 12” radius fret board is just right. I love it. It’s big, but not too big. It’s fast, but not too fast. It’s as snug in the neck pocket as you like. I like the big frets on it. It resonates very, very nicely. I have it on two of my ASAT’s and even though it is made in the same factory on the same machine, I’ll be damned if they don’t feel different! On one of them, the Classic S I posted a picture of in Monday’s report, the edges of the fingerboard have a slightly more pronounced curve to them. On my Bluesboy, pictured in yesterdays report, they are somewhat sharper. This dfference is obviously down to the hand-finishing portion of construction, but there is another, more mysterious difference that I have noticed. The BB has noticeably more tension in the strings than the Classic S. Both are strung up with the same brand (Ernie Ball), same gauge (10-46) strings and have the same scale length but, inexplicably, there is definitely a difference. The BB is one year younger. My preference out of the two supposedly identical necks is for the one on the BB. It makes me wonder what might make it feel even better to me, but for now, and I emphasize the 'for now', its just right. I would, however, like to see the option of a radius between 7.5" and 12". Probably 10", as sometimes barre chords can be a bit tough on the 12" board.

Something big happened yesterday - I got some new picks, medium gauge Fender celluloid ones. They're great! I had been using the same picks but the heavy gauge, and recently they've felt a like they're fighting me a bit too much. I think I have found my perfect pick. My preferred pick seems to change with each step forwards in my ability as a guitar player. Anyone else noticed this?

That's all for now.

Jamie

P.S. Why no-one comment on theme tune, you no like?
Last edited by blargfromouterspace on Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Workin’ Mans Wednesday

Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:21 pm

Finally listened to theme tune, very fun. Reminds me of Hee Haw with Roy Clark and Buck Owens trading licks. :clap:

Go with the guitars while ya can. 8-) Tell your girlfriend "it's like a holiday every time you play, and you will write her a new song." And play with the band you auditioned for, cuz ya surely passed the test.

What's your next guitar related purchase going to be?
Just got this lovely ASAT Jr last week! :elguitar054:
ASAT Jr. by asatsam, on Flickr

ASAT Jr2 by asatsam, on Flickr

What’s your favourite G&L neck and why?
Was always a fan of the #2 7.5" for comfort, and still like it a lot, but the #1 12" has become a close second or even a tie. The 12" is better for bends IMHO.

Sounds like a loaded week with all yer activity, good luck on the interview and audition, you got this GLDP nailed. :alright:

Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:58 pm

sam wrote:Finally listened to theme tune, very fun. Reminds me of Hee Haw with Roy Clark and Buck Owens trading licks. :clap:

Go with the guitars while ya can. 8-) Tell your girlfriend "it's like a holiday every time you play, and you will write her a new song." And play with the band you auditioned for, cuz ya surely passed the test.

Thanks Sam! Great excuse too.

That's a beautiful guitar, I'd love to play one. How does the Tune-O-Matic compare with the saddle lock? It's been a while since I played a mahogany guitar, I really like it as a tone wood - it compliments P90's really well.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:46 am

My next music purchase is the MP toolkit 2 for pro tools
guitar related probably just a couple pedals, I've been wanting a green
screamer, two timer, and sonic stomp so I get one about every month
or two.

Met my "other" at a church dance.
[youtube]U-p0zn3PijY[/youtube]
Just kidding, we're still together,

The #1 on my S 500 is one of the best necks I've ever played. I like thin
necks that aren't too narrow and not just the neck but a slight difference in
the cut and finish of the nut can make a difference for me...

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:09 am

Thanks blarg....,

Quote:
How does the Tune-O-Matic compare with the saddle lock?

Still too new new to get the real differences, but I do feel a difference. The sound on this guitar comes from so many different features as well.

Oh yeah, for got this question.
where did you meet your partner?
As with you it was a music related event. My wife and I met at a club where a mutual friend's band was playing and as you said "the rest is history". That is twenty years ago and we've been married 19 of them!

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:43 am

Hey
my next guitar purchase will definitely be an ASAT classic custom, lake placid blue w/mint pickguard or maybe blonde if I decide to go the swamp ash way... (I finally ended up my quest folks, no BB, no semi-hollow..., thanks for the advice see topic http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2438)

How I met my partner ? Well in a place in Paris wich is called "place des grands hommes", she was a friend of the sax player of the band I was playin' in at that time. I know, not really original :oops:

cheers

supereiv

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:08 am

Hey supereiv, thanks for chiming in. Glad to hear you've made a decision, I'm sure you wont regret it. From what you'd said it definitely sounds like you were after a solid body CC. LPB is a nice colour too.

Chris - I love that song. I love all of Jerry Reed's material. That guy in the band doubling his guitar solo in that clip sure had his work cut out for him! JR would have to be one of the greatest guitar players of all time!

Sam - I tried the "...write you a song on it" angle and it went down well - consider her duped! Mwahahah!!! I'm sure that it will only work once though, so I'm going to make it count!

It seems like music has brought a fair few of us together with out partners, what a great thing.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:47 am

A have a few guitar related purchases coming in: Rebel Yell BK pickups, Tungsten floyd block, springs, and a pickguard for my ASAT special (remember the big secret idea, I found someone to do it at a reasonable price). I have a compressor pedal coming in too (got it used, Strymon OB.1). My next purchase could be a pedal or something, or I will save up raw for a nice 7 string from strictly 7 guitars.

I met my Wife at high school. We then had some years apart at university but remained together. We are rounding year 7 right now.

Necks I only care about string spacing (width at nut) and radius. As a strict thumb behind neck player the carve is pretty irrelevant to me.

I was going to ask where the theme song was today, Monday it was in dropbox and inaccessible, tuesday it worked so I went back and listened to monday. It rocks!

Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:45 am

What's your next guitar related purchase going to be?

I'm having a korina s-type made for me and it should be completed by February. This is the first time I have been able to choose every facet of the instrument. It will end up looking like a natural wood w/ thin nitro, birds-eye neck w/ either ebony or black walnut board(compound radius) and white pg, pu's and gold hardware & bridge. Then plop it into a Calton case(dark gray w/ vintage green interior)... Oh, G&L: a few used lefties coming from Philly next week. I will keep them all! Oh, and register too.

What’s your favourite G&L neck and why? Is there a neck option you wish they’d add?

The #1 they did on my 1998 S-500 is incredible. However, I've tried a few #1's from that time and they were all a bit different. So my neck is being examined to see exactly what the specs are and applying that to the korina. Yeah!

I liked your instrumental. Maybe there could be an Official G&LDP soundtrack and we could all take part.

Cheers,

Will

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:57 pm

My next guitar-related purchase is a guitar I mentioned in another post...most likely ordering a Legacy HB in Cherryburst on Swamp Ash with a maple fingerboard, upgraded with locking tuners and a Graph Tech nut.

The only G&L neck I'm familiar with is the one on my Legacy, which I assume to be a #1. I like it well enough and will probably go with that on the new guitar.

I met my wife working at a bank when I was in grad school. I was actually set up by the women tellers I worked with who were all 20 years older than me...I had no idea who they had in mind and tried to get out of it, but was not successful. My wife made deposits for a local business and these tellers decided we belonged together because we'd both done church-related voluntary service. That wasn't much to go on, but when they pointed her out to me, I thought she was cute, so asked her out and we've been married 10 years now. And today is her 40th birthday!! :shock:

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:05 pm

The most likely candidate for my next acquisition is a Supro doubleneck lap steel.

Then again, I also ran across osne of these which I would love to own - a 1960s Dan Electro Guitarlin

Can't afford them both - Decisions, descisions.

Not sure which is my favorite G&L neck - probably whichever one is the fattest.
Last edited by zombywoof on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:38 pm

Left over chicken chow fun today for lunch.

You have to update us on the audition!

Next guitar purchase. Hmmm. I think I am going to put my pedals on a board, I don't use them that much, but I do like to have them available. I am thinking of the furman board, because my power situation is miserable. My next BIG purchase is going to be a 12 string. I think a Guild, but Taylor's new acoustic electric line is intriguing as well, and much less expensive.

I really don't know what necks I have! They all have 7.5" radius, or something in that range. Big old curve. I don't know that this would have been my ideal preference. But after so many hours with my F-100, and it feels 'right' now. The neck on my older ASAT (I think it's a 91-92) is much narrower than my '08 deluxe, and I like it a little better. But I am playing the deluxe a ton, and we are definitely making friends. I would like to try a guitar with a wider nut, for more intricate lines I am trying these days. But that is way down my list of actual purchasing priorities.

I met my 'other' in my Apartment! When I was younger my place seemed to always have something going on. And she came to a party. I saw her once in a while for many years. I moved for work to Portland, and was newly single so I called her to show me around. That was 6 years ago.....

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:40 pm

So many questions, so little time..... Hmmmm....

Met my gal at my cousin's graduation party. She was one of my cousin's best friends and the party was at a mountain resort-like compound in far-western Massachusetts of all places.....

Next purchase: I'm all set with guitars and (finally!) with amplifiers now. All I really need are some good cords and a better way to
organize and power my (few) pedals. But I'm not shopping at the moment. Just learned that our home needs a whole new heat pump unit, which will probably set us back six thousand or so. Yikes!!!!

Favorite neck: I've been falling in love of late with my (first style) SC-3 and find the neck on that one to be vintage Fender wonderful.
Love the neck on my Bluesboy as well, but they are completely different, and I'm not even sure which number neck it is. I can kind of get used to most any neck, but the SC-3 and Bluesboy both feel great to me!

String tension issue: I think what you're feeling is the warm pull of the magnets in the Seth Lover humbucker! ;+) - ed
PS: I liked the little tune well enough. Made me want to pour me a Fosters!

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:09 pm

sickbutnottired wrote:You have to update us on the audition!

I PASSED IT! One of the guys called me last night and said that once I got in my car and left they decided that they didn't need to see the other guy - I'm very happy, not least because I don't have to wait two weeks to find out. My first gig with them won't be until Christmas Eve, I have a lengthy list of 80 (!) songs to learn.

zapcosongs wrote:String tension issue: I think what you're feeling is the warm pull of the magnets in the Seth Lover humbucker! ;+) - ed
PS: I liked the little tune well enough. Made me want to pour me a Fosters!

I wonder, Ed, if that could be the case. It is the only difference between the two guitars. It hadn't even occurred to me that the pickups could be what's causing it.

Zombywolf - that is a tough decision. I love lap steel and that Supro looks like a fine example. I own a lap steel (8 string, C6 tuning), I had it out yesterday for the first time in a while, they're such a fantastic instrument. I try and play it whenever I learn a song with a 6th chord in it! On the other hand, I love the longhorn Danelectros. One of the guys in this band I just landed the gig with has a longhorn bass that he's converted into a baritone guitar and it sounds great.

willross wrote:
I'm having a korina s-type made for me...... Oh, G&L: a few used lefties coming from Philly next week. I will keep them all

I'm jealous, I wish I had a few guitars coming at once! I'd like to see a G&L made out of Korina, that's a nice wood.

Thanks to those who took the time to listen to the theme tune, I appreciate your comments. We all like a bit of peer approval don't we?

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Those guitars are in unknown condition, so we'll see. A korina G&L? I tried, but going back to Arpeggio Guitars for that one(1920's 5A heartwood - they're the only one's in the world to have this quality korina). I have a Custom made for and owned by Elliot Easton, but this will be my first custom order.

Cheers,

Will

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

That's great... Glad you got spot in the band..

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:56 pm

Blarg, good posts this week and some good answers today. I have been busy. I participated in two, one hour talks today, for the 6 Th graders at the Cambridge MN middle school, about the Kensington Runestone. That was fun. My Daughter and Grand Daughter were with me so it was especially fun. I also brought my 2007 Ovation VXT, which was as new, as I bought it new. I gave it to my Daughter and she was delighted. They were actually great guitars but didn't sell well. They have been discontinued for some time. The bonus is that I had lunch at Subway with both of them.

It was a rush to hear that you got the lead player job. They saw something in you which convinced them to look no more. You will be amazed that frequent gigging and practice will suddenly take you to the next level as a player.

I would be a liar if I even tried to predict my next guitar related purchase. Last week I stopped at Willies American Guitars in St Paul and I left with a EB Music Man Axis Sport with MM P90s. It was a rare find for me and is it sweet. In pristine condition but a Silver Gray color. Not my fave but the sound makes up for it!

Ginny and I met many years ago when I was having as much fun as I do now. She was intrigued by my fun stuff as she had been living a very serious life. So, she popped the question later on and I'm not more than borderline crazy so here we are, many years later and what else can I say!!! She still keep me on course even though I frequent guitar shop more than a person should.

I have talked about necks several times but I can relate to what you say about the same size G&L necks feeling different. I have 8 american G&Ls and I thought that some of them had different necks. So last winter I get out the caliper and measured them all. They varied slightly (tolerance) but they appear to all be the same. So much for my perception. After getting my mind straightened out they feel pretty much the same. I do like the gloss G&L necks. The only gloss necks that I find sticky are Nitro necks. I like them all. Life is good and I could not come up with a complaint on any of my guitars tonight even if I were paid to! Blarg, bring it on home the rest of the week from down under. Ask me about snow in about 2 months!!---- :happy0065: :arrow: Darwin

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:36 pm

Thanks Darwin. If I was going to get a MM guitar it'd be one with P90s. Nice purchase. I've been gigging for a while now with another band I play with, and you are right. My playing has improved tenfold. You just can't learn as quickly when you're practicing by yourself.