Forget-Me-Not Friday

Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:49 pm

Lunch today is a simple PB&J with an apple and some coffee.. I like to toast the bread and put a little butter on the PB side which makes it taste amazing and is probably extremely bad for you..

As the week as lunch reporter comes to an end I find myself thinking about
Leo and George and the great friendship and working relationship they
must have had which is why I think G&L's are as special as they are.

I also think about my grandmother who grew up in the same era (12 years younger than leo). She passed a couple years ago and my Aunt asked me to write a song and perform it
at her sevices. I have started recording it for a family CD and will share my progress with
you. It's too long right now and will get shortened, drums redone, bass and Asat special will be added..
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4612032/A%20Song%20for%20Grandma%20%28one%20more%20star%29_converted.mp3

Do you have any musical projects you are working on ?
Do you set daily/weekly goals to help your progress ?

Well, I got the chance to play with Will at a clinic a couple years ago and I just want to say thanks to Will and my friend Phil, shortly after that I went to Phil's show and he walked over to me took off his Comanche, put it on me and said have some fun...

At the time I had NO G&L guitars but did want a Leo Fender sig S 500. Instead, I bought a Legacy HB, an S 500 (non sig) an Asat Special, a Comanche and Two WR's. Doug Doppler ahs the Comanche, a WR, and the Asat or I'd post a family photo.

Which brings me back to George and Leo and George..
and what would it have been without a supportive wife behind him all
the way..
at the G&L factory inspecting a Bass

Do you have any friends that you've had for decades ?
Why are they special to you?

I've got a friend named Paul that was a friend of my uncle when I was a small
child. He and I went riding together and hit it off around 30 years ago. We are
on the same bowling team (tonight) poker last night. Fantasy football etc.. He
let my family stay with him for months when I retired from the Air Force which
made it easy for us to move back home and not have to send our dogs to a kennel
or the pound...

Re: Forget-Me-Not Friday

Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:20 pm

Nice song Chris. I like the idea of a family CD - gives you something appropriate to listen to as you go through old photo albums.

I have a very special friend. I've know him since my first day of high school and we've been great friends ever since. We used to hang out all the time after school, go surfing, jumping off cliffs into the river (there's a great spot in my hometown with cliffs of about 20' into an, according to urban legend, 'bottomless' part of the river), went to countless bars bar and drank innumerable beers together. We've worked together, lived together, fixed cars together, everything - we've even cried together. He's one of only a couple of what I'd call true friends that I'm fortunate enough to have. We all live in different parts of the world now - the shortest distance between us is around 3400km so needless to say we don't all get the chance to get together that often. We had a great reunion of sorts this year at the engagement party of one of our little group which was immense fun.

I have a couple of music projects I'm working on. All will be revealed soon!

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:32 pm

No current projects I am thinking , with the frost, of composing my requim to ragweed though. I finally don't have a sinus headache, like all freaking summer.

No real friend I have known forever/do a lot with except my wife. Others have become distant due to education, but I suppose the one guy I am racing for my Master's against might count (I will finish first).

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Great week Chris,

No real projects right now, but the bands talking about recording. I'm looking forward to that because it will help solidify some of our looser tunes.

I just found my cousins on FB, its been over 30 years since I saw them last.
...catching up in person will be fun.

Have a good weekend,
Elwood

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:35 am

That's a very touching song, Chris. Singing that song would be a tall order at a Memorial service, so my hat is off to you.

My one musical project that I am currently working on is the Al Coda Blues Project. This is a band that does instructional seminar/concerts in schools and libraries on the history of the Blues.

we have a show at 2:00 PM today at a local library -Kensington Park library here in Kensington, Md.

One of the guys in this band is my good friend John. We have been friends since 1970 and we were in bands in High school and after college. We did loose touch for awhile but we got back together in 2002 to play in a blues band. We are also in the Capital Blues Ensemble. He is the guy with the old Stratocaster.
He still plays better than any guitarist that I know.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:26 pm

Thanks Elwood, this was a fun week for me. I haven't done the
lunch report in a couple years and lost touch when the site changed.

Thanks for the kind words bassman, it was difficult to play and sing at
her services.
I love to see a good blues show, less show, more blues is my goal..
I got to see Robert Cray and BB King about a decade ago, that was great..
The instructional side must be fun...