Frightful Friday Lunch Report 10-29-10

Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:43 am

TGIF to all and thanks for helping me through the week. I will try and load the report to get us into the weekend.

Like the replies on travel guitars yesterday, and Tim, your Martin 5-16 GT suggestion looks very familiar to a "new arrival" I saw on the BBrothers page. 8-) Never thought of looking at those but that may be the way to go. I recall Ian Anderson playing a similar guitar.

Lunch today will be PB&J (crunchy pnut butter for me) some cheetos and a glass of coke zero.

Non- G&L question – Again staying with the Halloween theme, anyone going to or having a Halloween party?

Do you have a favorite Halloween candy?

Do you wear a costume?

I will be spending some time with friends who also have kids and wearing some medical scrubs, and go as Dr. Feelgood. :alright:
Candy for me can be anything as I do have a sweet tooth, but for Halloween I am a sucker for candy corn. Good ol' straight sugar to keep
me wired.

G&L / music topic- For those who perform, I am interested in what you use and like for loudspeakers and power amps. These days for me it's just jammin and no big production. My only experience goes WAY back and we used EV speakers and a Carvin power amp. Both did the trick and the Carvin gear was relatively new on the market but we found it easy, robust and functional. What are you using and are you satisfied?

This is another area that begs the question, should BBE look more into these product lines or is it too full to try and jump in?

As players we all gravitate to a few favorite songs to play, what are 3 or 4 songs you regularly play?
For me it seems to be, You Really Got Me (Kinks version), Eagles Already Gone or After the Thrill is Gone, House of the Rising Sun, and anything Beatle related.

Happy Birthday to Peter Green, Kevin Dubrow (Quiet Riot), Peter Timmins (Cowboy Junkies), Denny Laine (Wings/Moody Blues) and William Reid (Jesus and Mary Chain) :happyBD:

Hope ya all get more treats than tricks this weekend! :happy0065:

Re: Frightful Friday Lunch Report 10-29-10

Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:10 am

No halloween party here, no costumes, not really a favourite halloween candy.

For songs I play regularly, I probably have about 30 odd. The Trooper (Iron Maiden), Sultans of Swing (Dire Straits), and Memories (Joe Satriani) seem to come out a lot lately though. Good Week Sam, thanks for reporting for us. I have been a bit busy myself.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:16 am

Halloween Party? Halloween is one of my favorite holidays - has been since I was a kid but I now got kids and it is their day so I will taken them out trick or treatin'.

Favorite Halloween Candy - Hope my doctor is not on this forum but I have a thing for Charleston Chews with a Baby Ruth chaser.

Costume - Hell yeah. Just because I have kids don't mean I ain't gonna join in. This year I will be going out as a werewolf cowboy.

Am I satsifed gear wise? Yeah, would say so. After so many decades of gigging I have grown alot less picky so am easy to please. Either a lap steel or an old acoustic with a DeArmond 210 pickup plugged into a low power tube rectified amp.

G&L Branching out - Nah, let them keep doing what they do so well.

Favorite Songs - Hard one but these three have been with me since the 1960s: Mitch Ryder's "Devil With a Blue Dress" medley; Aretha's "Chain of Fools"; Bessie Smith's "Electric Chair Blues."

Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:53 pm

My kids are going to a couple Halloween parties...I might show up at one for a bit...or that might be a good time to crank the amplifier!! :mrgreen: No costume...almost didn't get anything for my girls, much less myself!!

I always enjoy candy corn this time of year...or pretty much anything Reese's related!

Don't perform, but for a basement banger, I'm actually pretty satisfied with what I've got...though I recently decided I'm going to pick up another G&L here before long...probably another Legacy.

Favorite songs...my go-to standards for many years have been Limelight by Rush, Escape by Journey, Rocket Launcher by Bruce Cockburnm, Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits. I've been trying to learn East Wes by Eric Johnson for years, but I'm beginning to doubt I'll ever have it down completely!!

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:50 pm

Favorite Halloween candy? Anything with chocolate. I'll definitely be raiding the kid's candy bag the next day. I have dressed up in the past to take the little one out trick or treating. But won't be doing it this year.

Favorite warm up song: prolly Neil Young Cinnamon Girl

It has been quite a while since I played out. But back in the day it was a mix of Carvin, Peavey, and of course some EV.

Since I'm catching up with yesterdays post...horror movies were never my thing. Alright, maybe some of those awesome/cheesy Godzilla movies.

And to stick with your Halloween themed week:
The former guitarist for Faith No More is now a competitive pumpkin farmer.
http://www.blender.com/guide/67487/life ... -more.html

good reports this week Sam. I haven't been around much this week as I had to drive "downtown" for work this week and haven't been getting home until pretty late.

Jeff

Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:38 pm

Fav Holloween candy= Twixt and Snickers bars with a few Peppermint Patties thrown in. I probably won't get any this year since my kids are now too old.

favorite song: Respect by Aretha Franklin.

Amp of choice: MarkBass LMII with separate 2x10 cabinet.

PA systems through the ages: Bogen, Kustom, Shure Vocalmaster; Tapco mixer with Crown power amps powering 4 Showman cabinets with hi freq horns, Bose 802s powered by Crown amp and Tapco mixer.
Peavey system with 2 SB2s and now a Bose L1 system or RAMSA cabinets powered buy some new biamp thing that I don't know about.

BBE should do amps if they want to but its a lot to get into and to commit to doing right.

Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:18 am

[quote="Muleya"

Favorite songs...my go-to standards for many years have been Limelight by Rush,[/quote]

Good one, one thing I neglected to put on my list was that an YYZ, they get a lot of play time along with Freewill. Can never go wrong with Rush.