Thursday Lunch Report 10-28-10

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:03 am

Inteersting finish to game 1 of the World Series, we'll see what tonight brings.

Lunch today will be a fun filled lunch with my youngest at her school. :banana: Working from home so I get to take advantage of things like that.

Non- G&L question – Staying with the halloween theme, who likes horror flicks? I grew up loving 'em. Creature from the Black Lagoon is my altime favorite. In the 80's and 90's I did watch the ones about Freddy, Halloween, Chucky, pinhead, the Phantasm series and re-watched Psycho. Blair Witch didn't do much for me. Kind of lost touch in the new millenium, any favorites from the past and new recommendations from the crowd?

G&L - Travel guitars, like ‘em, want ‘em, have ‘em?
As a regular traveler I have considered getting a small “travel guitar so I can play/practice more while on the road. I don't think of the Squire mini strats as true travel guitars, because they are not the right neck size and the build quality just ain't there. Guitars in current consideration are the Martin backpacker, Chiquita, Traveler or Hofner, anyone have experience with any of these?

How about a G&L "travel" guitar? Will Ray on a mini guitar would give Inspector Gadget a whole new perspective! :evilgrin:

Happy Birthday to Charlie Daniels, Hank Marvin, Wayne Fontana, Rick Reynolds (Black Oak Arkansas) and Curtis Lee

Re: Thursday Lunch Report 10-28-10

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:18 am

I would love to see a G&L travel guitar. Something that could live up to my expectations without breaking the bank. Steinberger is utter crap nowadays, so they are out. There are a few custom shops that due them, but we are taking 2.5kish, I won't pay that for a travel guitar (I have pretty much paid that on real ones though). Nowadays I do not travel much but I can see the need for them in the future. I agree they need to be full scale, otherwise practicing is near useless.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:32 am

School lunches; oh yeah! Visiting your kids in school is cool, except when it's to see the principal... Horror: "The Thing", "Evil Dead", "Hellraiser", "Big Trouble in Little China", "Dances With Wolves", "The English Patient". I'd like a travel guitar. Maybe one like Leo's pickup tester guitar (the one with the full size neck and the 2X4 body). Otherwise I have a little flight case for my LP.

Cheers,

Will

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:47 pm

willross wrote: Horror: "The Thing", "Evil Dead", "Hellraiser", "Big Trouble in Little China", "Dances With Wolves", "The English Patient".

I'll add Sofia Coppola's 'Marie Antoinette' to that. And 'Doubt'. BORING!

I've never been a huge fan of horror films. However, I LOVE David Cronenberg's remake of "The Fly". Jeff Goldblum's performance is exceptional, he's so disgusting!

I'm not sold on travel guitars, the size really throws me off. A local guitar maker, Maton, made an acoustic called the Baby Maton and they became very popular on the scene I was playing in as main guitars. Call me what you will but I don't like seeing a grown man playing such a small guitar. As a travel companion they make sense, I guess. When I was traveling through Europe I bought a really nice hand made classical guitar and it caused me no end of grief carrying it along with my backpack through the turn-styles in the London Underground.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:27 pm

Don't travel much anymore, so I don't really need a travel guitar. I have an old beat-up small-bodied Yamaha acoustic that I throw in the trunk sometimes. I've always wanted to try one of them little Martin things, though...

As far as horror flicks go, I never did like the genre. I don't care much for being scared, and I can't stand the sight of blood. I abhor violence and don't see the entertainment in it. That said, I really, really loved the Blair Witch Project. Besides being emotionally gripping and bloodless, much of it was filmed in the woods near where I live, which is kind of cool. - ed
Last edited by zapcosongs on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:08 pm

I had a Baby Taylor for a year or so, but sold it. Never really used it. I have my $225 Ibanez Artwood to take into places where I wouldn't want to take one of the Martin or Taylor dreadnoughts. I'm a big guy, and I want a big guitar. Baby Taylors are great for kids and beginning adult students. Never had a need for a electric travel guitar.

I really am not into horror movies. Never watched Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the 13th, or any of those.

I think the most horrifying movie I ever watched was probably "Saving Private Ryan". The opening scenes of the Omaha Beach landing are truly terrifying. I saw it in the theater when it first came out, and noticed several older men that I assumed were combat veterans, moved to tears by the end of the film. Those experiences have stayed with them for all these years, and I don't think any movie could accurately portray the terror they must have felt that day. And yet, they still moved forward and did their jobs.

Bless them all.

Bill

Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:28 pm

I don't do travel guitars but if a will ray came out I might have to...
How bout a travel amp by bbe with a boost, compressor and maximizer setting.... now
that would be cool (like a roland cube)

Baseball... watched it, don't really care... nuf said

Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:03 pm

Had a Reuben for lunch. It was great with a Iced Tea.

Haven't had any time to watch flicks in a long time. I get too busy in my hang out (Garage) to even watch TV. When a guy has this much fun you don't look for anything else!

Have no need for a travel guitar but both grand daughters have Baby Taylors. One is actually an American made and they are fun.

Friday tomorrow Sam, so hit us hard!!! --- Darwin

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:26 am

I'm not a big fan of horror flicks unless they involve aliens.
There is a new one coming out that looks intriguing.

Travel guitars-
I have a half size Harmony 6 string which sounds pretty good for what it is.

Travel basses- I have owned a Steinberger XP2 , which is a smallv shaped wood body with a graphite neck,for about 10 years and I just bought an original Steinberger L2 from 1983 which is totally graphite polymer plastic! The original Steinbergers are of a very high quality and they sound great. The current Steinbergers made by Gibson are a compromise at best and they are rather lacking in tone IMHO.

It is not a G&L sound but their compact size combined with a full 34 inch scale makes them the go to bass for travel situations. I also think that they are the ultimate pit band bass. I have played a few musicals where the band pit space was at a premium and I wish I had had a Steiny back then.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:51 pm

sam wrote:Non- G&L question – Staying with the halloween theme, who likes horror flicks?

Like with so many movies, my biggest problem is to suspend disbelieve. Ruins quite a lot of them, many times for stupid reasons, because they can just be enjoyable. But it is why I'm not into horror flicks, nor sci-fi, nor most action movies.

sam wrote:G&L - Travel guitars, like ‘em, want ‘em, have ‘em?

Like many other members on the forum, as it turns out, I have a Baby Taylor which is my most traveled guitar. It goes camping and joins me on any other trip I make. The fact that it came in the hard-shell case instead of gigbag is certainly helpful. I love that thing. I also have a Tacoma Papoose but it is just not as 'handy' and easy to tote around as the Baby.

sam wrote:How about a G&L "travel" guitar? Will Ray on a mini guitar would give Inspector Gadget a whole new perspective! :evilgrin:

Only when it works like a Swiss Army knife: you'll need to be able to fold it open. Maybe as a CCD model.

- Jos