Hallowednesday Lunch Report 10-27-10

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:58 am

Thanks for replies yesterday and some nice pics posted as well. I am in a bind this week
posting pictures as my Photobucket account is having issues,
so relying on pics from the field. :BadPC:

Lunch today will be Squash, greens with hot peppers, some grapes and a glass of tea. Going healthy today and eating the veggies.

Non- G&L question(s) –
#1 - Halloween is drawing near so my ghoulish question today is where were you
when you first got news of the demise of some of your favorite musicians?

Mine are:
John Lennon – morning news before school. Sad day, shared with a few Beatle fans at school.
Elvis – was on family vacation in the Ozarks and heard it on the news.
Stevie Ray Vaughn – in the car driving to Hilton Head for work at the time, can still pick the spot on the road when the radio announcement was made.
Jerry Garcia – at work and a musician friend came to give the news

#2 - With the Texas Rangers and San Francisco starting the World Series this evening,
are there any baseball fans tuned in? I am a fan and am looking forward to this series
since we have some new blood, the Rangers, in the mix and the Yankees aren’t in it.
Being a Dodger fan I have to be against the Yankees so New York fans don’t rail on me too much. Tonight’s pitching match up, Lee (TX) VS Lincecum (SF), should be extremely good.
:cheers:

G&L topic for the day - Is there a band you specifically looked up, did youtube or Amazon search specifically because they play G&L guitars/bass?
I have searched a few bands based on GLDP comments and the artist list on http://www.glguitars.com/artists/index.asp and a few I dig are: Umphrey’s McGee, Dillinger Escape Plan (saw on Letterman one night as well), Iron Maidens and Flipsyde

Happy Birthday to KK Downing (Judas Priest), Garry Tallent (Springsteen), Floyd Cramer, Scott Weiland (STP) and my brother! :happyBD:

Re: Hallowednesday Lunch Report 10-27-10

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:51 pm

John Lennon- I was in a basement recording studio doing a bass track for a guy who ended up not paying me for my work. We couldn't believe the news.

Elvis- I was at band practice at a drummer's house. (Aug 77)

SRV- I was at work I think. I don't remember the exact moment.

Jerry Garcia- I was on vacation at the Jersey Shore.

The World Series- I am going to root for the Rangers since they used to be the Washington Senators!

The last time the Giants were in the series- Didn't they have an earthquake in SF?

bassman

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm too young to remember those greats you mentioned but I can remember the passing of Chet Atkins quite well. I'd only just discovered his music and absolutely loved it. A couple of months later he was dead and it made the evening news all the way down here which really surprised me. I was in my final year of high school, I think. Then of course Michael Jackson. And Dimebag Darrell when he was shot - a friend rang me and told me that. I was a big Pantera fan in my teens and still have the DD Signature Washburn I got when I was 15!

Solomon Burke, the soul pioneer, passed very recently too. I was in my car when it was announced and the local radio station played a LOT of his music the following week. It was fantastic listening. Apparently he had 24 children to 7 different women!

I looked up Umphreys McGee after a recommendation from this forum. Not my cup of tea. Nor are Dillinger Escape Plan. I can honestly say that I haven't heard an artist (Will Ray aside) who plays a G&L that I actually enjoy listening too.

I wonder how old KK Downing is? He looks very old!

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:51 pm

No clue on musicians kicking off with me being around, I don't really keep up with that, and the bands I am very into are not dead yet. Except Maybe Dio, but I don't remember where I was, at home probably.

I have never looked up a band for having G&L instruments. I don't really care what bands play, I care how they sound.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:42 pm

#1) The only 1 I can really remember with any detail is the passing of John Lennon. I was driving in my car and I heard the DJ say something about the late John Lennon. I thought surely I must have misunderstood and he must have said the "great" John Lennon.

#2) World Series - guess I don't really care this year. Was just glad that the Yankees got knocked out of the running.

#3) The only artist I ever looked up based on the gear they played was Will Ray. And that was more due to the fact that folks on the forum raved about him and his signature ASAT. But I'm glad I did. I picked up a couple of his CDs based on my initial investigations.

Jeff

Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:37 pm

Favorite musician demise: Lennon - Getting dressed for an accounting class after a shower in my (shared) frat house room, I learned of the senseless and stunning loss of John Lennon. Jerry Garcia was sad, but in some ways not unexpected. Still, the Dead makes me smile.
I didn't know who SRV was when he died, but I do now. A great loss, but no specific terrible moment for me.
Lynyrd Skynyrd was plane creepy. I had just purchased Street Survivor the day before the crash. It turns out that (still unopened) album I had with the band in flames on the cover would be come something of a collectors' piece. Still, I cried that day and I wasn't sure why.
But I do know why now. In seventh grade, I absorbed a great body blow when I heard on the radio that Jim Croce had died in a small plane crash in Louisiana - along with his guitarist friend and band-mate Maury Mulheisen. http://www.jimcroce.com/maurymuehleisen.shtml. http://www.maurymuehleisen.com/

Hearing the song "Operator" in '72 helped me decide that I had to pick up guitar and need to write a song or four. Maury was only 24 and an integral part of what made Croce special when he went down in a storm with his best buddy Jim.

World Series: At the risk of dating myself (ha!), as a kid my dad took my brother and I to some Washington Senators games. We listened to their games religiously. In '71/72, the owner, a prick by the name of Robert (Bob) Short took my team to Texas. I haven't been able to help kind of following them ever since. This is their first series, so I'm happy to see SF fall (though perhaps not entirely into the ocean - this time ;+) - ed

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:32 pm

sam wrote:#1 - Halloween is drawing near so my ghoulish question today is where were you
when you first got news of the demise of some of your favorite musicians?

For me, I only remember two. Elvis, because he died on the first day back to high-school and heard it on the news when I got home. The other I truly remember is Keef Riffhard. I was happily playing 'Happy' on my ASAT Classic when my wife stormed into the music room. What? He's not dead yet? Oops.

sam wrote:#2 - With the Texas Rangers and San Francisco starting the World Series this evening,
are there any baseball fans tuned in?

I love this series. Finally a World Series void of East-Coast teams. May not be what the TV execs want but I have been pining for it. And I don't know who to root for. The Giants have Tim Lincecum who pitched for the UW Huskies, Texas has Cliff Lee (although strangely enough not on his game tonight) who started the season out as a Mariner. Beyond that, if Texas wins, the AL West will have the defending champion; always something that may inspire a team like the M's to do better (which should be easy enough). Both teams have great up and coming players. I foresee a great future for Ian Kinsler and Buster Posey. With names like that it is almost inevitable.

- Jos

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:42 pm

We all are affected, one way or another, by the loss of muscians we enjoy and most here have similar moments.

Ed, I cannot believe I forgot Skynyrd. Time in my life will always be there. In high school and my best friend called at some unbelievable morning hour (probably 6am :lol: ) and sent my mom to wake me. I woke to, "Lynyrd Skynyrd's dead! Lynyrd Skyrd's dead!" After shaking cobwebs and later in the morning I understood what happened, but talk about a way to wake up. Yep, Croce was a big influence.

blargfromouterspace, you definately hit a few biggies as well. Dime and Jackson were truly unexpected. And yes, KK is looking a bit older but at least he's still rocking.

bassman, I have some Senators baseball cards but was they were just a few years before my time so only know them by cards.

sirmyghin, like you I don't play instrument "ABC" because someone else does, but think that with the artist list at glguitars I might find a sound similar to what I am after, with the same guitar in my closet. I figure the artist list just gives bands I can dip into.

Jeff, bet the Yankees buy a few from these teams for next year. :shocked028:

Back to watching the Rangers have more trouble. :sick:

Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:46 am

sam wrote:
sirmyghin, like you I don't play instrument "ABC" because someone else does, but think that with the artist list at glguitars I might find a sound similar to what I am after, with the same guitar in my closet. I figure the artist list just gives bands I can dip into.

Sounds fun, I am not typically looking for music, as I have enough to keep up on nowadays. The other thing being I never think about something I am doing and try to mimic a tone, I just tweak my amps per song with a sound in my head, not a sound I have heard before necessarily.