Tuesday Lunch Report 10-26-10

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:25 am

First order of the day, there will be no trigger happy double entries for the LR today. :thumbup:

Lunch today will be some left over steak and salad with Coke zero.

Non G&L question – The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame have announced their nominations for 2011 inductees. According to their website Five to seven nominees are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

2011 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees:
Alice Cooper, Beastie Boys, Bon Jovi, Chic, Neil Diamond, Donovan, Dr. John, J. Geils Band,
LL Cool J, Darlene, Love, Laura Nyro, Donna Summer, Joe Tex, Tom Waits, Chuck Willis

Do you care or who do you think should be in?
In my opinion Alice should have been in ages ago. :fighting0030: Others from this list maybe Bon Jovi, Donovan and Joe Tex.

G&L topic - A lunch report from me cannot go long without discussing ASAT's. I am a card carrying ASAT fan, so when I saw the Tribute ASAT HB with coil tap, 13.25 radius and wiggle stick to boot that to me was a great addition to the tribby line. Has anyone here seen or played one? If so what is your impression?

With all the ASAT models which one do you prefer?

If your not an ASAT fan, which way do you lean and why?

For my preference I seem to always pick up the ASAT Z3 SH or an 88’ ASAT.
My guitar of choice my change at the end of this week however, an ASAT Jr. is on a truck headed my way!! Found her hiding online in a Guitar Center price drop.
I know, no picture, no guitar. :crazy:

Happy Birthday to Leslie West, and Keith Strickland (B-52’s)

Re: Tuesday Lunch Report 10-26-10

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:16 am

I don'tthink rappers should be admitted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
because rapping is not music IMHO.

LL Cool J and the Beastie Boys should be in a Rap Hall of fame, IMO.
Alice Cooper is overdue for admittance to the RRHF.

ASATs are cool but I do prefer the S-500 for verstility and comfort.

bassman

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:40 am

"2011 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees:
Alice Cooper, Beastie Boys, Bon Jovi, Chic, Neil Diamond, Donovan, Dr. John, J. Geils Band,
LL Cool J, Darlene, Love, Laura Nyro, Donna Summer, Joe Tex, Tom Waits, Chuck Willis"

Just because some but not all of these artists (and I use the word reluctantly) are part of the history of American music, they have not earned the right to be in the rock and roll hall of fame no more than they have earned the right to be in the country western hall of fame.
I guess the commitee wouldn't want to be accused of being politically incorrect.
Remember the Madonna fiasco a few years back?
Best rock and roll singer? Yeah right.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:51 am

Not touching the hall of fame stuff, as the place is a joke.

I might be a bit biased when I say the ASAT special is my favourite, maybe if I had a bluesboy my tune would change though.. hmmm... the Jr eh, sounds like a fun axe, they look pretty.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:02 pm

Sam, just had some carrot sticks and celery with dip for lunch. That has to be a shocker for me but it worked!

R and R hall of fame I have no opinion on. We have a Midwest R&R hall of fame and I have heard many who have expressed dissatisfaction as to how it is done.

ASATs. Good question. If I had to just have one ASAT it would either be my Z3 or my classic S. Either would work. I like all types of guitars except shredders. I stopped at the CG last Thursday to buy a Custom Shop 51 nocaster that they had not shown to anyone. I sat down and played it and the neck was like a baseball bat. l immediately decided against buying it. It was pristine but for all the different shaped and sized necks that I have, I had never seen anything close to this.
So ASATs are cool, but so are the rest of mine. I could not rate any one of them as my absolute favorite. Thanks for getting us home this week, Sam. :greet: Darwin.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:49 pm

ASATs: My '86 ASAT and my ASAT Bluesboy are my two favorite guitars. 'Nuff said.

Regarding the R&R HOF, until Tull gets in, the institution is a joke to me.

Have a great day! - ed

Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:59 pm

sam wrote:Non G&L question – The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame have announced their nominations for 2011 inductees.

2011 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees:
LL Cool J, Darlene, Love, Laura Nyro, Donna Summer, Joe Tex, Tom Waits, Chuck Willis

I've lived in rural Missouri for far too long! Who are Chic, Donovan, Darlene, Love, Laura Nyro, Joe Tex & Chuck Willis? I've never heard of any of those people.

sam wrote:Do you care or who do you think should be in?

It doesn't matter to me. I think Tull should be in like Zapco said!

sam wrote:
With all the ASAT models which one do you prefer?

My favorite Asat's are my '08 Asat Classic Custom and '87 Asat with added center pickup.

Sprinter 92

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Hey Sprinter.

I never get tired of seeing your modified '87 ASAT. I don't recall, did you do this before or after the Trinity came out? Also, I was wondering what body wood that is, and whether you've got a 5-way switch installed there (or something else). - ed

PS: Thanks for your support for J. Tull in the Hall.... Such a glaring oversight, given the "who dem?" acts that keep coming up for nomination....

Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:29 pm

zapcosongs wrote:Hey Sprinter.

I never get tired of seeing your modified '87 ASAT. I don't recall, did you do this before or after the Trinity came out? Also, I was wondering what body wood that is, and whether you've got a 5-way switch installed there (or something else). - ed

PS: Thanks for your support for J. Tull in the Hall.... Such a glaring oversight, given the "who dem?" acts that keep coming up for nomination....

The guitar was modified years ago. The hole in the pickguard and the body route are perfect. The only giveaway that it wasn't done by G&L is the lack of paint in the center pickup cavity. The body wood is ash and it does have a five way switch.

Sprinter 92

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:24 pm

Sprinter. You are most very modest for the guy who seems to have conceived the Trinity and then made it so. - ed
ps: Donovan is cool with me. But not before Tull, My God ;+)

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:12 pm

How could I forget Tull is not in the HOF, another fan here, saw them in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Maybe they are being kept out for the "Best Hard rock/metal grammy" fiasco in '91. :happy0007:

The "Hall" is a neat music museum but the election process is a bit questionable. I agree with ya bassman, Rap is not music. Maybe my Z3 is an attempt at getting to a S-500 body one day. :BadIdea:

Thanks for stoppin in Sprinter. I recall your post on the ASAT Custom when you first got it, I could be tempted to one of those as well. :searching:

Ed, I've seen yer Bluesboy, post a pic again, I never get tired of seeing that thing.

Darwinohm rabbit food and dip is probably what I need instead of the red meat, you can be an inspiration for tomorrow.

SJG, ya know you hit on the head. All this politically correctness isn't R&R. :evilgrin:

sirmyghin thanks, ASAT's...you can turn 'em up or you can chicken pick it. :alright:

Until tomorrow

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:44 pm

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:14 pm

zapcosongs wrote:Sprinter. You are most very modest for the guy who seems to have conceived the Trinity and then made it so. - ed
ps: Donovan is cool with me. But not before Tull, My God ;+)

Looks like an an ASAT Special modded to an S-3 to me (which the Trinity is based upon).

+1 for Jethro Tull.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:56 pm

If that's the choice then Dr. John should get in. The man is a genius. Can't say I've ever heard of Darlene or Laura Nyro. Chic? That's disco!!!!

I am dying to get my hands on an ASAT Special. It'll be my next guitar, without a doubt. For the moment I really like my semi-hollow Bluesboy, pictured here in the backyard of my new house (never mind the relic'd paint on the fence or the weeds, I haven't had time to get out there yet!). I've swapped the bridge pickup out for an OC Duff Plankster to get a more vintage feel. I really, really like semi hollow models. They resonate like mad which is a fantastic thing in my book.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:30 am

My Silver WR followed closely by my Asat special..

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:04 am

LL Cool J? Donna Summer?

That's not Rock 'n Roll. I don't think either person would feel offended if someone told them "That's not Rock 'n Roll". They'd probably be like, "Yeah."

As to bassman's comments about Rap not being music, I disagree. It's not Rock 'n Roll, but it is music.

As to the Beastie Boys, a favorite (top 500?) personal favorite Rock 'n Roll song for me is Sabotage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sbqIyeed4g

There's hip hop in there beyond the level of cues, but to me, that's Rock 'n Roll.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:42 am

RRHF? Don't care too much about it. Another marketing gimmick. And what are the criteria used to get in? Artistic level or influence on other artists? Then Tom Waits and Laura Nyro should be in. Popularity at some time? Then Alice Cooper should get in. Brill building songwriter? Neil Diamond. As I observe so many times, a thing like the RRHF can only happen in America where too many things are about 'winning'. Most other people in this world wouldn't give a hoot.

I love ASAT's for their shape and sound. They just seem to fit me well. My favorite ASAT? Hard to pick from my litter of 16. The all are dear to me. The once that get played the most are my ASAT Classic, Trinity, spalted Bluesboy, and '85 Broadcaster so maybe those are my faves.

- Jos

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:20 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:Can't say I've ever heard of Darlene ...

Pretty sure there's an extra comma in that list. Darlene Love was a key player in Phil Spector's stable of artists. Among others, she sang "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" which stands as my favorite seasonal tune of all time. She also, by all accounts, sang backup on any number of hits for which I'm sure she was never properly credited (never mind compensated).

I'm one of those who thinks the RnRHoF is pretty ridiculous, but it's nice to see her name in there.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:44 am

You are correct, my typo, should be Darlene Love.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:04 am

As to bassman's comments about Rap not being music, I disagree. It's not Rock 'n Roll, but it is music.

Well, rap is sound ordered in time, so I guess it fits the definition of music, but should these "Rap Artists" really be in the Rock and Roll HOF? I don't think so.

As to the Beastie Boys, a favorite (top 500?) personal favorite Rock 'n Roll song for me is Sabotage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sbqIyeed4g

There's hip hop in there beyond the level of cues, but to me, that's Rock 'n Roll.

I listened to and watched "Sabotage." Its an entertaining video with a good drum track and garbage guitar playing. It is rebellious and youth oriented but its really just a piece of crap. It not worthy of Rock and Roll HOF or even a Rap HOF. IMO

The Beastie Boys are entertainers, not musicians, and therefore they should not be in the RRHOF, but no one is going to listen to me.LOL

I feel that Jethro Tull or the New York Dolls and other great or obscure but influential rock and roll bands are much more deserving of induction than even some of the old Blues and Country Artists as well as Rappers who never played Rock and Roll!

The whole RR Hall of Fame thing is really just a travesty.IMHO

bassman