Monday Lunch Report 10-25-10

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:16 am

Hello campers, :greet:
Thanks to sirmyghin for asking me to pitch in this week after the prior week’s missed opportunity. Hopefully I can keep all entertained. I am Sam....no Dr Suess comments needed :lol: reporting from the Southland, not close enough to the ocean, but far enough away from the banjos in the mtns! Been allowed to hang around here for a number of years and keep learning more about G&L and guitars in general from many knowledgable folks that jump in. (newbies, lurkers and runaways let's hear from you)

Lunch today will be a bean burrito, apple and water, something quick and easy.

Non- G&L question – Many of us lament the desire to play loud/louder amps but living arrangement either kids in the house, spouse’s need for sleep or proximity of neighbors, I fall in the category of kids in the house needing sleep. But over the past year I have found some ways to reduce volume but keep tone and in one case, change tone.

For years I have tried to manage volume by adjusting amp and guitar volume knobs, but the first purchase this year was a Weber Mini-Mass attenuator. My original intent was to tame a Mesa F-50 and am very satisfied with the results. Can still get the "grind" without rattling the walls. I like the fact that that the minimass did not turn the sound into a dark muddy mess that I had heard abot some attenuators.

The second purchase was a set of “THD Yellow Jackets”. These are neat little EL-84 tube converters that allow me to go for more of a EL sound VS 6L6 in the Mesa and a Fender Blues Deluxe. They also take the wattage to about 16W, which is still plenty of volume. They are simple plug and play tubes. Take out your power tubes and put these in and you are ready to go. They sound better to me in the Fender than the Boogie. They add some nice chimey tone versus the richer 6L6. Don't believe anyone that says they will make your amp sound like a Vox, but very cool and inexpensive way to get multiple amps out of one.

The question to all (that share space) is, "how do you manage to play at a level that satisfies your desire for volume and still not disturb the rest of the inhabitants: smaller amp, attenuator, “yellow jackets”, or just try to manipulate the volume knobs on amp and guitar?

G&L question – GLDP V2 has been off to a great 7 month start in my opinion. Sure some growing pains and tweaks to be done but here’s to Craig and all participants!

What about the G&L Guitars page, http://www.glguitars.com, how often do you go there? I swing over there fairly regularly to check on any latest news, skim the artist list and see if there is anyone new or any I have forgotten about, look for shirts/swag, listen to audio clips and of course get the latest Will Ray clinic dates.

The audio clips are a fantastic means of hearing some different guitars/pickups. That Steve Trovato guy can really pick. ;)

Speaking of Will, any participants in last weeks three clinics tuned in today? Chime in let the rest of us know what we missed.

Happy Birthday’s go out to Glen Tipton (Judas Priest), Jon Anderson (Yes), Dale Griffin (Mott the Hoople) and Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Re: Monday Lunch Report 10-25-10

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:51 am

sam wrote:
The question to all (that share space) is, "how do you manage to play at a level that satisfies your desire for volume and still not disturb the rest of the inhabitants: smaller amp, attenuator, “yellow jackets”, or just try to manipulate the volume knobs on amp and guitar?

My home set-up for practicing and recording is:
Guitar > Stomp boxes > GT Trio preamp >
Behringer notepad mixer w/delay in the effects send/receive
HHB compressor > Lexicon MX400 reverb >
....then into Protools > monitors
I don't get power tube distortion but it's pretty good for practice , the room volume is completely independent from guitar tone.
I might have to try the THD Yellow Jackets , thanks for the heads up. I have a Groove Tubes Speaker Emulator that does a pretty good job attenuating an amps output, basically an attenuator with an EQ.
sam wrote:
What about the G&L Guitars page, http://www.glguitars.com, how often do you go there?

Rarely, watching for WR clinics alone (in the Seattle area...hint,hint )
is a good reason to check in more.

Great LR ...looking forward to more
Last edited by Elwood on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:52 am

[/quote]The question to all (that share space) is, "how do you manage to play at a level that satisfies your desire for volume and still not disturb the rest of the inhabitants: smaller amp, attenuator, “yellow jackets”, or just try to manipulate the volume knobs on amp and guitar?[/quote]

Well my 6L6 equipped Boogie Mark V has 10W mode, I can get great tones at any watt setting without rattling the walls though, sometimes I end up giving myself ear fatigue though, I am trying to find that sweet spot I had before I got my G&L, no ear fatigue but great tone. (it is a very fine line). I have considerred an attenuator, just to push er a little bit harder.

I got to the main GL site sometimes, but honestly there isn't too much there. Mostly if I need to check specs really quick, I am not buying right now so I don't frequent main guitar sites. The pictures on that site have never done a thing to affect my purpose, and when I go to a manufacturers website I go to see pretty pictures.

Off to a good start, and watch out for those banjoes!

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:19 pm

THose yellow jackets are very interesting - I think I'll have to get some of them and check 'em out. When I moved into an apartment at the beginning of last year I thought I'd be sensible and buy a small amp for home practice. I got a 5E3 clone from Ceriatone which i thought, at 12 watts, would be better than the 50W Marshall Vintage Modern I had at the time. It wasn't the right thing to do! Those things sound fantastic but they are LOUD! Even at 2 on the volume knob I was shaking the windows. It was only a couple of weeks ago now when I learned of the trick of turning the volume for the channel you're not using right up that I discovered how to use it at more apartment friendly practice levels. As nice as it is to play loud, you must be careful with you ears. Once your hearing goes you're not going to get it back. I try to think about that whenever I turn the volume up during practice!

I really like the F-series Mesa amps. I used to own an F-30 and just recently I have really been missing it!

I go to the G&L website quite a bit, mainly when I get in the mood to design another custom guitar from the options pages. I agree that the pictures there could be better. My major gripe is on the finish options page - it doesn't even have examples of all the finishes!

I read your Monday lunch report as I eat breakfast on a Tuesday!

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:43 pm

Hey Sam.

I need to keep a lid on volume here, as I typically play when the kids are in bed upstairs and sleeping. What do I do about it? I've been playing mostly acoustic guitar, that's what. Very recently, I did a deal with an extraordinary member here which brought to my door two vintage, low-powered amplifiers. I'm just beginning to explore these (I haven't even turned on of them on yet) and am thinking that they might well do the trick.

btw, those yellow jackets look very interesting. Thanks for bringing these to our attention.

Oh regarding the company web site, I don't honestly go there much. I have more guitars than I need (though I could use a bit of swag. Hmmm....) Maybe when they make a 5 Watt Whipper Snapper....... ;+)

Nice start! - ed

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Howdy Sam,
Most of my playing is in the man cave with the wife kid upstairs so I do need to watch the volume. Sometimes I use a pedal to get some grind at low volume. Sometimes I use the headphone out on the Tech 21. For a non-toob amp it really is a nice little practice amp.

I really don't get to the G&L site too often. Guess I probably should a little more often.

Jeff

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:17 pm

Thanks for the replies. Those on the left coast still have have time and night owls from other side you can still play.

Looks like a few Mesa fans. sirmyghin and the Mark V is on my envy list, that thing looks like it will do it all.

Repoman, the Tech 21 has great reviews, close to toob from what I've read. You reminded me I need some headphones, any recommendations?

The glguitars.com page could use some regular updates IMHO, I just wanted to see who was tuning in. I do look a few times a month to check on Will's schedule or hopefully find something new. I did get interested enough in the Iron Maidens to check out their web page, and the girls can rock! :luv: Ed, enough influence you could have something with a 5W Whipper Snapper, or "Little Snapper".

blargfromouterspace you make a great point about the finishes. I go there and put parts together. Maybe Darth or Steve will take heed. :evilgrin:

Elwood you seem to have it all together. Enlighten us on the Behringer notepad mixer, that sounds like a true winner. I am a plug and play guy, someone will have to give me tutorial on computer hook ups. :rolleyes:

The yellow jackets are cool option I recommend. For under $100 you can trick out a 6L6 or EL34 amp with the EL84 sound and a snappier tone. I will say taking a 40W Blues Deluxe or Mesa F-50 to about 16-20W is still loud, but fun!

Tune in tomorrow......teaser

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:20 am

Small amps are my answer to playing at home. They are what I use to play out too.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:20 am

Hey Sam,

First answered to the 'other' Monday LR report where it seemed awfully quiet. I thought it had something to do with attenuators gone wild ...

Which in my case are a pair of THD Hot Plates. I was living in an appartment when I got my Mesa TriAxis/Stereo 2:90 gear and thought it wise to not bother the neighbors (or the wife in the living room for that matter).
I love these things and have gravitated to softer volumes anyway. But now we live in a free standing house, it is still fun to blast out at full force once in a while.

I visit the G&L website at least twice a week just as part of my 'G&L routine'. Especially the CCD section where I read (and re-read) about their special models. It may not be as fancy as the PRS site, which I also frequent frequently, with its videos and what not, but the G&L site covers all the essentials: these are the models we produce with their specs, here is some stuff and parts that you can buy, and here is some news.

- Jos