Two-Step Thursday Lunch Report!

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:57 am

Hey Everyone,

No clue what lunch will be today, probably a bagel and cream cheese, feeling a bit lazy.

Today for G&L, bridges seems a good topic.

My experience is with the saddle lock bridge, and I must say it had some hurdles. When doing the set up and first engaging the lock, it lifted some saddles and caused no long sitting screws to vibrate like the dickens. Once I found this out though, I could not be happier. A nice solid bridge, looks well constructed, but I cannot say for sure if it helps sustain. This guitar has no lack of it however. My one beef with the bridge is the intonation screws are pretty tricky to get at. I don't think they should be sunk like they are, but flush with the back surface, that would make the task a lot less tenuous as you could see what you are doing. What is your favourite G&L bridge, and what improvements would you make to it?
Edit: I would also like this baby to be strung through the body, as I like string through.

So I suppose the irony of me running lunch reports (and actually enjoying them) is I am a highly introverted dude. I spend the majority of my time alone and enjoy it that way. This can be tricky in a relationship as sometimes I just need to get that alone recharge time, or I get right drained. A few hours with company is alright but I am beat after that. I find constant exposure to people to be one of the most draining experiences I have, I am not energized by it in the least. I guess there is a bit of a disconnect doing this as I can toggle you folks on an off (hehe click!). Would you classify yourself as an introvert or an extrovert? (getting all deep thinking here, ooooh).

Seeing as metal was such a hit yesterday, lets take it to the other extreme. Country and Bluegrass. I really like bluegrass, the players are often astounding and ever so tight. I wish I could play the banjo like so many old recordings, but the neck and string spacing on the thing does not get along with my hands. So my band collects dust. I could do the right hand rolls find but that was it. So I gravitate to country chicken picking. I grew up listening to country as that is what my mother did. I like bands like Alabama, Brooks and Dunn, Diamond Rio. Then you have the amazing pickers like Mason, Gaton and Paisley, not to mention Will Ray (Seriously Hellecasters Orange Blossom Special blows my mind every time I hear it, not really country but telecasters are good enough for me, and the style playing is sort of there, probably more aptly fusion, which is tomorrows bill). These guys can get just as nasty as any shredder, but don't have the same stigma against them (always wondered why really). Not a fan of the pop country for the most part, and often appreciate the old stuff like Cash and Nelson. Going back as far as Hank Williams Jr however, I'll pass thanks, that voice is a bit odd. Rockabilly is also some awesome stuff, although not one of my heavy influences, I am a sucker for good players of any type. I figure this will garner a bit more chime, where are our country players?

Have a good thursday everyone, we're almost there.

Kyle

Re: Two-Step Thursday Lunch Report!

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:14 am

Kyle, bridges, again an interesting topic. I just saw a Spalted Carvin CT with a Floyd bridge and Locking nut. I would be all over this one if it were not for the Floyd. I have a Floyd and it is perfect for the shredder who wants a wide range in vibrato. I am the other way. I am a vibrato guy and the DF is hard to beat. But, you cannot compare anything to the Bigsby for fine control. Many people on this board do not like them. You can throw a Bigsby on almost anything and it will look cool. This is especially true for a T-type guitar. I am not fond of the vintage F or G&L type bridge used on the Asat's, especially the three saddle type. I much prefer the Saddle Lock to the vintage. I have a Fender Aerodyne tele in black that is getting a Bigsby, along with my Classic S and probably my Bluesboy. I am sure planning way ahead for a guy my age! When fully retired, I will need to keep out of Ginnys way and hanging out in my heated garage, with these projects, will do that.

New subject, for here I believe, is do we like to hang around others or have alone time. I am guilty of hanging around others. I will stop by the local GC just to shoot the breeze with the salesman and manager. They also treat me well. Many have commented that the GC is not a good place to trade. Usually if I trade they may have a buyer lined up before it happens. They also give me fair value and I know that that is not common. Relationships do ultimately mean something and I am one of their best customers as far as buying something. They probably do this to get rid of me. They also know that there is no risk in dealing with me as I represent my offerings fairly and nothing that I have traded has lasted more than a few days. It works both ways.

Yesterday I made the confession about being in a rut. Today we are talking my kind of stuff. Old Rock, Old Country. It doesn't get much better. This becomes apparent when the young ones at our gigs are bopping with the best. They do not know the songs but it sure makes them shake. Then there are the other groups of people who do not dance, but sit at a table up to the very end of the evening , singing along and smiling. The cream on the top is when someone stops up at the end and wants to know how they can book us. This is a good thing because we have an agreement in the band that no one is allowed to croak if we have a future commitment. You can croak if there are no future gigs. This keeps us around and keeps us working. How can you argue with logic like that!--- Darwin :shocked028:

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:18 am

sirmyghin wrote:My experience is with the saddle lock bridge, and I must say it had some hurdles. When doing the set up and first engaging the lock, it lifted some saddles and caused no long sitting screws to vibrate like the dickens. Once I found this out though, I could not be happier.

This isn't an uncommon problem. A saddle's sides are square to the bottom and parallel to each other, and a line of them pressed together works as designed to create an assembly that becomes one with the bridge plate. Usually. If any of the saddles get adjusted in such a way that they are not level relative to the bridge plate, their sides won't be parallel to the adjacent saddle sides and tightening the saddle lock screw will tend to force them into being parallel. This will lift one or more saddles and leave you with a vibration. The Saddle Lock bridge will also not be working as designed to make that massive cohesive unit it should be making.

A nice solid bridge, looks well constructed, but I cannot say for sure if it helps sustain. This guitar has no lack of it however.

This is a function of the bridge design and how well it is attached to the body. It's pretty massive, has the bridge tenon and the Saddle Lock. These are all sustain makers.

My one beef with the bridge is the intonation screws are pretty tricky to get at. I don't think they should be sunk like they are, but flush with the back surface, that would make the task a lot less tenuous as you could see what you are doing. What is your favourite G&L bridge, and what improvements would you make to it?

Yeah, but if those screws hung out the back it'll look all cobby & stuff. Besides, if you stay with a given string brand/type/gauge a single intonation adjustment should last a long time. Improvements? Nah. So long as it's well-attached, it's a damned fine bridge.

Ken...

Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:00 pm

Ken Baker wrote:
Yeah, but if those screws hung out the back it'll look all cobby & stuff.

I would argue functionality is far more important, they could be nearly flush to boot, maybe even slightly recessed the 1/8 to 3/16 they are now though gives you no line of sight which leads to dinking. The only screw drivers I can get at em with are glasses screw drivers to boot.

Darwin- you mention floyd, I love my floyd. I can set it up and tear it down in a pinch, all comes with practice I guess. I do not however like bigsby trems. A they are huge, B they don't do anything I can't do with my fingers, C they are huge. I will have to try a Dual fulcrum one day, maybe in a few guitars (my next is guaranteed to be a 7).

Good to know you guys aren't allowed to die :P

Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:53 pm

Kyle, guys my age are kind of classic like the old cars. They all had beautiful hood ornaments and ornamental taillights. Maybe thats why I like these Bigsbys. You can see them coming. Unlike classic cars, guys my age cannot be rebuilt and restored. We continue to suffer day after day for running low on oil, and not keeping the coolant up to level. I even have a fouled plug now and then. -- Darwin

Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:28 pm

Bridges. Hmm. My favourite is the standard telecaster bridge with three compensated brass saddles (the Glendale saddles are fantastic, if not a little pricey). There's something about the utter simplicity of the design that really appeals. I like the ones that come standard on the ASAT classic, but much prefer three saddles to six. Why, you ask? Having three saddles, as I see it, causes more downward pressure to the bridge plate as there are two strings per saddle as opposed to one on a six saddle bridge. Then there's the height adjustment screws too - again, on a six saddle bridge each string has to work to vibrate two screws and the entire saddle before any 'tone' is transferred to the body. I've always felt that the strings going through the body can only be a good thing, perhaps helping the entire plank to resonate. I don't own a guitar with the saddle lock bridge, but once had an L-2000 with the bass equivalent and it was a fantastic piece of hardware.

As far as vibrato bridges go, I'm with Darwin - I like a Bigsby. I think they look very cool and, for my needs, are perfectly suitable. They encourage me to use it as subtly as possible in order to keep it in tune. There's no questioning the functionality of the Floyd Rose, but I find it a PITA to change strings and deal with breakages. Still, I'd take a fixed bridge any day!

I can totally understand that you enjoy your time alone - everybody needs that in differing amounts. I like time by myself - it gives me a chance to catch up on things that aren't necessarily interesting to others - for example, practicing or uni work as I know you'll understand Kyle! There have been times in my life where I've led a very solitary existence, with no friends or family around me. These have been mainly due to work and I find these times very good for 'looking inside yourself', for lack of a better phrase, and generally come back home with a wine stained notebook full of scribbled lyrics. I've always been ecstatically happy to see those dear to me at the end of these stints.

I'm enjoying your reports Kyle, good work!

Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:17 pm

great report...
The Saddle lock bridge is my favorite fixed bridge.
To adjust the intonation screws I loosen the string and get a long
driver tip made for a cordless drill or a small pack of stanley
screwdrivers http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-66-052-6- ... 570&sr=1-1

Doug 7 has great instructional country vids covering and explaining many
styles (in his own way). I worked with a guy that told me the three best
guitar players were.. Chet Atkins... (ok I can understand that) Elvis (huh?)
and George Thorogood... Can't argue with Chet, Elvis had a great voice and
the guitar looked good hanging in front of him while he strummed, George T.
even says he picked up slide because it was too hard to play a guitar normal.
Roy Clark didn't make his list because he didn't like his voice, which of course
has little to do with his playing (I liked his voice and it's strined sound).

Again, great report.. Brought back a lot of memories (mostly good)..

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:10 pm

Blarg - That is the first reasonable reason I have heard for multiple strings per barrel/saddle. Still don't like em though :P

Chris - thanks for the driver tip. As for Doug 7 stuff I tried vol 1 download for 10$ and liked it, the wife bought me his discounted full set for my birthday. I am currently working on volume 4 and the song burp rag from Volume 3. The methods are interesting, but I don't do them his way either, so in a sense it is my way of his way of someone elses way. I have pretty strong alternate picking, so I probably use my fingers a bit less overall, but the ideas he throws out there, ways to get around, and approaches are pretty good. He is very down to earth and easy to follow. Elvis a great guitar player eh? Elvis was a guitar owner, not a guitar player :P. (not a dig, but he didn't play at all in my book) Chet is good stuff though.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:36 pm

Never spent a whole lotta time pondering bridges so have no opinion. I have liked too many guitars with all kinds of bridges.

Time alone - I love it. And I do enjoy picking up a guitar in the dead of night when it is quiet and playing. But I have learned alot from playing with others and really enjoy the interaction with other musicians. It is just something I still need.

Country and Bluegrass. Ain't got no stomach of what passes as country these days - sounds like bad 1970s southern rock with a fiddle or pedal steel thrown in. Bluegrass - there are a few things I like - seems to be mostly the slower stuff but I am really not much of a fan. Some of the newer stuff coming out though has gotten me interested.