Lowender Lunch Report -Wed 10-13-10

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:24 pm

Good afternoon,
I'm a little late today, I was up later than normal watching the Chilean miner rescue,
it's amazing we can locate and rescue folks trapped over 2,000 feet under the ground.

Lunch for me will be light, maybe just a PB&J on homemade sourdough wheat with Almond milk .

I thought I'd keep the tradition of Bass themes on Wednesdays going.
I started playing a little bass when I started home recording with a Fostex 4-track (in the late 80's), that allowed me a little comfort with the instrument... so when opportunities to play bass in a band came up I could step in.
I have learned alot since then about the function of the bass in a live situation...and have learned to really appreciate bassists who hold down the beat with easy going minimalistic playing, especially if they are playing with fingers as opposed to a pick.
I'm not yet one of those guys but I'll keep at it.

I don't usually hear about what the lowenders here are using for amplification,
so if you are inclined , please don't hesitate to share.

Here's a picture of my current bass rig:

My signal path is :
Tuner> GrooveTubes Trio preamp > Alembic F-1X preamp
>Alembic SF-2 equalizer> Lexicon MX400 digital effects > Stewart World 2.1 power amp

...after the F1-X the signal is split with an active crossover , the Lows are sent to the 15" JBL on the bottom and the highs are sent to the Eminence 12" on the top.

I added the Trio preamp to the rig for because the crunch channel produces one of the best bass overdrive sounds I've heard..plenty of bottom end ( I have to dial the bass back a bit usually) and balls to wall smooth distortion for our heavier tunes. It was designed for guitar , I know Jerry Garcia used them in the late 80's for the pristine clean sound they give in the clean channel.

The bottom cab is from a rig used in the 70's by my friend who still does some live sound. He toured with Merrilee rush and Bob Marley for a while. Loaded with vintage JBLs they sound magical and turned up they will make your eyeballs shake. : )

Here's a picture of a show we did this summer, we re-did sixteen of them (plus the mid boxes and horns )
Powered with about 7000 watts of power amps it is a sweet and powerful rig.

I am using my Alembic Exploiter as my main bass, but my L-1000 with an SB-2 neck is never far away in case a string breaks or the battery dies during a show.

One of my scores on ebay years ago was an Alembic bass case that was used for one
of Entwistle 's Exploiters, mine barely fits as a medium scale ...gotta love that purple interior.

Ox and his Exploiter :

I am inspired by all kind of bassists, and am amazed at the talent out there that deserves more attention.
Here's a guy that I came across on youtube yesterday, he inspired me to practice some two hand tapping, something I enjoy listening to but haven't put in the hours to feel confident at a gig.
[youtube]iy3V2Tl4g3s[/youtube]

Who inspires you as a bassist?

We are without a lead guitarist right now and our rhythm guitarist isn't stepping up to the plate as fast as we had hoped...so that inspired me to blow the dust off of my double neck and see if I could fill in a few licks between bass notes...it looks like I'll be practicing two hand tapping to make it worth strapping on a 16lb instrument : )

I know of one double neck G&L... but I'd love to see them attempt a double neck that was inspired by there production models ...maybe an S-500 paired with an ASAT classic with the boxed bridge ?

G&L content:
I try to use most my instruments so they aren't complete closet queens, but I'll admit I haven't given my fretless L-2000 enough attention. She is pretty minty and I want to keep her that way.

I'm getting better playing with my lined fretless Modulus , I'm still intimidated a little with the unlined fretless basses...but I'm sure the only way to get past that is to put in the practice time.
For those of you who play fretless...are there any tips you can give to ease the learning curve a bit?

Here's another G&L that I am eager to use live :

I could see the L-5000 replacing the Alembic as my main gigging bass...I need to get used to having a 'B' string before I take her out for gigs.

I was lucky enough one late night on ebay to make this catch...the second Mesa Boogie ever produced , circa 1970. She still sounds great. The story goes at one point it was found sitting in the electronics section at a SanFrancisco Goodwill.

I'd love to see more pictures of the basses out there...I know we posted alot of shots last week with Darwins lunch reports...but I bet there are a few more pictures we haven't seen to drool over.

I'll wrap it up today with another abstract painting, I'm inspired by the warm responses I received yesterday.
This one was inspired by what I thought it might be like to be in Frank Zappa's head while he's doing a show.

I apologize for the lateness today,
thanks for checking in,
Elwood

Re: Lowender Lunch Report -Wed 10-13-10

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:01 pm

For a guy who plays "a little bass" those are some sweet instruments, Elwood. I've been tempted to pull the trigger on a double-neck a few times, but the reality of my playing situation (that being that I really have no legit use for one) has always brought me back from the brink. Now, if G&L made one? Hmmm ... I might just have to get one just for grins.

I have several basses, but my amplification setup is pretty simple. These days I'm playing mostly through a Markbass LMIII into an Avatar 2x12 4 Ohm cab. The cab's one of the newer neo job's so the whole setup is nice and portable. My other amp is an old SWR Studio 220 and I tend to play through a SansAmp BDDI when I use that one (which hasn't happened much lately). Actually, sometimes I use the SansAmp with the LMIII, but it doesn't quite benefit as much from it as the SWR does. A few years ago, when I was playing in a loud obnoxious hard rock outfit, I had an SWR Bass 750 going into their 6x10, but after that band split up I decided I was getting to old to haul a fridge around to every gig. My back has thanked me ever since, and I find I get plenty of power from the LMIII/Avatar match-up (the SWR is usually *just* beefy enough for all but large venue gigs).

That's a sweet score on the Boogie. I sometimes wonder how many amazing pieces of gear have been rescued from Goodwill and similar places over the years. I hear stories all the time but, sadly, I'm never the guy telling them.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Nice basses Elwood. Although I am inclined to disagree about just holding down the beat and minimalist playing. At that point you are holding the music back by not really contributing anything, you could add a bit of spice and really open it up. Also minimalist playing is boring as .... .... .... I find real minimalist playing tends to be missing something, and is redundant as between rhythm guitar and drums you are adding 0.

My bass rig is a Fender BXR 100, it has never let me down. I could use something, more, both TC electronic and MarkBass currently interest me.

You mentioned breaking a string, on a bass? I have heard of these fabled people but never in my 10 years have I broken a single string. I play pretty aggressively, I play slap and pop, I tap, you name it. I have never, ever broken a single bass string. How the heck do people manage that? Infact ever since I have had a pro quality guitar, I have never broken a string on those either, playing metal, rock, whammying to heck... My picks are stone too.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:44 pm

sirmyghin wrote:Nice basses Elwood. Although I am inclined to disagree about just holding down the beat and minimalist playing. At that point you are holding the music back by not really contributing anything, you could add a bit of spice and really open it up. Also minimalist playing is boring as .... .... .... I find real minimalist playing tends to be missing something, and is redundant as between rhythm guitar and drums you are adding 0.

I guess the reason I am impressed by the minimalistic thing is because I don't/can't play that way. I'm beginning to find the balance between holding down the groove and spicing things up,
as a guitarist I tend to make things very spicy on bass...it's good to know there are folks out there that like it hot!

sirmyghin wrote:
You mentioned breaking a string, on a bass? I have heard of these fabled people but never in my 10 years have I broken a single string. I play pretty aggressively, I play slap and pop, I tap, you name it. I have never, ever broken a single bass string. How the heck do people manage that? Infact ever since I have had a pro quality guitar, I have never broken a string on those either, playing metal, rock, whammying to heck... My picks are stone too.

I broke an A string at practice a while back...surprised the hell out of me especially since I just picked it lightly...for one reason or another it was it's time. I do a bit of manhandling the G string for solos including deep bends so I always figure if I end up breaking one it would be the high string.
My guitarist breaks strings like crazy...I'm not sure why either...maybe it has do with respecting the instrument before you put it through the ringer for musics sake.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:51 pm

Madcity Fats wrote:
I have several basses, but my amplification setup is pretty simple. These days I'm playing mostly through a Markbass LMIII into an Avatar 2x12 4 Ohm cab. The cab's one of the newer neo job's so the whole setup is nice and portable.

I've heard great things about the Markbass line...and for shows with sound support and good monitors smaller seems to be better, both on your back and for the sound in general. The FOH mixes always are cleaner when stage volumes aren't out of hand..drum mics aren't picking up stray sounds as much, etc.

I bet another 5 years and I'll be buying some neo's for a small rig...pretty amazing that they perform really well with such a small magnet mass.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:06 pm

Elwood wrote:I guess the reason I am impressed by the minimalistic thing is because I don't/can't play that way. I'm beginning to find the balance between holding down the groove and spicing things up,
as a guitarist I tend to make things very spicy on bass...it's good to know there are folks out there that like it hot!

Fair enough, I went the other way so I can do it, I just don't like to. Last band I played in pretty much had a rhythm guitarist who sometimes did leads, me and a drummer (and a vocalist but they aren't musicians , at least this one wasn't). So I was in a role akin to the Ox, who you appropriately posted earlier. That was a lot of fun. The guitarist used big full chords and variants, while I literally destroyed the low end between groove and fills, making it all flow like butter. That is how I like to play as it is actually enjoyable. Just the groove can be some of the most dull stuff ever, reminds me of modern punk. I am at a point where I spice up other people guitar solos and such now too, so it is coming nicely, into my own world I guess. One groovy bass player I can appreciate though are Cormick and Hammond (Jethro tull) hardly minimalist players but man they had it going on.

I broke an A string at practice a while back...surprised the hell out of me especially since I just picked it lightly...for one reason or another it was it's time. I do a bit of manhandling the G string for solos including deep bends so I always figure if I end up breaking one it would be the high string.
My guitarist breaks strings like crazy...I'm not sure why either...maybe it has do with respecting the instrument before you put it through the ringer for musics sake.

I once heard of a guy who would break strings finger playing, on the contact area (not nut or bridge) and he claims he played lightly. I am continually baffled. The strings I learned bass on had been on the bass since 75 to boot (and I put another year or so on em).
Can't help you on guitar, but it seems like lots of folks break strings there at least.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:35 pm

Elwood, an interesting Bass rig you have. There is a lot to cable up but I bet it is dynamite. At my age I look at your summer show setup and my back hurts. That is a hefty setup with a lot of power. It is really good sound if you don't have too work everything hard. I bet you get a clear, clean sound. Your art picture today is great! After this week you may be in a new business. Thanks for the Lowender Wednesday. Great way to highlight the middle of the week. The lead players are always out there scouting the dollies. The lowender is always out there doing his job well, just keeping the groove.

You are right. There has not been a lot of talk about bass amps. The new Mark Bass stuff looks interesting to me. I probably will not upgrade from what I have because for a larger venue I use two amps and the PA. I often use a SWR workingmans15 with an extension 15. I also have a workingmans 2004 head that I use with a Goliath II 4-10 cabinet. The problem is that cabinet is about a 100 pounds. If I am outside I will master/slave those two amps and use a channel in the PA. There are times when I use the 2004 head, goliath 4/10 with the 15 extension. Either way they are somewhat heavy. Wouldn't some young roadies be nice? I have had visions of a SVT and an 8x10 cabinet but it won't fit in my Olds 98 and I couldn't lift it. Probably similar to what I would do with a 20 something bombshell.

Your guitars are beautiful. I love the Leo Signature and your other basses. I have really grown fond of 5 string and seldom play 4 string. Speaking of Fretless I see that yours doesn't have lines either. That is a nice rosewood board. I wish mine did as I play a bit zoomy while searching for the spot. The solution would be for me to fret mine. I hate to do that to the ebony board. Decisions that are way out in the future for a retired guy. Great week so far Elwood-- Darwin :banana:

Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

darwinohm wrote:Elwood, an interesting Bass rig you have. There is a lot to cable up but I bet it is dynamite. At my age I look at your summer show setup and my back hurts. That is a hefty setup with a lot of power. It is really good sound if you don't have too work everything hard. I bet you get a clear, clean sound.

Your right, since it's somewhat modular I have to recable at each setup...I've gotten quick at it and it keeps sharp before a show : ) ...the upside is I can roll it in in pieces so I don't have to move a cab like the ampeg 8 x 10's...still each time a band member helps me load/unload I inevitably hear " Man, this is heavy"...the purpleheart boogie cab is insanely heavy for it's size
but its rock solid so it projects very well.
I can't afford a gym membership right now so I depend on my work in live sound to keep me fit. :D
darwinohm wrote:Your art picture today is great! After this week you may be in a new business.

Wouldn't that be something! thanks Darwin

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:35 pm

Nice bass rig and amazing outdoor PA system. I'm glad that you are moving it and not me!

I usually just need a 2x10 cabinet and a small head like the Ampeg PB 250:

Here is me playing my Lynx bass. It sounds very good!

I really dig your Emerald Blue L-5000.

I will have to take out mine for some gigging soon.

bassman

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:19 pm

bassman wrote:Nice bass rig and amazing outdoor PA system. I'm glad that you are moving it and not me!

bassman

Thanks, I learned pretty quick that wheels are are a roadies best friend.

That's a great looking Lynx. I had an interceptor bass with those pickups...if I remember right they give a nice definition to the sound.

...quite an intriguing pepto bismal color on that strat, I like it.

I bet I'll end up with a smaller rig after I haul this one around for a while, my fear is that I'll want to add to it.

Gotta love those ampegs...

Thanks for the reply Bassman !

Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:00 pm

I don't play a lot of bass but in honor of Lowender Wed I thought you guys would appreciate a bit
of an odd one. Not a G & L but cool nonetheless.
It's Precision A/E. Spruce top and hollow walnut body. Piezo and mag pickups.
I was playing a fair amount of jazz combo gigs at the time.
Played through a my Centaur Acoustic amp with a single 15 and tweaters it got a great
upright bass tone.
Sold it a while ago when bass gigs dried up.
I still have my fretless jazz if i need it.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:56 pm

Sorry for the tardy reply. it's been one helluva week. Day jobs can be a real PITA some times...

Here's my little guy:

BBE BMax into a Stewart World 1.2. This feeds the home brew (but based on Epifani UL-112s) cabs. Some serious grunt there and they only weight 35 pounds each. I've since added a BBE EQA215 for a little easier tone tailoring.

Ken...