Late Saturday Lunch Report 09/09/10- Fire Me No More

Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:11 pm

I thought I would use this to answer some questions from yesterdays lunch report and post something different.

Ginny and I had a late breakfast "up Nort" from our grill on the deck. It was Bacon, American Fries from baked potatoes that I made on the grill last night and fried eggs. We pulled through the DQ for a cone on the way home. And I got to thinking that I'm not fired as LR until Sunday night.

I can't say much about G&L that I and others haven't already said this week. Some of you commented on the empty hanger and the Fender Custom Shop Cert. I moved others out and grouped the G&Ls together. I think I have 23 on the wall and that shot was the 10 G&LS. The license fee for the MP3 in Pro Tools is only $25. I am doing that. Bassman had comments on the Saddle Lock and Strap Locks. I do believe that by locking the saddles together would help tone transfer in theory but not being an engineer I do not know. His point on the part that is mounted on the strap for the straplocks, hitting the guitar and doing damage is a good point. That is exactly what will happen. I take extreme care when connecting the lock. The strap button on my Parker is extremely to get the strap onto. It will never fail. Thank all of you for you comments.

Not being Fired from the LR duties until Sunday night leads right into the next subject. I think that some of you may relate to this in hard economic times.

I HAVE BEEN FIRED FOR THE LAST TIME!!!! Actually it is official that I am now retired. I fired myself as I was my own boss. I worked in the computer business for 37 years and in 2002 my whole group was eliminated to downsizing. I had been offered a buyout twice before that but in the end was better off taking the severance package. Besides, I could tell people that I was fired and watch their jaw drop! I did not feel bad, or take it personal but took the whole summer, playing golf of course, figuring out what I wanted to do in my next life. Number one, I was going to be my own boss. I took pride in becoming the "Poor Heater Salesman". A friend of mine had a side business that he was trying to develop as a distributer for Radiant Tube Heaters. I told him that I wanted too develop the business for him. It was on a hand shake, no contract, commission only and I started calling on contractors. That was in 2002 and I had no intention of going this long. I will tell you that my competition will not miss me a great deal. The economy is soft and I talked myself right out of a job. They need to maximize their business in this economy and not share commission with me. Damn, I feel good. So for those of you who may be having hard times, hang in there and don't be afraid to try something different. Have faith in yourself and it can be amazing what you can accomplish. My challenge now will be to stay out of Ginnys way so she doesn't downsize me. I will be back to the recording now. Is that fun or what????

So thanks again for the fun week and Elwood will be doin' it to you next week. :shocked028: Think I'll have a cold one! By the way, if you do a lunch report in the future , please put the date and day of the week on it so I WILL KNOW WHAT DAY IT IS!--- Darwin

Re: Late Saturday Lunch Report 09/09/10- Fire Me No More

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:09 pm

yaaaayy bacon!
[youtube]CaK9bjLy3v4[/youtube]

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Great story Darwin! And good advice. It is always good to believe in yourself because if your don't nobody else might do it either. And there are still opportunities aplenty, even in this economy. For instance, I changed jobs twice in the last 2 years, all on my own initiative, and cannot say I didn't fare well even in these times.

Now you're retired, your instruments will be able to get even more attention. But don't neglect Ginny will ya ;)

- Jos

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Fantastic week (as usual) Darwin.
Wish I had more time to participate, but I did check in every day. Your collection of instruments - like your many insights and interesting experiences - is truly amazing. For a guy that will never be fired again, you rock! - ed
PS: How do you make fries from a baked potato, and where in the world did you find a lady like Ginny? Truly, she must be heaven-sent..

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:14 pm

HEy Darwin,

Congrats on your recent career move - Nicely Done! Hope you enjoy your new "life".

I didn't have time earlier this week but have some now...

A few pics of my recently put together "SCASAT-3 ('88 refin SC-3 w/ an '87 ASAT neck which I got from a fellow board member) Turned out Nice!
She plays Great & the Stock Skyhawk Pu's sound Fab!

[timage=]Image[/timage]

[timage=]Image[/timage]

[timage=]Image[/timage]

She has 70's Fender Tele Knobs as that's all I had in the chrome-plated knob depart. A bit taller but easier to grab a hold of.

Nice Job on the reports this week!

Cheers,

Kf

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:00 pm

Neat Story Darwin, I am hiding from the poor economy and settling for a less than optimal pay to begin (this actually takes about 12-15 years to make up the difference to someone not hired in a recession, according to my economics prof) and am hiding in grad school. So when things do pick up, I am ahead of the game with different skills (and at least in my area, geotechnical engineering is not a choice grads go for, its structures and enviro/water. Soils courses are something they had to take on the a way).

Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:04 pm

Congratulations on your retirement, Darwin! I work at a small Chevrolet dealership in northwest Missouri and business the over the past six months has been booming on both the sales and service side. I hope business keeps up but I'm not sure if it will.

I didn't get the chance to post every day. Here's my photo for the nice wood category:

That neck is on my '92 Legacy:

Granny Cat, helped me take the pics.

That guitar also fits into your modification category. The pickups are Fender, Texas Specials with an odd wiring setup. The volume knob controls all three pickups. The first tone knob only controls the middle pickup. The neck & bridge pickups aren't connected to the tone circuit. The second tone knob isn't hooked up at all. The guitar was wired that way when I got it. My '82 SC-1 has had a tone pot and cap change. I acquired the OEM parts to put it back stock. After putting it back to stock I quickly decided that it sounded much better with the mods. I reinstalled the aftermarket pot & cap.

Darwin, you did a great job this week!

Here's a couple more random pics:

They are: '87 Asat '74 Telecaster & '08 Asat Classic Custom

Sprinter 92