Lunch Report Monday Qct 4 2010

Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:34 am

Thank you Kodor for nominating me for the second highest honor, to be the LR this week. It is my second time around and you are a hard act to follow. I hope to keep it interesting for everyone. My name is Darwin Ohman and I live in the Mpls/St.Paul, Mn area and am semi retired. I was in the computer business for close to fourty years. Ginny and I are empty nesters and the kids at home are our two kittens, Magic and Sam. I am still a gigging musician.

Lunch today will probably be fast food as I will be out and about. Could be a burger or a Subway. :zzz: Probably boring for many of you.

First subject will be something special to me.
Ginnys Daughter was married on Sep 4 th and our band was asked to do the wedding dance. This is really special. We are a 6 piece band and I am posting two pictures:

And

I am the guy playing guitar with the white hair and the pink shirt which was chosen by the bride and mother. That my story!

Forum Participation:
I agree with many comments that have been made recently. The LR format is somewhat redundant but it is supposed to be. It is up to us to keep it interesting and I find that they are usually interesting to me. Most of us are busy and as someone predicted, winter may get us more involved. It is great to see the old timers come back and I hope that more of them start posting. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and participation will only make it even better. :P

Bass to Guitar Converts:
This year I have been playing guitar to supplement our lead player. I have always been a Bass player and fortunately we found a darn good one. Our lead player is outstanding and he helped me with the arranging on our last CD. He suggested that I start doing guitar work with him. We compliment each other and play together but do things that enhance the guitar work. We each have songs that we do lead work on This has added a whole dimension to our sound and many people have commented on that. I have done a fair amount of guitar work in the past but this has been an opportunity for me to grow (amazing at my age!). It was a difficult transition in some ways but I don't look back at all. We do two songs as a group of four ( Sultans Of Swing and Ramblin Man) and I do the bass work on those. Any of you experiencing these conflicting personalities? I am curious how it was for any of you that have done this.

Finally, Some G&L Content:

I am posting some pictures to show the woods that G&L has used in the past. That is what stands out the most to me over the other brands. I have a Flamed Fender and it doesn't even come close to these guys. One is my L 2000

Trying to show the flamed neck, and,
and,
Next is the wood on my F 100 Return

Many of you have posted some beauties and I know there are many more out there.

Here is a guitar that I have picked up recently and the neck on this guitar is the easiest to play that I have ever experienced. It is a Parker Nitefly Southern which is their Tele/Asat version with a Piezo Bridge. I use it for gigging.
and,

And finally, let me introduce to Magic and Sam. They are doing some QC checking on my F 100 Return case. It appears that is passed inspection.

Thats it for today. I hope that everyone has a great day! :banana: Every day is a great one at my age!!! :greet: --Darwin.
Last edited by darwinohm on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Lunch Report Monday Qct 4 2010

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:08 am

Darwin,

Congrats to the newlyweds and on them asking you to do the the gig, hope a good time was had by all.

I agree on the wood, the G&L boys do a phenomenal job highlighting wood grain. Those are some beauties you got there as well. 8-)

My best example of their woodwork is a birdseye neck on my ASAT Deluxe. Unfortunately Photobucket having issues now so can't post pics.

Looking forward to the week.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:21 am

Hey Darwin,

Also congrats.

In Dutch, there is a proverb which would translate to 'buying a cat in the bag' which applies to situations where you got yourself a lemon. Clearly you went the upscale variant here by getting 2 cats in a tolex hard shell case!

Bird's Eye or not, their necks are frequently nicely figured. Here is an example of each (John Jorgenson Signature left, Commemorative right):
ImageImage
Incidentally, I read an Ernie Ball ad in the November 2010 Vintage Guitar issue where they use a Bird's Eye maple neck in the picture. Apparently, their necks are roasted which they claim adds stability. Pretty picture though.

But also the mahogany bodies on some G&L models are wonderful (Junior left, HB right):
ImageImage
They certainly take care of picking nicely looking wood. But of course the most important question to ask should be: How does it sound? ;)

Looking forward to the rest of the week.

- Jos

Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:44 am

darwinohm wrote:Thank you Kodor for nominating me for the second highest honor, to be the LR this week. It is my second time around and you are a hard act to follow.
--Darwin.

Thanks man! I appreciate you for carrying the torch...maybe we can keep the Open Mic LRs from happening for a while. As people get more posts under their belt...people should become more used to this place. I am already seasoned to this phpBB board format because many many other forums (including http://www.bassesbyleo.com/forum/) have this exact same software. Even photobucket has the IMG picture shortcuts ready to go for you.

I am a guitar-to-bass convert. I started on guitar 1st, but I picked up the bass not too long after. When I lived in Texas, I took a bass lesson from Mark White (Spin Doctors).
[youtube]dUT4lVDPJUA[/youtube]
That really gave my bass playing...and pinky strength a shot in the arm. I didn't own my own bass until an opportunity I couldn't refuse came up 5 years ago. Now I have a G&L JB and a Tribby L2K.

I completely concur on the quality of wood that G&L uses.
Look at the langiappe in the maple neck of my '82 S-500:
The fretboard looks great too...(and plays better since I put 6100s)

Great start to the week!

Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:47 am

Howdy Darwin,

As far as conflicting personalities go, I have been there and done that, mostly with my old bands singer. The drummer could occasionally cause havoc too, due to be rather limited in his ability to play non standard. I tossed in as that band wasn't making progress (after the singer left) and it was a shame as there was good guitar bass dynamics there (I am a bassist, and a fairly capable one). We had a pretty dense mix between 1 guitar and 1 bass w/ drums. Overall I guess my issues weren't too bad, the only huge one was when the drummer stopped working on the one song as 'he was not feeling it'. I later finished it on my own, it is one of my bass chordal rhythm tunes w/ lead guitar. Glad to hear you both play guitar with complimentary styles, I love when that happens, as it happens so infrequently on the small time. Nowadays I guess I am a full fledged multi instrumentalist, but I still lot myself as a bass player, as I feel I have more talent and creativity on that side. Cudos on not shying from using a finger Kodor.

Sultans of swing, that be a good tune. I rock it out every now and then on guitar, not bass. I love how laid back Knopfler's playing is, and use it to practice chilling out. A nice groove that guy has there, the Q filter really smooths it out.

You have a nice flame top on the F-100 there, unfortunately I would rate most G&L figured tops I see as subpar. They really cannot compete with Carvin and PRS in terms of great top woods. There may be benefit in developing some finishes/finish processes to enhance the appearance of figure. Their stuff is generally a lot more subtle (which if I am purchasing figured wood, is not the look I am after). Keep in mind I am referring specifically to tops here. I don't care if a neck has figuring, as I don't look at em.

Those roasted necks, I too am suspicious of the increased stability, however I can see how it may clog the pores and prevent moisture transfer as readily. They do look freaking sweet though.

The Parker is a nice axe. I am very interested in Parkers, as they are neat looking, unique, and come with stuff like Piezo and Stainless Steel Frets (!!!). How would you rate yours?

Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:25 am

How ya' doing.

Gotta agree that LR duty is not quite as easy as it used to be. It seems to take alot these days to get a rise out of folks. But it is a tradition and from where I sit there is a real value to that.

Yes, I confess that I actually played bass for about six months back in the mid-1960s. When some friends and I put together our first band we had 3 guitar players and a drummer. I was the only guy who did not have an electric (I was playing an acoustic with a DeArmond 210 slapped across the soundhole) through a Silvertone amp so ended up being designated the bass player. I went down to Manny's on 48th Street in NYC and scored a used Hagstrom bass (one of those jobs with the tin foil in the center) for $30 and borrowed an Ampeg B-15 Portaflex amp. After a bit one of the guitar players quit and we picked up not only a real bass player but a heck of a good lady singer who had this real Etta James thing going on and I went back to guitar - first a Dan Electro Silvertone and then a 1958 Tele. I kept the amp though although I ended up going to a Fender amp as our gigs got bigger.

That band stayed together into the 1980s. No personaility conflicts or problems except for the singer who went through a phase where she started to get stage fright. We were able though to talk the lady who would sit in with us at times as backup singer into taking the lead slot until our singer worked through it. So it all worked out in the end. But even though we all had very different tastes in music for whatever reason we got on together really well to the day we called it quits. My only complaint was having to lug the bass player's big old 8 x 10" Ampeg cab around. That thing was a monster.

I ain't got no pics of fancy necks or anything. I do have a guitar or two with some flame on the necks such as my 1960 Gibson J-200 acoustic but it is there by luck of the draw rather than design.

I love those two tunes you mentioned although I have never played them in front of folks.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:37 am

LR participation: I'm honest enough to admit that't I've thought twice about posting on occasion because I
thought I might get tagged for LR duties again and I shot all my bullets the first time :).
That being said I decided that the value of this forum to me in all that I learn requires that I
throw my .02 in the ring on the chance that it may help somebody else.

Bass/guitar: Definately guitar first but I keep a bass around for occasional jazz/church/recording gigs.

Figured wood: The BE maple on my Legacy with abalone dots is just stunning. It's not gun oil tint with
gives it a bit of a different look but pretty nonethe less.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:48 am

Congratulations to your wife's daughter, and very nice of you to play her songs for her.

Several years ago I started learning how to play a little bass since I wanted to do that with my recordings. But to this day I have never played bass in an actual band situation; actually I don't know that I can be up to it at this point.

My LE has a birdeye maple neck (with ebony fretboard). It has decent birdeye figures but I have seen plenty much better than mine. Sorry I don't have picture online to show you.

In the hobby band I play with the singer/keyboard/guitarist has a Parker. It's piezo does a very credible job with its acoustic sound.

Kit

Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:02 pm

Oooh, thanks for the reminder Kit...forgot to comment on the Parker.

Dar, I really like Parkers. I've had a bunch of Flys. Great guitars but the necks were always too thin for my tastes.
I had an NiteFly Alder however, which has a neck like your Southern.....GREAT neck. just beefy enough and the with CF fretbboard and SS frets
it played itself. Nice guitar and with the piezo I'll bet it's great for gigs.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:49 pm

Congrats on the wedding. Playing some tunes at her wedding is probably a nice little added memory to the day.

I’ve ‘faked’ it on bass a few times when there was a need. Actually, way back in the day I played bass in my high schools jazz band. I struggled a bit reading the charts but it was good experience playing with a large group like that. I picked up a Tribute SB2 a year or 2 ago to replace a real cheapo bass I had for a few years. I like having one around for home demos and such. But I’ll never be mistaken for a real bass player!

I am intrigued by the Parkers. I’ve heard quite a few good reports on them although I’ve got zero experience with them. The looks really seem to turn some folks off, I guess it’s one of those love ‘em or hate ‘em kinda things.

Jeff

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:12 pm

Hey, some beautiful woodies you guys have! :luv: ;+)

I agree that G&L uses some fine woods. None of my G&L guitars are particularly fancy of neck or top, but all are solid, stable and beautiful in their own understated way. Interestingly, both of my old SCs (considered no-frills instruments in their day) have some of the most beautiful maple of all my guitars. Go figure.

Guitar/Bass thing: I play some guitar (though not well) but within the last year or so have picked up two Leo-era basses. It occurred to me one day that the fact that I didn't play bass didn't mean I couldn't own one or two (G&L) basses, or couldn't learn to play bass at some future time.
I've started playing along with recordings I like, and I'm enjoying it (though at this rate I'll be dead before I'm any good). My progress has been slow in part because I have time to play mostly when the kiddies are in bed, and the bass - however low I try to play it - tends to really travel from the basement to the bedrooms upstairs. Often, I'm relegated to dinking around with my L1K or SB-2 totally unplugged while watchiing TV in the evening. I'm not complaining though. Just being able to own and hold these two old basses that Leo designed is an honor.

Speaking of honors, nice start Darwin! - ed

Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:53 pm

Great posts today. there are many more of you that do play bass than I expected.

Jos, beautiful woods in those guits that you have. The necks are like not many that I have seen. Your collection is superb!

Chris, nice neck on yours. Are you primarily a bass player?

Sirmyghin, You and I are Stainless Steel fret lovers. The Parker Souther is very light, probably less than 7.5 Lbs. It plays great and has a decent Tele sound but the Piezo is excellent. There are times when I use a blend. That is one of my two main giggers. The other is the PRS as it has a wider neck at the neck and works great for Wildwood Flower.

Zombywoof, do you still have the Danelectro? There is a demand for them. Ampeg 8x10's are too much for me to carry. If I need more power I use two amps.

Repoman, Parkers are either a hate or love relationship. I really like it and it is so light. If it had a tremolo it would almost be perfect.

Ed, like you I play unplugged most of the time at home. I normally practice an hour to and hour and a half every morning in from of the TV and Ginny listens. You would think she gets bored hearing many things over and over. Practice makes one precise. That works for me. A couple of good basses you have there.

Jazzrat, that neck is one of the most beautiful birdseye thay I have seen. Abalone dots are my favs and I have them on several of my american deluxe guits.

Tim, good insight on what this board is about and the German Hofner Bass would be a great addition to any arsenal. Our lead singer has a $200 style Beatle bass and it is terrible. It is boomy and develops feedback easily.

Thanks all for your input today and Wednesday I will be looking for your bass experiences and how you started/type of equipmnet you used. Hope you all stay tuned. Thanks---Darwin. :greet:

Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:49 pm

darwinohm wrote:Chris, nice neck on yours. Are you primarily a bass player?

Well, I have played my guitar many more hours than I have the bass...so I'm a guitar player. But, the last 3 years I've played bass at church because we didn't have a bass player and we needed that more than another guitar player. I love playing guitar. I love playing bass, too. I also play percussion...and it's cool how the bass and the drums synch up to drive the band. Over time, I've learned to treat my bass more like a percussion instrument...not slap/pop/funk...rather as timing what I play with or against what the drummer plays.

Some church bands (like any other band)...can be quite challenging. A few years ago, I played guitar and sometimes bass for a well put together group with horns and the whole 9 yards. It was very challenging musically...and we all used sheet music (even the singers). This is the kind of stuff we used to play (without elaborate solos though). (To stick to the rules this clip is an instrumental...and a fonky one at that).

[youtube]1qBHUsGVOp4[/youtube]

Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:53 pm

I keep landing bass gigs ...as a guitarist I guess I do all right , I usually get some good compliments after each show. Taking care of the low end is has been a learning process...I probably add a few too many notes at times but no complaints, now if our guitarist would just step up his leads a bit I wouldn't feel compelled to bring my doubleneck Aria pro ll ( guitar/bass ).

Here's some good wood from my collection:

My SB-2 neck (mounted on an early L-100 body)

An F-100 that is just beeeautiful:

My Skyhawk...it must be Northern Ash because she ain't light :

....and here is a couple shots of the SC-3 neck wood that I recently sold, the neck is dense and beautiful
with figuring that is 3D in person, not bad for a "budget" model :

Thanks for taking over this week Darwin,
I've been having GAS for a Parker...now it's worse :D ,
I'll have to add that to the top of the want list along with a couple Heritage guitars...and some nice microphones and.. and...time to find a job that pays well I guess .

cheers

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:13 am

Elwood, you really have some beautiful woods. I would like to have a double neck, bass and guitar. I would like to try one but is it quite heavy? The Parker I have is very light and the weight of a heavy guitar will take a toll on me during a four hour gig. Thanks for sharing the pics.--- Darwin