12%
Just a regular cellphone
41%
Landline only
12%

Total votes : 17

Smartphone Saturday LR - Saturday October 2

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:47 am

This bonus lunch report is brought to you by Larry's Plumb Bob Oil. "When in doubt...go get some plumb bob oil."

Lunch
Chick-Fil-A...it's a tradition after Cece's soccer game.

G&L Topic
MODS...anybody have any cool mods to share?

Non-G&L Topic
Any of you have a smartphone? I have one because I was required to get work email. I have a Motorola Droid 1 with Android OS...and I love it. Perhaps too much. Anyone have any apps that you like? I like guitar tuner, cgeo(geocaching), a car(gas mileage), google maps & navigator. I did this LR using my Droid with the Dolphin HD browser.

Have a great weekend...and looking forward to Darwinohm to carry the torch.

Re: Smartphone Saturday LR - Saturday October 2

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:42 am

I voted landline only, but that is just for myself. My wife and 2 kids all have cell phones. I have a desk job so I'm rarely away from my phone at work.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:49 am

I only have a land line, no cell phone, no distractions when I am out and about (see no Ipod/mp3 player etc). I like to keep it that way.

I have done no mods, yet. But my guitar isn't here. I have a list of Mods which I may or may not do all of:
4 way switch
Lead switch
pick guard change (depending on the grain of the ash I get dictates what I do with it)
Stainless steel refret (depending on how I get along with the nickels/how easy they are to keep smooth)
Refinish the back of neck (if I stick to it a lot, I will be bumping off the satin and making it tung oil finish on the back of the neck.) I love the feel of wood on the neck, with nothing on top of it. The oil penetrates the pores and sort of seals em from moisture. The concern here is this mod would likely void my warranty, as I have no experience with G&L necks I am slightly weary of their stability until proven otherwise. Albeit the Satin on G&L necks seems to be not the sticky type, so I think this will not be necessary.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:08 am

Soccer! I love it; played in college. I haven't done many mods. Most were for noise reduction, repairs, etc. I got my first "smart" phone in 1992. It was the Fujitsu Mini Commander and still have it along with my Newton MessagePad 100. I have always used them for business, but now they have become the main internet access point for the masses. What next? Maybe http://beforeyoureyes.sourceforge.net/? Maybe it's a cycle and we'll be scratching images on cave walls again soon.

Cheers,

Will

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:16 am

I voted Blackberry because my work provides one but I actually prefer the I-Touch stuff better.
I don't have an I-Phone but I love the tactile feel of my I-Pod Touch and the incredible number
of apps. My favorite being the Peterson Strobostomp app.
It's nearly as accurate as the other strobe tuners but super convenient.

Lunch: My wife is at a teacher class all day so I'm thinking my son and i will pick up a Subway sand
and go for a hike in our beautiful canyon.

G & L mods. Later today I am swapping out the bridge pickup in my Legacy for a Dimarzio
Virtual Solo. I love the stock ones but I need a little warmer smoother tone from the bridge
for what i do. The VS is hotter with bumped mids. It makes balancing the pickup output
a little easier without drastic differences in pickup heights.

Nice job this week Chris.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:13 am

Kodor wrote:This bonus lunch report is brought to you by Larry's Plumb Bob Oil. "When in doubt...go get some plumb bob oil."

Ah, where would we be without advertising. But thanks for the extra edition anyway!

Kodor wrote:MODS...anybody have any cool mods to share?

Nope, at least not me.

Kodor wrote:Anyone have any apps that you like?

I got my cellphone because my wife got one with a pre-pay plan for some guests from the Netherlands and 'bequeathed' it to me upon their departure. And then I started working for this game company and was tasked with helping them develop games for the Social market. Oh boy. It is hard to keep up with all the apps even when limited to the gaming space. But there are many great apps out there, some mindless, some extremely useful. I would have liked to be that guy that sold the 'I am Rich' app in the early days of the iPhone for a $1k and lo and behold sold a couple. Guess what it did ...

Great week Chris :happy0065: And like many of us, I am looking forward to next weeks contributions too!

- Jos

Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:09 pm

Forgot a planner mod earlier

Get my control plate and saddle lock bridge chrome removed and powder coated black :D A distinct possibility for me, depending how much it will run.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:17 pm

The only mods I have done to my G&Ls have been to put schaller strap locks on them. I'm thinking about putting the graph tech piezo system (as mentioned earlier this week).

I un-modded someone elses pickguard mod to my '82 S-500. Someone had taken the metal pickguard off...removed the crinkle coat, and rattle-canned it copper. Ewww! So found a powder coat place that had the correct crinkle coat...only cost me $30. I also had it refretted with Dunlop Jumbo 6100s rather than the flat railroad track jobbies.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:55 pm

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:As for Chik-Fil-A or "Chik-A-Fill" as I'm wont to call it .............. they just put one in a few months back here. Love the "Eat mor chikin" signs the cows hold. I like the fries and their chicken thus far.
Tim

My son (who just turned 3) calls it "Cow Chicken." "I wanna go to Cow Chicken!" We eat there at least once a week.

Mods
I wish Mac would have chimed in on some of his mods. He just sent me some pics of some new stuff he's working on. I didn't think to ask him if I could post them. Maybe I will now. Dean Coy also likes to mod-it-up. Between those two...they have come up with some really cool mods.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:40 pm

Kodor wrote:This bonus lunch report is brought to you by Larry's Plumb Bob Oil. "When in doubt...go get some plumb bob oil."

Heh... That's kinda-sorta-maybe-right-outa Prairie Home Companion.

Non-G&L Topic
Any of you have a smartphone? I have one because I was required to get work email. I have a Motorola Droid 1 with Android OS...and I love it. Perhaps too much. Anyone have any apps that you like? I like guitar tuner, cgeo(geocaching), a car(gas mileage), google maps & navigator. I did this LR using my Droid with the Dolphin HD browser.

I've had my ass laminated. There's a joke there - who can remember it?

Click the image.

I've had regular ol' cellular phones because that's all I ever used them for - a phone. Then I had a need for a Windows Mobile smartphone and got a Samsung - nice phone with a crappy OS - but it was used almost exclusively as a plain ol' cellular phone and was money thrown away.

Then I got a Droid. Text, GMail, GMail calendar, Exchange mail, Exchange calendar, integrated contacts (across GMail and Exchange); I've never used a handheld so extensively. Even the camera is decent at 5MP, though I won't use it for bass pr0n. The iPhone calendar is easier to use on the handset, but there may be an app for that. And there is a cool little hand synth that I think is pretty nifty but annoys the hell out of my wife.

G&L Topic
MODS...anybody have any cool mods to share?

Oh... Maybe one or two.

Excellent week, Chris! Thanks for devoting the time.
Ken...
Last edited by Ken Baker on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:50 pm

I've got the Sprint EVO Android phone and I like it a lot. Even though Android is still in its infancy (why are these applications randomly starting or running in the background all the time?), it's a champ.

I'm a huge fan of Google Sky Map. Have a nice guitar tuner as well ... oh, and a metronome app which is pretty slick. I think the weirdest is the heart rate monitor. You put your finger over the camera lens and it calculates your biological bpm. Very accurate and more than a little baffling.

Not much of a mods guy. That's part of what I like about G&L instruments. No need to swap out the bridge or replace the pickups -- probably the two most common mods by any standard.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:41 pm

I posted a reply much earlier today, but again, the ghosts in the machine must have taken it to the never beyond....

Phones: I have a regular cell phone. I don't use it much, but it comes in handy if I get into traffic and need to tell someone I'm running late, or if my wife thinks of something else we need while I'm at the grocery store. I don't do text messaging. I don't understand it. If I have something important to say to someone, I call them. If it is not urgent, I send an email. I get run off the road regularly by morons using their smart phones while driving. How smart is that?

Chic-Fil-A: Their fried chicken is so salty it tastes horrible to me and I can't and won't eat it. I've talked to the company about it. If they used half the salt, their chicken would taste twice as good and be ten times less unhealthy. Too bad, because their staff is second to none, and they have great lemonade and iced tea...

Mods: Nothing to report here. If I don't like the instrument as it is, I probably won't purchase it. I don't have the time, skill nor the inclination to screw around with musical instruments. I kind of admire those of you who do, though.

Thanks for the great week Kodor, and for the bonus report! - ed

Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:05 am

Chik-Fil-A has to be the strangest name in fast food. I have had their chicken sandwich with a pickle. Its OK.
I think my wife loves the place more than I do.

MODs- I don't do mods but i have a Legacy that had the bridge pickup changed for a SD JB jr humbucker. My friend changed it to be single coil when he borrowed the guitar. I haven't done anything different to my G&L basses.

Cell phone for me is a standard issue phone with camera. I haven't felt the need to have email on the fly and i don't text except for 1 to 3 words to my daughter when she writes an entire paragraph telling me that she fixed dinner or something.

I was at a wedding all day Saturday, so this is a Sunday post.