TGIF Lunch Report - Friday October 1

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:41 am

Well, we made it to the end of the work week...and everyone's survived this ride sofar. Let's give a warm welcome to October and cooler weather!

Thursday recap
Thanks to those who had pics to share. Also, many thanks for the well wishes for my wife. Lastnight was pretty tough pain-wise, but she made it through.

Lunch
Could be a sammach or spaghetti-o's. I'm at the house today...so I will find sumthin.
Here's a lunch question for you to ponder. Have you ever noticed that Coke (or other soft drinks) taste radically different from place to place? I know this is due to how the drink machine dials up the syrup/carbonated water ratio. For some reason a Coke from McDonald's takes like they were put through the orange drink pipe...and Chick-Fil-A cokes are heavy on the syrup. Sonic has the best ice though.

G&L Topic of the Day
BASSES!
There are a few low-enders that have chimed in...and a few bass players too (I kid I kid :D ). G&L has a lot to offer bass players...all of the classic designs and BBE has the Sonic Stomp and the bass preamp. I'm tickled pink with my 2009 JB. That thang has miles of tone...and it plays..as they say...like buttah!

AMPS!
I wonder how the G&L Whipper Snapper is coming along...does anyone know? Wouldn't it be neat if G&L would have put a Sonic Stomp circuit in the amp circuit?

SWAG!
How many of you have G&L SWAG? I have me mug...and a polo shirt (that everyone says...I didn't know you went to Georgia Te..oh wait). I picked up the G&L neon sign not too long ago.
Methinks that guitar adoptions has thrown down the gauntlet...time for Tim and Buffalo Brothers to up the ante with a G&L calendar...

REGISTRY!
The registry has almost reached 15,000 geets! Put yours in there if you haven't already!
http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/AUTOREG/autoreg2.php3

Non-G&L Topic of the Day
It's TGIFriday...who's gigging?

Does anyone go to open-mic jams?

Y'all need to come to Mississippi and we'll go do some blues jams ok?

LR Next Week
Second reminder...Darwinohm...you're nominated for next week. If you can't do it, let me know.

Thanks for playing along this week. It was great to be in the saddle again.

Re: TGIF Lunch Report - Friday October 1

Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:30 am

Haven't eaten here, practicing guitar.

As far as G&L basses go, as a bass player, I am not very interested in them. They have 1 model I might be interested in, the LB-2500. But that probably does not have a 'wide' spacing, where it preserves 4 string spacing on a 5, so that vetoes it for me. The sonic stomp is good for my bass though (my boogie doesn't gain anything from it though).

I have no swag.

I am going to be playing some board games this weekend, to the tune of settlers of Catan most likely. I just restocked my BEvERage fridge, that should be nice. I don't do open mic stuff, my gear doesn't move much.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:02 am

Hey Kodor,

No access last coupla days, some cool pics.
How was the Skillet show? I like the band, just haven't seen them live yet.

Coke does seem to vary. If you get a chance to visit the world of Coke in Atlanta they provide tastes of Coke from around the world and talk about different flavors of the same sugary fluid, pretty neat.

No basses in my house but I do like the idea of a Sonic Stomp circuit in the amp circuit.

Only G&L SWAG is t-shirts, need to get more. And hey, we all wish we went to Georgia Tech. :alright:

Mississippi blues jam is a great idea.

Now I'm not sure about a BBrothers catalog, Just don't see Tim in those outfits! :lol:

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:16 pm

Nice job this week, Kodor. I've enjoyed reading your posts even though I haven't had as much time as I'd have liked to respond. Hope your wife heals quickly. Those first couple of days post-op are always the worst, but it's amazing how fast the human body can get past that.

My lunch today was a quick salad, a bottle of pomegranate juice and a handful of pretzels. Trying to eat light because the family is headed out for fish fry tonight. Friday night fish fry is a big tradition in Wisconsin that keeps the supper clubs (another WI institution) hopping. If y'all ever visit my home state, I strongly encourage you to check one out.

Basses! Yes! I'm a huge fan of just about every model of G&L bass I've ever gotten my mitts on. Sadly that does not include the latest JB model, but there's still time, I figure. I think the saddle-lock bridge, as genius as it is in general, is especially well suited to the bass. Those heavy strings need a solid anchor and IMO there's not a better bass bridge on the market. The guitar players in my bands are consistently amazed at how little I have to tune.

Haven't had a chance to audition the Whipper Snapper and don't own any G&L SWAG to speak of. I remember seeing a sort of work jacket in the web store that looked pretty cool though. Might have to break down and snag one if it's still there.

I always make sure to log anything G&L that passes through my hands in the registry. I think I dropped the ball once on a Climax Bass that I flipped so fast I didn't think to do it.

No gigs tonight. Now and then I'll hit an open mic, but they're usually things where folks are performing solo and rarely do they progress to all-out jams. There probably needs to be more of that around here, I think, though maybe I'm just not hitting the right spots. Don't get out like I used to now that I've got little ones at home to look after.

Tim, it's cool your son is getting the guitar bug. I bought my son his first guitar this year for his 3rd birthday. It's a cheap but fairly well built half-size classical. Of course, he can't really play it, but he does go through the motions, which I figure is about all I did from about age 15 to 22 :lol:. It's a start, right? He's certainly fascinated whenever I pull out a bass or guitar and likes to ambush me to strum them. Hopefully, he'll take a real interest in learning to play one day and surpass his old man's meager abilities.

A happy weekend to all! -- Fats

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:38 pm

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:Because my 14 year old son asked me last night if I could teach him to play guitar! :banana: All of a sudden he's interested in guitar. In his drafting/engineering class in High School (he's an honor student - straight A's +) he drafted on computer a G&L Bluesboy. So it must be on his mind. Plus when he was born back in 1996 ~ my wife and I put aside a limited edition Strat in "baby boy blue" that they made 300 of. It's in a case with the 50th Anniversary Fender CD, pick, etc. We had (back in 1996) his name engraved on the neck plate. So we gave it to him on his 12th birthday. It quietly sat in the closest. Then about 2 months ago I found it out. He had wanted to look at it he said. Then he draws a bluesboy in school. And now he's asking to play. This is cool to me. So last night we started with some simple chords. I've offered lessons but he said "can't you teach me." I replied "don't you want to play good??" Geezus, I'm horrible as a player and certainly worse as a teach, so I'll see if I can prime the pump and get him going then turn him over to a pro.

Great week Chris!

Tim

Just give er heck Tim. The only lesson I have ever had was my dad showing me what the notes on the bass were. After that I had the motivation to pick up and keep playing, challenge myself and whatnot. Might be he strikes the same motivation. As far as time has gone on, I have never been 'taught' to play an instrument. I read, I watch people do things, then I figure out how to do it my way. One thing a lot of lesson lack is direction, they are teaching you for the sake of it. Meanwhile you might be able to give more context, maybe just point him in the direction he wants to go. You 'awful' playing will be overshadowed easily. Besides I am sure you can kick it pretty good, most of us not teenagers are pretty modest about our playing abilities (we passed the rock star stage). I know what you mean about not being able to teach though, I think I would have the same hurdle. I do things often because it works, or it feels right, not because I am playing a A7 no 3rd chord then building a diatonic run centered on that missing 3rd.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi Chris,- i'm glad to hear that your wife is on the mend. My wife actually needs rotator cuff surgury and she as been putting it off. I think it would be better to get it over with.

G&L Swag- I have two guitar picks, and a couple of bumper stickers. One from Emmit and one from Craig for doing the LR duties.
I want a G&L polo shirt.

G&L basses- I have a few and I have to say that I have never been dissapointed in the sound of a G&L bass. They always put the band at a higher level of fidelity. Last weekend I used my L-2500 and my 2nd gen SB-2 with great results. The basses don't need a Sonic Stomp but I have used one and it sounds great.

I have a gig tonight. Right here at work, A retirement party will benefit from my band RAGs. We are playing as a three piece w/o our drummer, because he has another gig.

Great week, Chris. Have a good weekend.

bassman

Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:43 pm

First off, best wishes to your wife. That sounds rough. My G&L swag consists of the contents of all those manila folders! I think I have a dozen stickers. That amp looks interesting. Maybe some BBE guts too? No bass experience, but G&L is highly regarded so I'll go with that. No gigs this weekend, but planning for a few end-of-year shindigs. Have a great weekend!

Cheers,

Will

Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:48 pm

:greet: Chris, sorry for not responding sooner. I have been out of town for two days and I did accept on your Thursday Lunch Report earlier today but that is a day late. I am honored to accept the second highest honor as the LR for next week. This week will be a hard one to follow. The pictures and the participation have been outstanding. I will do my best to keep it interesting next week and I will touch on my transition from a bass gigger to guitar gigger. We will also have some tech talk and anything in between. And yes, I use a Sonic Maximizer on both my bass and regular guitar using an A/B switch to my amps from my wireless. Pretty high tech for a guy my age.

I have an L 2000 fretless bass and it is awesome, both tonally and visually. I may try to buy a new fretted neck for it from G&L in a flamed maple as a fretless is not for everything. I would like it to be my main bass. I am sure that many of you would suggest to buy a fretted L 2000 but this one is special and if the Prez approves, I may opt for a neck. I have four basses and really do not need another but this L 2000 cooks! Now, getting me to cook is another issue.

Thanks for the great week Chris and glad to hear Shannon is in recovery mode. Pain is first and then the limited activity becomes the issue. Time is essential. Ginny had foot surgery in March and it takes time to heal. She has recovered.

I will try my best to interest all of you next week and looking forward to the LR duties.--- Darwin :D

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:06 pm

sirmyghin wrote:I just restocked my BEvERage fridge, that should be nice. I don't do open mic stuff, my gear doesn't move much.

That reminds me...I should treat myself to a Duvel for being LR this week. Mmmmm....Belgian!
[youtube]cVFERR4Qx9U[/youtube]

sam wrote:Hey Kodor,
No access last coupla days, some cool pics.
How was the Skillet show? I like the band, just haven't seen them live yet.

The Skillet show \m/. RAWKED .\m/! Awesome rock show...great songs...awesome sound...great stage presence....the crowd was very into it (we were front center)...pyro...and even the violinist and cellist brought their A-game (notice they were up on rising platforms in this shot).

Thanks everyone for participating in the LR...hopefully we can keep this tradition going in another 10 years for G&LDP v3.0.

Tim, thanks for being a friend...and for nominating me...and providing me with photoshopping opportunities!

I've told Shannon all the kind words...and she very much appreciates the support. We're one big happy G&L family. Y'all are more than welcome to stop by if you ever come this way. Maybe you can help me get a G&L dealer in Mississippi's capital city (nearest one is 2 hours away).