Wacky Wednesday LR - Wednesday Sept 29

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:52 am

Tuesday recap
Thanks to Craig for keeping his thumb on the ISP and keeping this ship afloat. You do more than we realize and we thank you for it!

It sure would be cool to get Leo's classic G&L pickup designs such as the square S-500 pickups and others brought back to the G&L lineup. Also it seems that technology is good for those who need more from less. I think that I may have to do the ghost pickup system to my legacy...I'll give it some more thought.

Lunch
Lunch will be at the Froghead Grill...which is a little dive by the house that is decked out in frogs memorabilia. I'll probably get the chicken strip basket with a sweet tea and their famous cheese sticks. Do you have any wacky-themed restaurants where you live?

G&L Topic of the Day
G&L in the past has come up with some designs that are no longer offered. We talked yesterday about pickups. What about bringing back body or headstock designs? Some of them to me are pretty wacky (X body, sickle headstock, G-200 cloud control plate). But what about the classic '82 S-500 body shape and big headstock?
They did bring back a newer version of the F-100 and SC-2.

What are some of your favorite features that should be brought back as originally spec'd?

Non-G&L Topic of the Day
In keeping with our wacky theme...when I was in college the 1st go round, we used to have a coffee house talent show. It was always a blast because college undergrads are generally pretty whacky. We had comedians, poetry (snap...snap), singing, etc. One time me and my buddy from our band decided to do a song kinda off the cuff. We decided to play "What's Up" by 4 Non-blondes. So here we have two guys playing acoustic guitar...and then people start recognizing the tune. Singing songs in falsetto can be hit or miss, but we knocked this one right out of the park. Everybody joined in and pulled out their lighters (this is before everyone had cellphones kids). I think it's the only time I ever gotten a standing ovation.

Here's another one. Will Ray told me he connected two Mind Benders together in series whilst playing his guitar using two slide rings. Not long after this...I'm not for certain...but I think the FBI, NSA, USCIS, NAACP, FIFA, ASCII, or NASA swept him away. I'm not sure of his whereabouts...

Have you had anything wacky happen or any wacky stories?

Tomorrow will be P0rN Thursday....so get your guitar and bass related pictures ready! Have a great day!

Re: Wacky Wednesday LR - Wednesday Sept 29

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:27 am

No whacky themed restaurants, at least that I have found. We do have a wonderful hole in the wall called the Harbour Diner, who makes inexpensive breakfast to die for (never gone for dinner) but it is mostly just laid back and common, not themed.

I can't really reminisce about the G&Ls of old as I am both A young and B new to the company. I don't really like the old style headstocks like the sickle, I also don't much care for giant knobs on the end of my headstock. (see fender or G&L I guess that is just the way Leo wanted em)

I am a pretty relaxed guy, so cannot really think of anything whacky parsay. At least nothing I thought of in the last 10 minutes, sorry I cannot help.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:28 am

I'm a sucker for chrome and particularly like the front loaded control panels on the old F-100 guitars and L-series basses. Love the old chromed knobs on both those models too, not to mention the satisfying click of the mini two/three-position switches. I feel like a pilot whenever I'm goofing with the controls on an F-100, which I suspect would make Leo smile, given that he was a fan of all things aviation, as I understand it.

I know some folks find those old chrome panels clunky, but to me they bespeak quality.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:46 am

While I am as Old School as they come, I loved those flippin' sickle headstocks - but I am guessing that its because my favorite G&L of all times remains the first body style Interceptor

Wackiness - I am a proud veteran of the International Putnam Creek Nude Inner Tube Race. Every year a handful of us would strip down, hop in our inner tubes and race to the finish line. Every year the cops would be there waiting for us with blankets, haul us off to the station and hand us a nice little fine.

Speaking of Wacko College stuff - I am a survivior of the Scrotum Ball tournaments usually held in the hall of the one of the dorms. Last guy to limp off was the champion. I never did win that one.

Most of my other antics - let's just say it is a fine line between being wacky and stupid.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:51 am

Having seen many picture of older G&L I really like the looks of black crinkle hardware. It'd be great if that is an option again.

I don't have any personal wacky stories that I can think of offhand. I live in Portland, OR. A few months ago on the local newspaper website I found a story and video of a choir of University of Oregon male students doing a Lady Gaga song which I thought was fun and funny, apparently the audience did too:

[youtube]Rp_TBm3Gwq0[/youtube]

Kit

Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:16 pm

Kit wrote:Having seen many picture of older G&L I really like the looks of black crinkle hardware. It'd be great if that is an option again.
Kit

Even Chrome black would be nice, I am tempted to get black hardware going on my incoming ,but I have no way of blackening the bridge so that is a stall point.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:37 pm

Lunch
Do you have any wacky-themed restaurants where you live?

Nothing I can think of around here now. But I remember one back during my college days we used to
frequent. Pizza-n-Pipes (or something like that) was a huge cafeteria style dining room. At one end
of the room was a massive pipe organ. They'd have some guy play requests while you ate pizza.
He'd do a lot of polkas and marches. Kids would be parading around the room. The more beer you
drank the more surreal it became.

G&L Topic of the Day
What are some of your favorite features that should be brought back as originally spec'd?

Can't say that I'm crazy about some of the old body shapes like X-bodies or the sickle headstock. The
G200 sounds interesting but I've never played one. And to be honest I probably wouldn't care if a G200
was original spec'd or not. I do wish they'd bring back black hardware and the micro-tilt neck.

Jeff

Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:13 pm

Hey Chris. Very nice week so far. I have my elderly parents in town and I'm trying to find them a place to live nearby, so things have been crazy.
I did post a reply to your Monday LR, but it appears to have been deleted by our moderator. Yes, Craig's job is a pretty thankless (but necessary) one, and you're right in that he does more than most folks are aware of. I don't think he appreciated my movie appreciation answer, but I don't think my guitar-related thoughts would have been objectionable to anybody here. Oh well....

I'm beat today but I want to say that I like skunk-striped necks and micro-tilt three bolts, and I had a hell of a good time (also) with Coffeehouse performances in college.

Wacky? Yeah, I got that. But if I were to recount with any honesty the interesting wacky stuff I've done or witnessed, I'd run some serious risk of censorship so I will refrain (good boy good boy ed!).

Anyway, I hope you post some pics of those insulator things you collect. I actually find them fascinating. - ed

PS: I was going to comment (yesterday?) regarding technology that I used to do spectrum-related legal work, and a couple of our clients were involved in using RF spectrum to read utility meters remotely. I helped get some FCC experimental licenses for projects like this. Fascinating stuff really....

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:14 pm

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:
3) Non-G&L Topic:
Wacky music stories I haven't as I usually turn in early. Example, the last Just-A-Jam after the Arlington Guitar Show I missed the cops breaking up the place by turning in early. :) Nothing else comes to mind!
Tim

I dunno Tim...these are pretty wacky...saved from the G&LDP v1.0.

Wayne and Garth: "We're not worthy!"

Umm....

These guys need more 5-hour energy...
[youtube]j0n1oM3L4yk[/youtube]

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:45 pm

zapcosongs wrote:I did post a reply to your Monday LR, but it appears to have been deleted by our moderator. Yes, Craig's job is a pretty thankless (but necessary) one, and you're right in that he does more than most folks are aware of. I don't think he appreciated my movie appreciation answer, but I don't think my guitar-related thoughts would have been objectionable to anybody here. Oh well....

Hey Ed,

I did not remove your post. We were having some server issues and it's likely that your post just didn't get posted. Perhaps you could try again.

BTW, I'd let you know if I needed to remove a post of yours.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:04 am

Thanks Craig! -ed