Do you prefer to buy NEW or USED Instruments?

I prefer to buy NEW
33%
I prefer to buy USED
67%

Total votes : 12

Re: WAHOO FRIDAY LUNCH REPORT POLL ONLY

Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:23 am

I'll reply! I generally don't care to buy new guitars very often. I just find that if I don't really care for the guitar in the long haul, I usually lose my shirt on it when it comes time to sell it. Since I live in a rather remote part of the world, it's difficult to find any guitars without traveling quite a long distance, so I buy many of my guitars sight-unseen online. It's risky business sometimes, but I've found some winners. Those that I don't care for I can usually flip for what I paid for it. So, I generally prefer to buy used.

Great week, Tim!

Jim

Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:39 am

In some 50 years I have only ever bought one new guitar which by the way was a G&L Classic S.

At first it was because the only guitars I could afford were used ones and then I just developed a taste for oldies but goodies. My last two purchases - a much abused 1950s Epiphone flat top and a not nearly as abused 1950s Oahu Tonemaster lap steel. At present my oldest guitar has passed 80 years of age and youngest be just sliding past 50.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:51 am

I prefer to buy new. OTOH, there have been used basses that simply called to me. There have also been deals that were just too good to pass up.

Ken...

Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:54 pm

Hi Tim. First thanks for another fabulous week of LR's. And since the work for the week has died down a bit this Friday, I finally have time to participate instead of lurk in the background.

My first G&L's were bought new at the (sorely missed) Zobrist store here in Seattle. Main reason being that I was introduced to the myriad of options G&L provides by Ron Stoehr and could order the guitars with the esthetics I was looking for. But now I prefer to buy used, simply because the models I'm interested in are usually used: Leo era guitars, Limited Editions, Special Builds, and the fine quartet that you designed.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:59 pm

I buy used just because my money goes farther and I love to fix up instruments.