Do you prefer to buy your instruments NEW or USED?

I prefer to buy NEW
40%
I prefer to buy USED
60%

Total votes : 10

Re: WAHOO IT'S FRIDAY LUNCH REPORT - 9/24/10

Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:26 am

Thanks for the interviews Tim. Pretty interesting overall.

As far as dogs go, I have one. Glad you went to a shelter not a pet store though, rescue something opposed to support the poor quality breeding of dogs (backyard breeding and puppy mills really do damage through over population and what is effectively 'poor quality control' of our canine companions.
Here is my pooch. I Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and a handsome devil at that.

I too am allergic to cats, but if I want something to sit around my house and sleep, poop in a box, and eat my food... I would get a rock and skip the last 2 :P

Contacting G&L is something I can relate to. I had wanted to see if a few non standard list things could be done in my order. They could be for the most part (in a roundabout sort of way), but I could not contact the company. Some dealers would not even call G&L to ask unless I told them I was committed to buying from them! Some help there were.
My dealer however was fantastic, he probably had to call them 4-5 times for me ( see about no pickguard, stainless frets, if I could get a ASAT special deluxe w/ swamp ash top and body, see if they could do an arm cut on the front). But in the end he never begrudged it and was very quick on the turn around. I bought from him more for the excellent service I received, than the best price I found. As long as your dealer is willing to go the extra mile, I don't know if a "good ole' George" is necessary, but it would be an asset to anyone who does not have one of the 'good' dealers. Craig does a fair job patching us up though, even though it is not his job formally :D

I buy new. Not that I do not like used instruments, it is just typically I get an idea what I want in my head, and am inflexible. Therefore it can rarely be sated buying used. I could have bought an ASAT Special NEAR identical to what I orderred for about 900 used on Ebay. But I had already done most of the leg work with the dealer, and out of respect for his time gave him my business. All it was missing was the nut iirc, even had locking tuners.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:54 am

I never eat breakfast - in the words of Gordon Gekko - Breakfast is for wimps. Actually, I usually ain't got the time and my stomach does not seem to wake up till around 10:00am.

Thanks for posting the interviews. There needs to be a Mount Rushmore of Guitar builders.

Dogs - the two constants in my life have been guitars and dogs. I have had as many as six (of both).

At present - we have two dogs:

Ike - a Border Collie
Penny - She looks to be a Brittany Spaniel (we got her from the pound so it is hard to tell).

We also have two cats. Not my favorite critters. I am not allergic to them or anything - I just ain't a cat guy I guess.

My daughter Emma with the mutts.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:22 am

Mr. Tim,

This was a good week and I would have posted more but I am just too lazy. Those are some good looking kids you have there.

I am not a dog person really. It must have something to do with working in so many homes and being greeted by customers dogs in the rudest ways. Also the idea of walking a dog with a baggie on my hand waiting for them to produce a smoldering turd for me to pick up just doesn't do anything for me.

We have two black cats, George and Gracie, and they take care of themselves plus love bringing stuff home for me. Our area is completely bird, mouse and chipmonk free at the moment.
Chipmonks are good, light summertime meal.

Take care,

y2kc

Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:55 pm

As always Tim...it was good to have you at the LR helm. I appreciate you for nominating me for next week.

We've always had some sort of dog in our family...but the strange thing is that they've all passed away early...yet we still have the same 2 cats. I'm beginning to think our cats are up to something. Here's our current mutt...Zack (a rat terrier/chihuahua mix we think. Picked him up from the shelter last year after our pom passed away.

Did G&L ever get a new artist relations person?
A friend of mine from back home, James Cook, is a session bass player in Nashville. Right now, James is touring with Luke Bryan and Steve Wariner...not to mention his own band "The Levees." James emailed me before the Luke Bryan tour and wanted to get in touch with someone at G&L about a new bass for the road. He has a L-2500 that he got from Lisa a while back. The only thing I knew to tell him was to call the factory and ask for Steve Grohm. A "Good-ole-George" would have been helpful getting James what he needed.

Here's some videos of James. Unfortunately he's not playing his G&L bass. He's a fantastic musician and a good ole boy.
[youtube]tesie-Evzhw[/youtube]

The Levees...with fellow G&L Artist extraordinaire Dan Cohen...notice he's not playing his G&L either.
[youtube]AwouhQcTYn4[/youtube]

G&L should contact these two guys! Have a good weekend y'all...see you next week.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:55 pm

Our kitty "Magic" passed away about two years ago; it was just heartbreaking for both of us. We haven't even looked for a new kitty yet. I guess I'm more of cat person that a dog lover; though I had dogs when I was a kid. I hate untrained dogs (or poorly mannered children for that matter), but that is really the fault of the owner (parents).

Ever since I've been on the board, we've heard countless complaints of non-exixtent customer service, and sheer frustration of not receiving return e-mail or phone calls. Customer service seems to be a hit-or-miss proposition, since we also hear tales of when they do good. I think your idea is an excellent one. Certainly one would lthink that an "ombudsman" of sorts would provide better service and better consistency.

Hire me! I love guitars, and I know how to get things done!

Bill

Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:10 pm

Tim,

I would rather buy new, but I have acquired 3 "like new" G&L guitars in the last 2 years. Someday, I'll go with a Custom built guitar - but I'm happy with what I have so far.

Dogs or cats - I like dogs but don't want to own one. Like someone else said - I'd rather not have to walk a dog & take care of his droppings. We have one 15 year old black cat (Java) at the present time. His brother died about 2 years ago.

G&L would benefit greatly by having one of their techs fielding questions. Just knowing that there is a contact at the factory to handle problems would result in improved customer satisfaction. Many of us acquire G&L guitars from the original owner, not a dealer.

Great job on the lunch Report this week!!

Hope to get to Buffalo Bros. Guitars later this year.

Brice
Last edited by Lefty on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:26 pm

Beautiful kids and canine, Tim. You are blessed indeed.

Meet my bluejay, Frightful:

Fantastic week. Thanks so much! - ed

Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:46 pm

Do you actually own a blue jay Ed?

Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:26 pm

Great job this week, Tim. No dogs at the moment except the shagg-dogs I collected today(check my avatar). Have a great weekend!

Cheers,

Will

Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:00 pm

Shaggy Manes! I sauteed them with olive oil, butter, garlic, salt, pepper, basil and oregano and served over angel hair pasta. A little fresh Romano on top and you're good to go. That's my dinner tonight!

Cheers,

Will

Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:02 pm

They look delicious, anything like morels?

Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:09 pm

No. Buttery soft, but stays together. It picks up the flavors of the other ingredients perfectly.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Kodor wrote:Did G&L ever get a new artist relations person?
A friend of mine from back home, James Cook, is a session bass player in Nashville. Right now, James is touring with Luke Bryan and Steve Wariner...not to mention his own band "The Levees." James emailed me before the Luke Bryan tour and wanted to get in touch with someone at G&L about a new bass for the road. He has a L-2500 that he got from Lisa a while back. The only thing I knew to tell him was to call the factory and ask for Steve Grohm. A "Good-ole-George" would have been helpful getting James what he needed.

Hey Chris,

Did they try calling the number on G&L's main website for Artist Relations / Endorsements? I don't think your recommendation is the right choice. Steve Grom is the Director of Manufacturing. They
need to talk to someone in Marketing/Sales. The best think for them to do is call the number listed on the website on the Contacts page.

Hope this helps.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:04 pm

Lefty wrote:G&L would benefit greatly by having one of their techs fielding questions. Just knowing that there is a contact at the factory to handle problems would result in improved customer satisfaction. Many of us acquire G&L guitars from the original owner, not a dealer.
Brice

G&L does have a team of three people for handling repairs (both in and out of warranty). Check the Support page on the main G&L website.
If you have a question about a G&L instrument, you should contact a G&L dealer, regardless whether or not you bought it from them or not. You can also post your questions here on the G&LDP.

Hope this helps.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:11 pm

We lost our dog Snowball last year. He was a 15 and a half year old Bichon Frise, a great little dog.
I haven't had the heart to get another dog.

I routinely buy used instruments. I have a couple of new ones but then i have to worry about the first scratch or dent. With used basses the break-in period is over and they usually have a few scars.

G&L and every company can benefit from better customer relations.
A "Good Ol' George" would be a great asset to G&L.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:50 am

sirmyghin wrote:Do you actually own a blue jay Ed?

No. A neighbor on the next street hand raised this bird after it's mother fell victim to a cat. I did not know this at the time this photo was taken, though. I was getting my mail at our box in the center of our cul-de-sac when this boldly-friendly jay just landed on me. Trying to stay completely still, I used my cell phone to call my wife and I asked her to get the camera and come out. Hence the picture.

It turns out that the "owners" of this bird were on vacation at the time this picture was taken. "Frightful" was probably looking to be fed when he found me (his people had never been away before in its brief lifetime). When the family returned, the bird was nowhere to be found, even though they looked for it high an low for weeks. Too trusting, it probably met a similar fate as its mom. - ed

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:33 am

I didn't think you could tame one, blue jays are a plague around here, just the other day we had one on out balcony squawking its arse off. In my last place we had one that would sit in the tree outside the window and start at about 5am daily.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:48 am

Craig wrote:Hey Chris,

Did they try calling the number on G&L's main website for Artist Relations / Endorsements? I don't think your recommendation is the right choice. Steve Grom is the Director of Manufacturing. They
need to talk to someone in Marketing/Sales. The best think for them to do is call the number listed on the website on the Contacts page.

Hope this helps.

Yes...and got no response...this was back in April. I realize that even though it might not have been Steve's job...but I'm sure he would have gotten James' request to the right person.

As always...thanks Craig for your help.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:03 am

Craig wrote:
Lefty wrote:G&L would benefit greatly by having one of their techs fielding questions. Just knowing that there is a contact at the factory to handle problems would result in improved customer satisfaction. Many of us acquire G&L guitars from the original owner, not a dealer.
Brice

G&L does have a team of three people for handling repairs (both in and out of warranty). Check the Support page on the main G&L website.
If you have a question about a G&L instrument, you should contact a G&L dealer, regardless whether or not you bought it from them or not. You can also post your questions here on the G&LDP.

Hope this helps.

Sorry I mis-spoke! I guess I "assumed" there was no one doing this. :o

Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:43 am

I agree, a "Good Ol' George" would be a great asset to G&L.

Cheers,

Will

Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:55 pm

Did the poll but here's more detail.

I would love to buy new but they just don't make Leo era, three bolt guitars anymore. :evilgrin:

In reality, I willl buy both depending on model, condition, price and finances. My first guitar was a used Musicmaster and most in between have been used, but new purchases include an ASAT Classisc Sig and a ASAT Z3 as well as tele knock offs and a Fender acoustic ages ago. The majority I own were purchased used. Fortunately G&L guitars are pretty consistant so new or used I don't have much fear buying used or even sight unseen.

I've always been a dog lover, no cats. My wife is severly allergic to cats to so no cats will come to the house. Having trouble with photobucket so can't post pics. Trust me, she does exist. Do dogs have the same no picture / no dog rule? :confused0077:

Fun week Tim, great stories as always, thanks.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:02 pm

Kodor wrote:
Craig wrote:Hey Chris,

Hope this helps.

Yes...and got no response...this was back in April. I realize that even though it might not have been Steve's job...but I'm sure he would have gotten James' request to the right person.

As always...thanks Craig for your help.

Hi Chris,

Have them try the number again and if they don't get any response by Friday, PM or email me.