BBE/G&L gives you one of these items FREE when you are Lunch Reporter, which would you pick?

Green Screamer $145
7%
Sonic Stomp $145
7%
Bench Press $215
21%
Soul Vibe $185
64%
382i Sonic Maximizer $142
No votes

Total votes : 14

Re: Lunch Report ~ Wednesay Sept. 22nd B-DAY SPECIAL!

Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:17 am

When I was LR I chose a sonic stomp, mostly to see what the hub bub is. It seemed to retain the low end on fast bass runs better when tweaked right, but did nothing for my guitar through a boogie. Probably should have gotten the compressor as I need it more for recording anyway (definitely need one).

Pizza, I tend to make my own on a stone. I gravitate towards the philly cheese steak pizza dominoes makes when I buy some though. The fried veg w/ steak, lots of cheese. My goodness it is fantastic. I have made some pretty stellar renditions of it myself too.

I discovered a lot after the fact, being born late 80's and listening to hard rock. The most notable is probably Danny Gatton though, most influential anyway. Such a phenomenal player only drives me further. I only found out about him within the last year.

For a radius, 14 or 16. I got 12 on my G&L as I HATE tight radii, they make the fingerboard into mush under me. I can play a 12 comfortably, but it was still settling for me.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:53 am

A big +1 on your participation comment. We have a lot of Lurkers out there. Participation is what
helps keep this website going. :thumbup:

Happy Birthday to Lindsey! I recently walked my daughter, Madeline, down the aisle. They just don't
stay young for very long.

I have long fingers and prefer the 12" radius necks.

Roy Buchanan was one that I discovered after he was gone. Danny Gatton was another but I discovered him shortly
before he left us.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:26 am

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:I'm curious! Do you have "big hands?" Usually I find folks with big hands (or big fingers) prefer a flatter radius ~ whereas smaller hands like the more curved radius.

Couldn't tell you Tim, as they are pretty normal sized to me :P . All my fingers are over 3" excepting the pinky, at 2.5". My palm is between 3-4 " also. so I have more palm than finger. I do a lot of lead playing but recently branched into country playing. I can do it all comfy on a flat board. The one thing that made me custom order the ASAT was I needed the 12" rad, I can play on a 7.5 after a minute or so, but it just isn't tip top so to speak. My fingers are also far from slender, so I prefer wide nuts too( all > 1/2 " wide) you done got me measuring stuff :D

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:40 am

If I were to choose a pedal, I would suppose it would be either the Green Screamer or the Soul Vibe. However, I'm really not much of a pedal guy, so the "free pedal" offer isn't all that much of a driving influence to do the LR duties. While I really enjoyed my one and only stint as a Lunch Reporter, and while I certainly wouldn't mind doing it again, my job takes me out of town quite frequently these days, so it's very difficult for me to make the commitment.

I'm with ya 100% on the participation thing! I'm really quite baffled by the fact that so many regulars seem to have bailed out of here once the new website was in place. I agree with many that the old site had its advantages, but it had its disadvantages, too. It seems to me that the single-most driving factor to be here in the first place is our interest in G&L guitars, right? So why let a little thing like a website upgrade get into the way of that?

Regarding the neck radius, I'll have to admit that I've turned away from many G&Ls for having the smaller radius. I'm a huge string bender, and nearly every 7.5" neck I've owned has fretted out, so I do prefer the 12" radius. On the other hand, my favorite two necks are a Fender and a Musikraft; both have the 9.5" radiius. They just seem to maintain the vintage feel while eliminating the "fret-out" issue. I would love to see G&L incorporate a 9.5" or 10" radius option into the mix.

I'd like to wish a "happy birthday" to Lindsay as well. Like Craig said, they don't stay young for long but, for that matter, neither do we....LOL. These days we're throwing birthday parties for six grandchildren, and one more is on the way.

Great week, Tim!

Jim

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:42 am

Tim,

Happy Birthday from Chicago to Lindsey! I just happens to be my son Patrick's birthday as well. He is 31 today and that is wierd because I am only 39.

They grow up too fast.

Years ago I started hearing Eddie Shaver and shortly afterword found out he had passed away. I felt terrible for his Dad, Billy Joe Shaver. Check Eddie and his dad out on youtube. This is not a flashy player but rather one that picks his notes out very carefully and has killer raw tone. A very strong player. He is missed. He is another reason why some drugs should never be messed with.

I can't believe you were not listening to srv while he was alive. The other night on pbs they showed the SRV/Albert King jam. This was made into a recording years ago but this was the first time the video has been shown in the usa. It was recorded in a small studio in canada. It is a great film and you really see where Stevie got most of his chops. There is a mutual repsect between the two men and Mr. King seems to be very proud of SRV. Albert was one of my favorites while growing up with the guitar and was lucky enough to have seen him in a very small bar when I was about 21 or so. Circa 1981ish.

My hands are not big and I get used to most necks after a short period. The Asat III I play was refretted about 3 years ago and I had them flatten the board a tad as well. I don't know what it measures but it is realy perfect for me now. The #3 neck on the Legacy you had made for me is also really nice. That guitar is a killer!

Take care and enjoy the birthday!,

y2kc

Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:11 am

1)POLL
I choose the Soul Vibe after my recent LR duties. A sweet pedal. I would have chosen the Green Screamer
but I already had one. Certainly is a nice little incentive to the LR.

2) PARTICIPATION
The does seem to be a decline in participation around here. Odd, cuz there seems to be in increase in
lurkers. I admit I'm not posting as much these days due to an ever increasing workload.

Some folks claim its hard to follow new posts on the new forum. It's been said before but I'll say it again, I
find it real easy just by going to the Forums then View Active Topics.

3) HAPPY B'DAY
The little ones do seem to grow up faster these days. When my youngen' was born people warned me the
time would fly by. Man they were right! Hope you enjoy here day.

4) AFTER THE FACT
I did see Stevie Ray a couple of times. But I still kick myself for passing on a chance to see him in a small
club in the early 80's after I first heard about him. But I'm a more distressed that a couple of my favorite
artists passed just AFTER I found out about them. Jeff Buckley and Kevin Gilbert both passed away months
after I got turned onto them.

5) RADIUS
I've got a 12" and 7.5" neck. No real complaints but the 7.5 is a bit cramped. I really wish they'd offer a 9
or 10 radius on the USA models. I played a couple of Tributes with the 9" neck and really, really, really
liked the feel of it.

Jeff

Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:39 am

I chose the Soul Vibe after my LR duties a short while ago. I am not big into pedals and I have still to take the pedal to practice to try it out in that setting.

For some reason the move from the old board to the new board caused a lot of regulars to drop out of sight. One person that I thought of that is conspicuously absent is Jay Wright, who is such a G&L devotee. I guess traffic for any discussion board can be a vicious cycle: the fewer people come by, the less frequent people will come by. I am happy to see at least some new participants joining up.

I have a daughter Lindsay also (but her name is spelled with 'a'). It is absolutely true that the kids grow up fast, but I am not complaining since I started parenthood quite late in life and I don't mind to be done raising my children before I get too run down and decrepit.

I've told the story of how my wife and I sat behind SRV and his band on a flight from Portland to Dallas back in 1990 and we still have autographs to prove it. I have to say back then I know of him, but was not familiar with his music. I'm not much of a blues fan, but "Lenny" and "Riviera Paradise" are enough to put him in the pantheon of greats.

Of my guitars the one with the best playing radius is my Godin ST-IV which according to the spec sheet (I kid you not) has an 11.5" radius. My 1975 Strat has the 7.25" radius which is a bit curvy for me, and I used to have a Carvin which had a 16" radius and I found that too flat. So for me around 10" to 12" would be ideal.

Kit

Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:59 am

First, a Happy Birthday to your daughter. I have a daughter - she is now seven and it is amazing how fast the time slips by.

Interesting thing you brought up about you and your Bro. It does seem that the geezers are different from the young 'uns in that many of us came of musical age during the folk revival of the early 1960s and often were into Woody Guthrie, Leadbelly, and Blind Willie McTell before we ever heard the Beatles. I discovered the blues in the early 1960s while going though a friend of my Dad's 78 rpm collection looking for folk music. I stumbled across Victoria Spivey and Lonnie Johnson's recording of "Toothache Blues." Not so sure I knew exactly what the song was about but I knew it was subversive and I was hooked.

Undiscovered talent - Cannot really think of anything. I have always had kinda odd musical tastes and listened to folks like the Fugs, the late British blues belter JoAnn Kelly, and Pearls Before Swine as well as more AOR friendly artists like the Byrds and the Stones.

Board radius. I guess I got used to the Fender boards because I always liked 'em. But I would opt for a compound radius board running from 7.5" at the nut to 9.5" further down.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:33 am

I too chose the Soul Vibe upon completion of my LR duties a couple of weeks ago. It's a very cool pedal and simulates the Leslie thing quite convincingly (actually it ranges from subtle to sea-sickening). I'm a bass player first and guitar player (a distant) second, so I'm not a big collector of effects, but I do like to have a few cool ones to play around with since they give me a little incentive to pull out the six-strings now and then.

Happy birthday to your daughter, Tim. I have two little ones -- just 1.5 and 3.5 years respectively, but I know what you mean about them growing up fast. It seems like just yesterday it was only me and my wife. Sure livens things up when you double the home attendance rate.

I don't seem to be terribly particular when it comes to fretboard radius, but I tend to prefer something flatter. I agree, a 10" radius might be a nice compromise. Anyone know what the radius in on the early L-series basses? I want to say they're 7.5 but they seem flatter than that (compared to the LB-100 I used to own which I know was 7.5), though not quite as flat as 12". Whatever the case, those get my vote for most comfortable bass necks ever.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Happy B-Day to you daughter Tim. They do grow up faster than you think and then they are adults.

Participation; I have been posting infrequently and as like Craigs daughter, Ginnys daughter was married less than three weeks ago. There was a lot of planning and the things that go with a wedding. I was unusually lucky as the bride and groom wanted our band to play the reception. That was a rush and what a blast! I also have three weekend gigs in September so as many others, I am short on time. In addition I have been up to my ears in Runestone activity recently. I have been a Lunch Reporter (April-2010), enjoyed it very much and hope that I didn't bore everyone to death. One of the challenges for the LR duties is to make it interesting for everyone. I am a musician but also into things technically and that makes it more difficult to keep people interested and many do no like technical details and yet there are others who cant get enough information. I received a Sonic Stomp for my LR duties and love it. I also have two 882 I's that we use for vocals. I am not much of a pedal guy but play both Bass and Lead/Fill guitar. My setup is different than most as I use a G3 wireless and swap guitars frequently into two different amps, my Custom 15 and a bass amp. I use an A/B switch with the Sonic Stomp behind the wireless and switch amps as needed. It is very easy and simple to switch to bass or another guitar. I would now like a Boosta Grande to kick up the leads.

There are many musicians that I have discovered after the fact. I was in the dark ages musically during the 70 through 90s period as I didn't listen to much of anything. So I get to discover many of the greats after the fact. I had discoverd John Jorgenson in the late 80's thinking he was a Wisc. kid only to find after joining this list that he was a Calif. kid. He is a great! I still have time to catch up to some more being the young kid that I am.

Flatter radius? With my 40+ guitars, there are many different brands and types of necks. I do not have a definite preference other than I do like a higher number radius overall. Having said that I do have preferences for certain necks. My Parker Southern neck is awesome. I like the G&L 12" radius. I generally gig with 2-3 guitars and I think that if I had to try one guitar it would be my F100 return. I will not gig it and hardly play it as it is an investment for me and I think it could be collectable. Many of my guitars I will not gig. Bottom line is that I would like a compound radius as the Fender American Deluxe Series has done and I hope that G&L is listening.

I am one who will participate more as winter approaches here in Minnesota. There are some members on this board from Minneapolis/St Paul that I would love to meet and jam with. Maybe that is an action item for me. I love this board as it has a bunch of good people and I am up to doing LR duties in the future if requested and deemed appropriate.

And Tim, I do really enjoy the BB web site as the pictures are very good. I am still looking for the next ONE!! Thanks for your LR reports!

Have a great day. I am!!!!!! :greet: Darwin

Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:55 pm

1) POLL:
The Soul Vibe is my choice since it's the only one I don't have, I will get one eventually since I like those warbally(sp?) sounds every now and then.

3) Happy 11th Birthday Lunch with Lindsey!
Amen. I started late, my three are, girl - boy - girl, the youngest turns three Saturday while the oldest is nine. :luv: I like to think having them later has given me both more patience and knowledge than when I was younger.

4) NON-G&LTOPIC – Discovery “AFTER” the Fact:
So my question is ~ WHO did you “Discover” only to find they were already gone?
Hey, it wasn't a cave, I did have a TV with a VERY LONG extension cord and some killer rabbit ears with tin foil wrapped around (am I dating myself? :) ) I guess I was late in discovering Django Reinhardt. Never being a young jazz guitar fan I only knew the name in passing, but when I was introduced to the sound, let's say I knew I was late to the show.

5) G&L TOPIC ~ In search of Flatter Radius:
I have always been a fan of the 7.5" but the 12” on my Z3 is converting me, especially for bends. I did have the HM Strat with a 17" board that was a shredders dream. Would like to get one of those in my hands again to see if it felt like I think it did.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:09 pm

Late Discovery: Arthur Lee (of Love). I encourage those here who are unfamiliar with him to find a copy of Forever Changes and give it a listen. http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Changes-L ... 215&sr=1-1 He was still alive when I discovered him a few years back, but he's gone now. What a songwriter and performer. Crazy life story to boot!

Radius: Anything but flat for me. Nine or ten would be just perfect, but I'm pretty flexible and have guitars with radii all over the place. Except very flat.
Last edited by zapcosongs on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:23 pm

Two more things I intended to say or ask:

I chose the Soul Vibe for the pedal poll, but if I didn't already have one, I'd have gone for the Green Screamer. The question was a bit open for interpretation...

Also, I was wondering whether the "one per year" rule with regard LR duty pedal premium was still in force, given the recent participation challenges we're facing here. Do you know? Thanks, and great job (as usual). - ed

Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Since I have a Green Screamer & Sonic Stomp, I'm going with the Vibe. I must add that BBE pedals are as well made and effective as any others out there, for my money. I don't use pedals a lot, but most of what's on my board are made by BBE.

Hey, I've become a fan of the 12" radius over the years. I still like ASATs as my fave model to play, but I lean more and more to the 12". All of the guitars I've had made are 12". By the way, I recently snagged a G-200. I'm not sure what neck it has, but that radius sure feels like it might be 12". It is a tone monster - far superior to the F100 - and lotsa fun to play. The neck has a great feel & the fingerboard suits completely.

I cannot believe that young lady is getting so old. I remember when you were hiding your geetars in the shop because you were afraid she would knock one over while running thru the house. Take it from one who's been there; treasure each day she's there & don't miss a birthday. You'll be walking her down the aisle WAAAAYYY too soon.

You're a great LR, Tim.

Jay

Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:39 pm

OK, Tim..... I started to omit this, but figure we've been friends so long that I have to confess "You told me so."

Soooooo.............. it's time to confess.

You know you've ridden my arse for years because I wasn't a Beatles fan. In my book, they were just ok - nothing compared to the Stones. In fact, you couldn't believe that I just didn't "get" why so many folks worldwide held them in such high esteem.

OK, OK..... this ain't easy, but I'm getting to it.............

Well, now I like 'em. The more I listen to almost any Beatles song now, I can understand why they have stood the test of time and even agree they deserve to do that. I can't even listen to a George Harrison lick without increasing my respect for his playing. In the last couple of years, I've written several songs. In the process, I've gained a lot of respect for the work of Lennon & McCartney. So, even though I wasn't a big fan when they were the hottest, I have evolved into one. And [this almost hurts to say] you are probably the one person who caused me to listen a little deeper and focus on HOW they won so many who hold them in such high esteem for over 40 years.

So, yeah, I kinda "discovered" 'em late.

Figured I might as well 'fess up.

Jay

Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:38 pm

1) POLL:
Well...the last time I was LR was sometime in 2009 I think...er maybe late 2008. I did get the Crusher pedal. Since then, I've added the WR MindredneB and the Sonic Stomp. So I would choose the Green Screamer next time...I'd like to compare it side-by-side with my modded TS-9. I was digging through some misc electronics parts at work several years ago...and found 2 new-old-stock OP amps identical to one of the ones used in the original TS-808s. I also added a yellow LED and changed the output resistors to carbon comps that also matched the same ohms as the TS-808.

2) Participation
I am certainly guilty of not participating much here lately. Work has increased tremendously since the re-org at work in January. I haven't even had time to lurk...so I have no idea what's been happening here. Also my kids are bigger now and both are in soccer. I'm also a little crazy...I've jumped back into school and started my Masters in Engineering Management...but it's only 1 class online at a time. I rarely get time to play my guitar...but I still play my bass on Sundays.

3) Happy 11th Birthday Lunch with Lindsey!
My daughter is 7...and going on 17! My son just turned 3 this past weekend.

4) NON-G&LTOPIC – Discovery “AFTER” the Fact:
So my question is ~ WHO did you “Discover” only to find they were already gone?
Well...SRV is probably the only thing that counts. He was alive when I was younger...but I wasn't into guitar or the radio much for that matter.

5) G&L TOPIC ~ In search of Flatter Radius:
Normally I don't like flat radii... :)

...but on my guitars...I like 12"...which is on my Legacy. The only thing I disliked about my old '86 ASAT (now belongs to Jaystrings) was the 7.5" radius on the #2 neck. My S-500 also has a #2 neck, but it's much thinner than the ASAT neck and I like it a little better.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:57 pm

Hey Kodor. Great to see you post recently!

Yeah, they do grow up fast, don't they....

If you ever have the chance, try to a/b the Green Screamer against the TS-Anything. You may be pleasantly surprised. I was.

Good on you for going back to school. Slow and steady seems like a good way for the times. Best of everything to you and yours. - ed

Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:38 am

I'd gladly take the Soul Vibe. It wasn't offered one when I did the LR earlier this year, so I grabbed the Opto-Stomp Compressor to go with my Crusher and my Green Screamer. I wouldn't mind a Boosta Grande or Free Fuzz if they ever come up. The one BBE device I'd really like to try is the Acousti-Max preamp for acoustic guitars. I could really use that.

Happy Birthday to your girl. You're a lucky man. I wish I'd had kids. Be good to her--she'll get to choose your health care options in your old age! LOL!

The only guitarists I can thik of that I wish I'd known more about when they were alive would be jazz greats Lenny Breau and Wes Montgomery. And then Freddie King.

My first good electric guitar was a c. 1960 Fender Duo-Sonic that I got back around 1966. I finally sold that guitar in 1970. The next was was my 1969 Telecaster Thinline. It was almost new when I bought it, but it was stolen in 1972. And then in 1973, I bought my 1960 Strat. I sold the Strat in 1990. Got my first G&L, an S-500 a few months after that. Point is, I'd played the small radius guitars for more than 20 years, but after I got the S-500, I was hooked. Of course, I'd had Gibsons during that time, but combination of the 12" radius AND the medium-jumbo frets was a clear winner. The Gibsons of the day had those wide-flat frets, and it was hard to get them to intonate properly. I tried an ASAT Classic SH a few years ago, but couldn't handel the small radius neck again, so I traded if straight-across for a Comanche. Good deal for both of us. The 12" radius is definitely my choice these days.

Sorry I haven't been around to participate more. I do love this board and people who participate.

Bill

Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:26 am

zapcosongs wrote:
Also, I was wondering whether the "one per year" rule with regard LR duty pedal premium was still in force, given the recent participation challenges we're facing here. Do you know? Thanks, and great job (as usual). - ed

Yes, it's still in effect, see the All About the G&LDP Weekly Lunch Reports post and the G&L Guidelines post.

Hope this helps.