Re: Lunch Report ~ Monday Sept. 20th

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:29 am

I may be eating the same thing today... Although, I like those pickled peppers.

I need posted pricing. My knowledge of the current market is limited. I do my best to resist impulse buying so that a little research can be done first.

Post-MusicMan, the adjustable pole piece MFD tops my list. They sound great and look interesting... It's time for a 7 string!!!

Regards,

replyman

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:18 am

Stores I go to have prices hanging on guitars generally, probably not a coincidence. I dislike when stores offer no haggle room though. My last 2 purchases however were give me that and leave (things like Mesas don't typically have any give even if you know the dealer well). Seeing as the guy I bought the G&L from was having 20% off all inventory, I probably could have gained some ground there. But I was putting in a custom order, and when it comes down to it he was doing a lot of extra work for me, so griping over cost just wasn't right.

My vote is the large or soapbar MFD single coil. First, it sounds superb. Second, it’s the MFD line that truly set them apart. Third – it’s just damn cool looking with the adjustable pole pieces and looks robust. Fourth – you can’t look at a SC-1, SC-2, Broadcaster, F-100, or L-2000 and not think of Leo! Pickups were his first love and the MFD just does it right. And while the MFD used in basses that impress me the most are those big humongous humbuckers in the L-2000, my favorite is he soapbar MFD used in the ASAT.

I am with you here. The Soapbar MFD is what drew me to the ASAT special, my first look was an eh' I want classic tele sound and look. Then I listened to demos, clips etc, and thought wow. Before I finalized my order, I played one. They are truly phenomenal pickups, kind of like a P-90 with clarity imo. They have oomph and hit hard, but don't looks the spank of a single when you want it.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:07 am

The Subway by me is pretty rough. There just isn't a good sub shop around here. Pricing instruments is mandatory for me. Haggle, no haggle; I need a place to start. I dig the MFD's too. Where else can you go for that???

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:57 am

True Story

I walk into my favorite little music store and stitting there is a 31 fret, Dan Electro longhorn Guitarlin.

"How much?" says I

"How much ya got" says the store owner.

Now I have been shopping at this store for some 6 years now and this reponse has become a tradition.
I think in all those years we have only ever reached an accord on the first round of negotiations once.

But I have my revenge -

I finally get the price out of him

"XXXX" dollars says he"

"Your killing me" says I.

Speaking of Arlington, the Dano will be down there so if you were hankering for one of these rare beauties you will get your chance.

Greatest G&L Innovation:

I will go with the saddle lock bridge. This induistrial strength looking piece really works.

I also have to cite the three bolt neck - Leo showing the knuckleheads at Fender that yes it can work.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:44 pm

I had a Subway meatball sub just yesterday. My son took me to the Redskins game and we got subway to fill up beforehand. Too bad the 'Skins lost! It was close!

Good Luck on the Lunch Reporter draft. Its a good idea to remind folks about the pedal offer. I hope someone steps up.

"Make offer" guitars- I usually just ignore them, unless its something that I really want. I few low-ball offers usually gets them to open up about what they are expecting to get but it is a pain to have to go through that to get there. I appreciate a price up front. Even if I don't agree with it.

What blows me away are the guitar prices for guitars made in the 70's and 80s. I know guitars are getting expensive, but some sellers think that they have a 59 Les Paul when it is just a 1980s Strat! LOL

What also surprises me is when people try to sell a damaged guitar or bass, with no mention of the damage.

The MFD bass pickup as on the L-2000 gets my vote.
Last edited by bassman on Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:05 pm

Well, I haven't done Subway in a while, but it's worth eatin'. I do appreciate that the assemblers wear those plastic gloves, providing they're not sneezing when they're wearing them.

If I don't see a price, I anticipate that it'll be too high for my liking, so I keep on hiking (as in walking).

While I really dig the large MFD's, I have to say that the smaller, rectangular MFD's in the early S-500's kick some booty. Too bad G&L didn't put those puppies in an ASAT body, isn't it? Maybe there's a prototype around somewhere for such a beast? Makes sense that it would have been considered.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:25 pm

MrRoundel wrote:While I really dig the large MFD's, I have to say that the smaller, rectangular MFD's in the early S-500's kick some booty. Too bad G&L didn't put those puppies in an ASAT body, isn't it? Maybe there's a prototype around somewhere for such a beast? Makes sense that it would have been considered.

Ah, but they did. Check out the ASAT III [pre-BBE].

Hope this helps.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:17 pm

Nice guitar, Craig, but those don't look like the early rectangular S-500 pups that Brian was was talking about.

BTW, I may be in the minority here, but I think Subway is absolute crap! - ed

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:34 pm

Tim make you a deal, you call up G&L and magically get my guitar in my hands for next week, then I will have something new to talk about and LR it up with my new toy(s).

Zapco, you may not like subway, but I think most of us can agree ezekial bread (based on a verse describing how to make bread during a siege out of the leftovers) is not our cuppa :happy0007:

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Just toast it, Brother. Toast it! - ed

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:47 pm

We are ordering from the same menu today, Subway was my lucky dinner this evening while travelling. Tried the fiery jalapeno tukey melt, that was passable for a quick meal. I lean to the veggie sandwich so I will now refer to it as the "yard clippings" sandwich in your honor. ;)

3) Non-G&L Topics: “How much is that guitar in the window?”
Agree with you on the mystery price tactic. I tend to avoid them, if I am interested I can be a bit sarcastic about the guitar, the price and the screws that are holding it together. :shifty:

From your perspective as a seller, what percentage of buyers buy off sticker price instead of bargaining hopefully for a better price?

4) G&L Topic of the Day ~ the Crowning Jewel of G&L.
My vote is the soapbar MFD used in the ASAT as well with the Z-coil configurations a close second. The reviews of Commanche are off the charts (Z-3 should be the same), so maybe we could see a report in a guitar mag on Leo and his pickups. As you said

Pickups were his first love

and these both give a unique tone.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:56 am

zapcosongs wrote:Nice guitar, Craig, but those don't look like the early rectangular S-500 pups that Brian was was talking about.
- ed

Yup, what he (Ed) said, I said. I have a couple of early ASAT III's, just not with the rectilinear MFD's. That's what would be interesting. Perhaps one of our resident experts could say whether such a beast (Rectilinear S-500 pickups in an ASAT body.) ever existed? It certainly could have, being that they were still putting the rectils (Hmmm, perhaps it's better not to shorten that one?) in S-500 special orders up until 1991 (GGJaguar).

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:28 am

MrRoundel wrote:
zapcosongs wrote:Nice guitar, Craig, but those don't look like the early rectangular S-500 pups that Brian was was talking about.
- ed

Yup, what he (Ed) said, I said. I have a couple of early ASAT III's, just not with the rectilinear MFD's. That's what would be interesting. Perhaps one of our resident experts could say whether such a beast (Rectilinear S-500 pickups in an ASAT body.) ever existed? It certainly could have, being that they were still putting the rectils (Hmmm, perhaps it's better not to shorten that one?) in S-500 special orders up until 1991 (GGJaguar).

Oops, I guess I need to move up that Eye Dr. appointment :oops:

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:06 pm

I just wanted to add another thing: I attempted to buy an ASAT Classic Butterscotch w/ GOT neck LH from Guitar Adoptions. He has it listed for sale, but the guitar doesn't exist. He'd have to order it! Why advertise all over the internet an instrument that doesn't exist? I would have bought it TODAY. I believe that these are just traps for search engine purposes and trick people into the store.

So, my gripe is with music shops that advertise instruments that they don't have in inventory. Oh, and instruments that are actually on consignment and not listed as such.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:24 pm

That lefty sounds interesting. I may give you a buzz about that one. So, no ASAT 50 LH's lying around? Man, I'd love a G&L "Esquire". BTW, that non-existent guitar wasn't en-route. Just listed a guitar that was sold long ago. Hey, I get it. For search engine purposes the more content and links the better. Just not better for me.