Open Mic Lunch Report Monday, Sept. 13

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:03 pm

OK, I have not been around much the past couple of weeks so will make amends by pitching in although it will have to be quickie.

First - Any other lap steel players out there?

I love these things. You can get a sound out of them unlike anything else. The biggest problem with the vintage ones is some, like the early Fender lap steels, have been cannabalized for their pickups and pots. My favorite lap steel is the Valco/National Oahu Tonemaster. If Jimi Hendrix played a lap steel it would be a Tonemaster. It has a hot, double stacked, custom-made Supro pup in it that can really get down and nasty. Yummy.

Second - G&L has decided to come out with a new line of "theme" guitars and has thrown it open to us all to design. So what is you plan, your idea that will turn the guitar playing world on its head. Here is my entry for the ultimate Worship Band Guitar category.

That's all folks.

Re: Open Mic Lunch Report Monday, Sept. 13

Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:08 pm

G&L does so good with their finishes, I always thought it would be cool to have finishes done up like your favorite college or pro sports team, with perhaps a name or logo on the back or the lower bout. Like a Purple Metallic Legacy with gold hardware and a GOT, birdseye neck with a big gold "W" on it for my Washington Huskies. Or a scheme with the Seahawks gunmetal gray and the lime green accents? Yeah, I'd buy one of each!

Bill

Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:03 pm

For any of ya out there who doubts Woof speaks nothing but the gospel when it comes to the lap steel, have a look.

If this don't get your juices flowing and your ass a moving I am afraid there is no hope for ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAbbgSKUZB4

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:15 pm

First - Any other lap steel players out there?
Wish I was. Will one day get my Will Ray Z3 version for some of the bends but I know Will's lap don't quite sound like that! :shh:
I live for Jerry Garcia's lap steel with CSNY, but I know how Jerry affects you Zomby, or is his lap steel forgiven?

Second - G&L has decided to come out with a new line of "theme" guitars and has thrown it open to us all to design. So what is you plan, your idea that will turn the guitar playing world on its head. Here is my entry for the ultimate Worship Band Guitar category.
Nice choice, I have a few bands in that genre I would love to see sporting G&L's. If I were to go in a different vein, maybe TV and Disney, since they are so close to the magic kingdom. How about a Batman version - re-release the Broadcaster with special Batman logo's and effects, or a Gilligan's Island theme with a smokin red Ginger version and a sexy little Mary Anne (yer choice of knobs and toggles :searching: ) or a CSI version where we are just trying to figure out what it will do (think Studio VI crossed with WR and the two Jerry's, that is Cantrell and Donahue). Let's see what they throw our way! :alright:

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:17 pm

Not a steel player, I have been known to break out a slide now and then though, at least when I had a glass one, I hate the sound of a steel slide on an electric.

I came to G&L as they did stuff like make 'super telecasters' as I would dub em. Otherwise, I am conservative, I like super strats, teles... My neck through is alright, getting a new pickup going, see how that goes. I think the whole pointy= metal is nonsense. Iron Maiden melted my face with a bunch of strats.

G&Ls take on a carved top might be cool, but that is hardly theme. They would need to step up showcasing their finishes though (sure most are good people have, however their advertising of them... no high quality pictures to be seen) I have also not seen many figured tops from G&L (standards) that can run with the other big boys (PRS, Carvin, Suhr, etc) More utility than flash imo, and there isn't anything wrong with that. Maybe leather covered guitars, for that authentic country smell :P

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:37 pm

Hey Sirmyghin,

Not a steel player, I have been known to break out a slide now and then though, at least when I had a glass one, I hate the sound of a steel slide on an electric.

Have you tried a Mudslide or a Big Heart ceramic slide? I have both and these have overtaken my glass slides. Get one if you can, btw the Bug Heart three sided version is way fun. Rock on.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:42 am

I haven't, I infact never bought another glass one either. I lent it to a friend, who then went to college and claims he returned it, couldn't get a glass at the time so grabbed steel, and hated it, never used it again... I will check that out.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:54 am

sam wrote:
Have you tried a Mudslide or a Big Heart ceramic slide? I have both and these have overtaken my glass slides. Get one if you can, btw the Bug Heart three sided version is way fun. Rock on.

Since I never learned how to play lap steel proper and just kinda figured it out myself, I often play with two slides - a bottleneck (made from a Fighting Cock Bourbon bottle) on my first finger and a Will Ray Stealth Slide on my ring finger.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:43 pm

Those lap steels are way cool, Zomby.

I know that an MFD would just kill in one of those guitars.

Its not feasible for G&L to make a lap steel but I would like to make one with an MFD.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:57 pm

Hey Bassman -

You got me thinkin'. Why wouldn't it be "feasible" for G&L to make a lap steel? An MFD-loaded lap steel would (to my addled mind) be a uniquely fine thing. Or maybe G&L/BBE could develop and supply an MFD pickup for this application that another company could use as an option in its product line. I mean, why the heck not? - ed