Lunch Report for Friday, September 10, 2010

Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:39 am

Lunch Today: I don't have one with me and I am getting hungry! I may go to Potbelly for a roast beef sandwich and a raspberry flavored iced tea. Yum!

I rehearsed last night with a singer named Nadine Rae. She can really belt out the blues and we, The Capital Blues Ensemble band, are backing her up this Saturday at the Greenbelt Blues Festival. The Festival is outside in downtown Greenbelt outside of the New Deal Cafe. It will go from 12 noon until midnight and I don't know what we are getting paid for this gig. It sort of depends on what the crowd gives us. This is called The Blues on a budget. LOL
Ironically, the CBE band is not doing a set as ourselves. We are backing two singers, Johnny Graves and Nadine Rae.

Aside from this gig, I actually got offered another gig while driving to work today.
Another bassplayer asked if I could sub for him tonight and I took the gig! Its nice to be wanted.

Today's Questions:
Have you ever backed up a singer and had to learn a bunch of new material and arrangements rather quickly?

Do you have a favorite G&L guitar or bass that you use when going into unfamiliar playing situations?

Tomorrow is September 11. Do you think that we, as a nation, should offer some more solemn commemoration on this day than we tend to do or do you think that the amount of respect and reverence given is appropriate?

Have a great weekend!

-bassman
Last edited by bassman on Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:28 am, edited 4 times in total.

Re: Lunch Report for Friday, September 10, 2010

Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:46 am

Never backed anyone, never been asked. I am sort of a closet wonder (or so I like to believe), although extremely capable most people don't know it. I have offered to help folks with parts on recordings and whatnot but I have either been not required or not wanted (without being heard either way)

In a sort of 'you can only bring one" I would bring my only good bass :P , and for a guitar my C66C as it can get convincing quack, good HB tones, Dual humbucker, and an odd coil combo or 2 (inner coils, inner neck outer bridge, inner neck bridge HB)

Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:23 am

Congrats on being in high demand, no more standing on the corner with sign saying "will play bass for food!" :lol:

No back up requests for me. No headliner requests either. :confused0007:

Do you have a favorite G&L guitar ot bass that you use when going into unfamiliar playing situations?
My trusty '88 ASAT would be the one to take if blindly asked to come play.

September 11
As a nation we probably commemorate with appropriate amount of respect and reverence as is.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:39 pm

[Never backed anyone, never been asked. I am sort of a closet wonder (or so I like to believe), although extremely capable most people don't know it. I have offered to help folks with parts on recordings and whatnot but I have either been not required or not wanted (without being heard either way)

A good way to get heard is to attend an open mike in your area. You will find out for sure if people like you or not. I am not saying that everyone has to like you, but playing in front of people has a way of really honing your skills as a player. The nerves kick in and you have to learn to play through them.

You will also find out how to back someone when you are called upon to do it. That is valuable learning.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:29 pm

bassman wrote:
[Never backed anyone, never been asked. I am sort of a closet wonder (or so I like to believe), although extremely capable most people don't know it. I have offered to help folks with parts on recordings and whatnot but I have either been not required or not wanted (without being heard either way)

A good way to get heard is to attend an open mike in your area. You will find out for sure if people like you or not. I am not saying that everyone has to like you, but playing in front of people has a way of really honing your skills as a player. The nerves kick in and you have to learn to play through them.

You will also find out how to back someone when you are called upon to do it. That is valuable learning.

Not a whole lot of there here, I used to play out, it has just been a while. Nerves are there, but not the kind that effect my playing. Not to mention I don't have any single bass arrangements to blow the top off with.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:24 pm

Hey bassman, please check your PM mailbox.

Thanks,