Lunch Report -- Thursday, 9/2

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:47 am

I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to do for lunch today. There's a great little Neapolitan style pizza place across the street that never disappoints, but band practice ran pretty late last night and I'm thinking I might like something really spicy to help keep my eyelids propped open. To that end, I'm leaning toward the creole joint again. They make a shrimp etouffee that can melt glass. I'm a big fan of spicy food and this dish (also available with crawfish instead of shrimp) is one of the spiciest in town. I think I'll save the pizza for tomorrow and see how the fiery stuff sits atop the remains of last night's beer. Fingers crossed ...

Today's G&L family photo is the last of the series. I do own a couple of other basses outside the G&L brand and while I realize it's fair game to post them here, I think I'll refrain out of loyalty to Leo. So behold our last visual installment for the week, the inimitable SBs (as before, the photo quality leaves a bit to be desired):

The SB-1 on the left is an '86 that qualifies as a true rustic. This one shows the most wear on any bass in my collection. I think one of the previous owners must have played in a punk band and worn this thing around his knees, because there are deep pick scratches above the guard. As you can see, it sports some impressive forearm wear on the contour (which doesn't exactly jibe with my punk/knee-level theory). Despite being the second year of production of the 2nd generation SB-1, this particular example has the factory installed "prototype" Schaller PBX pickup (virtually identical to today's DiMarzio Model P). While some might bemoan the lack of an MFD, the PBX is a super fat sounding pup. Not the same as what now adorns the SB series, but nothing to scoff at. Of all my basses this one cops the vintage P tone with the least amount of effort (she's wearing Chromes, which helps in that regard) -- set it and forget it. I consider this one a "rescue" bass. When I got her she was wearing a pearloid guard that was not a perfect fit and had some ugly, worn gold toned knobs. I did my research and ordered a single-ply matte black guard from Chandler (the OEM for G&L guards) and lucked out to find a pair of knobs off an early SC-2 on eBay, the same style used on the 1st gen SB series and early 2nd gen SB-1 models. Aside from a couple of extra holes beneath the guard to make the pearloid guard fit, she's pretty much as good as stock now. Frets are pretty well worn, but nicely level so the action is just right. I figure keeping her strung with flats will help avoid (or at least postpone) a refret which I'd rather not spring for anytime soon.

The SB-2 on the right is a mid-90s three-bolt model. Not sure of the exact year, but it was my first G&L purchase back in 1996. Ten years later I took her in for a pro setup and the tech discovered that the truss rod bullet was frozen in place. It was then that I realized it had about a month left on the warranty so I frantically contacted Chris Robosan at G&L and, long story short, a bit over a month later had my bass back with a completely new quarter-sawn neck. I have to say, the service was a big boost to my already high opinion of the company. Shortly thereafter I sold a Thunderbird that wasn't really working for me and bought another SB-2 brand new. That one, though great, has since moved on.

I've got a first generation SB-2 (allegedly) being shipped to me as we speak. Another eBay adoption, but sadly it doesn't look like it will arrive in time to be featured in this week's report.

G&L discussion topic of the day: This one relates to the picture above. Have you ever acquired a G&L that had been modified and attempted to "restore" it? Ever come across one that was mangled (routed for a non-stock pup, etc.) and modify it further into something else entirely? I've had several come to me or pass through my hands that I've tried to leave in better condition than I found them, but the SB-1 here represents my greatest effort, in that those knobs are something of a rarity.

Not-exactly-G&L-related topic: Are you a tinkerer by nature? Are you more likely to buy instruments with an eye toward modifying an existing platform to your heart's desire, or are you more the type who looks for all the features you need/want in a pre-configured package? I have one Frankenbass (J) I've toyed around with, but generally prefer to keep my more expensive buys stock. That's one thing I like about G&L. The bridge is (IMO) as good as they get. They don't cheap out on tuners or electronics. Generally nothing to do to 'em as far as I'm concerned, unless one comes along in condition similar to the SB-1 above.

Well, untill tomorrow folks ...

Fats

p.s. Picking through the users who have posted this week, I'm having a hard time finding anyone who hasn't already handled the Lunch Reporter duties recently. Anyone who's not had a chance yet care to step up? This being my first time at bat, I can attest it's an enjoyable exercise (and the free stompbox is sure to punctuate the whole experience nicely). Speak up! First newbie volunteer gets it!

Re: Lunch Report -- Thursday, 9/2

Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:15 am

Not-exactly-G&L-related topic: Are you a tinkerer by nature? Are you more likely to buy instruments with an eye toward modifying an existing platform to your heart's desire, or are you more the type who looks for all the features you need/want in a pre-configured package? I have one Frankenbass (J) I've toyed around with, but generally prefer to keep my more expensive buys stock. That's one thing I like about G&L. The bridge is (IMO) as good as they get. They don't cheap out on tuners or electronics. Generally nothing to do to 'em as far as I'm concerned, unless one comes along in condition similar to the SB-1 above.

Well, untill tomorrow folks ...

Fats

I am not a tinkerer, I tend to take axes at face value most of the time. The exceptions are SS frets, Love em, feel they are a must if I can help it. I am going to give G&L with their plek and supposedly good wearing frets a chance however. My recent excursions were merely fixing a factory 'mod' that was done improperly, in the process I bunged a lot and then learned a lot about guitar circuits. I may have to change some pickups soon, as although I love what I have I am looking for a greater harmonic content. I am also planning to get into doing fretwork on my own (I have exacting standards), so that as the G&L wears, I will hopefully have a leg on it. I have a DC that needs some smoothing out, and if I get good at diagnosis my bass I think has a high fret or 2 on the treble side ( backbuzz w/ action below .016 w/ 45's). I like to be able to do all this myself as I would like to build axes when I have a house, and the fact some of these things are personal, a 'perfect' fret job may not be perfect for some peoples particular setup preferences. (albeit it is one of the least subjective things).

p.s. Picking through the users who have posted this week, I'm having a hard time finding anyone who hasn't already handled the Lunch Reporter duties recently. Anyone who's not had a chance yet care to step up? This being my first time at bat, I can attest it's an enjoyable exercise (and the free stompbox is sure to punctuate the whole experience nicely). Speak up! First newbie volunteer gets it!

I think this has to do with the 'active' population getting asked first. :D

Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:58 am

Have you ever acquired a G&L that had been modified and attempted to "restore" it?
I have an old Climax body that was going to be a project but never materialized as hoped. Look for body and parts in marketplace soon. Other than that, my restoration capabilities are minimal. :roll:

Not-exactly-G&L-related topic: Are you a tinkerer by nature?
By all means. Have changed p-ups in many and added switches to a few. I believe all ASAT's should come with stock 4 way switch or at least be given the option. :evilgrin:

Thanks for sharing pics this week, great to see what is in the hands of the reporter.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:20 pm

If I remember correctly, you got a fantastic deal on something that looks a lot like this one....????

Mine is actually a very, very dark blue (I think they called it Bahama Blue, but it's the darkest example I've seen). I got this last year off the 'Bay, and paid just about what you did (but less for shipping). However, you win (assuming ours are in similar condition) because you got an OHSC, while I got a cheap, ill-fitting cardboard-like POS with mine. I would love to get my hands on an original case, so if anybody reading this happens to have one just lying around...... ;+)

Man, you are going to like your new instrument. Hard to describe, but it is very present and in-your-face aggressive sounding. It's that MFD and Maple magic it's got going on. Those pickups are wonderful, and the slab body just feels so, so, so, uh... solid!

What was the question? - Ed

Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:34 pm

G&L discussion topic of the day: This one relates to the picture above. Have you ever acquired a G&L that had been modified and attempted to "restore" it? Ever come across one that was mangled (routed for a non-stock pup, etc.) and modify it further into something else entirely? I've had several come to me or pass through my hands that I've tried to leave in better condition than I found them, but the SB-1 here represents my greatest effort, in that those knobs are something of a rarity.

I have a 1st gen SB2 that is beat to hell but not modified. I actually had to ask the seller for the original radio knobs because there were two P-bass knobs on the bass that were so corroded, one would not come off. He had the original SB-2 knobs on His Precision Bass! So he gave them to me. But I got no case with it.

I am a tinkerer, but I leave original equipment alone. I feel that there are enough aftermarket bodies and necks around to mod and try any ideas on.
I have enough maintenance issues with truss rod tweaking and fixing bad jacks to keep my tinkering to a minimum.

I have a Legacy with a changed bridge pickup, a SD JB jr. . I may get around to putting it back to stock, but I now have the JB jr. as a single coil anyway and it sounds pretty good.

I am happy that all of my G&L basses are stock and I am not interested in modifying any of them.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:44 pm

Man, between your last post, zapcosongs, and the original thread I started about this score you guys are helping to keep me itchy about this. I'm trying not to dwell on it 'cause it's easy to lose focus waiting for the big brown truck. Still keeping my fingers crossed that it arrives in one piece and has no major issues (never count your chickens, right?).

Yours looks to be in great shape. Can't believe that's actually blue. There's nothing in the listing to say mine's black but I'm assuming it is since it's one of the more common colors on this model.

Yeah, shipping was a premium on this one, but I always factor that into what I'm willing to bid. I know some people who will totally disregard a listing if they feel the shipping charge is too steep, even when the bidding is still low. Never understood that. What difference does a few extra bucks shipping make if you get it for a song (as I feel I did in this case)? But bless them all, I guess, because if it weren't for that attitude I might still be searching for one of these in my price range. :happy0007:

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:19 pm

Yo MCFats -

I intended (but neglected to) complement you yesterday on your clear dark red hog bodied L1K. Man, that thing is absolutely stunning. I haven't researched the registry or anything, but I can't recall seeing many (any?) quite like it. Cool beans! - ed

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:03 pm

Thanks, Ed. It is something of a rarity, I think. I posted a picture of it on another site when I first got it and our own GG Jaguar asked me whether I was sure it was mahogany and not maple (which was used on a handful of these, most often with a transparent finish). When I assured him it was a 'hog, I believe his comment was, "outrageous!" That's saying something, considering he's an expert on all things G&L and has what may be the largest collection of L1000s ever amassed in one place. It sounds as good as it looks. They'll be prying it from my cold hands when I tip over, so you won't be seeing that one listed for sale any time soon.