Lunch Report -- Tuesday, 8/31 (meet the family, part 1)

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:22 am

Happy Tuesday, y'all ...

I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to do for lunch today. I've got plenty of work today and the weather's kind of grim, so rather than venturing out I think I'll grab a salad from the Trader Joe's next door and dine at my desk. Such is the life of the one-man IT shop. I'm lucky enough to work in an area with lots of food options, all of them a cut or more above the sort of fast food junk I try to avoid these days (my metabolism ain't what it used to be when I was in my early twenties and could eat whatever garbage I wanted without fear of gaining weight ... sigh).

I mentioned yesterday that I'd take the LR opportunity to post some pics of the G&L family. My wife was late getting home with the kids last night, so I actually had a chance to snap some photos. Unfortunately, the camera available to me wasn't the greatest (no idea where my wife or son hid the newer one), but they'll do in a pinch.

So we'll start today with the 6-stringers in my collection. Meet the F-100s:

I guess you could say I caught the F-100 bug fairly recently because both of these are relatively new to the collection. I've loved the look ever since the first time I saw one and was intrigued by the flexibility all those cool knobs and switches afford. I haven't gotten around to dating them because I've haven't taken the time to check the neck pockets, but I believe them both to be circa '81.

The ash/ebony number on the left is a Series II and sports the lower serial number of the two. It's a recent eBay rescue. As I recall, mine was the second bid and I got it for a song, I suspect because the listing was a bit short on details and the pictures were lousy. You can't tell from this photo but the body sports a good number of chips to the finish along the lower bout. One of them runs up along the body seam and I was a bit nervous the two halves might be separating when I placed my bid, so I kept it low. The seam was, in fact, visible when she arrived, but didn't appear to be threatening to actually split. Nonetheless, I gave her a couple of passes with some #10 superglue just to make sure she'd hold up for the ages. A real player, this one. The pole pieces are the slot variety. The neck is in great shape with lots of fret life.

Her hog/maple sister on the right is a Series I that was purchased from the marketplace on this very site. It's a weighty one, but has tone for days. Aside from some finish checking and a couple of worn spots on either side of the nut (reaction to a stand or hanger?) she's in gorgeous shape for her age. Aside from a little spot on one knob, the chrome is all intact and there are no major dents or dings. This one has hex pole pieces. The frets are a bit more worn on this one but are nicely level and it's a dream to play, although I think I prefer the flatter radius of the Series II by a hair.

G&L related topic for the day: Who among you has had a chance to play both a "Leo era" and newer style F-100? I've never gotten my hands on a reissue (perhaps better categorized as a reboot?), but they look sweet. I do have to say I'm a sucker for the chrome plate and busy control layout, though I could see the simplified electronics being a benefit when playing live. Anyway, I'd be interested in your thoughts if you've had a chance to compare the two.

Non G&L related topic: Assuming you own more than one guitar/bass, is your backup the same model as your primary instrument, or are you more likely to go for variety? Or maybe you have plenty of variety in your collection but tend toward similar instruments for playing out. I can see pros and cons to both approaches. Personally, if I'm headed to the studio, I'm likely to take two (usually no more) basses with different sonic strengths (or maybe one wearing flats and the other rounds). But when I play live, I prefer to have a backup that's closer in tone and output to whatever is my go-to for that particular gig. How about you?

Tomorrow it's "Meet the Wunkays" day here on the Lunch Report! Be sure to tune in, ya hear?!

Re: Lunch Report -- Tuesday, 8/31 (meet the family, part 1)

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:56 am

Lunch Report errata:

Decided to opt for a tuna sandwich from the cafe down the block instead of the Trader Joe's salad option. They make a tasty one on rye with chopped green onions, tomatoes (can tell these are in season now -- nice and ripe) and grated Hook's cheddar cheese, which is great stuff that comes from a town called Mineral Point, just southwest of here. If you haven't heard, cheese and beer are two of the things we do best in WI, though don't be fooled. There's plenty of mediocre stuff to be had too. It's just that there's a great variety of great stuff (whether you're talking suds or curds) if you know where to look.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:20 pm

Madcity Fats wrote:G&L related topic for the day: Who among you has had a chance to play both a "Leo era" and newer style F-100?

Unfortunately not me. I do own a F-100 Return Edition that just screams but have never played a Leo-era F-100. But see next...

Non G&L related topic: Assuming you own more than one guitar/bass, is your backup the same model as your primary instrument, or are you more likely to go for variety? [/quote]
I'm a complete sucker for a single model: the G&L ASAT, but in all its varieties. Among my 16 ASAT there is not a duplicate. Even my 3 Bluesboys are different: a spalted maple top on alder with push-pull split of the neck pickup, a solid alder from the original Buffalo Brothers series, and an ash semi-hollow, and they all sound a little different. As far as going into the studio, I'd bring this 'arsenal': PRS 245 Sunburst, ASAT Classic (in open G), Phyllis Model, and Trinity. Takes care of about anything.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:24 pm

Non G&L related topic: Assuming you own more than one guitar/bass, is your backup the same model as your primary instrument, or are you more likely to go for variety? Or maybe you have plenty of variety in your collection but tend toward similar instruments for playing out. I can see pros and cons to both approaches. Personally, if I'm headed to the studio, I'm likely to take two (usually no more) basses with different sonic strengths (or maybe one wearing flats and the other rounds). But when I play live, I prefer to have a backup that's closer in tone and output to whatever is my go-to for that particular gig. How about you?

Never played an F-100, can't help there. My collection is varying instruments. I have a neck through and bolt on equipped with humbuckers, the NT is hardtail, bolt is floyd. I don't have a second bass currently, haven't needed one, but looking at a Carvin SB. I have an ASAT special being built right now, to add yet another dimension to what I have around sitting for guitars, this one will be geared at classic rock and country.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:16 pm

G&L related topic for the day: Who among you has had a chance to play both a "Leo era" and newer style F-100?
Played a couple of 80's series I before in different guitar shops and still wish I had picked one up. Have not had hands on a "reboot" but don't look at this version in the same light based on electronics, layout and p-ups.

Non G&L related topic: Assuming you own more than one guitar/bass, is your backup the same model as your primary instrument, or are you more likely to go for variety?
All of mine are ASAT's and tele's but no duplicates. Closest is two 62 re-issues with different p-ups. G&L's are all different incarnations. So I guess I am a variety guy. Not gigging so if one is out of commission no big deal. If was gigging all I can think is either change set list or tweak sound based on guitar set up. Nice ones ya got there dude!