Lunch Report -- Monday, 8/30

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:26 am

Greetings GLeeks!

By way of introduction, my name is James and I've had a G&L monkey on my back since 1996. I'm Wisconsin born and bred and live with my wife and two future rock and rollers (ages 1.5 and 3.5) in Madison, which some of you may have already deduced from my user name. I've been playing guitar since about age 15 and it was a couple of years later that I picked up a bass, which these days is my main instrument.

As stated, 1996 was the magic year for me. It was then that I test drove my first G&L, a 2nd generation SB-2. I'd finally reached the point (and budget) where I decided I needed to stop borrowing a backup for gigs and despite playing everything I could get my hands on, the G&L above all impressed me with its playability and tone. The one I auditioned was a bit out of my price range at the time, but I later found one at a store out of state and bought it sight unseen. Days later it arrived beautifully set up and perfectly in tune right out of the box. I was a convert.

Since then I've bought two more new G&L basses and several used guitars and basses. These days I have chronic GAS for what we've all come to know as the "Leo era" instruments, though I still get pains for things new and shiny (there's nothing quite like that new guitar smell). Like a lot of players who are also responsible parents of moderate means, I have a self-imposed limit on the number of instruments I keep around, so several have moved on to other homes. The current G&L family consists of 4 basses and two guitars. I hope to post pictures of them all this week and use the opportunity to upload some of them to the gallery. Got to get on that tonight.

And now for the lunch part of the lunch report (about time, huh?). Today will be red beans and rice with a cup of chicken curry soup from a local creole takeout joint appropriately named New Orleans Takeout. It's one of those places that is consistently good and this particular menu option has become a Monday standby. Seems particularly appropriate given the anniversary of Katrina.

In the interest of fostering some forum activity, I figure I'll try to post a couple of discussion topics each day this week, one G&L related and the other not-so-much. So here goes ...

G&L related discussion topic for the day: The company approaches you to create your own artist signature edition. This can incorporate any existing design elements old and new as well as anything unprecedented you can dream up. What's the dream instrument to which you'd append your John Hancock? Don't forget custom color options! (This has probably been discussed before, but if we learn anything from Leo's legacy it should be never to become complacent and always keep innovating.)

Non-G&L related topic: Just recently our own Ken Baker recommended this tool to me as a great way to remove rust from pickup pole pieces. Even though I don't yet posses the instrument that inspired this recommendation (hope it's here in time for one of these reports), I've already found several little jobs for it (thanks, Ken!). Is there a special tool or technique you've discovered over the years that's helped you keep your instruments in peak condition? Share the knowledge!

Until tomorrow,

Fats

Re: Lunch Report -- Monday, 8/30

Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:43 am

Well, not really sure on a signature model with anything whacky. It would absolutely need Stainless steel frets though. A blower switch is a nice tool too (or lead switch, when on bridge bypasses controls and is on 11). A wide C neck with a flatter radius than G&L offers would be nice (14 is nice). A tele with a floyd could be fun :D. I do not generally care much for that sort of attention, nor do I have the creativity/ active modding the makes my needs only met by custom creations. I have been considering adding a sustainer to my 'closet guitar' just to give it a specific use.

So maybe an invader, floyd rose, sustainer in the neck, burl top, natural finish, flat radiused with a blower/regular/bridge on switch (I want to complete this mod on my guitar, I have the bridge on/off, but a small mod I figure can make it the blow with a 3 way DPDT (on/off/on) instead of a 2 way. Preferably H-H. Pickups something very harmonic and nice, good bite too.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:52 am

Madcity Fats wrote:Greetings GLeeks!

By way of introduction, my name is James and I've had a G&L monkey on my back since 1996. I'm Wisconsin born and bred and live with my wife and two future rock and rollers (ages 1.5 and 3.5) in Madison, which some of you may have already deduced from my user name.

G&L related discussion topic for the day: The company approaches you to create your own artist signature edition. This can incorporate any existing design elements old and new as well as anything unprecedented you can dream up. What's the dream instrument to which you'd append your John Hancock? Don't forget custom color options! (This has probably been discussed before, but if we learn anything from Leo's legacy it should be never to become complacent and always keep innovating.)

Non-G&L related topic: Just recently our own Ken Baker recommended this tool to me as a great way to remove rust from pickup pole pieces. Even though I don't yet posses the instrument that inspired this recommendation (hope it's here in time for one of these reports), I've already found several little jobs for it (thanks, Ken!). Is there a special tool or technique you've discovered over the years that's helped you keep your instruments in peak condition? Share the knowledge!

Until tomorrow,

Fats

Hey Fats!.....another James from WI here, but you may remember that from the old board. I lived in Madison for about 10 years myself but eventually found my way back to the cusp of the northwoods near Stevens Point. I still manage to find much of my work in Madison, though. On the other hand, I can't say I was born and bred in WI, for some might coin me as a FIB (inside joke).....LOL.

I don't know that I've ever really wanted a signature model of any brand of guitar, for I've always played a variety of models and have never settled into any particular thing.

That pen sanding tool looks to be pretty convenient, though. I may have to scarf one of those sometime soon.

Great start to the week!

Jim

Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:55 pm

Jim P wrote:Hey Fats!.....another James from WI here, but you may remember that from the old board. I lived in Madison for about 10 years myself but eventually found my way back to the cusp of the northwoods near Stevens Point. I still manage to find much of my work in Madison, though. On the other hand, I can't say I was born and bred in WI, for some might coin me as a FIB (inside joke).....LOL.

Hey, Jim. Good to hear from you again. Hope all's well.

I'd never call you a FIB since you purified your soul in the waters of Lake Mendota ala Purple Rain (you did do that, didn't you?). Anyway, the term stems, I believe, from some manufactured argument about lousy drivers (that or some jealousy about ownership of prime Door County real estate) and these days it seems like 95% of cars on the road are operated by lousy drivers, so the term holds no meaning to me.

Realized I should submit my own "Madcity Fats Signature Edition" bass specs while I'm at it. It would be similar to an L-2000 but with a split single coil MFD in the neck pup positioin. Controls would be V/V/T with a single toggle borrowed from the L1K design to control coil switching on the bridge pup (humbucker/single coil/OMG). Neck would be similar to the early 1K/2Ke profile with a nut width of 1 5/8". No opinion on color options but matching headstock would be stock (or black on natural finishes) and fretted ebony would be an option.

Okay, who wants one?

Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:59 pm

Madcity Fats wrote:Greetings GLeeks!

Fats

Nothing fancy, but one that I'd like to see combines a bit of a Bluesboy with an Asat Deluxe.
Picture if you will, a Bluesboy but with a saddle lock bridge and rear mounted controls. I think I might like a 9.5" radius neck too. Make mine a semi-hollow with f hole and honeyburst or tobacco sunburst finish.

Jeff

Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:06 pm

I'd like to see an ASAT Classic with a soapbar MFD/P-90 in the neck position. One piece neck w/ maple fretboard & Abalone dots and one piece swamp ash body too... Oh, and no plastic thing in the back. I have a Suhr with the same layout...

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:05 pm

Well now I've got three folks in WI that I'd like to meet. I've been wanting to catch up with Jim for some time, and I have a virtual friend (ha!) near Sheboygan who sold me a sweet guitar through eBay a decade ago that I want to catch up with someday as well. Hmmmmm.

I need a signature model like I need a third ball, but I've long thought that G&L ought to do more with it's "Mustang" shaped body. How about a bass guitar model or two utilizing that very distinct body pattern? In the six-string realm, how about loading that revisited SC thing with humbuckers, or with three alnico singles or three small mfds a la SC-3? How about using that shape to unvail a new G&L pickup option, hopefully something along the lines of a vintage P-90?

As for maintenance tips and the like, I'm the wrong one to ask (though I'm a big fan of trying to keep temperature and humidity levels fairly constant, which is tricky to do through the seasons, actually). Nice start! - ed

Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:02 pm

Hey Fats,

Passed through Madison a couple of weeks ago, great town and great zoo! Free to visit and easy to manuever.

G&L related discussion topic for the day: The company approaches you to create your own artist signature edition.
So many options from the G&L bag that it's a hard call. Mine will always be an ASAT variety and have a Will Ray flavor. I did see a cool option from the Godin boys in today's Guitar Player ad. A USB input for direct play into computer :shocked003: Now that could be an option to force me into this new fangled computer age! Really, that is cool. 8-)

Is there a special tool or technique you've discovered over the years that's helped you keep your instruments in peak condition?
Find someone with more talent to play it! :lol:

Thanks for jumping in on the LR.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:23 am

Ed, if you ever make it to Madison, be sure to give a shout. I can point you to a few hot spots and recommend some great local beer (if that's your thing).

Sam, glad you enjoyed your time here. I hadn't been to the zoo in quite awhile until my kids came along. Now it's one of our preferred weekend destinations. Even with the overpriced concessions it's a bargain since admission is free. I still find the experience bittersweet sometimes, but as zoos go it's a very humane environment, I think. I know the staff is top notch (probably helps to have a large talent pool in the biological sciences at the nearby university).

Here's a tech tip for y'all: If you want to make short work of putting a mirror shine on those frets, use a Dremel tool with a polishing tip and a drop or two of your preferred fretboard cleaner (I prefer pure orange oil). It will take you more time to tape off your frets (essential with a finished maple fretboard but not so much with rosewood or ebony). The Dremel is one of those tools I don't use all that often, but when I do find a job for it, it's a life saver (not to mention time saver). And it's proudly made right here in Wisconsin!

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:04 am

Madcity Fats wrote:
Here's a tech tip for y'all: If you want to make short work of putting a mirror shine on those frets, use a Dremel tool with a polishing tip and a drop or two of your preferred fretboard cleaner (I prefer pure orange oil). It will take you more time to tape off your frets (essential with a finished maple fretboard but not so much with rosewood or ebony). The Dremel is one of those tools I don't use all that often, but when I do find a job for it, it's a life saver (not to mention time saver). And it's proudly made right here in Wisconsin!

Now this is a good one, my nickel frets are a little rough on my DC, and I wager frets will get route on my ASAT over time.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:01 am

I'm looking for one of those glass prep pens. I like new ways to attack and remove rust.

I like stock G&Ls enough to just ask for a L-2000 with an ebony fingerboard.
Kind of like their 30th Anniversary bass.

I just did a gig with my black Tribute L-2000. It's a great bass and I used it because it matched my shirt better than my sunburst USA L-2000.

I will try to find and post a picture later.

My maintenance tip: When you buy a used guitar or bass with a rosewood fingerboard and a removeable neck. Take off the neck and steel wool the fingerbard to remove dirt and grime. The use a lemon or orange oil treatment for the wood and the guitar/bass will look fantastic when it is reassembled.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:31 am

I've done the very same to clean a rosewood board, bassman. Only instead of removing the neck, I put some clear packing tape (easily removable and leaves no residue) over the pickups. You can always tell when someone's gone to town with the steel wool and left the pickups exposed. They start looking like those magnet-doodle toys we had as kids, and I'm not sure you could ever remove all the tiny shards after that.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:31 am

Madcity Fats wrote:Non-G&L related topic: Just recently our own Ken Baker recommended this tool to me as a great way to remove rust from pickup pole pieces. Even though I don't yet posses the instrument that inspired this recommendation (hope it's here in time for one of these reports), I've already found several little jobs for it (thanks, Ken!). Is there a special tool or technique you've discovered over the years that's helped you keep your instruments in peak condition? Share the knowledge!

Some things I bear in mind whenever using abrasives around the pickups:

1. I never, EVER, use steel wool or other ferrous abrasives around the pickups or strings. The magnets will suck the stuff into the windings and raise all kinds of Hell and it just seems to love getting into the outer winding of strings - round or flat wound. If I do a major cleaning of the neck and it involves steel wool on the frets, the neck is removed and the steel wool is used with orange oil to clean, rejuvenate, and keep the steel dust under control.

2. When I use the glass fiber abrasive pen, I keep a vacuum nozzle right in there to suck up the dust. Rust dust can be abrasive as can the glass fiber dust, and it's best to do everything possible to keep both out of the windings.

bassman wrote:My maintenance tip: When you buy a used guitar or bass with a rosewood fingerboard and a removeable neck. Take off the neck and steel wool the fingerbard to remove dirt and grime. The use a lemon or orange oil treatment for the wood and the guitar/bass will look fantastic when it is reassembled.

And it'll smell all citrusy & stuff!

Ken...