Lunch controversy for Monday 08-23-2010

Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:06 pm

Lunch was kinda-sorta breakfast and lunch after I got Marie back from the orthopedic surgeon. Your basic home made breakfast burrito. Eggs (fully cooked), a little Mexican cheese, a couple diced up Farmer John breakfast sausages, salt & pepper. Simple.

Was it really a Student Bass?

Saw this news piece the other day, which lit up a light bulb (however dim) and made me start digging around a little bit. All that digging found this, this, and this.

I'm not sure how much weight I want to put into the idea of the "SB" series basses being student basses. They were pro stuff from the get-go. Still, that seems to be the prevailing sentiment. But Leo & warbirds just seemed to go together.

Discuss.

Ken...
Last edited by Ken Baker on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Lunch controversy for Monday 08-23-2010

Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:30 pm

Sounds like a fun plane to drive, can't say I would ever get in anything that had 'poor handling' and 'inadequate stability'.

A G&L a student instrument eh? Maybe a dream student instrument. I still have not laid hands on a G&L bass however (possibly out of fear of purchase :P), so cannot really comment on them. Seeing as how we have ASAT, comanche, and who knows what else (not me). I would say you might be on the right track.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:32 pm

Interesting find, Ken. My first G&L was an SB-2 (2nd gen) and it was years later that I heard about the whole "student bass" designation. I think I must have laughed my head off because at the time that bass put every other I'd ever played to shame. I've also heard rumblings that SB stood for "standard bass" but that seems even more vague in a way.

I guess you could consider the slab bodies a budget feature since they represent a shortcut in manufacturing. And yes, the controls are relatively simple on the SB and SC models (I once wondered why the guitar model wouldn't have been the abbreviation for "student guitar," until I realized Gibson already had a claim on that one). But like you say, everything else is pure G&L goodness. I guess the slightly smaller body could have been aimed at the still-developing (physically, that is) player, but I know plenty of adults that like these guitars specifically for that feature. For that matter, I also know a few players who have an aesthetic preference for slab bodies (ASAT, anyone?).

I wouldn't put it past Leo to have been fully aware of the warplane, however. I have two G&L guitars, both F-100s which are not to be confused with this beast (note the "Sabre" tie-in and it starts to become obvious that Leo was thinking along these lines even before G&L was incorporated):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Amer ... uper_Sabre

Funny this should come up today, because I just snagged a 1st gen SB-2 off the 'bay this afternoon. Can't wait to see if it makes me feel younger and less experienced to play it.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Interesting references...
HellDiver would have been a good name for an 80's kahler equipped G&L guitar , or bass .

thanks for jumping in today

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:43 pm

sirmyghin wrote:Sounds like a fun plane to drive, can't say I would ever get in anything that had 'poor handling' and 'inadequate stability'.

They seem to have gotten the evil handling mostly squared away. Still, I've read stories about how many the WWII fighters were just plane difficult to keep flying.

A G&L a student instrument eh? Maybe a dream student instrument. I still have not laid hands on a G&L bass however (possibly out of fear of purchase :P), so cannot really comment on them. Seeing as how we have ASAT, comanche, and who knows what else (not me). I would say you might be on the right track.

I dunno. I'd kinda like to get Greg in on this. We'll see.

Ken...

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:47 pm

Madcity Fats wrote:I wouldn't put it past Leo to have been fully aware of the warplane, however. I have two G&L guitars, both F-100s which are not to be confused with this beast (note the "Sabre" tie-in and it starts to become obvious that Leo was thinking along these lines even before G&L was incorporated):

He probably was aware. OTOH, his military naming seemed current for the era and didn't look backward. I did find a military SB1 that was actually period correct, but it was a British prototype for their strategic bombers.

Funny this should come up today, because I just snagged a 1st gen SB-2 off the 'bay this afternoon. Can't wait to see if it makes me feel younger and less experienced to play it.

Pics....

At my place too! :D

Ken...

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Elwood wrote:Interesting references...
HellDiver would have been a good name for an 80's kahler equipped G&L guitar , or bass .

I was thinking that as well. OTOH, the SB-2 ain't exactly a hair band bass (though it could be based on tone).

Ken...

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:59 pm

Ken Baker wrote:
Madcity Fats wrote:Funny this should come up today, because I just snagged a 1st gen SB-2 off the 'bay this afternoon. Can't wait to see if it makes me feel younger and less experienced to play it.

Pics....

Well, this is the best I can do for the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0480951550

I'll snap some better ones when it arrives (I really need to get some "family" pholos up in the gallery section). It was sort of a last minute bid so I didn't have the chance to harangue the guy for more details. Hoping it's a real player with no major issues.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:07 pm

Wow - that kind of price borders on larceny. If it's in good condition the border will have been crossed.

If you can get your hands on one of these:

you'll find it a nifty tool to remove the rust from the iron pole pieces. It's a glass fiber abrasive tool.

Ken...

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:43 pm

I love the first style SB-2. Congrats to the guy who has one coming his way.

As to "student"-ness of the SB instruments, they do have fewer features than other G&L basses of that time (many had active circuits, all the rest were humbucker loaded and had contoured bodies), and even the cases are less deluxe. That stated, great basses that more then hold their own. I personally prefer the slab backs.

-Brock

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:06 am

I have a first generation SB-2 and it rocks. I have heard of the "Student bass" designation and all I can say is I wish my students would be so lucky as to have a SB-2 to play.

The 1st gen Sb-2 has a sound and fidelity that is unmatched by other basses. It is really unique.
My Lynx bass is the same thing with a contoured body.

I don't know of a single coil, passive bass that beats it.

The second gen. SB2 is cool too.
Last edited by bassman on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:34 am

Ken Baker wrote:Wow - that kind of price borders on larceny. If it's in good condition the border will have been crossed.

I know it. Trying not to get my hopes up, but I figure even if it requires some work to make it playable, I'm sitting pretty. Aside from the bit of rust, it appears to be in good shape. The guy has a spotless rating, so I'm assuming he have mentioned if there were a problem with the electronics. It's the truss rod that's the real wild card, I figure. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the tip on the nifty tool. Never seen one of those.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:35 pm

Regarding the meaning of "SB," I just came across this eBay auction for a G&L ad that at least implies that "SB" might mean "Small Budget."

http://cgi.ebay.com/1983-G-L-SB-1-SB-2- ... _500wt_928

By the way, I have to agree with Bassman, Brock and others who have been mightily impressed by the first-style SB bass guitars. Like MCFats, I lucked into one of these things at a great price, and although I don't pretend to play bass, even a moron like me can appreciate the feel, sound and simple yet powerful appointments of this wonderful beast. You really did get a fantastic deal on a wonderful instrument. Enjoy! - ed