Thursday Lunch Report

Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:40 am

Lunch: Today's lunch will probably be Chinese buffet.

Guitars: Have you played any guitars that were made of something other than wood? I've seen plastic, plexiglass & carbon fiber guitars. What did you think of them?

Racing: In Tuesday's lunch report I mentioned a badly injured driver at the race I attended Monday night. His name is Jack Dover and is condition is improving but he's very beat up. Here's a newly released video of the crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8BLpv_VgNI&feature=player_embedded

How do you post a youtube link on this new site?

Sprinter 92

Re: Thursday Lunch Report

Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:57 am

No clue on the posting youtube videos, never been able to make it work here either.

I have not played any composite guitars, but I would really like a carbon acoustic. I live in Southern Ontario and do truss rod adjustments all summer. A carbon acoustic could easily not require much work. I hear Parker's carbon fretboard and coating on the neck make their necks quite stable also.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:13 am

Sprinter 92 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8BLpv_VgNI&feature=player_embedded

How do you post a youtube link on this new site?

Sprinter 92

It's quite simple and when you mouse over the youtube box in the editor, you will get the Help line text
which is Enter the video ID string -- the video ID string is the part after v= in the URL.
Then click on the youtube box and the following will be added in your editor window:
Code:
[youtube][/youtube]

So, you would add the identifier after the v= from the youtube URL and the entry should be:
Code:
[youtube]v8BLpv_VgNI[/youtube]

Here's the video:

[youtube]v8BLpv_VgNI[/youtube]

Hope this helps.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:30 am

I have only played one non-wood guitar (unless you count one of them plastic Mickey Mouse guitars you wound up with a crank on the side when I was a young 'un). I picked up a used 1969 Dan Armstrong Lucite beast in the mid-1970s. I liked the way it sounded but that sucker weighed as much as a boat anchor. Also there was some mysterious force that made it go out of tune alot.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:00 pm

I love those "Chinese Buffets", but they make me puff-up from all the salt/MSG...

I own a graphite composite Ovation: love it. They tried an all-composite Project Q, but it was too expensive to market.

That crash looks rough. I doubt even Ricky Bobby could walk away from that.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:29 pm

Just the aluminum strat.. not so good in my opinion...

Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:11 pm

ChrisPcritter wrote:Just the aluminum strat.. not so good in my opinion...

I agree...I had one and as cool as it looks it sounded pretty bad.

I do like my alvarez strat graphite neck on my mim strat body.

Cheers

Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:30 pm

Chinese buffet sounds good right now.

Guitars: Have you played any guitars that were made of something other than wood?
Picked up a lucite one at a show once long ago, don't remember much it. I would like to try one of James Trussart's steel tele's. :)

Glad to hear friend's condition is improving.