Wednesday Lunch Report

Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:54 pm

I'm back home for a few days and back to work.

Lunch: Today's lunch was meatloaf, green beans, and potato salad.

Guitars: If you own a factory aged/relic guitar and you accidentally bump, scrape or ding the finish does it's value go down?

Cars: I'm big time car guy. Technically I'm a big time truck guy, I'm not a big fan of cars. The other day Craig showed us a picture of his good looking Corvette! What do you drive? Are you into performance, fuel economy, or pure function like a minivan?

Here's my hot rod: It's a 2010 Chevrolet, Silverado 1500 4x4 with a 403 horsepower 6.2 liter engine. I like power and four wheel drive. The engine is very similar to the one in Craig's Vette and the new Camaro SS.

Here's a couple of pictures I took at Rapid Speedway in Rock Rapids, Iowa. It's nice to see a few of the old county fairground tracks still running.

I didn't realize when I took this pic that I also got a good picture of some guy pulling his pants up. :o

Sprinter 92

Re: Wednesday Lunch Report

Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:59 pm

Ain't gonna get into what happens when you relic a relic - the mind wobbles a bit too much.

I have never known you not to have some big mother truck.

Here is my truck - a 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton which I have yet to pull out of a friend's garage where I found it. One of those I will get to it someday projects. The sucker does run - just don't look all that good going down the road.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:08 pm

Your lunch sounds just about perfect to me, Sprinter. I take it you're a good cook?

I was actually thinking about you today, with GM filing for it's IPO and all. What are your thoughts on that? Would you consider investing in the company? I'm thinking I might pick up a few shares... Do you think the Fed did the right thing by stepping in and saving GM?

I like your truck. Liked Craig's Vette as well. Yours ride would surely work better for my family, I do believe.

I like your guitar-related question. Made me laugh, actually. Truth is I don't know what the answer would be! - ed

btw, don't hit me but I drive a red '08 Toyota Corolla S (the Sport version). Built right here in the USA! Got me a moonroof, satellite radio, and bluetooth (whatever the hell that is!).

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:46 pm

Relicing a relic eh? I saw a fender 'roadworn' last time I was in a big store (acquiring my amp that can call down NASA if you know the right control combination). For fun I wanted to play it, take it to the counter, ask how much, then haggle based on the damage it has sustained while acting oblivious. That it what I think of prerelic'd guitars.

I don't drive, currently. I will have to get my license this year, and get my 2nd class (maybe even final) before I finish my master's degree as my job will probably require it. Why I do not have a license is a longer story, safe to say it wasn't from delinquency however. I would probably drive something 'economy' because I am very cheap. As long as it gets me point a to point b, can move my gear, and gets good mileage, I care not.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:18 pm

I was all into hot cars when I was younger and kind of thought I had outgrown it a number of years ago...I even remember thinking that...it was probably about 10 years ago. And within a few days of thinking that I saw a new Corvette and a new Mazda RX7 (I think) and was all ga ga over them, so I guess I didn't, really!

But for me at this age, it's all about practicality, so we have a couple of Hondas...a 2001 Civic and 2004 CR-X.

But I my grandfather had a 1960 Chevy Bel Aire in great condition that I would have loved to have, very little if any rust on it and ran great. Unfortunately I was living overseas and had no money when he died 15 years ago!! He had worked at a Chevy dealership and had bought a spare engine for it that I don't think had ever been used!

Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:26 pm

zombywoof wrote:Ain't gonna get into what happens when you relic a relic - the mind wobbles a bit too much.

I have never known you not to have some big mother truck.

Here is my truck - a 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton which I have yet to pull out of a friend's garage where I found it. One of those I will get to it someday projects. The sucker does run - just don't look all that good going down the road.

Neat looking truck, Thom! If I lived a little closer I'd help you with it.

Sprinter 92

Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:48 pm

zapcosongs wrote:Your lunch sounds just about perfect to me, Sprinter. I take it you're a good cook?

I was actually thinking about you today, with GM filing for it's IPO and all. What are your thoughts on that? Would you consider investing in the company? I'm thinking I might pick up a few shares... Do you think the Fed did the right thing by stepping in and saving GM?

I like your truck. Liked Craig's Vette as well. Yours ride would surely work better for my family, I do believe.

I like your guitar-related question. Made me laugh, actually. Truth is I don't know what the answer would be! - ed

btw, don't hit me but I drive a red '08 Toyota Corolla S (the Sport version). Built right here in the USA! Got me a moonroof, satellite radio, and bluetooth (whatever the hell that is!).

I'm an OK cook, but todays lunch was at the deli located inside of the Country Mart grocery store.

I plan to buy some shares of GM stock when they become available. I'm glad the government stepped in and saved GM & Chrysler. Not only did it save a lot of jobs but it kept the auto industry running. Most people don't realize that most auto manufactures share components. All BMW automatic transmissions are made by GM. Ford's new 6 speed front wheel drive automatic is also a GM tranny. There are many more examples of manufactures making parts for each other. If any of the larger manufactures went out of business the auto industry would come to a halt.

Sprinter 92

Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:54 pm

Muleya wrote:
But I my grandfather had a 1960 Chevy Bel Aire in great condition that I would have loved to have, very little if any rust on it and ran great. Unfortunately I was living overseas and had no money when he died 15 years ago!! He had worked at a Chevy dealership and had bought a spare engine for it that I don't think had ever been used!

It's too bad that you couldn't get that car. My grandfather had a '61 Ford, Galaxie and I wish I could have got it when he sold it. The Galaxie was a white two door with red interior.

Sprinter 92

Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:46 am

My criteria for a car are reliability, safety, room for the family and occasionally moving stuff, good in bad weather, and economy. I drive a 2004 Subaru Legacy wagon. Actually this car is a bit less reliable than my 1997 Legacy wagon, but that was totalled in 2004 when someone ran into me and pushed me into the car in front of me.

Kit